Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    I like that Fury’s response was to have the fight, but without gloves on.
    I think it shows just how much of a manchild he is, personally.
    Especially when last week it was all legacy and not about money... now hes refusing to pay wilder off. 
  • Options
    Hearn must of known about this, but took the risk. Wilder will get paid off no doubt.
    I'd have thought it virtually impossible that he can't have known. Although i do recall Bob Arum saying there was a clause for a third fight but it had expired, so maybe they thought it wouldn't be an issue.
    Think the timing of the arbitration decision is interesting, as it has been in the pipeline for some time and was then delivered the day after Fury ‘confirmed’ the Joshua fight.

If Wilder accepts a pay off, think it will say a lot about his boxing ambitions for the future as surely his best chance will be to get Fury now. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    I like that Fury’s response was to have the fight, but without gloves on.
    Typical Fury, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I like it.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I don't place the blame at Hearn on this one . It certainly looked to be AJ's team doing all of the running on the fight to make it happen... hardly heard from Warren

While I'm sure Hearn did know about the litigation surely it's Fury's job to manage that, remember it was Fury constantly saying hurry up and do the deal calling AJ all sorts.

I'm with AJ - Fury has lied and misled the fans and the sport. If the fight happens I truly hope the 'step aside' money comes out of Fury's purse as it's his fault
    Yes - I'm pretty much in this camp.

Any step-aside money should of course be settled by Fury, it is he who is covering 'damages' for a breach of a contract he signed - f*ck all to do with AJ.
  • Options
    Hearn must of known about this, but took the risk. Wilder will get paid off no doubt.
    Fury said as much, said that AJ was well aware of the arbitration case going on in the background.

Now we might be going from a huge unification fight, to AJ v Usyk (who hasn't done enough at HW to warrant that shot imo) and a Wilder v Fury fight that no one cares about.
  • Options
    Imagine Usyk v Wilder for the undisputed title. Heavens.
  • Options
    Both camps at fault for me. Fury's camp should not have said that the arbitration case "Isn't a problem" and Hearn for arranging the fight, at his risk, without something more concrete in place.

Now two questions arise:

1 - what is more cost effective? - pay Wilder what he wants and make loads on the fight or scrap the fight. Or risk losing a big  payday by letting Fury face Wilder

and

2 - If they go with option 1 - who pays?
  • Options
    Sounds too similar to our court case earlier in the season.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Both camps at fault for me. Fury's camp should not have said that the arbitration case "Isn't a problem" and Hearn for arranging the fight, at his risk, without something more concrete in place.

Now two questions arise:

1 - what is more cost effective? - pay Wilder what he wants and make loads on the fight or scrap the fight. Or risk losing a big  payday by letting Fury face Wilder

and

There's plenty of opportunity for this to go wrong and them to lose to rumored $70m each.

As we all know Wilder can KO anyone with one punch, lucky or not. Usyk is highly skilled while he's likely to small to beat AJ he can't be taken for granted.

Fury needs to bite the bullet and make the fight happen. $50m is going to dwarf whatever the trilogy fight makes him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He wants 20m to step aside. Offer him 5 and then a guaranteed fight v the winner. Surely he'd accept that. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    cafc999 said:

Now two questions arise:

and

There's plenty of opportunity for this to go wrong and them to lose to rumored $70m each.

As we all know Wilder can KO anyone with one punch, lucky or not. Usyk is highly skilled while he's likely to small to beat AJ he can't be taken for granted.

Fury needs to bite the bullet and make the fight happen. $50m is going to dwarf whatever the trilogy fight makes him.
    All about egos now
  • Options
    Looks very much like we're now going to get Fury v Wilder III. Proposed date is 24 July in Vegas. 

Joshua will have to fight Usyk.

Then assuming they both win, Fury v Joshua can be arranged for the end of this year.

• Options
    Not the end of the world, just means we get to see Fury win two fights this year.
  • Options
    I've seen the script, AJ loses to Usyk and this fight never happens. 
  • Options
    How can this be laid at Hearns door?
    Don't like the. fella, but surely the intricacies of Fury's future fight schedule are in the hands of his promotion team?
    As someone said,we've heard fuck all from Warren.
  • Options
    I cannot stand Fury.....but they are both getting on my Erthas with this. I know it's the modern way - but all of this shit on twitter is puerile.

I would not be upset one iota if they got stretched by Wilder and Usyk respectively..
  • Options
    Buzzing for Taylor v Ramirez this weekend. A proper fight without any need for the social media handbags.
  • Options
    Wilder apparently has a contract that says he gets a third fight. I'm assuming that contract has a penalty clause? If so, just pay it.

Nobody can force Fury to fight Wilder and although it is possible Fury would be stripped of the WBC belt, I think it's unlikely - I don't think the third fight is a mandatory defence of Fury's belt. Even if he is stripped of it, just fight Joshua for his belts. The undisputed crap is secondary to the two best heavyweights on the planet actually fighting each other.

The risk otherwise is that either (or both) Fury and AJ lose against Wilder and Usyk respectively and they kiss goodbye to maybe £100m each for a two fight deal.

Wilder will be paid off, I'm sure of that.
  • Options
    All I can say for sure is that throughout this Dylian Whyte will be sat at home in his underpants waiting for the phone to ring
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Buzzing for Taylor v Ramirez this weekend. A proper fight without any need for the social media handbags.
    Any idea where it’s being shown?
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Croydon said:
    Any idea where it’s being shown?
    ESPN and Fite TV.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Wilder apparently has a contract that says he gets a third fight. I'm assuming that contract has a penalty clause? If so, just pay it.

Nobody can force Fury to fight Wilder and although it is possible Fury would be stripped of the WBC belt, I think it's unlikely - I don't think the third fight is a mandatory defence of Fury's belt. Even if he is stripped of it, just fight Joshua for his belts. The undisputed crap is secondary to the two best heavyweights on the planet actually fighting each other.

The risk otherwise is that either (or both) Fury and AJ lose against Wilder and Usyk respectively and they kiss goodbye to maybe £100m each for a two fight deal.

Wilder will be paid off, I'm sure of that.
    Arum already had the stadium booked for the third fight, so I'm not sure Wilder will step aside.
  • Options
    What is interesting, is surely Wilder has the leverage after the court ruling to demand a fight with the winner of AJ Fury to make the problem go away. That would surely be a bigger fight for Wilder with much more income. If he doesn't want that and is demanding a fight with Fury, it may suggest he wants to be paid off without a fight.
  • Options
    What is interesting, is surely Wilder has the leverage after the court ruling to demand a fight with the winner of AJ Fury to make the problem go away. That would surely be a bigger fight for Wilder with much more income. If he doesn't want that and is demanding a fight with Fury, it may suggest he wants to be paid off without a fight.
    I originally thought this but then realised AJ/Fury probably wouldn’t fight each other without their own rematch clause which would push back Wilder again. 
  • Options
    If I was Wilder I wouldn't want any part of Tyson Fury after the last fight. I would want the step aside money though 

Wilder is out of the picture in my eyes he got the stuffing punched out of him, it wasn't a remotely close contest or controversial in any way. I dont think Usyk beats either Joshua or Fury, too small and I think it took everything he had to keep a game but limited Chisora off him for 12 rounds 
  • Options
    The way boxing is run is an utter farce - nothing surprises me anymore. Must be due another world boxing belt soon or is 4 enough?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I originally thought this but then realised AJ/Fury probably wouldn’t fight each other without their own rematch clause which would push back Wilder again. 
    Again though, promise him the third fight for all the titles. Surely a lot more money and a bigger prize if that was what he was in it for. If the loser of AJ and Fury retired, it may even be the second fight!
  • Options
    The way boxing is run is an utter farce - nothing surprises me anymore. Must be due another world boxing belt soon or is 4 enough?
    Not forgetting all these weird belts thrown in like "regular champion" & "interim champion". WTF are all those about?

Boxers prancing around with these belts like they are champions, & they mean nothing. 

It also infuriates me how the WBO strut around, feathers out, crowing on about how the Usyk fight is the one that should be happening anyway. Demanding it happen during initial Fury v Joshua negotiations.
    That organisation was riduculed for years, & seen as a paper title. Why they think they are so important is beyond me
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Stefco said:
    Not forgetting all these weird belts thrown in like "regular champion" & "interim champion". WTF are all those about?

Boxers prancing around with these belts like they are champions, & they mean nothing. 

It also infuriates me how the WBO strut around, feathers out, crowing on about how the Usyk fight is the one that should be happening anyway. Demanding it happen during initial Fury v Joshua negotiations.
    That organisation was riduculed for years, & seen as a paper title. Why they think they are so important is beyond me

Boxing used to be about the best fighting the best - no ducking. The best was then 'the man, who beat the man, who beat the man'.

It is now box office entertainment - read WBC, WBA, WBO, IBF as Netflix, Prime Video, Sky, Disney. It isn't the boxers' fault - it is the promoters, the Governing Bodies, and the likes of HBO and DAZN.

Every promoter views boxers as meal tickets and are far more concerned with protecting the '0' because that maximises their take. The greats of boxing history were never concerned about losing - just about fighting the best.

That said - at its best it is still the greatest individual sport on the planet (I accept that others may disagree).