Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton post match views 2015/2016

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016
    uie2 said:

I would seriously play this side v Reading if I was Riga! A 442

Hendo
    Solly. Tex. Johnson. Suk Young

Fanni

Ba
    Motta. Gudmundsson

Big Mac
    Lookman
    With a bench looking like
    Reza,Harriott, Igor (if fit), Sarr, Pope, Poyet, Kennedy

Broadly a 6-2-2 line up...at home.....not defensive enough.....
    I'd still worry for us at corners-I hear Reading have this feller who's pretty useful with his head EVEN AT HIS AGE NOW.....
  • Options
    Apart from a bit of abysmal defending it seems like we actually didn't play too bad and on another day could have got the 3 points. A glimmer of hope there then????

Like I've said elsewhere, getting Diara and Igor back would be huge. Not sure when that's happening though. It's the hope that kills you so I'm not going there. We're down.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Shrew said:

Since supporting Charlton from about 1967 I've witnessed some awful games and dire Charlton teams,this was not one of them. The line up was mystifying, but like the rest of the hardened, bit cynical but still strangely optimistic Charlton fans was there to support the team. I was sat in front of the lovely old lady who knew how to shout and get behind the team for the whole game.

I was surprised by how much possession we had and how well we was passing the ball around. Preston seemed to be giving us tons of space and didn't look up for a fight. Mak was winning most balls, I think with a fit Igor we would of scored a few in the first half. Lookman is full of energy but at the moment hasn't the body strength needed and gets frustrated to easy.
    The PNE goal came as a bit of a surprise and sadly to our defence as well. Bloody corners. But a good goal from JBG kept positive spirits going in the away end. Motta looks like a class player, good positioning and physical strength, Texiara was a huge presence and dealing with most balls coming into the box, Johnson was ok but a bit of a liability, overly physical and giving away free kicks. Solly was working hard maybe a bit too hard trying to be everywhere and chasing the ball a bit, like a right back in midfield I guess.

Corners our undoing in the 2nd half, we manage to concede from a counter attack from one of our own badly taken corners, We manage to go down to ten men from another one of our corners. Ba, for probably a completely knackered Solly added a bit more drive into midfield. The appearance of Fanni gave something for the home supporters to laugh about. We came close a few times, but lacked the killer instinct that Igor might of given us. A brief appearance by Sanago saw at last we had someone who could make well timed runs to latch onto balls from Mak, but too little to late. Team clapped of by the travelling faithful, felt positive driving home. fuck knows why, guess its called being a Charlton supporter.

That's more like it a mostly positive match report from a loyal travelling fan. Well done and thankyou for giving us a brighter outlook from a defeat we seemed to do quite well in! It's coming along me thinks we will surprise alot of peeps and put a run together! Just watch
    Christ, we're hitting new lows celebrating a better possession and slick passing in a 2-1 loss to PNE. Preston didn't fully turn up and they didn't need to, they done their job which was win the game, which is essentially all teams want at the end of the day; 3 points. Them letting us have some ball was probably a tactic, if one of the better teams of this league fancied passing us out the match they most definitely could.
  • Options

" 500 miles have I travelled, to Preston & back

£200 lighter but good night in the sack (?) ( reference to the wonderful beds in Premier Inns!)

Alas, still no points but at least scored a goal

And for dinner tonight we had toad in the hole "

I know...don't give up the day job.

Yes, home at last from the chilly north west, with a slightly lighter heart than when we left here yesterday morning.

Following a really nice meal & the usual pre match tipple with a dear friend , we made our way to Deepdale at the last minute by taxi ....those large glasses up north severely impair the senses. I could swear that clock had stopped !

We managed to find some seats on the stroke of 7.45 but took some minutes before the make up of our team could be unravelled. Delighted to see young Jordan back & felt he made a significant difference until he sadly picked up another knock. Another plus was that Guddy seemed sharper & had more urgency than of late. Preston seemed a well organised side that looked as though they knew each other's game very well. By the time that Fanni & Sanogo entered the fray, I doubted whether our lads even knew each others' names !

So, no waiting until the 44th minute for a goal this time. Instead, we appear to be swapping that cliché for " Oh no ! It's a corner !" Mind you, the same could be said of OUR corners ....neither Guddy nor Lookie exactly nailed one last night. But, lo & behold, we struck back before half time & there was a glimmer of something in the away end at half time although hope is a word we're frightened to use this season.

And it wasn't long before Preston finished the job and despite some decent football & chances created by our lads, Lennon's red card was the ultimate blow. There were definite signs of more commitment from the Reds and on the whole it was a better performance than that we saw at Fulham. It's clear that Jose has made a difference but the new arrivals should have been added to the squad weeks ago & bedded in by now as opposed to still finding their feet. IMHO we need what other teams around us have - a settled team - but with Jordan now injured again and Harry out for 3 matches, changes will be forced on the manager once again. Thanks to M.Duchatelet, it's likely to be too little too late to save us from relegation.....

We took a bus back to the hotel & spoke to several Preston fans en route. They were quick to tell us that Charlton wasn't the worst team they'd seen at Deepdale this term which is quite a feat considering the number of players AND managers we've had since August. Little consolation though especially on a night when other results were in our favour. This is a season that will be remembered as the "If only " one.

If only we could defend corners.

If only we had a fit, prolific striker ( or two).

If only KF had never set foot in The Valley.

If only Roland had turned his attention to a Club in SE16.

Thanks Fanny. I look forward to reading the comments from anyone at the game but yours is one I cannot do without.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    If only KF had never set foot in the Valley... thats the big one for me, thats why we're in this mess.

Les Reed was a lovely bloke but we wasted a handful of matches by giving him the job, had Alan Pardew been hired sooner then without doubt we'd have survived in the Premier League that season I have no doubt!!

Karel Fraeye isnt a lovely bloke (Okay he might be) but we wasted three months by giving him some sort of job that no one knows... Had we signed Jose Riga or even the Serbian when Luzon was sacked then we'd still be in the mess but I reckon we'd be around Blackburn and Fulham in League
  • Options
    We needed Riga to stay on in the first season he joined, rather than moving him on.

EVERYTHING since has been shambolic.
  • Options

If only KF had never set foot in the Valley... thats the big one for me, thats why we're in this mess.

Les Reed was a lovely bloke but we wasted a handful of matches by giving him the job, had Alan Pardew been hired sooner then without doubt we'd have survived in the Premier League that season I have no doubt!!

Karel Fraeye isnt a lovely bloke (Okay he might be) but we wasted three months by giving him some sort of job that no one knows... Had we signed Jose Riga or even the Serbian when Luzon was sacked then we'd still be in the mess but I reckon we'd be around Blackburn and Fulham in League

Agree, if we had kept Luzon things wouldn't be brilliant but I think we would be around 10-15 points better off and just keeping ourselves out of trouble.
  • Options

I am with you on this. It should be noted that Les Reed has been IMMENSELY successful running the youth setup at Southampton, which is a good lesson that sometimes people with good football brains or insight don't make good coaches.

Reading through this thread, especially what's been written in the last day or so since the match, it really sounds like we played well, and just couldn't break a team down. If we were in 16th, or even in the thick of the relegation battle and not cut adrift, I suspect the attitude would be different, frustration, maybe annoyance at the fact that we missed out on picking up ground on those around us, but not the anger that seemed to come out after the match.

It sounds like the three at the back allow Tex to carry and play the ball out of defense, and it sounds like Lennon did some of this as well. I hope the formation is kept for Saturday, and that Sarr or Fanni are put in the third center half role, both are decent on the ball. For me, it might be a good time to reintroduce Naby Sarr. He's naturally left sided, and he'll have Roger Johnson next to him yelling him in to position, and will have both Johnson and Tex on the cover should he make mistakes.

Hopefully Young and Motta can start as wingbacks. I suspect Solly will be given another run out in central midfield if his ankle clears up. 3-5-2 also allows us to play with two center forwards with less risk of being overrun in midfield, as we have Johann who can drop deep and the center backs to cover in behind the midfielders.

It probably doesn't matter at this point, but it'd be nice to end the season with some dignity.
  • Options

£200 lighter but good night in the sack (?) ( reference to the wonderful beds in Premier Inns!)

Yes, home at last from the chilly north west, with a slightly lighter heart than when we left here yesterday morning.

Following a really nice meal & the usual pre match tipple with a dear friend , we made our way to Deepdale at the last minute by taxi ....those large glasses up north severely impair the senses. I could swear that clock had stopped !

We managed to find some seats on the stroke of 7.45 but took some minutes before the make up of our team could be unravelled. Delighted to see young Jordan back & felt he made a significant difference until he sadly picked up another knock. Another plus was that Guddy seemed sharper & had more urgency than of late. Preston seemed a well organised side that looked as though they knew each other's game very well. By the time that Fanni & Sanogo entered the fray, I doubted whether our lads even knew each others' names !

So, no waiting until the 44th minute for a goal this time. Instead, we appear to be swapping that cliché for " Oh no ! It's a corner !" Mind you, the same could be said of OUR corners ....neither Guddy nor Lookie exactly nailed one last night. But, lo & behold, we struck back before half time & there was a glimmer of something in the away end at half time although hope is a word we're frightened to use this season.

And it wasn't long before Preston finished the job and despite some decent football & chances created by our lads, Lennon's red card was the ultimate blow. There were definite signs of more commitment from the Reds and on the whole it was a better performance than that we saw at Fulham. It's clear that Jose has made a difference but the new arrivals should have been added to the squad weeks ago & bedded in by now as opposed to still finding their feet. IMHO we need what other teams around us have - a settled team - but with Jordan now injured again and Harry out for 3 matches, changes will be forced on the manager once again. Thanks to M.Duchatelet, it's likely to be too little too late to save us from relegation.....

We took a bus back to the hotel & spoke to several Preston fans en route. They were quick to tell us that Charlton wasn't the worst team they'd seen at Deepdale this term which is quite a feat considering the number of players AND managers we've had since August. Little consolation though especially on a night when other results were in our favour. This is a season that will be remembered as the "If only " one.

As usual a good report and I'm glad you were rewarded with a better performance if not the result we all wanted but with regard to the highlighted bit above has he? Results suggest otherwise. Yes we have stopped shipping goals at an alarming rate but instead we now can't defend set plays, especially corners, and we still can't score (Rotherham aside which is looking more like a 'freak' result with every passing game). He MAY have steadied the ship somewhat and so in that respect he has made a difference but if they had appointed you or I to replace Calamity Carol I'm sure even we could have had some impact.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I am with you on this. It should be noted that Les Reed has been IMMENSELY successful running the youth setup at Southampton, which is a good lesson that sometimes people with good football brains or insight don't make good coaches.
    In the same way I'm sure that Karel Fraeye has done really well getting Youth systems to work (i.e. Wasnt he Academy Manager @ Gent), the step up from that level is huge though and doesnt mean instant success

Another possible one (Although I really hope not) is Nathan Jones @ Luton who has only won two of his five games so far
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thanks Fanny. I look forward to reading the comments from anyone at the game but yours is one I cannot do without.
    Agreed. Can't do without Fanny.
  • Options

Agreed. Can't do without Fanny.
    So said the Preston "Gentleman" she got in the sack with it seems (and is now £200 better off) ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Those half time sweets in the green bag (mints?) looked alright @Fanny Fanackapan shame they never made it back a few rows. Not be outdone @Lincsaddick was kind enough to offer me one of his cough candies and very nice it was too :wink: .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Those half time sweets in the green bag (mints?) looked alright @Fanny Fanackapan shame they never made it back a few rows. Not be outdone @Lincsaddick was kind enough to offer me one of his cough candies and very nice it was too :wink: .

Sometimes this forum has so many potential new euphemisms it's a bit like listening to Round the Horne (currently on R4 Extra on Tuesdays - and just brilliant).
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

They used to be called "lucky humbugs", Red ....