Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer 2016

Yes, the other great sport is back in Spring Training.

Will the Cubs finally win something? Looking stronger than for a long time but can they get passed the Cardianals?

Yankees will have to go some to stop the Blue Jays and who knows what the Red Sox will do?

Astros and Diamond Backs both teams to look out for.

If you're not a fan just pick a team, it soon gets addictive what with 5 or 6 games a week

Comments

• Always had a soft spot for the Cubs because of their terrible run...

Although equally a fan of the Giants after seeing them at AT&T Park a few years ago
  • I've got tickets to the Reds@Nationals game in DC in July and am hoping to go to the Red Soxs@Yankees game in NYC in May.

My favourite team is probably the Mets but my knowledge of the sport is pretty limited.
  • DBacks adding Miller and Greinke could turn out to be astute business, but relying on Goldy far too much to score runs.
  • Is this rounders?
  • Give it a chance @i_b_b_o_r_g
    If you start watching it without prejudice, you might find you like it. I first started watching it nearly twenty years ago when Channel 5 showed a few games. I didn't plan to, I just had it on while I was doing some work late at night. It's not just the action that's enjoyable. It's the tactics, the stats, the terminology. All of it is just fascinating.
    Then again, you might be unlucky, see a poor game and think 'this is shit'. But give it a go. You never know.
    :smile:
  • Fuck me, in addition to supporting Charlton you support the Cubs as well? You don't like happiness or even mild enjoyment, do you?

I was born in Chicago, my dad grew up on the south side which is where the White Sox play (working class team), and was raised supporting the White Sox. Fell out of love with the game about ten years ago when steroids were rampant and it all felt a bit silly. Been sort of edging my way back into it in the last year or two.
  • Phillies are my team due to family out there. Never really got baseball until I went to a Phillies game last summer and loved it.

Poor season from them last year , not hopeful of much better this one.
  • se9addick said:

I've got tickets to the Reds@Nationals game in DC in July and am hoping to go to the Red Soxs@Yankees game in NYC in May.

My favourite team is probably the Mets but my knowledge of the sport is pretty limited.

Another Mets fan. That makes two of us. Sadly, I'm yet to see them play other than on the telly, but I do have a "Subway Series" t-shirt from the Mets-Yankess World Series a few years ago, kindly donated to me by a customer in NY. My only live games were the Giants against the Padres at Candlestick Park in 1990.
  • se9addick said:

I've got tickets to the Reds@Nationals game in DC in July and am hoping to go to the Red Soxs@Yankees game in NYC in May.

Another Mets fan. That makes two of us. Sadly, I'm yet to see them play other than on the telly, but I do have a "Subway Series" t-shirt from the Mets-Yankess World Series a few years ago, kindly donated to me by a customer in NY. My only live games were the Giants against the Padres at Candlestick Park in 1990.
    I saw the mets a couple of seasons ago at the new stadium, they were terrible, I've always liked an underdog so sort of stayed with them. Saying I "support" them might be a bit strong.
  • Red Sox invested in big names a year ago (and big frames in Sandovals case) and it didn't work. So the response was throw more cash at Price and Kimbrell. The pitching was weak so it will help (got some good bpen arms from the Mariners as well) but just worry that we need big bouncebacks from Han Ram and Panda to compete.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Fuck me, in addition to supporting Charlton you support the Cubs as well? You don't like happiness or even mild enjoyment, do you?

I was born in Chicago, my dad grew up on the south side which is where the White Sox play (working class team), and was raised supporting the White Sox. Fell out of love with the game about ten years ago when steroids were rampant and it all felt a bit silly. Been sort of edging my way back into it in the last year or two.

Certainly not! I'm a Cardinals fans.
  • Cubs? Nuff said.
    COYRedbirds
  • Red Sox invested in big names a year ago (and big frames in Sandovals case) and it didn't work. So the response was throw more cash at Price and Kimbrell. The pitching was weak so it will help (got some good bpen arms from the Mariners as well) but just worry that we need big bouncebacks from Han Ram and Panda to compete.

The panda won't bounceback (except maybe for second helpings!). His numbers had been on the slide for a few years before Boston signed him, big waste of money. If a professional athlete can't lay off the burritos he needs to have a long hard look at himself.
  • Season opener - Cards at Bucs (Waino v Liriano) tomorrow live on BT ESPN 6pm.
  • Surely it's the braves turn
  • It's the Cubs year. Been to Wrigley a few times, biggest open air bar in Chicago.
  • This season the Nats are out to win win win.
  • Opening Day for the Giants today, and it's first pitch at 7.10pm UK time so couldn't get much better for settling down in front of the TV when I get back from work tonight. Another even-year triumph for the boys from the Bay? Here's hoping!
  • Bloody love Baseball. It epitomises summer (as in the proper summer they get across the US).

My memories of night feeds with both my kids are letting them fall asleep in my arms with MLB tv to keep my company at 3am.

LGRS.
  • For some reason my enthusiasm for baseball wanes when it's snowing. In April.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not snowing here in Baltimore, just cold rain, feels a lot like London except it won't last for a month. Opening day game delayed unfortunately. Orioles predicted to finish last but hopeful of better than that, of course.
  • Jays all the way.
  • For some reason my enthusiasm for baseball wanes when it's snowing. In April.

My enthusiasm for getting up in the morning wanes when it's snowing in April.
  • limeygent said:

For some reason my enthusiasm for baseball wanes when it's snowing. In April.

My enthusiasm for getting up in the morning wanes when it's snowing in April.
    Not enough snow to get the snowblower out, but more than enough to give me an aching back. Beer earned.
  • edited April 2016
    limeygent said:

Not snowing here in Baltimore, just cold rain, feels a lot like London except it won't last for a month. Opening day game delayed unfortunately. Orioles predicted to finish last but hopeful of better than that, of course.

I went to what was then the "New Camden Yards" (probably just Camden Yards now) when I was 12 or 13. Very nice ballpark, excellent atmosphere.

An old friend of mine from high school is a diehard Mets fan, and following his ranting and ravings of the ups and downs on Twitter is incredibly amusing. Certainly an underdog's team. Best of luck.

I feel like I should try to care when every season starts, but given that the White Sox seem to have some dodgy goings on (in the Chicago tradition), it's hard to care.
  • It's an even year, we all know what happens in an even year...
  • Go Giants
  • Orioles 5 and 0, whole city is in shock.
  • The Oakland A's 4~3 Baltimore shock wont last!
  • pickwick said:

The Oakland A's 4~3 Baltimore shock wont last!

Boston next, so I'm sure you're right.