Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• Interesting. So reading between the lines LLDC rejected the proposal on the basis 2 teams would have had to share? If so was that based on general English football attitudes towards sharing or were the clubs interested already getting involved very early doors? The cynic in me says the latter.
  • gavros said:

I try to stay off here but I just had to laugh out loud at the frankly ludicrous idea of West Ham being forced to pay £30 million a year in rent.....absolutely laughable. IF we are still in the EU should the Commission ever get around to looking into it and IF they conclude it is state sponsorship then on what basis would West Ham be expected to pay £30 million when Man City pay £3 million? And when Real Madrid and Barcelona were ordered to pay £15 million and £4 respectively (one-off payments) for flagrant state aid violations? And IF it ever got to this mental state of affairs then West Ham would as is its right simply terminate the contract, move elsewhere temporarily and build its own ground. In which case you have the stadium losing even more money. Well done.

Stick to discussing with West Ham fans what they think the experiential gains and losses are of leaving the Boelyn Ground and moving to the Olympic Stadium.

Universal success is it?
    Jam tomorrow is it?

Or is it a case of you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone?

West Ham have snaffled shedloads of free money courtesy of the tax payer, revel in that as you cross the vast concourse.
  • Frankly without all the extra costs caused by West ham being there I'm pretty sure we could make similar losses using it as our national athletics stadium (something we don't have therfore worth being subsidised) and filling the gaps with one off events such as music gigs, t20 finals day, NFL or the odd rugby match, that car thing they do in stadiums etc etc.... plenty of potential to pull some money back.

At worst a sport that is under participated in in this country (athletics) get that hair own stadium for a similar loss and without all that hair he hassle.
  • colthe3rd said:

Interesting. So reading between the lines LLDC rejected the proposal on the basis 2 teams would have had to share? If so was that based on general English football attitudes towards sharing or were the clubs interested already getting involved very early doors? The cynic in me says the latter.

I don't yet know by whom or why the original plan was rejected but it would not have been the LLDC, which did not exist then. Some combo of politicians and whichever public body was charged with assessing the type Olympic bid we would put in. We are talking early 2000's here.
  • Sponsored links:

• @PragueAddick

Is there a break clause to the lease? And if so are there any penalties? I assume if there were they'd be reduced over time.
  • colthe3rd said:

Interesting. So reading between the lines LLDC rejected the proposal on the basis 2 teams would have had to share? If so was that based on general English football attitudes towards sharing or were the clubs interested already getting involved very early doors? The cynic in me says the latter.

I don't yet know by whom or why the original plan was rejected but it would not have been the LLDC, which did not exist then. Some combo of politicians and whichever public body was charged with assessing the type Olympic bid we would put in. We are talking early 2000's here.
    Yes of course silly me. Corrected twice in one day, think I must be ill.
  • Frankly without all the extra costs caused by West ham being there I'm pretty sure we could make similar losses using it as our national athletics stadium (something we don't have therfore worth being subsidised) and filling the gaps with one off events such as music gigs, t20 finals day, NFL or the odd rugby match, that car thing they do in stadiums etc etc.... plenty of potential to pull some money back.

At worst a sport that is under participated in in this country (athletics) get that hair own stadium for a similar loss and without all that hair he hassle.

It's a shame that a couple of London's rugby teams who currently find themselves outside of the capital (London Irish, Wasps) couldn't get a groundshare, with the London Broncos and some kind of Sevens tournament there picking up the slack in the summer as well as athletics? What an absolute farce.
  • Addickted said:

@PragueAddick

Is there a break clause to the lease? And if so are there any penalties? I assume if there were they'd be reduced over time.

Contract can only be terminated by WH if stadium defaults in providing services. No break clause, it's 99 years. Usage fee is fixed, no reviews, no escalator for inflation, so normal need for a break clause goes away. On the various charges and fees payable by WH it was felt necessary to add the words at the very end "....the Parties agree, that this Clause 20.20 is the result of negotiations and is reasonable and necessary given the effect of this Agreement as a whole...."
  • Fiiish said:

Frankly without all the extra costs caused by West ham being there I'm pretty sure we could make similar losses using it as our national athletics stadium (something we don't have therfore worth being subsidised) and filling the gaps with one off events such as music gigs, t20 finals day, NFL or the odd rugby match, that car thing they do in stadiums etc etc.... plenty of potential to pull some money back.

It's a shame that a couple of London's rugby teams who currently find themselves outside of the capital (London Irish, Wasps) couldn't get a groundshare, with the London Broncos and some kind of Sevens tournament there picking up the slack in the summer as well as athletics? What an absolute farce.
    The current size of the stadium makes it far too big for anything other than concerts really, other than once a year athletics meetings

If they had reduced it to 30k as originally planned, it still would have been too large for rugby really, especially as it's the wrong side of London for the main clubs, though maybe one might have gambled on it.
  • I understand the Commission might look more kindly on West Ham if they would do that.

And can you tell us how it costs £8m per year to take out the retractables and put them back? And how are you enjoying the matchday experience?

Questions , questions, questions, gavros. Best regards to your mates at KUMB, and do mention I am still waiting for my member login to be authorised. That's about 9 months and two reminders now. A bit silly when we allow you and several others to post here quite freely and provide us with your entertaining observations.

You 'understand'. Right-oh. The Commission would have taken years to get around to a full on inquiry and years to make it's mind up on it. Many more than it has available given we're heading out the EU (unless you hadn't seen the news)...

I have no clue as to how they messed up with the seating as they did. As you know the sub-contractor which was going to install the original retractable solution went bust and as a result we've ended up with the breeze block and stanchion mess we have. But that's not West Ham's fault.

As for me, my view now is as good as it was at Upton Park. Granted many others aren't though.

You won't get anywhere with KUMB by the way, they ban West Ham fans for the slightest perceived offence to their officious mods and 'ITKs'. There are other West Ham forums that would let you try to have a go, though.

• Fiiish said:

Frankly without all the extra costs caused by West ham being there I'm pretty sure we could make similar losses using it as our national athletics stadium (something we don't have therfore worth being subsidised) and filling the gaps with one off events such as music gigs, t20 finals day, NFL or the odd rugby match, that car thing they do in stadiums etc etc.... plenty of potential to pull some money back.

Irish are pencilled in for Brentford's new ground.
  • gavros said:

I understand the Commission might look more kindly on West Ham if they would do that.

And can you tell us how it costs £8m per year to take out the retractables and put them back? And how are you enjoying the matchday experience?

Questions , questions, questions, gavros. Best regards to your mates at KUMB, and do mention I am still waiting for my member login to be authorised. That's about 9 months and two reminders now. A bit silly when we allow you and several others to post here quite freely and provide us with your entertaining observations.

You 'understand'. Right-oh. The Commission would have taken years to get around to a full on inquiry and years to make it's mind up on it. Many more than it has available given we're heading out the EU (unless you hadn't seen the news)...

I have no clue as to how they messed up with the seating as they did. As you know the sub-contractor which was going to install the original retractable solution went bust and as a result we've ended up with the breeze block and stanchion mess we have. But that's not West Ham's fault.

As for me, my view now is as good as it was at Upton Park.
    Granted many others aren't though.

You won't get anywhere with KUMB by the way, they ban West Ham fans for the slightest perceived offence to their officious mods and 'ITKs'. There are other West Ham forums that would let you try to have a go, though.

Thank feck you're all right then.
    Beats Upton Park all day long huh?
  • gavros said:

tand the Commission might look more kindly on West Ham if they would do that.

As for me, my view now is as good as it was at Upton Park. Granted many others aren't though.

...in case you missed it above Gavin, we'd all be interested in an update on the stadium naming deal you said was imminent and going to provide such a great return for the taxpayer.

telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/27/west-ham-left-counting-cost-of-hooliganism-after-naming-rights-s/

Come on you like to present yourself as ITK and having been banging on about what a generous deal WHU were offering up, surely you have a view?
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiish said:

The current size of the stadium makes it far too big for anything other than concerts really, other than once a year athletics meetings

If they had reduced it to 30k as originally planned, it still would have been too large for rugby really, especially as it's the wrong side of London for the main clubs, though maybe one might have gambled on it.
    True, I never said it was an ideal situation but better than the farce it currently is (basically sole use by West Ham and covered in West Ham livery at taxpayers' cost, not to mention the total unsuitability for it as a football ground both during the game and before and after given all the issues). Dual use by two rugby clubs, who meet less regularly than football clubs so could be feasible, with use as a concert venue on weekdays and when rugby isn't on, would be great for 3/4 of the year, then use as a sevens pitch and athletics/summer sports stadium during the summer, even possibly London Broncos. The only argument there is for West Ham having it is financial viability but as this thread has proven a dozen times over, it is still haemorrhaging money.

Surely going to the other side of London is better than driving or training out to Coventry or Reading as is the case for two of London's main clubs?
  • edited November 2016
    gavros said:

seth plum said:

Beats Upton Park all day long huh?

For the 20,000 who couldnt get a ticket before, yeah, I guess it does.
    Good enough reason as any for the taxpayers to flatten a section of a major city and built a terrible stadium.

Can't wait to see the Government's plans to give away a free stadium to the dozen or so other teams in the Premier League who want to get more bums on seats.
  • Fiiish said:

Good enough reason as any for the taxpayers to flatten a section of a major city and built a terrible stadium.

Except its not the reason, is it? The reason is a long and rather dull list of reasonings that start with those early pre-bid plans, through West Ham's original offer to pay into a proper multipurpose stadium, to the decision to make it a 20k athletics venue, to deciding against that and keeping the whole thing, which then naturally led to West Ham becoming anchor tenants. Its been a total shambles since day one, but it ain't West Ham's fault.

• gavros said:

Fiiish said:

Except its not the reason, is it? The reason is a long and rather dull list of reasonings that start with those early pre-bid plans, through West Ham's original offer to pay into a proper multipurpose stadium, to the decision to make it a 20k athletics venue, to deciding against that and keeping the whole thing, which then naturally led to West Ham becoming anchor tenants. Its been a total shambles since day one, but it ain't West Ham's fault.

'naturally'?
    LOL
  • edited November 2016
    Fiiish said:

I went to the England v Australia Rugby League international a couple of weeks ago. It's a soul-less place with no atmosphere. The roof is pointing upwards at 45 degrees, so any noise disappears up and out of the stadium. The seats near the front are uncovered and the seats in the upper tier are too far away to have any effect on the game. So not much of a ground to watch Rugby.

West Ham's hardcore support has been completely mugged off by this move and judging by KUMB they know it as well.

• gavros said:

Fiiish said:

Its been a total shambles since day one, but it ain't West Ham's fault.
    Remarkable.

Getting more like Millwall every day.

• Apparently 85% were in favour of the move. Perhaps they deserve to be mugged off.

• edited November 2016
    I think the argument that the state aid issue will go nowhere because we will be out of the EU before they can do anything gives Gavros away. I mean he could say, there was no state aid so nothing can come of it. But his position admits there was/is from his perspective!