Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has he gone yet?

Comments

• Options

'Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is set to make a decision on Karel Fraeye’s future today, News Shopper understands.'

no decision to make, he should have walked by now.

Won't get a pay off if he does.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    mogodon said:

The sad part is, if Luzon was still in charge - or if there was no 'interim' rubbish after Luzon's sacking, we wouldn't be in this mess at all, but now it feels like if we did bring in a good manager it would be too late for anything to change on the pitch.

I think you're probably right. Luzon's record wasn't great, but it was a lot better than this clowns. With the way so many clubs are shooting themselves in the foot this season, we would probably be outside the relegation zone.
    Let's not let the current farce cloud our thinking. Luzon was not much cop either and had seemingly been found out before he was dumped. None of the appointments since Powell left have been befitting the club. Just because pretty much each one has been successively worse should not make us believe any of them have been any good.
    I don't disagree. I didn't want Luzon when we got him. I didn't want Luzon when we had him. I certainly do not want him back, however I think it's true to say that we would have been better off keeping him rather him than bringing in the current loser.

That said, I would imagine Luzon's win % was largely on the back of last season's performances than this. Would be interested to know what it was based on this season's matches only.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

'Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is set to make a decision on Karel Fraeye’s future today, News Shopper understands.'

If he's an interim (OK we know he is not other than in the mind of that woman) the surely he is not on any contract, or a week-by-week one at best?
  • Options
    From the papers-:

Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet is set to make a decision on Karel Fraeye’s future today, News Shopper understands.

Fraeye, 38, has been unable to turn the club’s fortunes around since taking over from Guy Luzon at the end of October.

The Addicks have not won in ten games in all competitions and their dismal season reached new lows this week with a defeat to League One Colchester and a 5-0 drubbing at Huddersfield.

MORE: Riga wants to rescue Charlton - but contact is yet to be made

The Belgian boss refused to talk to the press after the heavy loss in Yorkshire on Tuesday evening, instead heading straight to the minibus.

And News Shopper understands that owner Duchatelet will decide Fraeye’s fate today in Belgium, with an announcement possibly breaking this evening.

Share article

A source at the club insists that a decision on Fraeye’s future at the Valley has not been made just yet.
  • Options
    He won't need a pay off, he'll no doubt just go back to his expert scouting role for the 'network'
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

He's said himself he's here on a week to week basis so there's nothing to stop him quitting apart formless of face with RD. But how true is that? Why walk out of a full time job to take an "interim" role? But that's dragging up the past. Let's look to the future, hopefully a future without Karel Fraye.
  • Options
    Shows how cowardly Fraeye is by refusing to walk away from the Managers job.

Could quite easily ask Roland to go back to scouting!!
  • Options
    Does anyone else remember one of our Belgian residents on CharltonLife saying that Fraeye is one of a group of highly rated Coaches in Belgium?

If so then the Belgian National Team is well and truly going to be buggered in a few years
  • Options

Jayajosh said:

He's said himself he's here on a week to week basis so there's nothing to stop him quitting apart formless of face with RD. But how true is that? Why walk out of a full time job to take an "interim" role? But that's dragging up the past. Let's look to the future, hopefully a future without Karel Fraye.
    Unless the rumours about him being given a permanent job and the club were waiting for the right time to announce it, were true.
  • Options

Jayajosh said:

There will be no pay off. He will just continue working for the network in a different role. I doubt his contract with Roland has changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

Apparently they are interviewing but the latest news I have is that the cleaner refused to take a pay cut to take on the role.

And the laundry man knocked it back as he didn't like the travel arrangements associated with the position
    Perhaps anyone brave enough to go on Saturday should chuck towels at him! Even worse their pants or socks.

• Options

Does anyone else remember one of our Belgian residents on CharltonLife saying that Fraeye is one of a group of highly rated Coaches in Belgium?

If so then the Belgian National Team is well and truly going to be buggered in a few years

Yes - it was a brief Belgian visitor call Bertje who told us the following in May 2014:

"Bertje Member

May 2014

I'm a manager of a Belgian team and I'm following talented young players and coaches in the area of Flanders.
    When I googled Fraeye and Charlton I saw this big forum.

I think it's normal that you addicks are hoping for an experienced head coach that you already know.
    But don't underestimate Roland Duchatelet and the young coaches he's bringing ( like the former unknown coach Guy Luzon who's still making a chance to get Standard into the Champions League) .
    I'm following Karel Fraeyes career and he's a talented, typical head coach. I've never seen a more talented young coach in our area.
    As a young player, he had an accident that made an end at a possible career as a player.
    From then, he started being a coach in all the youth teams and every year, his former teams gave him more responsibility.
    He became youth manager of AA Gent (highest Belgian level) and different teams of 3th and 4th division wanted him as a head coach.
    First he made a wrong choice with Sottegem ( players didn't get paid) but then he chose Zele because there, he got the opportunity to build a new team. Young talented players were coming to Zele because he became head coach.
    He won the titel and this year he was in first position to gain a new title with almost the same team.
    Higher playing teams were getting prepared to try to get him in but Duchatelet was the smartest and quickest.
    He worked as a teacher and became at a younger age director of a school.
    His strongest part is reading the game and coaching and motivating players as a team or individually.
    You know: Some Belgian first and second class teams were saying: why does a talented coach as Fraeye chooses for Duchatelet and Charlton if he has opportunities in the Belgian first division. So they are underestimating Charlton and the championship too. :)
    If they make Fraeye head coach: he will fully use the talent of the Charlton staff and players and he 'll get the best out of the squad.

Every great player and every great coach once was unexperienced at higher levels.
    And you are right: Maybe Duchatelet doesn't know the better English coaches.. So isn't it normal that he plays it safe at his point of view and chooses good coaches he knows?
    And at a very good price/quality rate.

Whatever it will be: I hope your beautiful club will get back in the premier league where you belong.
    Good luck!"

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/61497/karel-fraeye/p3
  • Options
    A final decision on Tony Watt's future should be held in abeyance pending appointment of a new interim manager.
  • Options
    Bertje has got to be a friend or relation of Karel!
  • Options
    Why couldn't we get the people that own Udinese and Watford got this joker :(
  • Options

Bertje has got to be a friend or relation of Karel!

I think it was either Fraeye himself or his mum......
  • Options
    He's an excellent scout
  • Options

not me ! And I don't know anybody who ever heard about him ... The best rated so far was BP .
  • Options
    Can we just call him Bertie?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016

I'm still suspicious of some of our short-lived Belgian "friends" on here. They came along to tell us how great our managerial appointments were going to turn out to be, then promptly disappeared. I think there was one who raved about BP as well.

I don't include @skywalker in that group.
  • Options
    skywalker said:

not me ! And I don't know anybody who ever heard about him ... The best rated so far was BP .
    All of Bertje's 8 posts (all on the 'Karel Fraeye' thread in May 2014) here:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/profile/comments/16348/Bertje
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

skywalker said:

It was Karel himself quite obviously.
  • Options

micks1950 said:

skywalker said:

It was Karel himself quite obviously.
    How did we all miss it at the time? It's not even remotely subtle.
  • Options

I'm still suspicious of some of our short-lived Belgian "friends" on here. They came along to tell us how great our managerial appointments were going to turn out to be, then promptly disappeared. I think there was one who raved about BP as well.

RD didn't really pick the cream of the crop yet when it comes to Belgian football managers. It's still my opinion that BP has got some talent, but it became clear recently that sometimes he's got a temper and can react a bit mean. Now, and this was one of the reasons I was charmed by Charlton, you had a pretty solid team when BP was around ... in the beginning. However, having only Vetokele as a striker was a problem, and having only one top goalie cost some points too. It's also my opinion that a good manager or player should be able to play in whatever league. Main thing that sets the Premiership and Championship apart ... the number of games. So ... BP lacked a (large) number of good players. Again now, I hope the Serb gets some aditional quality players.

• Options
    I just read what Bertje wrote .... I think he drank too much of our beers ... He's obviously from some small rural town that you miss while driving through it, when you have a sneeze. How embarrassing ...
  • Options
    skywalker said:

RD didn't really pick the cream of the crop yet when it comes to Belgian football managers. It's still my opinion that BP has got some talent, but it became clear recently that sometimes he's got a temper and can react a bit mean. Now, and this was one of the reasons I was charmed by Charlton, you had a pretty solid team when BP was around ... in the beginning. However, having only Vetokele as a striker was a problem, and having only one top goalie cost some points too. It's also my opinion that a good manager or player should be able to play in whatever league. Main thing that sets the Premiership and Championship apart ... the number of games. So ... BP lacked a (large) number of good players. Again now, I hope the Serb gets some aditional quality players.

What's Peeters doing now?
  • Options
    He started the season in a club without much potential and got replaced in november because they were last of the league. The guy who replaced him is a former national team coach, nicknamed "the fox", and suddenly that identical team started winning games ! BP got him semself another team immediately but is again not achieving much. I'm starting to think BP will eventually be found managing Belgian 2nd Div teams ...
  • Options
    Just been sacked
    Yves is the new manager
  • Options
    skywalker said:

He started the season in a club without much potential and got replaced in november because they were last of the league. The guy who replaced him is a former national team coach, nicknamed "the fox", and suddenly that identical team started winning games ! BP got him semself another team immediately but is again not achieving much. I'm starting to think BP will eventually be found managing Belgian 2nd Div teams ...

Still better than Karel then.