Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Boys of Summer 2016

1235»

Comments

• Options
    What a World Series this has been. Unbelievable drama. Such a shame one of these teams has to (eventually) lose.
    Best I've ever seen. Is it the best ever? I don't know, maybe some of the Americans on here could name a better one?
  • Options
    Cubs do it. 8-7 in 10 innings.
  • Options
    Greatest story in US sports history. Well since we did it in 04.

Congrats Cubs. Can't believe what I just saw
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Amazing to be over in USA following this. What a story - delighted for the Cubs.

Afraid to say tonight was much more exciting than anything I've experienced watching the Addicks in a long while. The tension is ridiculous - like a four or five hour long penalty shootout.

And just seen the post match stuff -the trophy gets presented to the owner who passes it on to the CEO / Ops manager who passes it on to the team manager. (No sign of the players!) All interviewed and all spoke emotionally and evocatively about what it meant. Made me very sad compared to CAFC. Never in a million years could I imagine RD/ KM/ RS ever uttering such words.
  • Options
    So good. What great finish to a great series.
    Couldn't believe it when it went to extra innings and the rain came down. That meant I couldn't watch the end. Gutted.

Still, delighted for the Cubs and I feel so sorry for the Indians. Maybe next year for them.
    Hopefully all those pesky Cards fans can stop lording it over the Cubs now!

(I'm looking at you @Henry Irving )
    :wink:
  • Options

I'm sure that's tongue in cheek, but no.
    The Cubs story is WAY bigger than the Red Sox story. And I say that as a Red Sox fan.
  • Options
    I just watched two interviews - one with Cubs MVP Ben Zobrist, one with Indians Manager Terry Francona.
    Both were asked what they did/were thinking during the rain delay.
    Zobrist's reaction (and I'm paraphrasing): "Jason Heyward called all the guys together for a team meeting and told us that everything that happened up to this point is in the past, we are going to win this because we are, and have been the best team in baseball this year. We all pulled together and went out there and did it."
    Francona's reaction: "What was I thinking?" (looks puzzled and annoyed) "I went to the bathroom. It was only a 10 minute delay, it didn't make any difference."

I'd say that yes, Terry, it really did.

• Options

So good. What great finish to a great series.
    Couldn't believe it when it went to extra innings and the rain came down. That meant I couldn't watch the end. Gutted.

Still, delighted for the Cubs and I feel so sorry for the Indians. Maybe next year for them.
    Hopefully all those pesky Cards fans can stop lording it over the Cubs now!

(I'm looking at you @Henry Irving )
    :wink:

We've given it out for long enough so only right we eat some humble pie now.

Well done Cubs, best team by a long way in the regular series and won in the hard way in the World series.

Got a young team with real depth too so don't think it will be a one off.

But the Cards will give them a tougher time next season ; - )
  • Options

The Cubs story is WAY bigger than the Red Sox story. And I say that as a Red Sox fan.
    Nah - the Giants 2014 "no hopers"... :wink:
  • Options
    Had completely forgotten about this till I came on CharltonLife a few minutes ago.

Brilliant news for the Cubs!!... GET IN!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016

Kind of tongue in cheek - but for what it means to a region Red Sox was bigger. They are a religion throughout New England. A way of life. You define the city of Boston by their baseball team - they are the heart and soul of the city.

As I say last night was history - but the Red Sox story was a bit different what with the whole Buckner game etc thrown in as well. Not to mention the ALCS comeback.

• Options
    edited November 2016

Kind of tongue in cheek - but for what it means to a region Red Sox was bigger. They are a religion throughout New England. A way of life. You define the city of Boston by their baseball team - they are the heart and soul of the city.

As I say last night was history - but the Red Sox story was a bit different what with the whole Buckner game etc thrown in as well. Not to mention the ALCS comeback.

Oh, absolutely. No denying that. And yes, the 2004 ALCS comeback followed by breaking the curse was amazing.
    The thing is, it seemed like people expected the Redsox to break the curse eventually, but with the Cubs, it's always seemed to me like everyone simply accepted that they would NEVER break their curse.
    It's like their drought has been so ingrained in the american baseball psyche that no one could ever imagine it coming to an end!

As an aside, the White Sox breaking their drought (longer than the Redsox drought) in 2005 hardly ever gets mentioned. Why is that? Is it because no one cares about the White Sox? :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Oi I'm a white sox fan. Absolutely detest the Cubs. Awful day.
  • Options
    cubs turn into full grown jungle cats .. and devour the Indians .. been a looooooong time coming
  • Options
    What a game to end a brilliant season. You have to feel for the Indians who looked to have it won with a 3-1 series lead but what a comeback by the Cubs to finally win it all after 108 years and break the so called curse. They were favourites from Day 1 and were the best team during the regular season with 103 wins so you can't say they didn't deserve it. I fancy they will be there or thereabouts again next season.
  • Options
    Well done Cubs and Theo "curse-breaker" Epstein.

Do you think that they'll finally forgive Bartman now?
  • Options
    Leicester City win the PL
    Team GB get more golds than China at the Olympics
    Bangladesh beat England in a Test Match
    Cubs win the World Series

Charlton Athletic win...ah well, at least some things haven't changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Victory parade in Chicago about to start
    http://abc7chicago.com/live/23381/