Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Next question. Why isn’t AJ very popular ?
    For some unknown reason when someone who is British becomes successful they are immediately despised by some. 
    When they start out people like and support them and when they reach the top they want to shoot them down. Maybe it's the underdog thing.
    I'm looking forward to Joshua v Fury. May the best man win.
    Andy Murray, Lewis Hamilton and now AJ.

All quite unpopular. It's very strange.
    You say they are unpopular but I'd disagree, I think a few people dislike Hamilton for his fast and loose approach to paying UK tax but they are vocal, most people love him. Andy Murray I love, I even don't mind he said the anyone but England thing. He's Scottish thats what he is meant to do, glad he is not disingenuous. As far as Anthony Joshua goes he is enormously popular to the point he has transcended boxing. With the more geeky boxing fans like myself that kind of adulation which is possibly not as deserved as we think given how he has been managed. That said his fight with Wlad was one of the best heavyweight fights since Briggs v Lennox and he showed tremendous amount of guts to win that 

• Options
    Carter said:
    For some unknown reason when someone who is British becomes successful they are immediately despised by some. 
    When they start out people like and support them and when they reach the top they want to shoot them down. Maybe it's the underdog thing.

You say they are unpopular but I'd disagree, I think a few people dislike Hamilton for his fast and loose approach to paying UK tax but they are vocal, most people love him. Andy Murray I love, I even don't mind he said the anyone but England thing. He's Scottish thats what he is meant to do, glad he is not disingenuous. As far as Anthony Joshua goes he is enormously popular to the point he has transcended boxing. With the more geeky boxing fans like myself that kind of adulation which is possibly not as deserved as we think given how he has been managed. That said his fight with Wlad was one of the best heavyweight fights since Briggs v Lennox and he showed tremendous amount of guts to win that 

You've only got to read the comments on this thread to see what some people think of AJ. 
  • Options
    Stefco said:
    Don’t be surprised if the WBO don’t grant an exception for an Undisputed fight.
    They could insist on the mandatory which would either mean AJ has to fight Usyk next or vacate to fight Fury.
    If he vacates it will by Usyk vs Joyce for the WBO.
    The WBO should be happy at the prospect of having a unified champion, if the Fury Joshua fight were to happen.

Wasn't the WBO belt seen as more of a joke belt at heavyweight level, when it came in, what with that organisation being years after the WBA or WBC?

For years it seemed that any boxer of any merit had no interest in that belt, other than the Herbie Hides, Michael Bentts, etc.
    Henry Akinwande another WBO legend.
  • Options
    Carter said:

You've only got to read the comments on this thread to see what some people think of AJ. 
    I dont disagree but nobody can label him unpopular. I guarantee the pay per view buys for his fights are miles above anyone else's. 

I didn't like him saying and doing what he did back in the summer but not to the point of slating him, I'm glad he spoke how he felt as opposed to some boring shite like tweeting "stay humble, we go again" 

Tyson Fury has said some pretty stupid things and for the same reason I won't slate him because the world is censored enough already and doesn't need anymore dull PR handled soundbites 

• Options
    AJ and Fury are all about punching people in the face. They both do it very well, so are fine by me. Were they not boxers it would probably count against them.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Can't think of a fight I'm relishing more (although Spence Crawford will be tasty) in fact I can think of a bigger fight in the last 10 years
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Stefco said:
    Don’t be surprised if the WBO don’t grant an exception for an Undisputed fight.
    They could insist on the mandatory which would either mean AJ has to fight Usyk next or vacate to fight Fury.
    If he vacates it will by Usyk vs Joyce for the WBO.
    The WBO should be happy at the prospect of having a unified champion, if the Fury Joshua fight were to happen.

Wasn't the WBO belt seen as more of a joke belt at heavyweight level, when it came in, what with that organisation being years after the WBA or WBC?

For years it seemed that any boxer of any merit had no interest in that belt, other than the Herbie Hides, Michael Bentts, etc.
    Henry Akinwande another WBO legend.
    I think of Henry Akinwande from time to time. Responsible for one of the most welcome and deserved disqualifications I have ever seen. 

He was a really effective heavyweight boxer, what he did worked as awful as it was to watch. Talk to most people who fought him and they will say the same. Hit, score, tie up 

• Options
    edited December 2020

For those interested, DAZN launches in the UK this weekend starting with GGG tonight, and Canelo vs Smith on Saturday. 

For £1.99 p/m it represents great value. No doubt that is just an introductory price though, but if you pay the £1.99 this month you get:

GGG vs Szeremeta

Canelo vs Callum Smith

Ryan Garcia vs Luke Campbell

Great value for money, I'll certainly be subbing.

https://www.dazn.com/en-GB/l/sports/

• Options

For those interested, DAZN launches in the UK this weekend starting with GGG tonight, and Canelo vs Smith on Saturday. 

For £1.99 p/m it represents great value. No doubt that is just an introductory price though, but if you pay the £1.99 this month you get:

GGG vs Szeremeta

Canelo vs Callum Smith

Signed up!
  • Options
    Dont think Fury batters Joshua like some are saying...dont get me wrong this isnt me saying Joshua wins.

Fury fought and beat an older Klitschko, yeah he didnt get knocked down but AJ and Furys styles are/were completely different to each other.

Wilder is for want of a word, terrible, no boxing acumen and a big bang. Tyson Fury got caught by said big bangs twice and got up (second one shocks me still!) Could AJ, ill admit its highly doubtful.

AJ is a much better boxer than Wilder & should give Fury more problems than people think. He seems more calculated in what he throws. 

It will be a great fight either way. I like both boxers and if I stuck my neck out then ill say Fury points. 

Dont understand the hate for Eddie Hearn either, the mans got it sussed and has propelled British fighters onto world scene. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Klitschko was younger when he fought Fury, albeit I think he prepared better for the Joshua fight.

I agree Fury on points though, think he'll outbox Joshua and look to keep him at arm's length for the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Callum Smith v Canelo should be a great fight, though I doubt I'll stay up for it. Canelo is a modern p4p contender, but Smith it good in his own right, has a lot of power, and is considerably bigger than Canelo. For this reason he stands a chance. Think it will be Canelo on points, but I would not be surprised if Smith won
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Callum Smith v Canelo should be a great fight, though I doubt I'll stay up for it. Canelo is a modern p4p contender, but Smith it good in his own right, has a lot of power, and is considerably bigger than Canelo. For this reason he stands a chance. Think it will be Canelo on points, but I would not be surprised if Smith won
    Size difference between Canelo and Smith is crazy, 5ft 8 to 6ft 3.

When you see the photos/videos you wonder how they can actually be in the same weight class.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Size difference between Canelo and Smith is crazy, 5ft 8 to 6ft 3.

When you see the photos/videos you wonder how they can actually be in the same weight class.
    Smith will cause Canelo problems for the reason you say - size. Smith is also a good boxer but ..... I cannot see him stopping Canelo who has a granite chin, and that's the only way he could win as he will never get the decision out there.

I can see a mid to late stoppage for Canelo. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

GGG vs Szeremeta

Canelo vs Callum Smith

Signed up!
    Nice mate. Reckon they will do fight replay no spoilers for the morning ?
  • Options
    Dont think Fury batters Joshua like some are saying...dont get me wrong this isnt me saying Joshua wins.

Fury fought and beat an older Klitschko, yeah he didnt get knocked down but AJ and Furys styles are/were completely different to each other.

Wilder is for want of a word, terrible, no boxing acumen and a big bang. Tyson Fury got caught by said big bangs twice and got up (second one shocks me still!) Could AJ, ill admit its highly doubtful.

AJ is a much better boxer than Wilder & should give Fury more problems than people think. He seems more calculated in what he throws. 

It will be a great fight either way. I like both boxers and if I stuck my neck out then ill say Fury points. 

Dont understand the hate for Eddie Hearn either, the mans got it sussed and has propelled British fighters onto world scene. 
    Such a good fight so hard to call, people defo underestimate aj’s boxing. Its easy to favour fury. 

dont think people hate eddie as much tho its more pantomime.

i think aj stops fury late. Fury been put down a few times but not fought anyone with aj’s acumen (exception klitchko) 
    Like you say, how good actually was wilder? 

Glad they are starting to contemplate forgetting the belts (fight is bigger than the belts! 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The odds when the fight is announced will probably tell the story. Seeing as bookies don't try to give money away. I would expect them to make AJ a slight favourite.

There are question marks against both fighters. Different ones but when it is close, it ought to make a good contest.
  • Options
    Surely Fury will be bookies favourite?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Well let's not argue about it. Hopefully we will find out soon enough. It could be over a year and a half since Fury's last fight if it is his next - that is why I thought AJ might be slight favourite.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Hopefully John Ryder will get a shot too after Smith given that he beat him :-) 

Interesting fight this.  Smith is a great fighter and his body shots are lethal.   Think Canelo is a level or two above but will be an interesting bout and would be great if Callum could pull off an unexpected result.  
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Hopefully John Ryder will get a shot too after Smith given that he beat him :-) 

Interesting fight this.  Smith is a great fighter and his body shots are lethal.   Think Canelo is a level or two above but will be an interesting bout and would be great if Callum could pull off an unexpected result.  

I wouldn't say beat him, but he gave Smith a to torrid time. Also, he's the same height as Canelo give or take so I'm wondering if the height difference is going to amount to much
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Canelo is a similar style to Ryder in the sense that he walks forward and throws shots, but of course to a much higher standard than Ryder. 

Smith needs to keep the distance and use the size difference to his advantage. Even if he was fit enough to do that over 12 rounds, it’s going to be next to impossible to get the judges to favour him. Even his trainer Joe Gallagher said they won’t win on points.

Based on that, I just can’t see Smith winning as much as I’d like it to happen. Canelo has never looked hurt from what I recall, and he’s been in with bigger punchers than Callum Smith. 

Canelo stoppage by body shot 9-12 is what I’d go for. Smith has got a big torso to aim for, so it will be easy for Canelo if Smith allows him to close the gap, which he allowed Ryder to do. 
  • Options
    I don't think AJ Fury is clear cut.   If it hadn't been for the pandemic I think it would be the biggest UK fight for years in terms of views.

Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later and in front of a crowd.  Still both relatively young despite Fury looking like he's nearing 50.
  • Options
    Canelo is a similar style to Ryder in the sense that he walks forward and throws shots, but of course to a much higher standard than Ryder. 

Smith needs to keep the distance and use the size difference to his advantage. Even if he was fit enough to do that over 12 rounds, it’s going to be next to impossible to get the judges to favour him. Even his trainer Joe Gallagher said they won’t win on points.

Based on that, I just can’t see Smith winning as much as I’d like it to happen. Canelo has never looked hurt from what I recall, and he’s been in with bigger punchers than Callum Smith. 

Canelo stoppage by body shot 9-12 is what I’d go for. Smith has got a big torso to aim for, so it will be easy for Canelo if Smith allows him to close the gap, which he allowed Ryder to do. 
    I get that... Anyone who has gone the distance twice with Golovkin knows how to take a punch. Still think it won't be one way traffic though
  • Options
    Well let's not argue about it. Hopefully we will find out soon enough. It could be over a year and a half since Fury's last fight if it is his next - that is why I thought AJ might be slight favourite.
    Fury is 4/7, Joshua 7/4 so no need to wait to find out :)
  • Options
    The Gongora-Akhmedov fight (GGG undercard) was excellent. Gongora looked cooked in round 2 but rallied superbly.
  • Options
    Credit to Szeremeta's chin, but I think we've seen what we wanted from Golovkin. I would presume we get that third Canelo fight now.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Credit to Szeremeta's chin, but I think we've seen what we wanted from Golovkin. I would presume we get that third Canelo fight now.
    Szeremeta completely outclassed.

Golovkin sets the record for the most title defences by a middleweight in boxing history with 21.
  • Options
    Really impressed with the DAZN coverage, great to be able to get up this morning and just click straight on the fights.

Also impressed that DAZN managed to somehow find nine whole minutes of highlights from the Ryder fight. Less impressed by the judge that somehow scored it 96-94, must’ve been watching a different fight.