Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sainsbury's Oven Gloves

Comments

• Options
    purdis said:

johnny73 said:

I must be the only one, on this thread, who has actually purchased Sainsbury's oven gloves recently. I am hoping we stay in Europe at least until I can obtain my refund.

Assume your Mrs will be claiming the refund on your behalf as your fingers and hands are still recovering from the burns incurred when last using said sub-standard gloves?
    I'll get back to you later. I'm on the phone to ambulancechasersRus. The wife is in the kitchen using the fancy new oven gloves I've bought her. She's baking a cake!
  • Options
    The Work Time Directive is European law. Opt out of Europe and paid annual leave, rest breaks and other general time off work could be a thing of the past. Sod the fecking oven gloves!
  • Options

I'll get back to you later. I'm on the phone to ambulancechasersRus. The wife is in the kitchen using the fancy new oven gloves I've bought her. She's baking a cake!

Hope shes made enough for all of us.
  • Options
    Bloody Europe, interfering with inferior products... Shops should be able to sell safety products that dont work if they wish !
  • Options
    Halix said:

Hope shes made enough for all of us.

Unfortunately my wife is to cooking what Karel Fraeye is to football management. Even if the gloves were safe she would find a way to prove they were not. Good thing I love her!
  • Options

The Work Time Directive is European law. Opt out of Europe and paid annual leave, rest breaks and other general time off work could be a thing of the past. Sod the fecking oven gloves!

The oven gloves thread was to highlight pettiness in a world where much more serious problems need addressing - was looking for a bit of light-hearted dialogue/banter.

It will fizzle out soon enough and no offence was intended.

Off the The Valley now, via daughter's at Forest Gate - been summoned to clean some windows, "Because you're good at it, Dad" - lol.

For the record, I support staying in Europe - my company trades with many EU countries and they have become business partners - just want to see us recover our own right to change laws on our own territory - do not want a Federal Europe, which is where we are heading.

Petty bureaucracy and political correctness have increased exponentially with our longevity of membership in the EU.

For those employed by the EU to drive these petty bureaucracies and make us even more anal - get a proper job like the rest of us.

L8rs.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Jeez, I feel like I've gone mad. I've had to look it up now!
    Some of our best consumer protection legislation is only in place because of the EU. They are asking that oven gloves should be able to cope with 200 centigrade. The temperature that a lot of stuff is cooked at. What's wrong with that? If it stops Sainsbury's and others selling cheap rubbish that is not fit for purpose, a sort of oven glove equivalent of Vaz Te, that's a good thing isn't it?
    For the record I rather stupidly bought some silicon oven mitts. They are totally useless and provide very little protection. So this legislation is to be applauded IMO.

Like most sainburys tat, probably made in China.
    Strange people would be opposed to the eu having a go at removing crap from the shelves.
  • Options
    Rumour has it that complaints have also been flooding in to European Union for Human Rights from the Norfolk area concerning the lack of digits on normal gloves.
  • Options
    I wonder what Len thinks ? ;0)
  • Options
    We have black and white oven gloves to keep up the protest at meal times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Solidgone said:

Rumour has it that complaints have also been flooding in to European Union for Human Rights from the Norfolk area concerning the lack of digits on normal gloves.

And when are they going to do something about the scandalous undersupply of shoes that can accommodate a normally webbed foot. Vote Leave!
  • Options
    I'd like to know who had a hand in it
  • Options
    purdis said:

The oven gloves thread was to highlight pettiness in a world where much more serious problems need addressing - was looking for a bit of light-hearted dialogue/banter.

Off the The Valley now, via daughter's at Forest Gate - been summoned to clean some windows, "Because you're good at it, Dad" - lol.

For the record, I support staying in Europe - my company trades with many EU countries and they have become business partners - just want to see us recover our own right to change laws on our own territory - do not want a Federal Europe, which is where we are heading.

Petty bureaucracy and political correctness have increased exponentially with our longevity of membership in the EU.

For those employed by the EU to drive these petty bureaucracies and make us even more anal - get a proper job like the rest of us.

L8rs.
    Quite a lot of use of terms like "petty bureacracy", "jobsworths", "political correctness", "federal", "dictated", etc in your posts.

You are of course ignoring the fact that the UK plays a leading role in developing those "petty" rules rather than waiting around for some faceless Belgian sitting in Brussels to impose them on us against our will. I deal with the affects of EU wide directives every day of my working life and there is no doubt that the quality and effectiveness of Europe wide legislation is leap years ahead of the (far more proscriptive btw) national legislation that we had 25 years ago.

Who told you you had to replace your boiler out of interest?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

"Grandad what did you do when the Russian tanks flattened Berlin?"

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    Why do you think it's only a British thing wanting out of Europe?
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

When are you moving back to the UK?
    Why are you asking me when I'm moving back to the UK?
    Something about a welcome home party at Dover I think
    Great, fuckin love a good party me. I'll be coming through Folkestone next Thursday, or up the Lib on Saturday
  • Options

purdis said:

L8rs.
    Quite a lot of use of terms like "petty bureacracy", "jobsworths", "political correctness", "federal", "dictated", etc in your posts.

You are of course ignoring the fact that the UK plays a leading role in developing those "petty" rules rather than waiting around for some faceless Belgian sitting in Brussels to impose them on us against our will. I deal with the affects of EU wide directives every day of my working life and there is no doubt that the quality and effectiveness of Europe wide legislation is leap years ahead of the (far more proscriptive btw) national legislation that we had 25 years ago.

The boiler was very old, inefficient and needed a service and overhaul (sounds a bit like me, tbh) - the plumber, who has done lots of work for us over a period suggested we upgrade to a more efficient, modern boiler as that would tick boxes when we come to sell.

As for the EU/UK PC/petty bureaucracy finger pointing - you may well be right, likely so since you are in the forefront but whomever is behind it, it's dragging us down into a negative vortex.

John Cleese was bang on the money this week with his comments on political correctness having gone too far - even though that was aimed at America it can be increasingly applied here.

Petty bureaucracy, political correctness and jobsworths play an ever-increasing and unfortunate part of our society. Also known as 'jobs for the boys', we have developed a society where we look to create jobs where jobs are not needed.

Ironically, we are currently creating fuller employment in our UK businesses & industry by being efficient, productive and competitive and creating a need for real jobs rather than fabricated jobs.

• Options
    shine166 said:

Bloody Europe, interfering with inferior products... Shops should be able to sell safety products that dont work if they wish !

The point for a lot of people is that we already have our own legal system to deal with these issues, we don't need to give up our sovereignty to have the same protection.

purdis said:

L8rs.

Current legislation is leap years ahead of law that is 25 years old? Wow.
  • Options
    Whilst some quick work with a tea towel and a good old sense of British stoisism will probably suffice for the majority, there are people out there with neurological conditions which mean they can feel neither heat nor pain. These people need to be protected from potential damaging effects of substandard products, even if the rest of us don't.

It is absolutely right the the EU sets out standards which should be adhered to and, frankly, quite baffling that anyone would argue against this. It's funny that you never hear anyone arguing against the British kite-mark scheme.
  • Options
    I got a pair of Charlton oven gloves for Christmas a few years ago. Apart from being a present I didn't remotely want (sorry Mrs Crookester), they were so crap you had to get things out of the oven and put them down inside 3 seconds to avoid the heat coming through. The worst thing is they were pre-RD so I cant even blame the Belgians.....Booooooooooo.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

shine166 said:

The point for a lot of people is that we already have our own legal system to deal with these issues, we don't need to give up our sovereignty to have the same protection.

purdis said:

L8rs.

No, the point is it makes entirely good sense to have the same standards across a large trading block. Otherwise manufacturers would have huge cost issues making stuff to different standards if they wanted to sell their products to export markets.

On that basis, it is clear that even if we opted out of the EU, our manufacturing industry would still have to comply with European standards if it wanted to continue to sell in the EU. The difference would be that we would no longer have a say in what those standards would be in the way that we do now.
  • Options

I got a pair of Charlton oven gloves for Christmas a few years ago. Apart from being a present I didn't remotely want (sorry Mrs Crookester), they were so crap you had to get things out of the oven and put them down inside 3 seconds to avoid the heat coming through. The worst thing is they were pre-RD so I cant even blame the Belgians.....Booooooooooo.

Should have returned them and got your money back, totally possible under current UK law.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

It's funny that you never hear anyone arguing against the British kite-mark scheme.

Perhaps because the kite mark is adopted voluntarily by businesses and they are specific to the product. Brussels devises compulsory rules that in many cases are generic, and have to be applied without exception in all cases even where it adds no value or reduces consumer choice.
  • Options

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

Great, fuckin love a good party me. I'll be coming through Folkestone next Thursday, or up the Lib on Saturday

Yes, but when are you coming back to the UK permanently? Or put it another way, how long do you think the French will give you to pack your bags, after we vote for Brexit?

• Options
    The tea towel is turning into a contemporary retort to the EU in the same way the English archers stuck two fingers up at the French knights at Agincourt. Epic...
  • Options

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

Yes, but when are you coming back to the UK permanently? Or put it another way, how long do you think the French will give you to pack your bags, after we vote for Brexit?

Last time I checked China is not in the EU, yet my passport would suggest I can live here.

I've also seen nothing to suggest we will ne kicking EU residebts out, why would France.
  • Options

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

Last time I checked China is not in the EU, yet my passport would suggest I can live here.

I've also seen nothing to suggest we will ne kicking EU residebts out, why would France.
    Why should they allow him the same rights as an EU citizen? What would be in it for them?

If you join a members club, and then slag it off for a few years before failing to renew your membership, do you think they will just still smile and welcome you through the door?

• Options
    Actually I do love the way some Brits take advantage of the possibility to live in France , and without a hint of irony campaign to leave the EU. I'm not talking about our Rob, but rather this bloke, who is currently leading one of the Brexit campaigns. I particularly enjoyed this little gem.

During the United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal, it was revealed that Lawson managed to claim £16,000 in overnight allowances by registering his farmhouse in Gascony as his main residence.[27]

What i want to know is this, is Lawson actually still registered to vote in the referendum? If so, how come? When did you stop being ordinarily resident in the UK, Nige? When did you start claiming those allowances? Hmmm??
  • Options

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

Why should they allow him the same rights as an EU citizen? What would be in it for them?

If you join a members club, and then slag it off for a few years before failing to renew your membership, do you think they will just still smile and welcome you through the door?

Why do we accept people from India, China or any other non EU countries?

All countries have immigration needs, no country will be closing it doors to all Brits, they may start being a little more fussy over who they accept, that's no bad thing, imo.
  • Options
    All this doom and gloom spread about the prospect of leaving - all to stay in a declining trade bloc.

People do realise that the vast majority of countries function perfectly well outside the EU?

Actually I do love the way some Brits take advantage of the possibility to live in France , and without a hint of irony campaign to leave the EU. I'm not talking about our Rob, but rather this bloke, who is currently leading one of the Brexit campaigns. I particularly enjoyed this little gem.

During the United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal, it was revealed that Lawson managed to claim £16,000 in overnight allowances by registering his farmhouse in Gascony as his main residence.[27]

What i want to know is this, is Lawson actually still registered to vote in the referendum? If so, how come? When did you stop being ordinarily resident in the UK, Nige? When did you start claiming those allowances? Hmmm??

I didn't realise nobody could live in a different country without being in the EU. All those Brits who live in Australia are all part of a big cover-up
  • Options

shine166 said:

purdis said:

L8rs.

Well they are obviously not good enough
  • Options
    edited February 2016

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

I don't.

Yeah, I know what he was getting at mate, thanks.

So you really think that every British expat living throughout Europe would be made to instantly leave the country of residence and return in the event of the UK leaving the EU? Well if this was the case, I'd be happy to sell up and return on a permanent basis as long as the jobless sponging migrants over there were made to instantly do the same and leave the UK.