Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Olympic Stadium; our day in court

Comments

• A job I am on has a large amount of West Ham fans present. Around 90% of them a very, very unhappy with the move
  • Already started hasn't it?

I don't know or I probably wouldn't have asked...
  • Fumbluff said:

When does the Boleyn get bulldozed?

LOL! Given the ground is to be bulldozed and, I assume, luxury flats built on it, they might struggle to "do a charlton"!
    I would say you should wash your mouth out, but it's more fingers and keyboard in this technical age.

I know of a certain Belgian "visionary" who might take that sort of comment as the germ of an idea....

• Cheers @creepyaddick Sad Times....
  • Looking at the comments of West Ham fans doesn't make me LOL. It shows many of them are victims of an almighty stitch up and are proper fans. They seem to have sussed out that this was nothing to do with what was best for them. I always enjoyed going to Upton Park. I viewed it as a proper ground. West Ham didn't need to move. I'd like to see something happen which means thet Gold, Sullivan and Brady can'tmake a profit out of this act of selfish vandalism and in my view corruption.

I am a bit less inclined to be sympathetic, Muttley. Where was their organised resistance to the move? This, remember, is the only club in London with no Supporters Trust. The Spurs people told us there is a supporter group which tried to resist, and discreetly asked if they wanted to talk to the Coalition. They were too scared to even meet us. They had suffered bullying and intimidation from both the club and other fans. I am sure a lot of them are decent fans, but they could have fought harder and behaved with more class.
    But fans are fans - that's all they want to be - not revolutionaries. We have been pushed into our own personal fight and they need pushing, but there always comes a point.
  • Looking at the comments of West Ham fans doesn't make me LOL. It shows many of them are victims of an almighty stitch up and are proper fans. They seem to have sussed out that this was nothing to do with what was best for them. I always enjoyed going to Upton Park. I viewed it as a proper ground. West Ham didn't need to move. I'd like to see something happen which means thet Gold, Sullivan and Brady can'tmake a profit out of this act of selfish vandalism and in my view corruption.

I am a bit less inclined to be sympathetic, Muttley. Where was their organised resistance to the move? This, remember, is the only club in London with no Supporters Trust. The Spurs people told us there is a supporter group which tried to resist, and discreetly asked if they wanted to talk to the Coalition. They were too scared to even meet us. They had suffered bullying and intimidation from both the club and other fans. I am sure a lot of them are decent fans, but they could have fought harder and behaved with more class.
    But fans are fans - that's all they want to be - not revolutionaries. We have been pushed into our own personal fight and they need pushing, but there always comes a point.
    Sorry, I disagree. You yourself, you are not "just a fan", who turns up for 90 minutes, and does not think beyond what happened, are you, because you support the protests, if I recall.

In all cases, there are activist fans who lead movements. The Valley Party first meeting was attended by 9 people, as I never tire of saying. And there were on the other hand, "fans" who never wanted to leave Selhurst. It's a spectrum, always. West Ham just don't seem to be well equipped at the top end, and especially well equipped with sheep.

• Sponsored links:

• It's ironic that a ground that was at one time being used because the Valley was abandoned and derelict will soon be gone forever and the Valley is still going strong.
    Ground moves happen, the difference here (unlike virtually every other move) is that West Ham left the Boleyn for something far worse as a football stadium.

The Boleyn was perfect for their needs, the West Stand was packed with boxes and lounges and if they really wanted to they could have expanded the Chicken Run side
  • Well it looks like E20 are going to get a bit more cash in their coffers next summer as Guns n Roses are going to be playing there.
  • cafc999 said:

A job I am on has a large amount of West Ham fans present. Around 90% of them a very, very unhappy with the move

Wonder if they would feel the same if they were top of the league (or lets say top 6/7)?
  • Well it looks like E20 are going to get a bit more cash in their coffers next summer as Guns n Roses are going to be playing there.

Beat they got a cheap deal cos that @PragueAddick spilled the beans on Wet Spam's rent.

Beat they got a cheap deal cos that @PragueAddick spilled the beans on Wet Spam's rent.
    :-) Actually I cannot recall who told me this but it is was someone in the biz, who said that E20 will get sod all for concerts like this. Most of the money goes to the promoter. You are just renting out a shed.

:-) Actually I cannot recall who told me this but it is was someone in the biz, who said that E20 will get sod all for concerts like this. Most of the money goes to the promoter. You are just renting out a shed.

Ah, that's interesting. At £100 per ticket, someone is making a pot load of money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went tonight as my friend's dad is a Burnley fan (didn't actually end up sitting in the away end as we used some Hammer season ticket holders seats that he knows). It's terrible as a football ground. Everything about it doesn't add up. I can't see them making it any sort of fortress at all and I'd feel pretty empty if we left the valley to go somewhere like that.

Which actually makes the decision to award it to them and for the taxpayer to fund the bulk of it a pretty bad decision all round really

Another ground ticked off the list at least
  • I note that the ringleader of this gang was jailed for four years for his part in nicking £300,000 from the taxpayer #justsaying

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/5923.aspx
  • I note that the ringleader of this gang was jailed for four years for his part in nicking £300,000 from the taxpayer #justsaying

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/5923.aspx

That is one of the terrible things about life - I mean the punishment was deserved, but somebody who has ripped off the taxpayer for more money is lauded and made a baroness!
  • I read today that there's the possibility of an MLB Series between The Red Sox and The Yankees being played at the stadium in 2018. Would the stadium be a good fit for baseball? There'll certainly be plenty of demand for tickets to this.
  • I read today that there's the possibility of an MLB Series between The Red Sox and The Yankees being played at the stadium in 2018. Would the stadium be a good fit for baseball? There'll certainly be plenty of demand for tickets to this.

The front row would be ok, the seats at the back would be grim. Baseball ground tend to be fairly enclosed, this is Yankee Stadium.

• Interesting. As a Red Sox fan I'd definitely be getting a ticket for that. They had opening day in Australia a couple of years back, not sure where but it was one of the cricket grounds and that worked fine so would assume the OS would be okay as well.
  • I've noticed that a lot of commentators are calling it the 'London stadium', if there was to be any kind of legacy from the Olympics I would expect it to be called the 'Olympic Stadium'. Even with naming rights I would expect the 'Tesco Olympic Stadium' for example.