Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bowie - RIP

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed "Finding Fame" and also just watched "Five Years" again which is, from a more musical perspective, is in my opinion as good.

There's so much behind how Bowie made his songs different as highlighted by Rick Wakeman's explanation of how Bowie used unusual chord changes in "Life On Mars".

It is the combination of change of persona to wide ranging music styles that made him so unique.
  • Options
    Anyone else finding it hard to listen to Blackstar?
    I bought it on pre-order not expecting anything special, but was blown away, playing it three times in a row, back to back. I instantly rated it as one of his finest albums. 
    The very next day the news came through that he’d died, and I was sent to Brixton for ITN, and spent a couple of days covering the story.
    Bowie was a big part of my life from my mid teens, and loved most of his albums up to the mid eighties. 
    But right now I find listening to Blackstar much too painful, which I think makes me a major snowflake. Not sure if I’ll ever be able to give it a spin again. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I bought it on pre-order not expecting anything special, but was blown away, playing it three times in a row, back to back. I instantly rated it as one of his finest albums. 
    The very next day the news came through that he’d died, and I was sent to Brixton for ITN, and spent a couple of days covering the story.
    Bowie was a big part of my life from my mid teens, and loved most of his albums up to the mid eighties. 
    But right now I find listening to Blackstar much too painful, which I think makes me a major snowflake. Not sure if I’ll ever be able to give it a spin again. 
    Yep - huge Bowie fan. Loved the album on release  - reviewed it for my music reviews site - https://mrkinskimusicshack.com/ - and opened the review with the comments below - little did I know what would happen a couple of days later:

“New Bowie albums have always been a big deal and a major event for me. And it’s even more so now, as each release arrives I can’t help but wonder if I’m listening to the last Bowie studio album.”

And yes, I struggle with the album (apart from “Lazarus”) post his death.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    My in Car dongle thing has gone a bit haywire and today started playing Bowies greatest hits and Station to Station, and I suddenly realised how varied his songs were, and couldnt think of another solo artist whos career stayed relevant for so long.

I think the dongle thing is a brilliant piece of tech, but it does occasionally throw a wobbly.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The circumstances make the album even more evocative. 

Still listen to it. 
  • Options
    Halix said:
    My in Car dongle thing has gone a bit haywire and today started playing Bowies greatest hits and Station to Station, and I suddenly realised how varied his songs were, and couldnt think of another solo artist whos career stayed relevant for so long.

I think the dongle thing is a brilliant piece of tech, but it does occasionally throw a wobbly.

Bowie stayed relevant not by following musical trends or fashion but by instigating them - Bowie set the agenda and others followed him. No surprise that he was nicknamed 'the Guvnor'.

An often overused word but never more apt than with David Bowie - a bone fide Genius, and in my opinion (not unique of course!) he was the single most influential singer/songwriter/musician/performer of the last 50 years.

• Options
    Halix said:

Whats a dongle thing?

• Options
    edited February 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Halix said:

Bowie stayed relevant not by following musical trends or fashion but by instigating them - Bowie set the agenda and others followed him. No surprise that he was nicknamed 'the Guvnor'.

An often overused word but never more apt than with David Bowie - a bone fide Genius, and in my opinion (not unique of course!) he was the single most influential singer/songwriter/musician/performer of the last 50 years.

He apparently adopted the nickname after seeing the self proclamation on Paul Ince's boots!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Halix said:

He apparently adopted the nickname after seeing the self proclamation on Paul Ince's boots!
    I always though his nickname was the Dame?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The circumstances make the album even more evocative. 

Still listen to it. 
    Preordered it from Amazon so it arrived on day of release. Put it on the shelf to listen to later. Two days later, he’s dead. Still haven’t listened to it. But I am sure I will one day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He went to my junior school, Burnt Ash in Bromley.  He was a few years ahead of me, but I must've walked the same corridors and verandas, visited the same rooms and maybe sat at his desk. 

Mind you there were some changes in the five years between the Starman and me.  The 11 plus put all the young dudes under pressure and heroes were short on the ground.  We were absolute beginners, but boy did he find fame.   
  • Options
    He went to my junior school, Burnt Ash in Bromley.  He was a few years ahead of me, but I must've walked the same corridors and verandas, visited the same rooms and maybe sat at his desk. 

Mind you there were some changes in the five years between the Starman and me.  The 11 plus put all the young dudes under pressure and heroes were short on the ground.  We were absolute beginners, but boy did he find fame.   
    I went Burnt Ash too, maybe around the same time as you.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    If you're the kind of person that's into stamps, Royal Mail are selling Bowie special edition stamps and postcards at the moment
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I started in 59 on my 5th birthday.  I went home for dinner, started to settle on the settee when Mum said I had to go back.  I was absolutely horrified.  I explained to her that I'd already been, but she just cocked a deafun.   

(It may have been seven years after Bowie, I said five years as a bit of poetic licence).
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I started in 59 on my 5th birthday.  I went home for dinner, started to settle on the settee when Mum said I had to go back.  I was absolutely horrified.  I explained to her that I'd already been, but she just cocked a deafun.   

(It may have been seven years after Bowie, I said five years as a bit of poetic licence).
    He was there from ‘55-‘58, so you just missed him. 
    I was there just for a year in ‘64-‘65  
  • Options
    Musician who had the greatest influence on me growing up ! Very shocked when he died. I have a tough time listening to Blackstar 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Halix said:

Hmmm, yes a gifted songwriter and very very talented musician, BUT without Mick Ronson, much of Bowies work and albums would not have sounded like they did, Ronson was the arranger of a lot of Bowies work, and in many musicians eyes (ears) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 
    There was an enlightening and interesting doco about Ronson and his major contribution, I have to admit it surprised me, not least that he came from Hull.
    And to all those that cant bring themselves to listen to Blackstar, do so, Bowie recorded this piece of work knowing he only had months before he shuffled off and without doubt he would want it listened to and appreciated.
    For me, along with Lennon and Richards, Bowie deserves the genius badge.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Halix said:

Hmmm, yes a gifted songwriter and very very talented musician, BUT without Mick Ronson, much of Bowies work and albums would not have sounded like they did, Ronson was the arranger of a lot of Bowies work, and in many musicians eyes (ears) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 
    There was an enlightening and interesting doco about Ronson and his major contribution, I have to admit it surprised me, not least that he came from Hull.
    And to all those that cant bring themselves to listen to Blackstar, do so, Bowie recorded this piece of work knowing he only had months before he shuffled off and without doubt he would want it listened to and appreciated.

No disagreement from me on Mick Ronson's contribution. Bowie knew it and acknowledged it.
  • Options
    I'm rather pleased that the Bowie team reneged on a deal with Stevie Ray Vaughan, causing his manager to drag Stevie's gear from the tour bus. 

We may have otherwise been robbed of the greatest blues guitarist that ever lived.  Please remember that this is only contentious if not true, but it is true. :o.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/stevie-ray-vaughan-disses-david-bowie-in-1986-interview-just-a-lotta-bull-video 

• Options
    I'm rather pleased that the Bowie team reneged on a deal with Stevie Ray Vaughan, causing his manager to drag Stevie's gear from the tour bus. 

We may have otherwise been robbed of the greatest blues guitarist that ever lived.  Please remember that this is only contentious if not true, but it is true. :o.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/stevie-ray-vaughan-disses-david-bowie-in-1986-interview-just-a-lotta-bull-video 

Without doubt true, SRV was not a sideman. 
    For me SRV is the greatest guitar player, no one comes close, and the best decision he made was not to tour with Bowie, although he did play on Bowies Lets Dance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Greenie said:
    bobmunro said:
    Halix said:

I think in the ‘Final 5 Years’ documentary didn’t they say he’d actually only had the terminal diagnosis three months before he died, and that even then he thought he might survive. Read that someone in the last few days anyway. Even the Lazarus video wasn’t meant to be a farewell as people had assumed it was. The director had suggested the hospital bed idea, but that was purely to illustrate the Lazarus story, rather than to say here’s DB in his deathbed. And he was planning more recording sessions in the weeks before he died. 
    But either way I still can’t listen to Blackstar, at the moment at least. 
    Favourite DB albums are Low, Hunky Dory and Young Americans. I even got him to sign my copy of Golden Years ‘To Jim’ (he couldn’t get ‘Jimmy Seed’s grandson’ to fit on the 7” label). Should get that framed really. 
  • Options
    David Bowie ....Self indulgent old tosh!
  • Options
    Bowie worked with many great guitarists, Robert Fripp and Pete Townsend for instance on what I consider his last great album, Scary Monsters, and yes I have them all. Earl Slick and Carlos Alomar were my favourite combination but special mention must be given to the incredible Adrian Belew who was lead guitar on the 1978 world tour, that man can make a guitar talk! If you are going to talk about arangers and producers for Bowie then the main man has to be Tony Visconti.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Talking of the 1978 world tour (which I was) this was of course captured on the album Stage which was released the same year. It had one single released of it which was Breaking Glass from Low. My sister bought this and I soon adopted it. I was 13/14 at the time. I'm not a huge fan of live albums but this is excellent. I still have her vinyl copy. It was ages before it came out on CD, early 90's I think. It was remastered in the 2000's and the track listing was changed to mirror the actual shows running order rather than neatly putting tracks together from the same album. Nice touch but when you've listened to an album for 30 years you kinda get used to the running order and find yourself singing the first line of the next track when the current one finishes! 
     The London show of that tour was at Earls Court and this was recorded and an album was finally officially released last year (there were plenty of bootlegs around at the time), it's called Welcome to the Blackout. It's brilliant, very similar to Stage but with a few extra tunes. Definitely a different sound to Stage which was recorded over two concerts in Toronto and Philadelphia I think. It is quite a raw sound whereas Stage was a very slick production. Really worth purchasing if you're a solid fan. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Talking of the 1978 world tour (which I was) this was of course captured on the album Stage which was released the same year. It had one single released of it which was Breaking Glass from Low. My sister bought this and I soon adopted it. I was 13/14 at the time. I'm not a huge fan of live albums but this is excellent. I still have her vinyl copy. It was ages before it came out on CD, early 90's I think. It was remastered in the 2000's and the track listing was changed to mirror the actual shows running order rather than neatly putting tracks together from the same album. Nice touch but when you've listened to an album for 30 years you kinda get used to the running order and find yourself singing the first line of the next track when the current one finishes! 
     The London show of that tour was at Earls Court and this was recorded and an album was finally officially released last year (there were plenty of bootlegs around at the time), it's called Welcome to the Blackout. It's brilliant, very similar to Stage but with a few extra tunes. Definitely a different sound to Stage which was recorded over two concerts in Toronto and Philadelphia I think. It is quite a raw sound whereas Stage was a very slick production. Really worth purchasing if you're a solid fan. 
    Welcome to the Blackout is my favourite live Bowie album, better than Stage (feels more raw and ‘real’)
  • Options
    David Live for me simply because it coincided with his early stuff and my early teens
  • Options
    David Live for me simply because it coincided with his early stuff and my early teens
    Awful album. Bowie hated it. Called it something like David is actually alive although he doesn't sound so. I'll find the correct link. 
  • Options
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour. 
  • Options
    Drinking milkshakes cold and long