Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are you appeased?

Comments

• Godstone said:

100% behind Jose. RD's comments are welcome but we need to see evidence that there is a proper strategy.

I agree to an extent.

We wont fully get what we want anyway. The protests should continue and increase until Meire is sacked but its time to give in to the hate for a bit, for now.

For what little we expect from them Riga is a better appointment then another tit from the network. Riga is ok. Duchbag has actually attempted to meet us halfway here.
  • This changes nothing.

This is like a half- hearted Munich agreement. I dare say that Roland's cage and Katrien's kennel have been slightly rattled by the increasing vehemence of the protests but the cancer in the club is still there and it will continue until the place is cleansed of the last stench of these particular Belgian bastards.
  • I guess one way of looking at this and a potential question to ask fans is if Roland sold up at the end of the season and Katrien and Murray went and we got in a decent owner who cared for the team and he decided to keep Riga on as coach and support him would you be happy?

I think most would in this scenario as has been stated he did win over the crowd and the players, however I make no secret my desire to return to having Chris Powell in charge and I haven't even sung a manger's name since he left but that's just my feelings on it, maybe they would change if the above actually happened.
  • Southbank said:

Kap10 said:

Not appeased - though will support Riga and the team

This is the best of the bad decisions Duchatalet could have made.

I'll be partially appeased when Katrien goes and would be dependent on the approach of any new CEO and a revision of strategy by RD. At least this statement has come from him, which is a toenail of a step forward.
    I doubt very much it comes from him-it is a precis of Murray's statement, probably done by an intern.
    Ok Mr Picky, done in his name as opposed to KM's name, or do you think that Obama and Cameron do their own speeches, how many statements in the press that have come from press releases do you actually think were said by the person quoted? Probably done by a PR Intern!!!
  • I am amazed that anyone who is anti RD/KM could be appeased by this. Staying up is secondary to the need for change at our club and if that means short or even medium term pain then so be it. We are Charlton Athletic, what that means to us is much more than the division we play in. The regime don't understand and shame on you if you currently give a shit whether we are in the Championship or League One.
  • To be completely honest Riga was probably the very best that would actually come to Charlton under the circumstances and conditions so I am not that unhappy with it and I do hope that he is given a warm welcome as he has never none us wrong and was also a nice guy.

I am happier than I was but by no means appeased, we need to continue with the protests but without affecting the team and still try and drive RD out, with any luck the smug bitch has already gone.
  • Changes nothing
    by ChicagoAddick on January 14, 2016
    _74129528_joserigathumbsup2empics

What exactly does “a search for a new Head Coach has commenced.” mean?

Roland calls Jose Riga on speed dial, concedes on a couple of points, agrees to give him a proper contract after last time, and hey presto. The search for a new Head Coach ends 18 hours after it started.

Lies, lies, lies.

Yes Riga was popular before, he saved us from relegation, although I thought that may have been Karel Fraeye, but he was in charge for just 15 games. Who is to say he would have been found out like Peeters and Luzon? I can’t even include Fraeye because he was a fraud, but although Riga will be welcomed, he is not the answer. It changes absolutely nothing. Riga deemed not good enough 18 months ago, and sacked or forced out by Duchatelet three times, also needs to think about his self-esteem.

I note also that there will be no press conference. Riga hardly spoke to the press last time, and I think there was rarely a midweek media meeting. We actually ‘got to know’ Peeters, Luzon and Fraeye a lot better than Riga, because they did do interviews. This has to change with Riga this time around, that’s if he last’s long enough in the job. Riga’s last 4 jobs have seen him oversee 16 games, 15, 16 and 23.

This whole circus has to stop, and we need to up the protests. I just hope the players find humility, remember how lucky they are to be getting paid to pay football and that they are privileged to wear that badge on their chest. Then we can support them whilst we do everything in our powers to get rid of Katrien Meire, no doubt behind yesterday’s press release putting Wim de Corte and Jason Euell in charge of Saturday, and the biggest criminal of them all, Roland Duchatelet.

As for Duchatelet’s quotes, his first utterances to his customers for over a year, about making errors in recruitment and trying to address them in January. Well they are laughable.

On with the protests.
  • Am I appeased? No
    Do I want the protests to continue? Yes & they must escalate

Nothing that has happened today fills me with any confidence. We are still owned by, & being run by, totally incompetent morons.

What next? Carol to be Jose's assistant again? Thuram & Nego to return?

By hook or by crook we have to get these Belgian loonies out of our club.
  • Loup086 said:

Changes nothing
    by ChicagoAddick on January 14, 2016
    _74129528_joserigathumbsup2empics

What exactly does “a search for a new Head Coach has commenced.” mean?

Roland calls Jose Riga on speed dial, concedes on a couple of points, agrees to give him a proper contract after last time, and hey presto. The search for a new Head Coach ends 18 hours after it started.

Lies, lies, lies.

Yes Riga was popular before, he saved us from relegation, although I thought that may have been Karel Fraeye, but he was in charge for just 15 games. Who is to say he would have been found out like Peeters and Luzon? I can’t even include Fraeye because he was a fraud, but although Riga will be welcomed, he is not the answer. It changes absolutely nothing. Riga deemed not good enough 18 months ago, and sacked or forced out by Duchatelet three times, also needs to think about his self-esteem.

I note also that there will be no press conference. Riga hardly spoke to the press last time, and I think there was rarely a midweek media meeting. We actually ‘got to know’ Peeters, Luzon and Fraeye a lot better than Riga, because they did do interviews. This has to change with Riga this time around, that’s if he last’s long enough in the job. Riga’s last 4 jobs have seen him oversee 16 games, 15, 16 and 23.

This whole circus has to stop, and we need to up the protests. I just hope the players find humility, remember how lucky they are to be getting paid to pay football and that they are privileged to wear that badge on their chest. Then we can support them whilst we do everything in our powers to get rid of Katrien Meire, no doubt behind yesterday’s press release putting Wim de Corte and Jason Euell in charge of Saturday, and the biggest criminal of them all, Roland Duchatelet.

As for Duchatelet’s quotes, his first utterances to his customers for over a year, about making errors in recruitment and trying to address them in January. Well they are laughable.

On with the protests.

To be fair to the chap we were basically playing 3 games in a week until the end of the season when he joined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our survey says?

Er-er
  • Apparently the sticking point was a Nespresso machine, Riga was holding out for the milk frothy attachment as well
  • no - want them out still 100% - see the whole 'haven't been contacted by the club' and the hungarian bloke as a set up to make it look like fraye hasn't been paving the way for riga all along. without more championship ready signings, we will drop and this myth about riga will go and he will be seen as useless as all the others - hope i'm wrong and he keeps us up and the whole lot clear off in the summer. its time to get a new regime in with curbishley as director of football.
  • I can support the team and head coach now.

Still no love for the regime.
  • Dave2l said:

Godstone said:

100% behind Jose. RD's comments are welcome but we need to see evidence that there is a proper strategy.

I agree to an extent.

We wont fully get what we want anyway. The protests should continue and increase until Meire is sacked but its time to give in to the hate for a bit, for now.

For what little we expect from them Riga is a better appointment then another tit from the network. Riga is ok. Duchbag has actually attempted to meet us halfway here.
    I'm sorry but you are wrong here.

The problem here is not just the last or the last but one or the last but two or the last but three manager (Riga) it is the system that appointed them. Similarly sacking Meire is fairly pointless as she will just be replaced with another yes man or woman apologist for Roland. Whilst he is in control the club will decline. The approach and the business model is his.

he has appointed Riga because he feels that will get some of the more gullible peasants off his back.
  • Perhaps I am overly cynical, but I struggle to see why some welcome Riga back as if he was some kind of former hero returned to save us. He wasn't. He was the best of a frankly dire bunch. Let's hope I am proved wrong. But whatever you think about him, the protests have to increase to get out club back. Nobody should be appeased by anything RD does. He's had a chance and screwed it up.
  • Mametz said:

Dave2l said:

Godstone said:

I agree to an extent.

The problem here is not just the last or the last but one or the last but two or the last but three manager (Riga) it is the system that appointed them. Similarly sacking Meire is fairly pointless as she will just be replaced with another yes man or woman apologist for Roland. Whilst he is in control the club will decline. The approach and the business model is his.

he has appointed Riga because he feels that will get some of the more gullible peasants off his back.
    I'm a peasant but not gullible

• Are you appeased? Yes, I'm appeased off thanks.
  • The only thing that has changed is that we may now have a decent manager and not a complete idiot.

The process in appointing Riga proves the people running our club are clowns and have to be removed
  • Mametz said:

Dave2l said:

Godstone said:

I agree to an extent.

The thing is: Roland is still there, Katrien is still there. You said in a previous post on this thread that you support the team not the regime, Roland gets your money and the regime that appointed Carol and Katrien are very pleased about that. Job done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mametz said:

Mametz said:

Dave2l said:

Godstone said:

I agree to an extent.

The thing is: Roland is still there, Katrien is still there. You said in a previous post on this thread that you support the team not the regime, Roland gets your money and the regime that appointed Carol and Katrien are very pleased about that. Job done.
    Well not quite. I havn't set foot in The Valley since November.

• Mametz said:

Mametz said:

Dave2l said:

Godstone said:

I agree to an extent.

Well not quite. I havn't set foot in The Valley since November.

Haha. I only saw the light a couple of weeks ago!
  • IAgree said:

No retreat, no surrender.

The Scots had Braveheart’s speech to inspire them in their fight against tyranny and injustice. In our own fight against incompetence and ignorance, we might draw similar inspiration from Oliver Cromwell, that defender of the people, who dismissed Parliament in1653 with the following words:

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue and defiled by your practice of every vice.

You are a factious crew and enemies to all good government. You are a pack of mercenary wretches and would, like Esau, sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the Commonwealth?

You sordid prostitutes, have you not defiled this sacred place and turned the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves by your immoral principles and wicked practices?

You are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed and are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

I command you therefore to depart immediately out of this place. Go, get you out! Make haste! You venal slaves be gone! Take away that shining bauble there and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!"

Quoting a ruthless, homicidal, religiously intolerant dictator will not help!
    "Cromwell - hero or villain?" is a debate that has been going on for the last 350 years and won't be settled now on CL. However..."ruthless, homicidal, religiously intolerant" are subjective terms which might in any case be levelled at all successful 17th century rulers (one man's ruthless is another man's strong). He was honourable and righteous, began the expansion of the navy to which this country owes so much, championed power for the people, established the dominance of Parliament over the monarchy and was instrumental in creating and leading the game-changing New Model Army. On the other hand he really did cancel Christmas!
    Massacred Irish Cathlics, whom he despised, ruthlessly put down the Levellers and Diggers, effectively abolished Parliment and ruled as autoratically as Charles the First.
    Really just advanced the landed middle class.

Not my hero I am afraid.
  • What a surprise, Lookman is being chased by 4 Premier league teams. RD is just after the cash and JR is a short term shut us up appointment. However, better than Carol.
  • mogodon said:

Perhaps I am overly cynical, but I struggle to see why some welcome Riga back as if he was some kind of former hero returned to save us. He wasn't. He was the best of a frankly dire bunch. Let's hope I am proved wrong. But whatever you think about him, the protests have to increase to get out club back. Nobody should be appeased by anything RD does. He's had a chance and screwed it up.

How I'm feeling right now...

I give him the credit and respect he deserves for taking over at a difficult time and ensuring we stayed in the Championship. Whilst he will not go down as a Charlton hero in my book, he did a good job, he seemed like a decent guy, and I don't think he is a yes man like the others we've had since. I think some people got carried away with the whole 'they are looking to appoint a British manager this time' thing. I never believed that for a second. Not that I believe Rick spun us a yarn, it's just that RD makes all the decisions, he doesn't care what other people think. It was obvious we would get another of his mates, and yes I agree with your point that he is the best of a bad bunch, but actually his record isn't all that bad generally.

Can he repeat what he did last time? I don't know, I have my doubts. If he does succeed again, will he have what it takes to make us more competitive next season? Again I have my doubts and clearly some of that will very much depend on player sales and recruitment at the end of the season. The protests have to continue, absolutely, but staying up is the priority for me, I don't want to face years of League One football again, particularly not with the current owner and his ridiculous policies. So I have to be positive and hope that Riga can do the business.

Relegation frightens the life out of me because I've seen how badly this regime have consistently underestimated the Championship. The type of player we will get fed in League One will have lumps kicked out of them. Random European players do not fare well in the lower leagues, and with Roland's youth selling policy, anyone that's good enough to help get us promoted will be sold to the highest bidder to plug the massive holes in the finances.

Obviously people will want to know why we couldn't get a British/English manager instead. The worry I had was that anyone with any level of credibility would give us a wide berth. Our structure is very rigid and British/English managers do not like operating in such circumstances, they aren't used to it. This means that anyone who did show an interest (and was cheap enough) are likely to be has-beens or failed managers just looking to jump at the first mug who will take them to get them back on the merry go round again. They would all be a gamble, but at least with Riga, he has done it, he knows the club, he knows and likes the fans and he knows what we expect.

It's not perfect, it will never be perfect whilst Duchatelet is here, but it might give us a fighting chance of staying up. During that time we can keep the pressure on the owner and hope that somehow we can wear him down to a point where he just decides to sell because he is sick of all the hassle. The fact that (hopefully) we will still be a Championship club will mean that a buyer should be easier to find and we can all have a fucking party when he finally hands over the keys to the next lot.
  • edited January 2016
    I feel like I've been hit by a car, broken both legs and ruptured my spleen but someone kindly have me a sticking plaster for a cut on my finger. So. Yeah. I suppose I feel a teensy weensy bit more comfortable in an entirely relative sort of way. In the way that palliative care makes you feel slightly better. But to quote #braydex who summed it all up in his earlier post - appeased? Am I fuck!
  • Not appeased at all.

The appointment of Riga demonstrates that RD will never change his ways. This was his opportunity to at least be a little flexible yet appointing a previous Belgian manager speaks volumes about the way Charlton is being run.

I have nothing against Riga and in different circumstances would have welcomed him back but the position now is so different to when Riga took over first time round. I wish him good luck and hope he can help turn our fortunes around on the pitch but are just as concerned, perhaps more concerned, at what's going on off the field, and that's fundamentally wrong.

RD doesn't get it. KM is notable by her silence. RM is now nothing more than a puppet.

I for one won't be happy until they are gone.
  • We know RD was/is never going to change his ways. I for one am shocked he's picked a manager with championship experience (I suppose you could say the same if he re-hired Luzon). Contradicting eh but it's the best where gana get ain't it.

He's actually acknowledged this is the right move and he would have been an extreme complete cock if he got in yet another unfamiliar face from the network. We now have a familiar face and someone that had a short stint of being successful at charlton. He was also popular amongst fans and the players. Callum Harriot for one, will be pleased. As an example.

For me this is at least a form of progress.

1. We know he probably won't sell the club.....Based on evidence of the past month.

2. Realistically you just can't force someone to sell the club. If only you could, but you can't. He won't ever feel the hurt of fans sorrow anyway as he's never here. Protests, eventually, if taken a different direction, could get to him and get under his skin, but unfortunately I think his skin in situations like this is too thick. He doesn't care and he's probably more concerned by his old age then anything else.
    That is thinking the worst case scenario.

3. Fraeye has fucked off, thank god. It may not be long before Meire is removed from charlton too. What's the point of her being here now? There is no point, she is officially now stealing a living. My fear is RD has a personal affection for her that clouds any judgement whether she is good at her job or not.

4. We are taking this way too personal and I have taken it too personal.

Don't be happy...but be "happier".

I love charlton but would not let what's going on here ruin my life.

The moaning on here is exhausting, time consuming and to no avail.

I now feel.

Too much.

• Not appeased or pleased or even remotely relieved at this, Jose needs to take a look at himself, he has in some way or another been hired and fired by RD that many times it is unreal. But the say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Why any one in the right mind would let themselves be treated this way is beyond me.

Yes he saved us once, but as others have said we were in a slightly better position.

I do not believe the quotes from him (RD) are actually uttered from his mouth, rather just his name attached.

Our CEO (and I use that title very, very loosely) has either been fired or told to stay quite as even by her standards she is oddly quite(not complaining though)

Find it Strange we have not actually had a statement from our New Head Coach, yet get one from the Physio!!

For me I can just about muster the strength to support the team as they share a portion of the responsibility, But I can not support Jose Riga ( simply because I think him a fool for taking the Job) or the Regime!
  • Support the team, not the regime.

This for me as well.