Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bowie - RIP

Comments

• Options
    Ashes to Ashes - my favourite video, ever.
  • Options
    Appreciate the reply, Croydon art college friend posted on facebook.......
    Yes that was the first of numerous times I saw Bowie perform....and he was just doing mime at that concert as a support to Tyrannosaurus Rex in fact. Still got the programme from that concert.

Saw him doing early Ziggy stuff at Wallington a few years later and the hall wasn't even that full. Also heard him play a totally acoustic set at one summer festival.
  • Options
    Think this is the pub yes. photo taken today.......He took one at the bandstand as well.......

• Options
    I'm intrigued as to what the younger generation , say under 30, have to say and think about Bowie and his music.?
  • Options
    He clearly knew his 'time' was coming - have a read of Billboards album review written last week.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/6836029/david-bowie-blackstar-album-review
  • Options
    Really sad to get this news this morning. Bowie was a true inspiration and I was so lucky to see him live three times, including what was one of his last ever concerts in Prague in 2004. Having a Bowie binge tonight - Station to Station on at moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Me & the Mrs saw him live three times - firstly at Bingley Hall, Stafford (a converted cattle market) in 1978 when he did a lot of the Station to Station album - we were right at the front and Bowie was magnificent - a born performer with a superb voice and a voice range few could match.

Second time was at Milton Keynes Bowl in July, '83 on a scorching summer's day - gig was to promote the 'Let's Dance' album.
    A day I will never forget - he was that good and his band were supreme.
    The Beat were supporting that day.

Finally 1987 at Maine Road, Manchester for the Glass Spider tour - my least favourite only in that the album didn't reach the heights of others - but still a stunning show.

Hearing this news is worse for us than when Elvis died.

The man is a legend, a music genius, a lyrical master and it is so good that he was able to finish his last album, 'Blackstar' before he died - and to very positive reviews - http://www.nme.com/reviews/david-bowie/16363.

In Bowie's own words, 'We live for just these twenty years - do we have to die for the fifty more' - almost prophetic lyrics - and what a life and what a star.

Feel privileged to have been a part of the Bowie generation and witness the influence the man had on such a wide range of musical genres.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I'm intrigued as to what the younger generation , say under 30, have to say and think about Bowie and his music.?

Well, whilst travelling with my 27 year old daughter today (she was driving) I mentioned in passing that David Bowie had died.

Her response was, "Sad, what song is he famous for?"

I am afraid I sang the back catalogue to her all the way home, after momentarily thinking about throwing myself from the moving car in disgust!

I thought about it after. For my generation it is a bit like Elvis dying, I think anyway. He was part of my growing up.

RIP
  • Options
    Local lad... I drank in the old rat and parrot pub garden alot a lifetime ago....which has the plaque on it ... Huge influence when I was a teenager... Big shame...
  • Options
    I have a desk job and a big plus is that I can listen to music all day long. Listening to The best of Bowie ! What a talent. We were privileged to have grown up listening to this music.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

they'll ask if he emerged from The X Factor or Britain's Got Talent

• Options

I think a lot depends how important music is to their parents. I've tried to share my music with my sons and have taken special care to listen to theirs. They are 26 and 24 and although not as big a fan of Bowie as I am they still fully understand his importance and legacy.
  • Options

they'll ask if he emerged from The X Factor or Britain's Got Talent

I am 35 and spent the day in the office with Bowie being played by by a 27 year old colleague. He said his passion was passed on by his parents.

A few of us said that you just don't get true musical icons nowadays. As successful as Ed Sheeran is, can anyone imagine the same reaction in 30 years time? Bowie represented a whole culture and moment in time. Music is too fragmented and readily available nowadays.
    Regardless of whether or not he was groundbreaking (he was), his music is genuinely moving - who can say that about any of today's best selling artists?

There is still amazing music being written but you have to search harder for it and few have the patience in this day and age.
  • Options
    When my 12 year old came home from school today I asked him how his guitar lesson went at lunchtime. He explained that when he got to the music block all he could hear was David Bowie blaring out.

His guitar teacher, Mr Taylor (a former session musician, dating back, I believe, to the 60s) greeted him with a comment about "poor Dave." "Did you ask Mr Taylor if he knew Bowie then?" I enquired with all the enthusiasm of someone brought up on a musical diet of Bowie and Bolan in particular.

"Er no but I tell you what I could hardly hear the riff Mr Taylor was showing me how to play (from Free's "All Right Now" - none of the stuffy classical stuff I was made to learn at the very same school back in the 70s) even though we had the door closed to our room".

"Couldn't Mr Taylor have asked those pupils to turn it down a bit then?" I asked. "Dad, it wasn't pupils - it was other teachers playing Bowie whilst looking on their phones" was his response.

Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers
    Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
    (Turn and face the strange)
    Ch-ch-changes
    Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
    Time may change me
    But I can't trace time
    I said that time may change me
    But I can't trace time

• Options
    Absolutely gutted.
  • Options

Legend
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    As a fan for over 40 years I was saddened to hear Nicky Campbell announce the news at about 6.50am this morning. I remember very well both Elvis and John Lennon dying and Bowie's passing is as big as theirs. Of course he was a lot older than those two, 69 as against 42 and 40 respectively. When talented people die young you feel cheated, as if they never had the chance to fulfil their potential and we can all think of many younger than Presley or Lennon. I do however take some comfort in the fact, purely from a music fans point of view, that we did indeed get the best of Bowie. I admire his enthusiasm to have kept working and producing new material but as I have said before, any artist only has a finite amount of original work in them. Look at his peers, Elton John, Paul McCartney and Pete Townsend for example; how much decent work have they done in the last 30 years? Minimal.
    I carried on buying his albums, except Tin Machine, after his peak with Scary Monsters. Let's Dance was good but it did contain a lot of old re-hashed stuff and some very weak tracks, also it was the soundtrack to my best summer, 1983, which means it will always have a special place in my heart.
    I followed everything he did in the last 30 years when his musical output diminished, both in volume and quality. I enjoyed his interviews on programmes like Parkinson and Jonathan Ross. He always did and will hold some sort of spell over me; he is without doubt the most fascinating person in my lifetime.
    As a young teenager I bought as many records, singles and albums, of his that I could afford. New and second hand. I bought books, posters and badges and changed my hairstyle to try and look like him, circa 1978. I learned, and still know, all the lyrics to all the songs from Hunky Dory to Tonight and interpreted them, especially as a 12,13,14 year old in my own way to suit my own situation at the time.
    Having said all that, I have not felt any kind of strong emotions today. To be fair, I have never really understood the outpouring of grief shown by many for the death of someone that they never personally knew. I certainly remember feeling far more upset over the death of Elvis, but then I was only 12 years old at the time.
    I must say that the BBC have done a fine job today, all their TV news programs have given the sad story well over 70% of their time. BBC Radios 2&6 have spent all day playing Bowie and Radio 2 in particular impressed me by, as a national station, devoting all day to Bowie and totally revamping their evening schedule tonight. The only downside was having Jeremy "my teenage daughter saw her Dad cry for the first time this morning" Vine present BBC1's hastily arranged tribute program on TV tonight.
    One final footnote, both my wife and I were quite taken aback this morning when just minutes after Nicky Campbell broke the news a full obituary was broadcast! I know these things are prepared at major media companies but even so it seemed very clinical.

So David, thank you for the music.
  • Options
    Had all day to digest this, it seems strange that you can feel such a sense of loss for someone you never met but i do. He has been a constant in my life since i was introduced to his music in 1973 by my babysitter (eternally grateful), he has been the soundtrack to my life, good times and bad times.
    I had been listening to Blackstar all weekend loving the new music and find it hard to comprehend that there will be no more.
    RIP Ziggy RIP Aladdin Sane RIP Thin White Duke RIP Blackstar RIP David Bowie thank you for an amazing ride, hoping you are up there now with Mick Ronson playing Ziggy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My 26 year old son brought it up to me on the phone this morning. He had heard about it and had spent a good part of the morning listening to his music. He said he recognized most of what he heard and was genuinely saddened.
  • Options

I'm 26 and think he's fantastic. Very likeable great performer whether that's on stage or acting.

Great songs. Relating to my age, I only know his most popular commercial stuff but I love Rebel Rebel, life on Mars and changes.

Grew up in my local area back home too.

Hero.
  • Options
    Sad at his passing doesn't feel right. I honestly thought he would have quite a lot in him to carry on for a while had no idea he was ill.

Rip
  • Options
    You always were ahead of your time David, RIP.
    Thanks for the songs.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Something I heard today and I cannot remember who said it but the jist of it was that Bowie is one of the most important artists in the history of music. Not just Rock and Roll, not just popular music but music as a whole, throughout history of mankind. A bold statement but think about it, it's undeniably true.

One of the most important artists FULL STOP. The greatest artist to have ever existed in my opinion; he was so uncompromising but didn't sacrifice any quality for shock factor. Even his death was an artistic statement, and I find it hard to believe that this wasn't intentional. Of course this is absolutely tragic, and for once I found myself in tears after hearing of a celebrity dying but Blackstar and particularly Lazarus tell us all we need to know. He made the ultimate artistic sacrifice! He will still be talked about for the rest of eternity. True unique genius.
  • Options
    Watched the TV tributes last night. Stirred some memories. Remember now our pride at (outside London) college that here was someone singing with a London accent and not trying to be mock Yank. Also lovely interview when David had a chuckle about how to pronounce Bowie. Back in the day I kind of remember it was Bowie like wowie if you were from south of the river, and everybody else could sod off.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Something I heard today and I cannot remember who said it but the jist of it was that Bowie is one of the most important artists in the history of music. Not just Rock and Roll, not just popular music but music as a whole, throughout history of mankind. A bold statement but think about it, it's undeniably true.

It's absolutely true
  • Options
    Another Sarff London lad gone.
    Hope you knew how much we all loved ya as you left Dave lad.