Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Outrageous behaviour from our stewards today.

Comments

• Options

rikofold said:

mrbligh said:

@gwen

Please do not take the club's statement opinion as gospel and do not go in and view the incident with them.

"we believe that staff working for charlton athletic have acted appropriately at all times"

That is their opinion.

Report the assaults and allow the police to decide whether the individual committed unlawful violence on either you or your son.

"Working with the police" is a smokescreen, don't fall for it.

Katrien I know you'll have this reported back to you......

You are allegedly an intelligent person with legal training, please have a read of this explanation of common assault and then re-watch the footage

Under Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act the offence will be committed when a person either assaults another person or commits a battery.

A battery is classified as the application of unlawful force. This could be anything from a push or slap.

An assault is when the one person makes the other fear that immediate force will be used against them. This could be anything from shaking a fist or running a finger across a throat. No force needs to be applied in order for it to be an assault.

It might be wise to dis-associate the club from the individual's actions if they have acted inappropriately in light of this little first year law re-cap

@mrbligh, if the CCTV images were comprehensive and showed the fullness of the incident, why would it be against Gwen's interests to go view them and discuss them with the club? It doesn't prejudice her right to pursue a latter action at all. Genuine question.

I'm struggling to see who legal action benefits to be honest. Even assuming there is sufficient evidence to support what happened to Gwen, I can't imagine anything more coming of this than common assault for the steward himself. Pretty insignificant outcome, and taking action aimed at the club might ultimately result in them declining Gwen's future business - the impact could be greater for her, particularly as she has personal reasons for being attached to her seat.

It would be a lesson for the steward perhaps, but the real issue is that the club saw fit to eject a fan just for displaying a banner. Reading the ground regulations they're worded in a way that gives the club justification for ejecting a fan for just about any reason they see fit, particularly if he failed to comply with the steward's instructions by putting it back up again.

It's all very unreasonable and unfair I know, but personally I think the fans should just go along, hear what they have to say and watch the CCTV. If they feel they've been unfairly treated then perhaps CASTrust and/or the FSF can take things to a more political level - I'm sure Matt Pennycook would have an interest in how the club are behaving given KM's comments to him.

But to be fair, I've no doubt Mick and John will handle it fairly - they're very decent people.
    john little ? Not in my experience
    Agree. I have had dealings with Mr Little and he doesn't do fair unless it makes his life easier. He certainly won't make any personally courageous decisions.
    who we talking about the rapper or Robin Hoods mate?
    PMSL! I couldn't do the quoting thing properly
  • Options
    To clear this up, as I understand it from Gwen, the situation was that the first steward handled it badly and as a result prompted a situation whereby the security guys were called down to effect Josh's ejection. In the process of grabbing Josh they knocked Gwen - she wasn't punched in the face. The police advised the stewards that Josh hadn't done anything but they ejected him on the instructions of a senior person at the club and confiscated his season ticket. Gwen was allowed back to her seat as she was caring for someone.

Gwen and Josh are going to review the CCTV together with Mick Everett tomorrow.
  • Options
    Has the interrogation taken place yet ?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So, according to the club statement:

"No-one recently has been removed from the ground for having a banner".

My question therefore is:
    Which of the following is true?

1) Gwen's son was not removed from the ground.
    2) Gwen's son was removed for a reason other than 'having a banner'. If so, what was the reason?
    3) The statement is a lie.

Anyone able to enlighten me?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

To clear this up, as I understand it from Gwen, the situation was that the first steward handled it badly and as a result prompted a situation whereby the security guys were called down to effect Josh's ejection. In the process of grabbing Josh they knocked Gwen - she wasn't punched in the face. The police advised the stewards that Josh hadn't done anything but they ejected him on the instructions of a senior person at the club and confiscated his season ticket. Gwen was allowed back to her seat as she was caring for someone.

Gwen and Josh are going to review the CCTV together with Mick Everett tomorrow.

"a senior person at the club" - any clues on what her name is ?
  • Options
    Any update from the meeting with the club @Gwen ?
  • Options
    From my seat in the East Stand my attention was drawn to the banner, and the general displeasure shown when apparently it was asked to be taken down.
    Then the initial steward went away (here comes the tricky bit) and the support started chanting 'put it back', to the tune of here we go.it was promptly displayed following the chanting
    I interpreted that as a piss take of the initial steward and then more than one returned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016

So, according to the club statement:

"No-one recently has been removed from the ground for having a banner".

My question therefore is:
    Which of the following is true?

1) Gwen's son was not removed from the ground.
    2) Gwen's son was removed for a reason other than 'having a banner'. If so, what was the reason?
    3) The statement is a lie.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

What you have to ask yourself is 'how recent is recent?'. As far as I am aware nobody was removed from the ground yesterday for having a banner but in their eyes last Saturday was not recent, therefore in their own warped minds they are not lying! ;-)

The irony here is that they are happy to show people allegedly shagging on the pitch on the club website, despite sexual activity anywhere in the stadium not being allowed under club rules, but displaying an inoffensive protest banner is grounds for removal........
  • Options
    seth plum said:

From my seat in the East Stand my attention was drawn to the banner, and the general displeasure shown when apparently it was asked to be taken down.
    Then the initial steward went away (here comes the tricky bit) and the support started chanting 'put it back', to the tune of here we go.it was promptly displayed following the chanting
    I interpreted that as a piss take of the initial steward and then more than one returned.

I think you're right.

The guy's reaction to the stewards telling him to remove the bed sheet was what escalated the situation.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

seth plum said:

I think you're right.

The guy's reaction to the stewards telling him to remove the bed sheet was what escalated the situation.
    The guy had the banner in his hand, the steward then made a grab for him.
  • Options
    This video includes some clearing of the stairs post match. The stewards were in no mood to wait and had words with a few of the customers they were keen to get to vacate. I am not suggesting that they did anything that warrants a complaint, but the methods employed were not those that I would expect to be used if a business cared about it's customers. Belly barging tactics were employed but not apparent on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzWh9gbEc8&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Punch them in the face if they do it again.
  • Options
    Well no, don't do that. I'm sure the facts will become clear in due course but the stewards are just trying to do their job and they're under instruction from those managing the ground on the day. Don't make them a target, they're not the club - and they're nowhere near the worst out there either.
  • Options
    I think we should get a big firm up and smash our way into the board room and not let anyone out until Rd signs the club over for a quid,
  • Options

I think we should get a big firm up and smash our way into the board room and not let anyone out until Rd signs the club over for a quid,

This is a great idea
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Tavern said:

This is a great idea
    Doable as tav,

well maybe not the signing the club over but I reckon we could pull enough willing to do it and up the stakes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me at all. That's what I thought all along.
  • Options
    Dear oh dear.

Perhaps the OP title should be changed to something more accurate.
  • Options
    has he got his ST back?
  • Options
    it's as if someone has got to them. (mob style)
  • Options
    thanks for the update
  • Options

it's as if someone has got to them. (mob style)

Or more likely, the CCTV didn't back up the way the story was originally represented both on here and on FB.

• Options
    So did the steward say to Josh, I'm placing my hand on your shoulder?
    I know what I saw and it was a grab.