Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done to ALL Protest participants and organisers!

Comments

• Options
    sorry @cherryorchard - I'm sure you were the exception to the rule :-) Cheers
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Again was there at the front but was dissapointed to see so many from the west stand just walk on by oblivious. Don't they care.

Yep I was there, I guess that we have to accept that some people don't want to be a part of our protest, which is their choice. However Myself my son and his girlfriend all stood shoulder to shoulder with other fans to demonstrate against the owner etc and we're proud to do so. We will continue to do whatever is necessary to get RD out of our club.
    Not all west stand supporters are oblivious but I too am disappointed and saddened by the lack of protest support from this area of the ground.
  • Options
    Read Mick Collin's comments on this thread Suz. I found them very depressing.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/71142/slp-article-is-jose-riga-a-rebel/p2

• Options

All around me in the West stood up and sang. The guy next to me who I chat with didn't. He spouted the argument if who else would want us so we are stuck with RD therefore protesting is pointless.

I told him about Varneys emails and the knowledge amongst some that there would be interested parties should he be willing to sell up.

I think this is the biggest reason why some supporters are not joining the campaign - the thought that there is no other option.

My dad sits in west and doesn't understand why people are protesting and does say 'who else will come in?' He said he got a leaflet but said it was a load of tosh when I asked him yesterday, I didn't delve any further as didn't want an argument and I was more concerned to find out whether my 89 yr old grandad got out of the lower west ok to get to the hospital to visit my nan before the protest began.

Having been away and being busy at work I've not had time to read everything, I am struggling to find things to say to change his mind which makes me think other non-social network/forum supporting charlton fans might also feel this way. Is there a comprehensive list of reasons why there are protests or why we want them out? (I'm sure there is I just don't know where to look) but I'd at least like to give my dad the list to read so he can make up his mind knowing more information.

He obviously isn't happy with recent results on the pitch, but he accepts that is part and parcel of football, you can't win all the time etc. He finds it a bit bonkers appointing a previous manager, but as he believes he was the better of the bunch we've had so far, he can see the reasons why he's back, rather than seeing the negative in the reappointment.

Don't shoot me for this next paragraph, I'm just trying to be honest, but having stood back and read a lot of the discussions rather than commenting, I do think there is a 'hype' has been whipped up because so many of you are so absorbed in all things CAFC. (which isn't wrong btw!) I am supportive of what you are trying to achieve and the PV stuff definately swayed me over to that way of thinking, but I think this is why i find it hard to explain the why's and what's to my dad, as I'm probably a little confused myself. I do find once some of you made your mind up that Katrien & Roland were 'bad', you have then read into every minor decision, statement, decision to suit your way of thinking, when sometimes, it may not be so sinister. I'm not defending some of the decisions they have made, but I'm just trying to work out in my mind from a distance what I think about the whole thing. As I said, I am further removed, and less emotionally attached compared to what I used to be (no ST etc) and I am a lot more relaxed about it these days, I let losses wash over me, instead of letting it ruin my whole weekend. This didnt just start when Katrien & Roland came in either so can't blame them for falling out of love with my club.

Suzi, I think your last paragraph sums up the PR issues that are going to be key moving forward.

Apart from demanding the removal of KM and RD there seems to be no coherent message coming out that explains just what has gone wrong. I have been unhappy at games for a while but I doubt I would eloquently explain why. The results have been poor but until Colchester in the cup they were just relegation form and we did spend three years in the third division recently and haven't spent a lot of money on players so it seems logical that we would be near the bottom of the table. Despite these results and the underinvestment in the squad the club is running up debts. This makes it easy for those on the outside looking in wondering just what Charlton fans want. Is it more of someone else's money spent on their team? If so, this is, essentially, what all other fans want.

Every time I've had a conversation with someone that supports the protests, and after all the time I spend on here I still don't know, exactly, what the protests are for, save what all football fans want, which is more money spent on the club/team and better results as a consequence. I hear lots of comments that are, in isolation, undesirable like RD interfering in the team selection, and RD not caring if we lose as long as his players stats are good, but none of this, even when added together, makes our issues look very different from the rest of the football world.

I'm not an apologist for the club and I'm more than happy for RD and KM to move on, especially if we can find someone that will drop £150m on our club for us, but despite having read most of the media stories, and seen football pundits talk about us, without actually saying much, I am still not convinced that I know what the specific issue is beyond poor recruitment in the manager and some of the players. For example, selling young talented players to balance the books is what all clubs have to do, including Man Utd and Chelsea. It's also what Charlton have done for most of the time I've been watching them. Undesirable as it is, it is a fact of life.

For the reasons above, and in line with what Suzi says I think there will always be some fans that just don't get it, and will be asking what all the fuss is about.
  • Options

Again was there at the front but was dissapointed to see so many from the west stand just walk on by oblivious. Don't they care.

We have to respect the views of those who are either happy with the way the club is run or, more likely, just want to turn up and watch and then go. It's as much their right to do that as it ours to protest and both views should be respected. At the end of the day, we are all Charlton supporters and will be here long after Roland has died and Meire has become a middle-aged failed executive with a string of corporate balls-ups to her name.
  • Options

Thought everything was positive on Saturday, most were happy to take a leaflet, think the message is definately getting across. Only dissenting comment I had was 'you're just a sheep mate' which I replied 'bbbbaaaaaaa'. Seemed to confuse him !

Brilliant.
  • Options
    I am in a similar position to Suzi as I don't go any more due to work. In my job a meet a lot of people everyday and quite a few Charlton fans and to back up AFKA's observations the middle aged blokes really do not have an interest in the protests. I keep hearing things like "Well they got us out of debt" and "We've had a lot of poor owners over the years, this lot are no worse.....". One regular who comes in before every home game was totally unaware of the protest movement until very recently. I really do thing there is a link between those who use social media and are active or at least concerned with the situation.
    Having said that there are still plenty who do come in and are not happy and have got involved, but they do tend to be younger. I will continue to try and educate the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have suggested that a leaflet with 10 or so bullet points, clearly identifying the main issues we have with the regime might be produced for the next home game.

This would be mainly aimed at those without social media channels & who for one reason or another don't buy VOTV.

I feel this could go a long way towards clarifying the issue and would give the facts for the doubters to consider.

BTW, it's obvious that some fans haven't heard about PV's investors, hence the question " Who would buy us ?"

That, in itself is a good enough reason for an informative, unemotional leaflet.

Think some of these people don't know things because they are not that interested. The Varney approach has been quite widely discussed in newspapers and on the radio, as well as being all over the internet. If people are so disconnected from media around the club I am not sure they are going to take any notice of a a flyer, but in any event the Trust News plans to address these issues on Feb 13th.
  • Options
    Sounds like we need to get the important points printed on bus pass and pension book holders and distribute these free before home games :-)
  • Options
    We don't need all supporters on our side, we have the majority i would say now! what we need is to get ROLLAND OUT! all focus should be on this not gathering more support.

Keep putting the info we already have out, and lets put media pressure on the regime, more will follow themselves.

Remember we are the majority now not the minority!
  • Options

I have suggested that a leaflet with 10 or so bullet points, clearly identifying the main issues we have with the regime might be produced for the next home game.

This would be mainly aimed at those without social media channels & who for one reason or another don't buy VOTV.

I feel this could go a long way towards clarifying the issue and would give the facts for the doubters to consider.

BTW, it's obvious that some fans haven't heard about PV's investors, hence the question " Who would buy us ?"

That, in itself is a good enough reason for an informative, unemotional leaflet.

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest actually, almost like an easily digestible 'FAQ'. Great minds! ;)
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

We don't need all supporters on our side, we have the majority i would say now! what we need is to get ROLLAND OUT! all focus should be on this not gathering more support.

Keep putting the info we already have out, and lets put media pressure on the regime, more will follow themselves.

Remember we are the majority now not the minority!

There are probably fans at Blackpool who think Oysten has done nothing wrong. Strange but probably likely. Same at Villa, Leeds etc with their owners. You will never get 100% support on wanting our owners out, like that you will still get people who will purchase merchandise, food/drink from the club but if the ones that believe in it, that we can get our club back and keep carrying on in the same manner we won't lose.

We won't force them out tomorrow, but keep chipping away and one day they will get the message and go.
  • Options
    My dad is obviously not 'supportive' of the protests, not because he disagrees, but because he doesn't understand. He isn't aware of what you're protesting about. There is a difference. I'd make up a percentage of those I think are indifferent but I dont think throwing around guesstimates is particularly helpful(!). It just builds a template for others to quote as a fact.

I have to say, I can see my dad's point sometimes. It would be great to introduce a one page document, thanks Fanny, explaining what the owners/ceo have done 'wrong' to perhaps make him think, and then make up his mind. He and others can't be criticised or ignored because they don't know of/about something. There is a difference if he chooses to disagree with it?

He is CAFC through and through, and I dont think he needs to go on a forum, read VOTV, watch BBC clips online, join a facebook fan group to justify that. He has had a season ticket for years, he pays into Valley Gold and he buys a programme every match. Why would he think anything with the 'regime' is wrong? (except for the football results which cannot be guaranteed no matter how much money is spent in reality!?)
  • Options
    Mainly because the recruitment of the small pool of managers is so ridiculous and damaging. That is the biggest gripe for a lot of fans who don't read online.
  • Options
    I wasn't in any way criticising your dad or saying he wasn't a proper fan.

I was only saying that no campaign for any product or campaign will reach 100% of the target audience and neither would 100% ever support it.

So the campaign doesn't need to convince everyone.

Your dad is most likely in the 2nd 40%. To reach him and others not on social media who don't yet have enough info CARD need to vary the comms. Fanny's idea of a FAQ for example.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Spot on AFKA, nail right on the bonce.

• Options

Interesting to note that a guy with a clip board was out hawking teas, coffees and food to the disabled supporters and their helpers during the first half.

This does not normally happen.

I assume it was due to low revenue from kiosks.

Also before the game a group of youngsters were marched past the Covered End round to the East Stand where the photographer who accompanied them made them bunch up (i guess to make it look a packed crowd) took photos while they waved their flags & they were then taken to seats in the east stand but the flags were taken away from them & taken down the players tunnel. Never seen that carry on before, guess it will appear on some advertising somewhere for the "Charlton Experience"

• Options

Did any one get this Question thrown at them Yesterday ?

I guess you could call this a alternative view.

"That the reason Peter Varney revealed, or sent the emails, was he was negotiating his contract at Ebbsfleet at the time and wanted Leverage"

I said the most important thing was regardless of Peter Varney's intentions, was
    his impressive CV demanded a 30 minutes meeting or else Reply to the 1st email with a thank you, but no thank you.
    Even a teenage intern on a business course, job placement from uni, should realize that.

Is that what the liar was telling people in crossbars on saturday ? Gullible idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't believe people continue to put money into the Belgians pocket by keep going into the place anyway.
  • Options

Did any one get this Question thrown at them Yesterday ?

I guess you could call this a alternative view.

"That the reason Peter Varney revealed, or sent the emails, was he was negotiating his contract at Ebbsfleet at the time and wanted Leverage"

I said the most important thing was regardless of Peter Varney's intentions, was
    his impressive CV demanded a 30 minutes meeting or else Reply to the 1st email with a thank you, but no thank you.
    Even a teenage intern on a business course, job placement from uni, should realize that.

Is that what the liar was telling people in crossbars on saturday ? Gullible idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't believe people continue to put money into the Belgians pocket by keep going into the place anyway.
    WTF are you talking about Bob ?

If it was Katrien saying that and i was in Crossbars,
    i would say so, I was in Charlton Park when my son told me so had a Coffee
    from the cafe there, and that was my lot until i got home at 7.20.

The guy who put that point of view was about 40,
    and thou i was shocked to hear it ,the spell it out in black and white is a 2 way street, So that's why it was good to hear Airman's reply on this thread.

• Options

Interesting to note that a guy with a clip board was out hawking teas, coffees and food to the disabled supporters and their helpers during the first half.

This does not normally happen.

I assume it was due to low revenue from kiosks.

Also before the game a group of youngsters were marched past the Covered End round to the East Stand where the photographer who accompanied them made them bunch up (i guess to make it look a packed crowd) took photos while they waved their flags & they were then taken to seats in the east stand but the flags were taken away from them & taken down the players tunnel. Never seen that carry on before, guess it will appear on some advertising somewhere for the "Charlton Experience"

This happens before every game, The youngster parade the flags in front of the East Stand at about 2.45 after the players have left the pitch.

• Options
    Thanks @WrightCharlie Appreciate you taking the time to write out your thoughts, I will certainly copy and paste into a document for him for some bedtime reading as I do agree with a lot of your points. I dont think he'll be standing at the front with a placard, but at least he may understand the reasons for the protests.
  • Options
    The protest at the next home game needs some kind of leadership and structure as the momentum was tending to be a bit sporadic. I liked the tannoy and think this can be used by various speakers, song leaders, to give an impetus to the singing. I would gladly stand in silence but if we are going to make some noise then it would be better when it is led. I think whoever threw the bottle should be ashamed of themselves. Flares are good but can symbolise a riot and therefore may be inappropriate at keeping everyone on board. Well done to all those who handed out leaflets,stickers, and who in their own way led the singing. Let's make sure we are there for the next protest at the next home game.