Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sainsbury's Oven Gloves

Withdrawn from the shelves for failing to meet EU Regulations.

Has the world gone stark raving or is it just me?

My mind tells me we need to stay in the European Union for economic reasons - my heart says, "Time for a very sharp exit".

Comments

• Options
    is that the EU regulation that oven gloves need to be flameproof ?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Sainsbury's oven gloves? ...... they're just being used to take the heat out of the situation.

Or not as the case may be
  • Options
    I think it's a burning issue.
  • Options
    Had a good chat about Europe with some chums at a dinner party tother week. French, Swedes, German, Dutch and I was representing us Brits you'll all be pleased to know; and the upshot of it all was, the European Union sucks balls.
  • Options
    purdis said:

My mind tells me we need to stay in the European Union for economic reasons - my heart says, "Time for a very sharp exit".

Does your heart support the rights of companies to profit from selling faulty products, in this case oven gloves that cause damage to users and/or catch fire when used in the normal manner?

Do you have a link for Sainsbury's being affected? I can't see anything about them, and the vote was two weeks ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When are you moving back to Grove Park?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    IA said:

Why would I have to move to Grove Park?

• Options
    .....not that I ever lived in Grove Park
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited February 2016

IA said:

I didn't say you'd have to. Just asked when.
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

I didn't say you'd have to. Just asked when.
    Nothing planned
  • Options
    Always buy our oven gloves from Aldi.
  • Options
    B and Q were advertising their paint on TV tonight, and their main recommendation was that the paint received a favourable set of reviews on Mumsnet.
    I mean ffs.

I for one will never ever buy that product
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

Happy Christmas, Ho Ho Ho.

So Europe is bureaucratic. It is in some ways wasteful, and it is misguidedly looking for integration but not in a federal way.

However, it has fundamental principles like free movement of capital, freedom of establishment, free movement of labour that are both admiral and necessary to create a trading block to rival US, China, Russian influence.

Unfortunately it has weak and disjointed leaders. Italy has become better since the removal of berlusconi but Hollande is a complete twat, many countries are weak and do not meet the entry requirements. Situations like this need great leaders and bold plans.

We are at economic war against China and the US, we are actually fighting against oil rich countries.

Leaving the European project is going to make this worse. The problem is more that we are not involved enough. And that is deliberate, we have scaled back the foreign office, previously and even after the fall of the empire, the envy of the world. What is the fucking point being British if all you are worried about is yourself?

The rise of selfishness as the last word in excellence is the worst sign that we are becoming lazy, morally ideal and bankrupt.

Staying in Europe and working in Europe to further advance the vision we helped to create should be the starting point not an end goal.

Leaving would paralyse any business that works across borders. (One positive could be that Belgian owners may need work permits to get in Belgian staff but that's a personal thing)

British companies looking to borrow funds would be borrowing in a much smaller and less liquid market. Borrowing costs would rise to make Beitish firms less competitive.

The UK stock market, upon which many peoples final pensions outside of the government scheme are based would take a bath, retirement funds could be cut by a third or in half.

The whole country would suffer very badly and for what? To reduce the number of European immigrants looking to add to our economy and tax base.

Stay in, lead development and integration efforts, above all fucking lead rather than chillaxing.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Am I in a parallel universe where Charlton Life is Mumsnet?

What does your OH think?
  • Options
    IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

"Grandad what did you do when the Russian tanks flattened Berlin?"

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    Why do you think it's only a British thing wanting out of Europe?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Am I in a parallel universe where Charlton Life is Mumsnet?

What does your OH think?
    She'd rather poke her eyes out with a sharp stick than waste her time talking about anything kitchen- related when there' s sport in the TV.
  • Options

IA said:

"Grandad what did you do when the Russian tanks flattened Berlin?"

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    Why do you think it's only a British thing wanting out of Europe?
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

When are you moving back to the UK?