Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2016 World Heavyweight Champions (AJ v Klitshko from Page 20)

Comments

• Options
    anyone heading to the fight on saturday, my 1st big fight after being let down for bellew haye.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Kap10 said:

The Anthony Joshua documentary on bbc1 was very good. Worth a watch on iplayer if you missed it

Watched this and it has tempted me to go for Box Office on Saturday. AJ seems a nice guy but powerful boxer and it was refreshing to see two guys before the fight treating the fight as a job of work and not tearing into each other links bar room nutters.

I don't know the psychology of boxing enough to know if the lack of hate means it will be pat-a-cake on Saturday but I suspect not!
    You suspect correctly.
    Though it's starting to become a bit more of a circus these days, UFC fighters tend to be very respectful to each other before fights, but it's still absolutely brutal when they meet in the octagon.

anyone heading to the fight on saturday, my 1st big fight after being let down for bellew haye.

I'm going. Looking forward to the atmosphere more than the fight itself. I don't think this has classic written all over it - poor undercard and two methodical boxers.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

The Anthony Joshua documentary on bbc1 was very good. Worth a watch on iplayer if you missed it

Watched this and it has tempted me to go for Box Office on Saturday. AJ seems a nice guy but powerful boxer and it was refreshing to see two guys before the fight treating the fight as a job of work and not tearing into each other links bar room nutters.

I don't know the psychology of boxing enough to know if the lack of hate means it will be pat-a-cake on Saturday but I suspect not!
    You suspect correctly.
    Though it's starting to become a bit more of a circus these days, UFC fighters tend to be very respectful to each other before fights, but it's still absolutely brutal when they meet in the octagon.

I'm going. Looking forward to the atmosphere more than the fight itself. I don't think this has classic written all over it - poor undercard and two methodical boxers.
    The undercard is non-existent. Again

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Carter said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.

As ever with Hearn - but almost forgivable based on the main event.

I'm looking forward to the Campbell/Perez fight. Darleys had three weeks notice of the fight and as of a couple of days ago still needed to lose 6 lbs. I doubt he will be fully prepared and Campbell rounds 1-6 looks good at 7/2.

On the main event, I can't see anything other than an AJ win by stoppage - and there are rumours Vlad is carrying a back injury. Again rounds 1-6 at 23/10 for me.

I'll probably have a little double on the above two - combined odds just shy of 14/1.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.
    Really interesting documentary on AJ he came across as a smashing fella.
    However I couldn't help thinking that he isn't a natural fighter, he came across as a bit 'manufactured' if there is such a thing. He admitted at one point that he was blagging it, but maybe it his self deprecating humble personality, I have a feeling that when he gets a couple of big punches and finds himself in trouble he may lack the spirit to dig deep!
    I may be wrong but Vlad looks well up being 3 times World Champion.
    Also Eddie Hearn isn't slimy enough is he?
    I think he's just a laid back character. it wasn't until you saw him with his trainer that you could see he is very serious.

hard one to call. it's actually quite hard to pick my personal favourite. always liked Klitschko as he has class but so has AJ. believe it's going to be a good fight as both will give it their all, they have too much respect for each other and their fans to not do so.
  • Options
    Both come across as very nice guys. Refreshing to see a build up with mutual respect rather than fake hatred, the fight is an intriguing enough match up to sell without the usual bollocks.
  • Options
    Joshua by KO in round seven
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Klitschko looked very old in his fight with Fury and if he is that slow and ponderous tomorrow he will get sparked.

A rejuvenated Klitschko will give AJ a massive test and would see AJ under threat if he's still lively after 6 or 7.

I think however, that Klitschko will find it very hard to turn back the clock against a confident, fast and powerful AJ.

AJ to win inside 6 for me.

• Options
    I can't see this lasting three rounds. No way will Vlad knock AJ out late on unless he dramatically runs out of steam, and I doubt he could win on points at his age. So his only chance is an early haymaker that connects. AJ on the other hand, may simply beat him up if Vlad is still as slow as he was versus Fury, and could take him out very early once Vlad has felt his power (and doesn't fancy being smashed about for another half hour!). But then again, I'm usually wrong!
  • Options
    the Fury fight just took me by surprise. Fury did a number on him. I can't see that happening again, but I hope it's a proper fight and not really cagey
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't expect Wladimir to hang his chin out or be a standing target like most of Joshuas opponents have been and if he takes him into deep water I see the fight as Klitschkos to lose . If Joshua manages to land something big it will be over fairly quickly. I've heard strong rumours Wlad has a back or shoulder injury.

I'd put money on a Klitschko points win and a early Joshua stoppage
  • Options
    I'm actually tempted to pay for this 1
  • Options
    Carter said:

I wouldn't expect Wladimir to hang his chin out or be a standing target like most of Joshuas opponents have been and if he takes him into deep water I see the fight as Klitschkos to lose . If Joshua manages to land something big it will be over fairly quickly. I've heard strong rumours Wlad has a back or shoulder injury.

I'd put money on a Klitschko points win and a early Joshua stoppage

Wlad on points is overpriced at 7-1 imho.
  • Options
    If Klitschko is as slow and lethargic as he was against Fury I'd expect Joshua to stop him early.
    But if Klitschko is anywhere near his best he will frustrate Joshua behind his jab and could well win a cagey fight on points.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.

I'm looking forward to the Campbell/Perez fight. Darleys had three weeks notice of the fight and as of a couple of days ago still needed to lose 6 lbs. I doubt he will be fully prepared and Campbell rounds 1-6 looks good at 7/2.

On the main event, I can't see anything other than an AJ win by stoppage - and there are rumours Vlad is carrying a back injury. Again rounds 1-6 at 23/10 for me.

I'll probably have a little double on the above two - combined odds just shy of 14/1.
    Great call on perez
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.

Great call on perez
    I hope anyone foolish enough to trust my judgement got on at 7/2 - Campbell rounds 1-6 is now 7/5!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.

Great call on perez
    I hope anyone foolish enough to trust my judgement got on at 7/2 - Campbell rounds 1-6 is now 7/5!
    On account of Perez not making weight first time probably.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Kap10 said:

You suspect correctly.

Great call on perez
    On account of Perez not making weight first time probably.
    Correct, he was never going to make weight, and he only had three weeks to prepare - why I knew that and the bookmakers didn't is beyond me! And I'm a bookmaker!!
  • Options
    @southamptonaddick wrote;

I'm at Wembley tonight with my two boys for the boxing. Hoping to see AJ carry on undefeated. In the £60 Gods as the only tickets available.
    Anyone else on here going?

First time I've actually been to a live official boxing event.

Really looking forward to it.

Come on AJ................................ Anthony Joshua
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Can't wait for this, really think this fight can go either way.

Feels strange really wanting AJ to win but at the same time having like and respect for Klitschko.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@southamptonaddick wrote;

I'm at Wembley tonight with my two boys for the boxing. Hoping to see AJ carry on undefeated. In the £60 Gods as the only tickets available.
    Anyone else on here going?

First time I've actually been to a live official boxing event.

Really looking forward to it.

Come on AJ................................ Anthony Joshua

@southamptonaddick pretty good debut for you for your first live boxing. Don't worry about being in the Gods - it's being there that counts so just soak up the atmosphere. Have fun with your boys - it will be priceless and some of my most memorable and enjoyable experiences have been at live boxing with my two.

Oh Anthony Joshua!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Steve Bunce on BBC News earlier saying that it doesn't really matter if Anthony loses this fight as he's got a long career in front of him. Gotta say I couldn't disagree more, what fighter wants a defeat on their record?

Heart wants Anthony, head says Klitschko
  • Options

Can't strange really wanting AJ to win but at the same time having like and respect for Klitschko.

Exactly this. Want Joshua to win, but Klitschko is a class act in & out of the ring.

A lot depends on which Klitschko turns up. If it's the klitschko that fought Fury, Joshua wins easily. If it's the Klitschko of a few years ago, it could be a very tough night for Joshua. Klitschko's age also a big factor.

I honestly think this is 1 of the biggest fights ever to be held in this country. Klitschko's style means it probably won't be a great fight to watch, but really looking forward to it.
  • Options

Can't strange really wanting AJ to win but at the same time having like and respect for Klitschko.

Exactly this. Want Joshua to win, but Klitschko is a class act in & out of the ring.

A lot depends on which Klitschko turns up. If it's the klitschko that fought Fury, Joshua wins easily. If it's the Klitschko of a few years ago, it could be a very tough night for Joshua. Klitschko's age also a big factor.

I honestly think this is 1 of the biggest fights ever to be held in this country. Klitschko's style means it probably won't be a great fight to watch, but really looking forward to it.
    Bruno/McCall at Wembley in 1995 was pretty big, as was Froch/Groves II - but I tend to agree that this one tops it.

I don't think the old Vlad is still there to be summoned up but I'm hoping for a good fight and a real test for AJ. If Vlad can turn back the clock then he wins, and it will probably be the best night of his career.

Both honourable men showing immense mutual respect - whatever the outcome the important thing, of course, is that they both walk out of the ring safe and well.
  • Options
    Klitschko and his equally boring brother killed the heavyweight division . Hope he gets spanked again.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Klitschko and his equally boring brother killed the heavyweight division . Hope he gets spanked again.

I categorically disagree with that.

Both the brothers fought everyone and anyone who wanted to fight them (apart from fighting each other of course). It was neither of their fault that the division was bereft of talent for most of their careers. Lennox, in most people's view (and mine) was a great champion and probably deserves a place in the top 10 of all time - the prospect of fighting Vitali again (very unlucky in their fight) forced his retirement!

Vladimir and Vitali are both Hall of Famers in my opinion.
  • Options
    Heart says klitschko, head says AJ 5th round stoppage.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    elcafc said:

Heart says klitschko, head says AJ 5th round stoppage.

Snap. Fancy AJ in the 5th but when you really think about it this is so hard to call.

A lot will depend on the fitness of Klitschko.
  • Options
    Klitschko did look very fit at the weigh in...
  • Options
    AJ hasn't been tested at all and Dillon Whyte caused him problems.

I couldn't take 1/2 on AJ - far too short.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!