Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    How can Terry O'Connor have scored that 117-111? Madness.

• Options
    Makes a complete mockery of the sport, this one didn't even give me the same feeling as Ryder v Smith. I knew Smith would be gifted that even though he needed to render Ryder unconscious by round 9, its a feeling of resignation and immense injustice you feel for someone who has worked so so hard to prepare and compete to have that completely tossed aside by judges wanting to make sure they are on the list to be paid to do the next show

Off the top of my head I can think of some really really rotten at best subjective scoring at worst outright corrupt greedy scoring 

Ricky Burns v Ray Beltran 
    Connor Benn v Peynaud 
    Dillian Whyte v Chisora 1 
    Crollas last fight 
    Smith v Ryder 
    Okolie v Askin

Watch any of these back with the sound off and score it and write a couple of notes as you go. I mean it isn't very therapeutic and if you do it a while after the fight it just makes you more angry 
  • Options
    Great to see a picture of judge Terry O'Connor on his phone whilst a round is ongoing. With behaviour like that whilst you are supposed to be judging a fight, you've got to feel for Vasquez who clearly got robbed there

Felt Essomba was hard done by earlier too
  • Options
    Ring walk now, come on Loma! 
  • Options
    Berlanga looks an exciting prospect, very hard hitting.

15 fights, 15 first round KO's. Obviously needs to step up in class though.
  • Options
    Lopez looking good
  • Options
    4 rounds gone and Lopez definitely winning so far. 3-1 i'd say. Loma needs to step it up.
  • Options
    5-1 now... Loma isn't throwing anything 
  • Options
    Finally, Loma wakes up in the 8th
  • Options
    Loma stepping it up now, right back in this.

A big last 2 rounds and he might just edge it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got Lopez 1 up with 2 rounds to go
  • Options
    Have it even going into the last, ringside they have loma 1 up... Lopez looking really tired now 
  • Options
    Lopez by 1 round for me there, this could go either way... Wouldn't be surprised to see a draw
  • Options
    Lopez wins it by UD.... 119-109 on one card though, what was she smoking
  • Options
    Even the 117-111 seems very very wide, I had Lopez up by one round too. 

That 119-109 is one of the worst bits of judging I've seen and that's quite an achievement given the Ritson debacle earlier.
  • Options
    Wow. One judge scored it 119-109, another 117-111 wtf!

Can't deny that Lopez probably deserved it but don't think it was as wide as the judges gave it. Then again Loma didn't decide to start fighting until the 7-8th round.
  • Options
    The judging in boxing needs serious scrutiny, it’s probably the biggest singular thing that damages the credibility in the sport. It won’t happen though, as it suits the promoters.

O’Connor also had a dodgy card in one of the warm up fights (Essomba).

Hear Teddy Atlas’s of ESPN

https://twitter.com/atrboxinguk/status/1317622118314610688?s=21
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    How can Terry O'Connor have scored that 117-111? Madness.

O'Connor is a shit judge and an equally shit referee - but one of the 'in crowd' at the BBBoC.
    For this alone he needs to be banned from officiating in any role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Caught up with the fights. Loma Lopez was tight, I had Lopez by one but wouldn't argue the toss over it. Ritson decision was bullshit
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The whole process for scoring professional boxing needs a complete overhaul.
    The following should have no effect on scoring:

- Front foot boxer should not have a scoring advantage over a defensive counter puncher
    - Activity, as in punches thrown, is irrelevant
    - Champion gets the benefit of doubt over the challenger

Scoring should be limited to two factors:

- Punches landed - perhaps weighted in favour of head shots over body, perhaps not.
    - Knockdowns/standing counts

It cannot be beyond the wit of man to develop technology to assist.

The score of each round should also be announced in between rounds (although I grant you I haven't thought that through completely). The law of unintended consequences may be at play with that one.
    Yeah that is a fine starting point. The WBC did something about announcing the scores every third round a few years ago. My only concern is it could ruin any fights as spectacles if a fighter banks rounds early they could then just properly get on their bike for the rest of the fight which while defensive boxing should be applauded that sort of thing is against the spirit of the contest. Jose Mourinho would argue with me but that's how I see that 

Head and body shots should count and be scored, no room for subjectivity there 

Other than me being pretty nit-picky i agree totally with you
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Carter said:
    bobmunro said:
    The whole process for scoring professional boxing needs a complete overhaul.
    The following should have no effect on scoring:

- Front foot boxer should not have a scoring advantage over a defensive counter puncher
    - Activity, as in punches thrown, is irrelevant
    - Champion gets the benefit of doubt over the challenger

Scoring should be limited to two factors:

- Punches landed - perhaps weighted in favour of head shots over body, perhaps not.
    - Knockdowns/standing counts

It cannot be beyond the wit of man to develop technology to assist.

The score of each round should also be announced in between rounds (although I grant you I haven't thought that through completely). The law of unintended consequences may be at play with that one.
    Yeah that is a fine starting point. The WBC did something about announcing the scores every third round a few years ago. My only concern is it could ruin any fights as spectacles if a fighter banks rounds early they could then just properly get on their bike for the rest of the fight which while defensive boxing should be applauded that sort of thing is against the spirit of the contest. Jose Mourinho would argue with me but that's how I see that 

Head and body shots should count and be scored, no room for subjectivity there 

Other than me being pretty nit-picky i agree totally with you
    Yes, that was one of the unintended consequence I had in mind. You've also got the scenario where a fighter knowing they are down say 7 rounds to 2 taking unnecessary (potentially dangerous) risks in the last three rounds, dropping their heads, and/or the trainer pulling a fighter out. So yes, maybe not the brightest idea but the other stuff makes sense I think.

• Options
    Carter said:
    Makes a complete mockery of the sport, this one didn't even give me the same feeling as Ryder v Smith. I knew Smith would be gifted that even though he needed to render Ryder unconscious by round 9, its a feeling of resignation and immense injustice you feel for someone who has worked so so hard to prepare and compete to have that completely tossed aside by judges wanting to make sure they are on the list to be paid to do the next show

Off the top of my head I can think of some really really rotten at best subjective scoring at worst outright corrupt greedy scoring 

Connor Benn v Peynaud 
    Crollas last fight 
    Smith v Ryder 
    Okolie v Askin

Watch any of these back with the sound off and score it and write a couple of notes as you go. I mean it isn't very therapeutic and if you do it a while after the fight it just makes you more angry 

Other than Fury Wilder, haven't watched a fight since Ryder was absolutely robbed v Smith. 

• Options
    Carter said:

Connor Benn v Peynaud 
    Crollas last fight 
    Smith v Ryder 
    Okolie v Askin

Other than Fury Wilder, haven't watched a fight since Ryder was absolutely robbed v Smith. 

And as we knew it would its just gone away hasn't it 

Joe Gallagher got very hormonal about being asked about rematches and wonky judging and everyone sat back on thebgravy train 
  • Options
    Usyk's footwork is a joke... Geezer moves like a featherweight 
  • Options
    Good scrap that... Impressed Chisora kept coming forward for so long