Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Speaking of fights 25 years ago...Mike Tyson, Roy Jones Jr this evening. It's a no from me. On PPV? Absolute joke
    Me neither 

I dont blame either of them, Mike Tyson especially for pursuing fulfilment but I'm not staying up nor am I paying to watch it 

Mike Tyson floating all over social media with 30 econd clips of him whacking mitts doesn't mean he is going to be doing anything other than blowing out of his arse, not only that it could get embarrassing because Roy Jones is still Roy Jones as old as he is and he will hit Mike Tyson who could well then turn a bit nasty. I'd rather neither of them were doing it and I hope they put a circus show on and both keep their dignity 

20 years ago its a fight I would have killed someone to get a ticket for
  • Options
    Before his next fight someone should tell Dubois that you are allowed to move your head. 

For a guy that supposedly had better speed and movement - he ate a lot of jabs. 

Joyce is awful to watch - but is effective and has a great chin. 

If they get to fight - can only see a comfortably Usyk points win. 
  • Options
    That was a very average contest. Both fighters are limited and neither will be progressing too far. 
  • Options
    From round 3 the fight reminded me of watching Charlton vs Millwall. Can't believe Charlton bottled it again
  • Options
    Usyk Joyce is an interesting fight. Let's face it, the titles are clogged up with AJ Fury, maybe Whyte and Wilder (pffft) for a while. 

I'm impressed with the amount, and quality, of the matchups during lockdown
  • Options
    That was a very average contest. Both fighters are limited and neither will be progressing too far. 
    Domestic level, and that's it. Joyce Usyk will be a snore fest, Usyk will just be working an unmovable object for 12 rounds 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Two pretty poor heavyweights on show there. Not really the level of fight the hype would have had you expecting.

The jab to that eye looked absolutely minging. Hope there's no lasting damage.

You must be joking !
    @bobmunro can remember Danny Mcalinden v Jack Bodell for the British Heavy weight title. DD would have beaten both in round 1.

Another two rounds of that Left Jab and Daniel could have been blinded in that left eye. Not great taking the knee in boxing but nor is having your eye permanently damaged. At 23 he can come back as long as he doesn't lose his bottle. 

Joe Joyce came into boxing late but did learn his ring craft in the amateur  game.  
    I have seen so many poor British Heavyweights over the years but I enjoyed that fight between two evenly matched fighters. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Two pretty poor heavyweights on show there. Not really the level of fight the hype would have had you expecting.

You must be joking !
    @bobmunro can remember Danny Mcalinden v Jack Bodell for the British Heavy weight title. DD would have beaten both in round 1.

Another two rounds of that Left Jab and Daniel could have been blinded in that left eye. Not great taking the knee in boxing but nor is having your eye permanently damaged. At 23 he can come back as long as he doesn't lose his bottle. 

Joe Joyce came into boxing late but did learn his ring craft in the amateur  game.  
    I have seen so many poor British Heavyweights over the years but I enjoyed that fight between two evenly matched fighters. 

Heavyweights were a lot smaller in those days. 
    These two were really average and will not register beyond national/commonwealth level. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

You must be joking !

Heavyweights were a lot smaller in those days. 
    These two were really average and will not register beyond national/commonwealth level. 
    No way, ill give you it wasn't a bang fest but these two are good fighters. I still have rancid memories of Williams v Harrison and Williams v Skelton as comparable fights. They were horrible watches tonight wasn't 
  • Options
    Hughie Fury is the worst heavyweight to watch. Stinks the place out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll take your Hughie Fury and see you Matt Skelton and raise you Henry Akinwande 
  • Options
    Well that was an absolute joke, awful fight and even worse reffing. Who knows what damage Nate Robinson just done to himself. 
  • Options
    Snoop Dogg smoking a joint whilst performing live infront of the ring Mike Tyson is about to fight in

2020 at its best
  • Options
    Snoop Dogg smoking a joint whilst performing live infront of the ring Mike Tyson is about to fight in

2020 at its best
    That was brilliant, I bet the UK TV directors didn’t know what to do.
  • Options
    Think Roy Jones JR just wants to cuddle Mike Tyson, thats all he seems to be doing 🤣🤣
  • Options
    How was that a draw
  • Options
    Not sure on the draw but that was a great watch. Mike clearly loved it so I think we’ll see him in there again, for 2 50 odds they’ve shown you never do really lose it.
  • Options
    Not sure on the draw but that was a great watch. Mike clearly loved it so I think we’ll see him in there again, for 2 50 odds they’ve shown you never do really lose it.
    He said afterwards it wasn't his last fight and he will he doing a few more of those, not sure how long he can carry on for tho but maybe a couple of those a year for 2 years max.

Apparently they said in the studio aftetwards Holyfield had already said he could be up for one 

He is clearly already in the gym based on a tweet last week

• Options
    Ear ear
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'll take your Hughie Fury and see you Matt Skelton and raise you Henry Akinwande 
    True, remember a fight between Akinwande and Scott Welch which was probably the worst I've ever seen. Don't think anyone threw a punch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm torn with what Dubois did. Yeah he quit, but if he'd carried on he could've done permanent damage to his eye. He's young enough to come back & still have a big career. 

On the flip side, if quitting is engrained in him psychologically, his career is effectively over as he'll never be more than a domestic level fighter.

It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here.
  • Options
    I'm torn with what Dubois did. Yeah he quit, but if he'd carried on he could've done permanent damage to his eye. He's young enough to come back & still have a big career. 

On the flip side, if quitting is engrained in him psychologically, his career is effectively over as he'll never be more than a domestic level fighter.

It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

Hard for any of us to criticise as, I would suggest, none of us has ever taken punches of that strength to a badly damaged eye.
    But your second point is very valid and one of the reasons I tipped Joyce. Dubois is very inexperienced and has never really had anyone in front of him with the exception of Johnson that didn't buckle under one of his big right hands. Joyce is a different level (that's not saying Joyce is at elite level) to Johnson and not only didn't he buckle (granite chin) he had the ability to get to Dubois both physically and psychologically.
    Now that Dubois knows that not every heavyweight is a glass jawed journeyman he may learn to use more than just his right hand - or perhaps he won't and doesn't have the stomach for it.
    He is young and can come back, if he is prepared for tough fights.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If I want to see 50+ year old men fighting unlike Snoop Dogg I would go to Bermondsey when Millwall play Leeds.
    (Pre or post covid)

Would be like watching David Haye outside the ring in his trash talk days when he was promoting ticket sales.
  • Options
    Dubois suffered broken eye socket:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55122753
  • Options
    Great performance from Spence Jr against Danny Garcia. Slick and professional.

Don't think Garcia offered enough, needed to change the game plan early on. 

Spence v Crawford will be a great fight.
  • Options
    I've just finished watching Spence jnr v Garcia 

Pretty disappointed in Danny Garcia to be honest, he has more in his locker. Spence Jnr boxed brilliantly 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Great performance from Spence Jr against Danny Garcia. Slick and professional.

Don't think Garcia offered enough, needed to change the game plan early on. 

Spence v Crawford will be a great fight.

That's the one we all want - I just hope it happens soon while both are in their prime.
    I would move heaven and earth to be ringside!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So with Mayweather v Logan Paul confirmed for February.

Who will be watching and who do you think will win 🤣🤣🤣

What a joke of a fight
  • Options
    He's made a lot of money Mayweather but he is doing his damndest to erode any remaining shreds of integrity the sport has.

Fucking clownshow for muppets.