Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sainsbury's Oven Gloves

Comments

• Options
    .....I'd wait to see what the French wanted me to do to qualify to live here and if I didn't meet their requirements, off I'd go.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Stig said:

Whilst some quick work with a tea towel and a good old sense of British stoisism will probably suffice for the majority, there are people out there with neurological conditions which mean they can feel neither heat nor pain. These people need to be protected from potential damaging effects of substandard products, even if the rest of us don't.

It is absolutely right the the EU sets out standards which should be adhered to and, frankly, quite baffling that anyone would argue against this. It's funny that you never hear anyone arguing against the British kite-mark scheme.

Thank you for the ticking off.

Point taken but a point has been missed here in that Sainsbury's, being a well respected and highly professional company, will have ordered these gloves to a standard - I can pretty much guarantee it.

Somewhere along the line that standard has been breached in the supply chain or the product batch was faulty - the good news is that when they realised there may be an issue they acted upon it and removed the product from sale.

Sainsbury's will have sold thousands and thousands of oven gloves over a period of many years to satisfied customers as the product will have been up to spec. and fit for purpose.

No business likes bad press, especially in FMCG and with the current competitive climate - Sainsbury's appear to have done the right thing to protect both their customers and their reputation.

Finally, please lighten up - it was meant to evoke a bit of banter and I was simply trying to highlight a fairly petty story raised in the media when there are so many major catastrophes going on in our world on a real time basis.

• Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Bloody Europe, interfering with inferior products... Shops should be able to sell safety products that dont work if they wish !

The point for a lot of people is that we already have our own legal system to deal with these issues, we don't need to give up our sovereignty to have the same protection.

purdis said:

The Work Time Directive is European law. Opt out of Europe and paid annual leave, rest breaks and other general time off work could be a thing of the past. Sod the fecking oven gloves!

The oven gloves thread was to highlight pettiness in a world where much more serious problems need addressing - was looking for a bit of light-hearted dialogue/banter.

It will fizzle out soon enough and no offence was intended.

Off the The Valley now, via daughter's at Forest Gate - been summoned to clean some windows, "Because you're good at it, Dad" - lol.

For the record, I support staying in Europe - my company trades with many EU countries and they have become business partners - just want to see us recover our own right to change laws on our own territory - do not want a Federal Europe, which is where we are heading.

Petty bureaucracy and political correctness have increased exponentially with our longevity of membership in the EU.

For those employed by the EU to drive these petty bureaucracies and make us even more anal - get a proper job like the rest of us.

L8rs.
    Quite a lot of use of terms like "petty bureacracy", "jobsworths", "political correctness", "federal", "dictated", etc in your posts.

You are of course ignoring the fact that the UK plays a leading role in developing those "petty" rules rather than waiting around for some faceless Belgian sitting in Brussels to impose them on us against our will. I deal with the affects of EU wide directives every day of my working life and there is no doubt that the quality and effectiveness of Europe wide legislation is leap years ahead of the (far more proscriptive btw) national legislation that we had 25 years ago.

Who told you you had to replace your boiler out of interest?
    Current legislation is leap years ahead of law that is 25 years old? Wow.
    Well they are obviously not good enough
    They are, those gloves could have been returned under uk law.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Abstract fact of the day (albeit I realise this thread was started y'day). An EU regulation is binding in all EU countries as a legal act, whereas a directive is a legal act setting out a goal for all EU countries, but it is up to the individual countries how they choose to enforce them.

There are other examples of EU governance, such as opinions, decisions and recommendations, but the fact of the day must be short, sharp and concise to maximise impact. Join me again 2mo for fact of the day
  • Options
    Id just like to add that Sainsburys saucepans are shit as well.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Now that's the banter I was looking for - made me chuckle, thank you.
  • Options

.....I'd wait to see what the French wanted me to do to qualify to live here and if I didn't meet their requirements, off I'd go.

Well that seems pretty sensible to me. What i don't get is that you presumably like living there, like the half a million other Brits with a place there, so i can't understand why you'd vote to throw it all away and piss off your hosts.

• Options

Well that seems pretty sensible to me. What i don't get is that you presumably like living there, like the half a million other Brits with a place there, so i can't understand why you'd vote to throw it all away and piss off your hosts.

Like yourself and Rob I spend a fair bit of time in Europe and I can categorically say that at no point has anyone I've met on my travels painted the picture you have.

I get that people are unsure about a lot of things but sensationalist scaremongering, from both sides I hasten to add, will get us nowhere.

Why do you think European countries would look to kick out the tax paying Britons living there if they're law abiding, but anti EU (in the closer political union sense, seeing as the union has been trying to morph in to something it was never intended to be.....or at least something that the voting public at the time weren't told about)? Many Europeans share our views but have been fed so much rhetoric about it being a disaster to leave (mainly by those with their snouts firmly in the troughs) that they're now genuinely unsure of the consequences.

If we were to leave, and using your logic, would we be well within our rights to kick out all Europeans due to the EU not sharing our views?

• Options

I'm sure the French government wouldn't blame me personally if the UK left.

But why do you think the French would be pissed off if the UK left the EU? And why do you think that the French themselves, want to continue being part of the EU?

Just to add; I know what you're getting at by quoting the amount of Brits living out here, but I don't see why folk can't continue to live in foreign European (The continent) countries if their own Country have left, as long as one meets the requirements to do so. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway seem to do okay and their nationals are free to live and work where they like throughout Europe (The continent) after jumping through a few hoops.
  • Options
    Hilarious. If you are a Pole or a Romanian coming to Britain, you are an economic migrant. Or a sponger.

But if you are a Brit in France, oh no, you are completely different. An "expat", I suppose.

I don't suggest they will immediately kick you out. But whether and on what terms you are allowed to stay, will be entirely up to them, unlike now.

And the juicy irony is that the very French who are themselves anti the EU in the way you guys are, (le Pen's mob) are the ones most likely to want you out if they get into power.

The only reason I can sound smug about it, is that my wife is Czech. I can stay on that basis, and can become a citizen if I wish (I might well do that, now the Czechs allow dual). Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you. And we really don't want to be at the mercy of either French or Czech bureaucrats, trust me on that.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Hilarious. If you are a Pole or a Romanian coming to Britain, you are an economic migrant. Or a sponger.

But if you are a Brit in France, oh no, you are completely different. An "expat", I suppose.

I don't suggest they will immediately kick you out. But whether and on what terms you are allowed to stay, will be entirely up to them, unlike now.

And the juicy irony is that the very French who are themselves anti the EU in the way you guys are, (le Pen's mob) are the ones most likely to want you out if they get into power.

The only reason I can sound smug about it, is that my wife is Czech. I can stay on that basis, and can become a citizen if I wish (I might well do that, now the Czechs allow dual). Otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you. And we really don't want to be at the mercy of either French or Czech bureaucrats, trust me on that.

Who said that?
  • Options

I don't suggest they will immediately kick you out. But whether and on what terms you are allowed to stay, will be entirely up to them, unlike now. Yeah, that's what I said

And the juicy irony is that the very French who are themselves anti the EU in the way you guys are, (le Pen's mob) are the ones most likely to want you out if they get into power. So, the only French folk wanting to get out of Europe are the far right

• Options

se9addick said:

IA said:

IA said:

British withdrawal from the EU will in all likelihood lead to a war in Eastern Europe and all that they offer us to keep us in are some meaningless integration guarantees and an unworkable migrant brake. Before today I could still forgive our misguided European friends but after this oven glove fiasco, fuck em. Let the Russian tanks roll all the way to Berlin for all I care.

"Grandad what did you do when the Russian tanks flattened Berlin?"

'I burnt my hands taking a pizza out because I had crappy oven gloves that caught fire. But that's my right as I'm British.'
    Why do you think it's only a British thing wanting out of Europe?
    I don't.

I think it's an unusually British thing to obsess about regulations ensuring that oven gloves are safe to use.

When are you moving back to the UK?
    Why are you asking me when I'm moving back to the UK?
    Something about a welcome home party at Dover I think
    Great, fuckin love a good party me. I'll be coming through Folkestone next Thursday, or up the Lib on Saturday

Yes, but when are you coming back to the UK permanently? Or put it another way, how long do you think the French will give you to pack your bags, after we vote for Brexit?

Yeah, I know what he was getting at mate, thanks.

So you really think that every British expat living throughout Europe would be made to instantly leave the country of residence and return in the event of the UK leaving the EU? Well if this was the case, I'd be happy to sell up and return on a permanent basis as long as the jobless sponging migrants over there were made to instantly do the same and leave the UK.
    Oh god no. Best "vote to stay in" reason I can think of.
  • Options
    I'd sooner be at the mercy of French bureaucrats than live in the Slovak gypsy gheto that is Peacock Street, Gravesend, trust me on that.
  • Options
    Tesco oven gloves are pretty good(just saying).
  • Options

Who said that?
    Just about anyone who supports UKIP, in my experience. Delighted if you tell me you are an exception.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I have a very nice wok that I bought from sainsburys.
  • Options

Right, with a comment like that the gloves are off. :-)

No more Mr Nice Guy.

Everyone knows these are the daddies.
    Kuhn Rikon Silicone Grip Oven Glove: £7.95, kitchenscookshop.co.uk
  • Options

Who said that?
    Just about anyone who supports UKIP, in my experience. Delighted if you tell me you are an exception.
    I do think that folk moving between the likes of the UK, France, Italy, Holland etc can be accommodated a lot better than people who come from the likes of Romania and Bulgaria, simply because they will work for a lot less money and quadruple up in rented one bed flats when the other people in that country are paying mortgages and true rent amounts etc and so cannot compete for the same jobs. I've seen blokes who work in the building trades affected by this lose everything, houses, families and so on because of this very reason.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

I have a very nice wok that I bought from sainsburys.
    I'm happy for you. But their lifetime guarantee saucepans beg the question "whose lifetime?". I would suggest a mayfly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They lose their families? Are Romanians buying them?
  • Options

They lose their families? Are Romanians buying them?

I'd love for you to say that to the fella I'm thinking about, he'd probably rip your throat out
  • Options
    It's very easy to lose your family when your business fails, stress and strain of running your own business causes so much pain in a household that people sometimes do stupid things that you can't recover from,

It's not a subject to mock really
  • Options

Who said that?
    I do think that folk moving between the likes of the UK, France, Italy, Holland etc can be accommodated a lot better than people who come from the likes of Romania and Bulgaria, simply because they will work for a lot less money and quadruple up in rented one bed flats when the other people in that country are paying mortgages and true rent amounts etc and so cannot compete for the same jobs. I've seen blokes who work in the building trades affected by this lose everything, houses, families and so on because of this very reason.
    Spot on, seen this happen myself
  • Options
    When you run your own business it's the most stressed and pressured you will find away from a loved one being seriously ill,

I'd not swap with anyone a day in my shoes when we are flying high, but when the timea get tough I'd hand them over without question
  • Options
    We need to know if Sainsbury's export oven gloves to Europe before we take this debate any further.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Bloody Europe, interfering with inferior products... Shops should be able to sell safety products that dont work if they wish !

The point for a lot of people is that we already have our own legal system to deal with these issues, we don't need to give up our sovereignty to have the same protection.

purdis said:

The Work Time Directive is European law. Opt out of Europe and paid annual leave, rest breaks and other general time off work could be a thing of the past. Sod the fecking oven gloves!

The oven gloves thread was to highlight pettiness in a world where much more serious problems need addressing - was looking for a bit of light-hearted dialogue/banter.

It will fizzle out soon enough and no offence was intended.

Off the The Valley now, via daughter's at Forest Gate - been summoned to clean some windows, "Because you're good at it, Dad" - lol.

For the record, I support staying in Europe - my company trades with many EU countries and they have become business partners - just want to see us recover our own right to change laws on our own territory - do not want a Federal Europe, which is where we are heading.

Petty bureaucracy and political correctness have increased exponentially with our longevity of membership in the EU.

For those employed by the EU to drive these petty bureaucracies and make us even more anal - get a proper job like the rest of us.

L8rs.
    Quite a lot of use of terms like "petty bureacracy", "jobsworths", "political correctness", "federal", "dictated", etc in your posts.

You are of course ignoring the fact that the UK plays a leading role in developing those "petty" rules rather than waiting around for some faceless Belgian sitting in Brussels to impose them on us against our will. I deal with the affects of EU wide directives every day of my working life and there is no doubt that the quality and effectiveness of Europe wide legislation is leap years ahead of the (far more proscriptive btw) national legislation that we had 25 years ago.

Who told you you had to replace your boiler out of interest?
    Current legislation is leap years ahead of law that is 25 years old? Wow.
    Well they are obviously not good enough
    They are, those gloves could have been returned under uk law.
    This is the second time you've mentioned this. Just to clarify, the Consumer Rights Act to which you are referring was the UK implementation of the EU Consumer Rights Directive i.e a fundamental review of two separate pieces of UK legislation around faulty goods and services (and plenty more also) that dated back to the late 1970's, early 80's.

I think all of us can agree that laws that predate the age of home computing, as one small example, might not be quite as fit for purpose as they could be.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that, as consumers, we are far better served by being in the EU.

• Options

So are Sainsbury's, most of the time.
  • Options
    Does no one remember this? We are quite capable of having our own safety rules.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Does no one remember this? We are quite capable of having our own safety rules.

Except that they are not safety rules. As explained above they are voluntary standards.