Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sainsbury's Oven Gloves

Comments

• Options
    Shrew said:

is that the EU regulation that oven gloves need to be flameproof ?

I need to move from my current existence to a PC World?
  • Options
    purdis said:

Shrew said:

Yes. Or a Curry's
  • Options
    IA said:

purdis said:

Shrew said:

Yes. Or a Curry's
    What's really sad is that, up until now, British folk understood that oven gloves should be heat resistant - you don the glove and remove the overly hot item from the oven and then put the offending item down on to a heat resistant surface, upon which you release the glove and leave it to cool.
    It requires minimal brainpower to work out that an oven glove can catch fire if misused - derrrr!
  • Options
    Harry Lennon singing "All you need is gloves."
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Jeez, I feel like I've gone mad. I've had to look it up now!
    Some of our best consumer protection legislation is only in place because of the EU. They are asking that oven gloves should be able to cope with 200 centigrade. The temperature that a lot of stuff is cooked at. What's wrong with that? If it stops Sainsbury's and others selling cheap rubbish that is not fit for purpose, a sort of oven glove equivalent of Vaz Te, that's a good thing isn't it?

Finally, someone gets to the heart of the EU regulatory, economic, and immigration-related issues: where were EU protections when we signed Ricardo Vaz Te?!?!?!?! Bloody foreigners coming over here taking our money and our jobs.
  • Options
    purdis said:

IA said:

purdis said:

Shrew said:

Yes. Or a Curry's
    What's really sad is that, up until now, British folk understood that oven gloves should be heat resistant - you don the glove and remove the overly hot item from the oven and then put the offending item down on to a heat resistant surface, upon which you release the glove and leave it to cool.
    It requires minimal brainpower to work out that an oven glove can catch fire if misused - derrrr!
    In what situation would you expect an oven glove to catch fire. What's the closest example to 'normal usage' in which you'd expect an oven glove to catch fire?
  • Options
    Sadly, I'll be surprised if this thread lasts another 24 hours
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Is Charlton Life the only football forum in the Uk where a thread entitled "Sainsbury's Oven Gloves" could ever be started? No wonder our rivals call us the Anoraks!

It was just to evoke a bit of banter, dear Bangkok - just for a bit of fun.

Lighten up! Be an anorak, embrace the opportunity.

When I see how intense some of the stuff is on here, sometimes a bit of alternative discussion is maybe not a bad thing.

My point really was based on a photo I saw in the media of a Syrian refugee camp in the Jordanian desert, now home to some 80,000 suffering human beings and here we are in the EU debating a standard for oven gloves - I have never known anybody in my worldly circle talk of oven gloves, be burnt by them, be concerned by them or give a toss about them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you own an oven glove manufacturing business per chance?
  • Options

My head says that if we use oven gloves as a reason to leave Europe we are truly bonkers. Especially rubbish ones that it seems logical to ban! But seriously, one thing that has always struck me about the in out Europe debate is the inability of either side to show without any reasonable doubt what is the most financially viable side of it. This may be because there are pros and cons. I have always believed there are two reasons why we would be stupid to leave - one is based on logic, and one is a bit sad, but I think true. The logic is that similar to the in out Scotland vote - when you are out, you are out. It may not be possible to get back in again! So if nobody can make a clear case, one way or the other, logic tells you to stay in until the clear case to come out is made. The sad reason is that Europe can't allow a member state that leaves to flourish. It will be a threat to the whole concept, so it will do what it can to ensure we regret it - and like it or not, it is very powerful. It isn't a threat it can openly make, but it is something it will surely do and it has the size and power to do it. When the US president tells you it is important to stay in, that is what you need to listen to - not stupid stories about oven gloves and bananas.

Cameron got about as good a deal as he was ever likely to get. I think he did a decent negotiating job, but it was a stupid to link the negotiations to a referendum because the exit brigade would never change their position over what he achieved. This is a stupid pointless vote that will stir up more trouble. The country will not benefit at all from it, whatever the outcome. It is just, it could be a complete disaster if we end up leaving Europe!

For me and many of my contempories the EU should be an economic union with a social conscience. What we have ended up with is loss of our sovereignty and becoming a part of a Federal Europe, a United States of Europe.

That is the problem I have - don't like being dictated to by an unelected body, i.e the European Commission.

The oven gloves issue is yet another example of petty tinkering by jobsworths.

The other problem is that we and the stronger EU nations are funding effectively third world economies, nations with cultures so different to ours that they will unlikely ever be able to contribute financially to the EU pot and, as such, GB is now Treasure Island for all inhabitants of the Union which is not sustainable and certainly not poliically popular.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Do you own an oven glove manufacturing business per chance?

Good job I don't or I'd be getting all my merchandise back!

Never been a fan of stock cleansing for the mightly retail corporations but this would be taking things all too far!
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

"Grandad what did you do when the Russian tanks flattened Berlin?"

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    Why do you think it's only a British thing wanting out of Europe?
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

When are you moving back to the UK?
    I think the British are quite happy to have regulations about oven gloves being safe to use, but for some they have to be British regulations, not Johnny Foreigner regulations.

Actually, we shouldn't need the EU on this, we have a Sale of Goods Act, or whatever the latest version is called, which says a product has to be as described and fit for the purpose for which it's sold. Oven gloves that don't keep your hands safe clearly fail on both counts. Sainsbury's should be tarred and feathered like a snake oil salesman in the old West,
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Am I in a parallel universe where Charlton Life is Mumsnet?

What does your OH think?
    She'd rather poke her eyes out with a sharp stick than waste her time talking about anything kitchen- related when there' s sport in the TV.
    How's she gonna watch the TV after the use of the sharp stick?
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

Why are you asking me when I'm moving back to the UK?
  • Options

My head says that if we use oven gloves as a reason to leave Europe we are truly bonkers. Especially rubbish ones that it seems logical to ban! But seriously, one thing that has always struck me about the in out Europe debate is the inability of either side to show without any reasonable doubt what is the most financially viable side of it. This may be because there are pros and cons. I have always believed there are two reasons why we would be stupid to leave - one is based on logic, and one is a bit sad, but I think true. The logic is that similar to the in out Scotland vote - when you are out, you are out. It may not be possible to get back in again! So if nobody can make a clear case, one way or the other, logic tells you to stay in until the clear case to come out is made. The sad reason is that Europe can't allow a member state that leaves to flourish. It will be a threat to the whole concept, so it will do what it can to ensure we regret it - and like it or not, it is very powerful. It isn't a threat it can openly make, but it is something it will surely do and it has the size and power to do it. When the US president tells you it is important to stay in, that is what you need to listen to - not stupid stories about oven gloves and bananas.

Cameron got about as good a deal as he was ever likely to get. I think he did a decent negotiating job, but it was a stupid to link the negotiations to a referendum because the exit brigade would never change their position over what he achieved. This is a stupid pointless vote that will stir up more trouble. The country will not benefit at all from it, whatever the outcome. It is just, it could be a complete disaster if we end up leaving Europe!

Very well put.
  • Options

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

I think the British are quite happy to have regulations about oven gloves being safe to use, but for some they have to be British regulations, not Johnny Foreigner regulations.

Actually, we shouldn't need the EU on this, we have a Sale of Goods Act, or whatever the latest version is called, which says a product has to be as described and fit for the purpose for which it's sold. Oven gloves that don't keep your hands safe clearly fail on both counts. Sainsbury's should be tarred and feathered like a snake oil salesman in the old West,
    I do find it hard to accept that Sainsburys would risk tarring their reputation by skimping on a specification on oven glove manufacture. All very odd.

Guess I must be naive to the money grabbiing evils of the mighty retail corporations.

I would expect oven gloves I might have bought from a door to door 'hawker' (not a term I like as it demeans their job - poor sods just trying to skimp a living or getting back on the straight and narrow) but from the mighty Sainsburys - well I'm almost expecting John Lewis quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I run the risk of burning my hands because l use tea towels in the correct British manner. Nevertheless I have become extremely vexed because of this continuous European meddling in my life even though I am unable to think of a single way in which my life has been negatively affected by the EU. Currently I am furious because I cannot name any examples but I know they are out there. I am considering buying some sub standard oven gloves and wearing them all day in defiance of Merkel and her jackbooted Euro troopers. What is this 1939 all over again?! I have recently been trawling second hand electrical shops looking for a monster power hoover again in defiance of Robespierre and the Sans Culotte terror threatening our very existence. Readers will be pleased and relieved to know I am now the proud owner of a 1967 made British Aero Distributors Trafalgar model industrial hoover. Apparently it has asbestos filters due to a tendency to overheat and wont fit through the internal doors of my house but when I start it up in the street the neighbours wave the Victory sign at me and like a neighbourhood watch of latter day Churchills we (I) stand as a thin red line against the wave of underpowered carpet wreckers sent from Brussels to plague our homes. God knows what next from these heathens, they'll be telling me to take the carpet up in my bathroom next like a bloody eyetie.

We had to change our 25 year old cast iron dependable gas chugging boiler last year as it was apparently causing as much pollution as the entire industrial output of the Chinese, according to Suffolk Coastal District Council, anyways.

The good news is that our new boiler is highly efficient and only needs replacing every five years (that's as long as some last, I'm told) at a cost of 4 grand all-in - now that's what I call efficient and cost effective - as long as it ticks the EU émissions box, though, that's OK then.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    purdis said:

I run the risk of burning my hands because l use tea towels in the correct British manner. Nevertheless I have become extremely vexed because of this continuous European meddling in my life even though I am unable to think of a single way in which my life has been negatively affected by the EU. Currently I am furious because I cannot name any examples but I know they are out there. I am considering buying some sub standard oven gloves and wearing them all day in defiance of Merkel and her jackbooted Euro troopers. What is this 1939 all over again?! I have recently been trawling second hand electrical shops looking for a monster power hoover again in defiance of Robespierre and the Sans Culotte terror threatening our very existence. Readers will be pleased and relieved to know I am now the proud owner of a 1967 made British Aero Distributors Trafalgar model industrial hoover. Apparently it has asbestos filters due to a tendency to overheat and wont fit through the internal doors of my house but when I start it up in the street the neighbours wave the Victory sign at me and like a neighbourhood watch of latter day Churchills we (I) stand as a thin red line against the wave of underpowered carpet wreckers sent from Brussels to plague our homes. God knows what next from these heathens, they'll be telling me to take the carpet up in my bathroom next like a bloody eyetie.

We had to change our 25 year old cast iron dependable gas chugging boiler last year as it was apparently causing as much pollution as the entire industrial output of the Chinese, according to Suffolk Coastal District Council, anyways.

The good news is that our new boiler is highly efficient and only needs replacing every five years (that's as long as some last, I'm told) at a cost of 4 grand all-in - now that's what I call efficient and cost effective - as long as it ticks the EU émissions box, though, that's OK then.
    Absolutely bloody disgraceful. If it wasn't enough for the stout yeoman of East Anglia to be threatened by the ever menacing waters of the German Sea. Hold fast Briton we are with you in your hour of need. I shall look in my garage for my mum's old paraffin heater and have it to you before you can say Jack Robinson. I also have a large drum full of paraffin kept in there against bloody Euro health and safety gauleiters' wishes. Me and the Bedford can have them to you in a jiffy. Time to start freshening up the Martello towers up your way my friend.
    Just a thought 4 thousand sterling for a boiler that last 5 years? Bloody Nora.
  • Options

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

Why are you asking me when I'm moving back to the UK?
    Something about a welcome home party at Dover I think
  • Options
    Oven gloves? I use a totally unregulated tea-towel and say 'take that' to The Man with every meal.
  • Options
    I must be the only one, on this thread, who has actually purchased Sainsbury's oven gloves recently. I am hoping we stay in Europe at least until I can obtain my refund.
  • Options

Oven gloves? I use a totally unregulated tea-towel and say 'take that' to The Man with every meal.

Hurrah! correct British behaviour. The tea towel I am using this morning is a souvenir (bloody frogs invading the language) I should say memento(bloody Latin, all left footers you know), I meant keepsake of the time we visited St. Leonard's. Spoilt by the number of foreign kids learning English but generally OK off season.
  • Options
    I've got Joy Division oven gloves.
    Never had a problem.
  • Options

You'll be put on the naughty step if you don't behave!
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I must be the only one, on this thread, who has actually purchased Sainsbury's oven gloves recently. I am hoping we stay in Europe at least until I can obtain my refund.

Assume your Mrs will be claiming the refund on your behalf as your fingers and hands are still recovering from the burns incurred when last using said sub-standard gloves?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

purdis said:

Absolutely bloody disgraceful. If it wasn't enough for the stout yeoman of East Anglia to be threatened by the ever menacing waters of the German Sea. Hold fast Briton we are with you in your hour of need. I shall look in my garage for my mum's old paraffin heater and have it to you before you can say Jack Robinson. I also have a large drum full of paraffin kept in there against bloody Euro health and safety gauleiters' wishes. Me and the Bedford can have them to you in a jiffy. Time to start freshening up the Martello towers up your way my friend.
    Just a thought 4 thousand sterling for a boiler that last 5 years? Bloody Nora.
    Big boiler (no, not the Mrs), whole system upgraded and rads flushed plus plumbers are a scarce commodity out in the country - unlike the cities where a good Polish or Lithuanian craftsman is always at hand.