Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2016

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016

It's an even year, we all know what happens in an even year...

It`s an even year, so it must be the Giant's year.

I was a bit dissapointed when they sold the Panda, but it's starting to look like a piece of good business.

• Options

It's an even year, we all know what happens in an even year...

It`s an even year, so it must be the Giant's year.

I was a bit dissapointed when they sold the Panda, but it's starting to look like a piece of good business.

As a Red Sox fan, I can confirm you are definitely correct on the second part of your post.

He is such a fat bastard now that his belt is popping open when he is swinging and missing now.

Quite a sad decline really.
  • Options
    I think the Braves will be lucky to get 60 wins this year. The back office have completely given up on 2016 and have everything geared towards next Summer and the new stadium.
  • Options
    Texas Rangers for me . Only because a I took a game in a few years ago when I was there.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just bumping this as an old Baseball thread seems to have been resurrected!

Interesting so far with some strong starts:
    Orioles in AL East (7-1)
    Nats in NL East (6-1)
    Cubs in NL Central (7-1)
    And some terrible starts:
    Twins in AL Central (0-8)
    Braves in NL East (0-8)

My team, the Red Sox having a so-so start (4-4), but glad to see they broke the Orioles perfect start last night.

At the end of the day though, there's a looooooong long way to go.........
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Our start sums us up really. Brilliant offense balanced out against rubbish starting pitching.

Rodriguez needs to get back in a hurry. The bullpen (especially when Smith is back) combined with Kimbrel is lights out potential. But no good if they keep getting asked to pitch from inning 4 through 9.
  • Options

You mean THE baseball thread? This is a Charlton message board, I thought we didn't like change?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

You mean THE baseball thread? This is a Charlton message board, I thought we didn't like change?
    Haha!
    I think you'll find that between us baseball fans we have been providing a new thread at the beginning of every season! If we were to stop now, that would be a big change.......,,,and we don't like change!

:wink:
  • Options
    My Dodgers have got off to a decent 6-4 start but seeing that this is an even year I dare say the Giants will do us again in the playoffs if we both get there. Overall I think it might just be the year the Cubs finally break the curse and win it all after 108 long years wait. They have the right man in charge and the talent to go very close. Would love to see them do it if the Dodgers fail.
  • Options
    The 2 biggest ingrates currently in MLB return to St Louis tonight. Lackey on the mound.
    COY REDBIRDS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big bat rounders.

Just shaded out in terms of sports not to waste my time watching by basketball.

• Options

Big bat rounders.

Cool story bro.
  • Options

Big bat rounders.

Boys netball.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Cubs take the opener but closer than the 5-0 scoreline suggests.
    Amusing to see Heyward as poor at the plate as he was early last season, before the Cards batting coaches sorted him out.
    With the Reds looking competitive and the Cubs a force, the NL Central's an even stronger division than last year when it supplied the 3 best Regular Season records in MLB and, of course, both NL wilds cards.
    Hard to win the World Series for any of them after what will be (again) a long, bruising summer.
    Gonna be a cracking though.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Holy Cow. Anyome just see that catch by left fielder Carrera of the Blue Jays?
    Un-firkin-believable.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    David Ortiz is still the King of Clutch and he ain't losing the title any time soon. Two nights in a row and another home run after his go ahead broke a tie last night. Rumours already abound that he may postpone retirement.

As for the Sox....only April but been plesantly surprised by the pitching. Porcello and Wright have been crazy good.
  • Options
    I'm inside Yankee Stafium right now, watching Red Sox @ Yankees - I think this is my third or fourth match over here but I'm still not sure I understand this sport, I think the ball has only been hit about three times in half an hour.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I'm inside Yankee Stafium right now, watching Red Sox @ Yankees - I think this is my third or fourth match over here but I'm still not sure I understand this sport, I think the ball has only been hit about three times in half an hour.

You know, I understand where you're coming from - baseball can take a little while to get its hooks into you - especially if you're unlucky and happen to catch some of the less exciting games. I do think, though, that an understanding of the rules and some of the main terminology and tactics definitely makes it more interesting and enjoyable.
    Having said that, it might just be that it's not your thing. But at least you've given it a go!
  • Options

se9addick said:

You know, I understand where you're coming from - baseball can take a little while to get its hooks into you - especially if you're unlucky and happen to catch some of the less exciting games. I do think, though, that an understanding of the rules and some of the main terminology and tactics definitely makes it more interesting and enjoyable.
    Having said that, it might just be that it's not your thing. But at least you've given it a go!
    It was good fun, I might not know much about baseball but the Yankees (lost 5-1) were clearly terrible. !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You chose a good game to go to. Intense rivalry between these two which goes right back to the Babe Ruth era.
  • Options
    Rob said:

You chose a good game to go to. Intense rivalry between these two which goes right back to the Babe Ruth era.

An American colleague told me I was getting to see the "Old Firm of America" ! It wasn't quite that, didn't seem to be any aggro between the fans but was pretty passionate.
  • Options
    So Cubs smashing all before them with a ridiculous record so far. Supreme rotation - if they get get a big bat in the line up to replace Schwarber then if the curse ain't beaten this year it never will be.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Rob said:

An American colleague told me I was getting to see the "Old Firm of America" ! It wasn't quite that, didn't seem to be any aggro between the fans but was pretty passionate.
    It's not like it used to be. It was never mass fights, but you could always count on a couple of isolated incidents. I was at a game when a Sox fan dumped a beer over a Yankees fans head. He complained to the steward who had watched it happen. Steward told him it was his own fault for coming to the game in a Yankees hat.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Rob said:

It's not like it used to be. It was never mass fights, but you could always count on a couple of isolated incidents. I was at a game when a Sox fan dumped a beer over a Yankees fans head. He complained to the steward who had watched it happen. Steward told him it was his own fault for coming to the game in a Yankees hat.
    A pint is about $12 in Yankee stadium (seriously) which is probably why that tradition has finished !
  • Options
    It not helped that the Red Sox is the most expensive average "game day experience" in baseball.

Most of the people that made it interesting have been priced out.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Rob said:

A pint is about $12 in Yankee stadium (seriously) which is probably why that tradition has finished !
    I think it was around a decade ago that they started playing each other like nine series a season (series being three games--also don't quote me on that). It used to be that you'd play your rivals 3-4 times, but scheduling was switched so that you played the teams in your division more frequently and even back when I was still following baseball it felt like everyone had gotten a bit sick of it. Between the regular season and post season they play each other so many times, and it's always been so built up, that it gets a bit tiresome.

Also, don't really agree with the "Old Firm" comparison. I think Manchester derby would be more accurate. A rivalry where one team was traditionally dominant, and that's shifted in the last few years. A fierce rivalry but because supporters don't live in the same town (United fans all being from London, Surrey, etc.), it's rare that the bad blood spills over off the field.
  • Options
    Suddenly the DBacks have won 4 straight and are now only one back in the division, which isn't hard when you consider no team is above .500 in NL West
  • Options
    Always knew those Cardinals were wronguns.