Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bowie - RIP

Comments

• Options
    No doubt Sky/BBC and whoever will be re-playing the David Bowie Documentary of a couple years ago - if you get the chance, watch it - highlights that he also wrote music for other people that i wasnt aware of - for example Mott The Hoople with All the Young Dudes and chronicles his music history.
    I am so saddened by the passing of an amazingly talented genius of a human being.
    Although, like someone else said, i saw him live at Wembley Arena in about 87 - and he was rubbish !!
  • Options
    No doubt Sky/BBC and whoever will be re-playing the David Bowie Documentary of a couple years ago - if you get the chance, watch it - highlights that he also wrote music for other people that i wasnt aware of - for example Mott The Hoople with All the Young Dudes and chronicles his music history.
    I am so saddened by the passing of an amazingly talented genius of a human being.
    Although, like someone else said, i saw him live at Wembley Arena in about 87 - and he was rubbish !!
  • Options

Was talking about labyrinth last week saying that i was going to buy it for the kids.

Absolute legend and an absolute shagger to boot!

That was my favourite film as a kid and my kids love it now, there were rumours of a sequel coming out next year, not sure how true that was but no doubt it's off the cards now
  • Options

I'm shocked. Blackstar has been just released. It's totally unbelievable....

Back in 2010 and 2011, I spent quite some time on a Chinese movie website helping promote Duncan Jones' Moon and Source Code. I did it volunteerily and got very positive feedback from thousands of movie fans. When Duncan himself heard of this, he personally packed a big parcel of gifts and sent it all the way from LA, USA to Wuxi, China. Yes he did it himself, which I almost couldn't believe.

It's a sad day for music lovers across the world and it's also a sad day for all those who like Duncan Jones and his films. Duncan rarely talks about his father publicly because he said he always wanted to develop a successful career on his own. He is probably the most humble and down-to-earth director I can ever think of and from the one interview where he did talk about his father, it was obvious to see that his father had been a huge influence in his early life and how he became a successful director and a good-natured person. It's a big shame that Bowie didn't live to see Warcraft the biggest project of his son's career to date which will be released in the summer. But I sincerely hope the film will be a success and something that his father would have been proud of. (Sorry if this last sentence is grammatically wrong but I guess you know what I mean)

Lovely story J, well said.
  • Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/obituary-david-bowie

Just one of many fine obituaries, I'm sure. But it picked me up and made me think, in the midst of the sadness, that was one hell of a life.

Which film is it he was in, that starts with Bauhaus' Bela Lugozi's Dead? Is it the one with Catherine Deneuve?
  • Options
    Forever Starman RIP
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/11/obituary-david-bowie

Just one of many fine obituaries, I'm sure. But it picked me up and made me think, in the midst of the sadness, that was one hell of a life.

Which film is it he was in, that starts with Bauhaus' Bela Lugozi's Dead? Is it the one with Catherine Deneuve?

It was The Hunger @PragueAddick
  • Options
    Can't really add to what has already been said, except to add my RIP.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Saga Lout said:

Can't really add to what has already been said, except to add my RIP.

this.

Gutted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Releases new album, features in new video, dies. What a class act.
  • Options
    So shocked, the context of the recent album makes it especially sad

http://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8
  • Options
    Just been talking to my old man, he saw him at the Three Tuns as David Jones.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

So shocked, the context of the recent album makes it especially sad

http://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8

Have been listening to Blackstar today. Hard to think of anything other than the pain he must have been in and the fragility of his voice on some of the tracks. That said, it is a fragility that really touches you knowing what has happened today. Lazarus, Blackstar & I can't give everything away standing out, but it's difficult knowing he's left us.
  • Options
    To be honest @TelMc32 don't / won't want to listen to it.
  • Options

To be honest @TelMc32 don't / won't want to listen to it.

I know what you mean @Miserableoldgit I got it on Friday, but only got to listen yesterday. Just feels like he put everything he had left into it. Definitely worth listening to.
  • Options
    RIP David Bowie. This has really shocked me as it was so unexpected. I saw him a few years ago in San Jose, California. Brilliant. He's a music icon.

I think his final album will be a blockbuster best seller. He planned it which makes it even more poignant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This man was an enormous part of my teens, saw him at Wembley arena may '76 (station to station tour) and he was phenomenal and he became a symbol of original imagery and a creator of great great music which you sometimes had to listen to many times to really get into . What an impact a human being can have. 'Memory of a free festival' was a memory of a concert he gave with others at Croydon rd recreation ground. He lived at Plaistow grove; all very local to me. What a bloke.
  • Options

David Jones was in the year below me at Bromley Tech and we both performed at the annual school concerts which was organised by one of the teachers David Lane (Music and R.I.). David played the sax in a short lived school adhoc R&B group, he wasn't the lead singer ......I played some piano solos......I managed to get to a few of his Sunday evening Art Labs at the Three Tuns which was mainly folk influenced...1968/9.

Dont suppose you remember Jane Eggar who was at the art labs and who was in my year at Croydon Art college where Bowie had attended I think the year, or so before,( apparently he was involved with some film making in a very loose sense) A few of my art college pals lived around Beckenham one was David Hunter who used to drink at the three tuns,(He has just posted some photos on Facebook.) another was Gale Bennett .who saw him play locally several times, supporting Tyrannosaurus Rex, (Bolands original group)
    Brian Grimwood the illustrator went to Bromley Tech, and knew Bowie....claimed that David came home every Christmas?
  • Options
    Shocked ! He was my biggest music idol growing up. Spent hours listening to his albums. Just downloaded Blackstar and had a tear in my eye listening to Lazarus. RIP
  • Options
    I'm just watching the BBC news. The first 15 minutes, were a tribute to Bowie.

So so sad. I'm proper gutted. He had an aura of invincibility. I'm still shocked.
  • Options
    Nice tribute from Robert Elms today on Radio London.
  • Options
    Major part of the soundtrack of my life like many of us.
    Certainly the major artist of the 70's.
    RIP
  • Options
    I wanna glass of water......
  • Options
    Legend is a word so easily used but not warranted these days
    RIP David Bowie Legend
  • Options

David Jones was in the year below me at Bromley Tech and we both performed at the annual school concerts which was organised by one of the teachers David Lane (Music and R.I.). David played the sax in a short lived school adhoc R&B group, he wasn't the lead singer ......I played some piano solos......I managed to get to a few of his Sunday evening Art Labs at the Three Tuns which was mainly folk influenced...1968/9.

Dont suppose you remember Jane Eggar who was at the art labs and who was in my year at Croydon Art college where Bowie had attended I think the year, or so before,( apparently he was involved with some film making in a very loose sense) A few of my art college pals lived around Beckenham one was David Hunter who used to drink at the three tuns,(He has just posted some photos on Facebook.) another was Gale Bennett .who saw him play locally several times, supporting Tyrannosaurus Rex, (Bolands original group)
    Brian Grimwood the illustrator went to Bromley Tech, and knew Bowie....claimed that David came home every Christmas?
    As I wasn't in the 4A/5A art set at Bromley Tech, I wasn't part of that definite cool set 'managed' by Peter Frampton's art teacher dad. Peter was also at the school for a short time maybe three years younger than me. David was already dying his hair which in 1962/3 was way ahead of his time. George Underwoood you might have known who was close to David and went on to create his album covers and for many others. He is still around and successful. If I knew the other's you mention it would have been only for a short time ......oh so long ago!