Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Gutted, that was extremely close... he was in with a chance of winning that
    Canelo was up 78-74, 77-75, 78-74 on the scorecards before the stoppage so that shows you what Saunders was up against.
  • Options
    Thats a real shame, Billy Joe was boxing brilliantly and the shot that caught him had been thrown and missed about 8 times by Alvarez but landed perfectly and BJS was clearly in trouble from it as would anyone who was dealing with being caught like that and the sensation of having a depressed cheekbone 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Canelo was up 78-74, 77-75, 78-74 on the scorecards before the stoppage so that shows you what Saunders was up against.
    That is embarrassing
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Thats astonishing scoring and like always these people need to give fighters a chance and tell us what they see that defies the object of the sport as in hit and not get hit 
  • Options
    I had it 4-4 but i can see how it could've been 5-3 Canelo so not going to complain at that, he did land a lot more power punches.

The two judges who had it 6-2 Canelo though are jokers.
  • Options
    Billy Joe did a great job and definitely won my respect tonight, boxed brilliantly at times.

Canelo is just too strong though, it was clear once one of those power punches land cleanly BJS would be in trouble, like most of Canelo’s opponents in the past. 

It would’ve been a brutal finish had it gone on longer, Mark Tibbs did the right thing in pulling him out. 
  • Options
    I had it 4-4 but i can see how it could've been 5-3 Canelo so not going to complain at that, he did land a lot more power punches.

The two judges who had it 6-2 Canelo though are jokers.
    Had it the same. 5-3 canelo could make sense though... there isnt anyone else who is not mexican who scored that 6-2. The shot that was thrown had been missed about 8 times. it won't happen, but I'd love to see them run that back again. Caleb plant gets knocked out in 6 by canelo and loses by 8+ rounds to bjs
  • Options
    Whilst bjs boxed well I don't think he actually hurt Canelo and could have stopped him.
  • Options
    I had it 5-3 Canelo but some of the rounds were close so could have been 4-4 or even 6-2 at a stretch.
    Seemed to me that Canelo was holding back - it was clear Bill couldn't hurt him so I'm surprised he didn't press forward more. He got it in the round he predicted though!
    Bill did well but was slowing a bit in the 7th and at the start of the 8th Canelo upped it a bit.
    Would he have stopped him without the injury? Who knows, maybe. Vicious punch and the corner were right to stop it if there was a doubt about the cheek bone.
    Hopefully BJS will recover fully as there are still big pay days for him and maybe a rematch at some point. He will have hated going out on his stool and his pride will want him to go again at Canelo - even if he then goes out on his shield.

Overall disappointing and not worth setting the alarm for 3.30am!! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    I had it 5-3 Canelo but some of the rounds were close so could have been 4-4 or even 6-2 at a stretch.
    Seemed to me that Canelo was holding back - it was clear Bill couldn't hurt him so I'm surprised he didn't press forward more. He got it in the round he predicted though!
    Bill did well but was slowing a bit in the 7th and at the start of the 8th Canelo upped it a bit.
    Would he have stopped him without the injury? Who knows, maybe. Vicious punch and the corner were right to stop it if there was a doubt about the cheek bone.
    Hopefully BJS will recover fully as there are still big pay days for him and maybe a rematch at some point. He will have hated going out on his stool and his pride will want him to go again at Canelo - even if he then goes out on his shield.

Funny how different people see it differently... I thought canelo looked a bit worried and was loading up with huge power punches (and missing most of the time) to try to get him out of there. He didn't work the body enough and let Bill dictate the pace... its not his style, but he could have made that far easier putting his weight on him, getting inside, working the body and making it a shite fight, he was far bigger on the night.

Also glad I stayed up, thought was a great scrap... just disappointed with the way it ended 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    bobmunro said:

Funny how different people see it differently... I thought canelo looked a bit worried and was loading up with huge power punches (and missing most of the time) to try to get him out of there. He didn't work the body enough and let Bill dictate the pace... its not his style, but he could have made that far easier putting his weight on him, getting inside, working the body and making it a shite fight, he was far bigger on the night.

Also glad I stayed up, thought was a great scrap... just disappointed with the way it ended 

Of course - that's the joy of sport!
    We saw the same thing, I think - we just have a different opinion (guess) as to the reasons.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    bobmunro said:

Of course - that's the joy of sport!
    We saw the same thing, I think - we just have a different opinion (guess) as to the reasons.

Roll on fury vs AJ, sounds like we will be hearing something next week
  • Options
    Saunders got hurt and quit. 

Simple story. 
  • Options
    Just sensed that Canelo took it up a couple of gears in the 8th and don't think Saunders would have made to it to the end even if he hadnt got the eye injury. Not that he would have gotten a sniff off the judges anyway!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Simple story. 

If he broke the orbital socket he had no choice - his sight is infinitely more important than a boxing match.
    If that's the case, he was pulled out for his own safety rather than quit.
    After saying Dubois is a joke for doing the same. He would never do the same apparently, well look at him now. 

Karma. 
  • Options
    Just saw without reading any comments. Thought BJS was getting into it but had canelo 5-3 mainly for the power punches. Good fight. Canelo is scary, you can't hit him because you get twice back
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Simple story. 

If he broke the orbital socket he had no choice - his sight is infinitely more important than a boxing match.
    If that's the case, he was pulled out for his own safety rather than quit.
    After saying Dubois is a joke for doing the same. He would never do the same apparently, well look at him now. 

Karma. 

Dubois pulled himself out - the corner (Tibbs) pulled BJS out. At least that's what it looked like.
  • Options
    Mad isn't it. Can have your eye socket broken in a sport where you spend the entire time being punched in the face, and people will call you a quitter if you pull out. No one would ever call a footballer a quitter for pulling a hamstring.

BJS did much better than I thought he would. Wouldn't have stopped Canelo, and wouldn't have won on points, so I imagine that's why his corner were happy to pull him at first sight of the injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it was a really bad injury and BJS was pulled
  • Options
    I feel bad for him, it would have destroyed him to be pulled out like that. I watched the fight again this morning and still had Saunders 2 rounds up, I'd like to see the punch statistics given that is how fights should be scored 

Alvarez was dangerous throughout and is clearly where he is for a reason. Judges can't be scoring against someone who sells 70,000 tickets which is closer to the truth of the scorecards in my cynical opinion 

• Options
    Brave Saunders effort, but Canelo right now, is THE man
  • Options
    Doubt BJS boxes again after that. He's made his money, he's been in with the best n he'll probably tell anyone that'll listen that he had canelo on the ropes
  • Options
    Just sensed that Canelo took it up a couple of gears in the 8th and don't think Saunders would have made to it to the end even if he hadnt got the eye injury. Not that he would have gotten a sniff off the judges anyway!
    This is exactly how I saw it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Fancied Saunders to upset last night and he was well in it. 

Immense power from Canelo and brutal way for the fight to end. Real shame it couldn't go the distance as I think it would have been a tear up last 2 rounds.

Score cards seemed far wider than the actual fight warranted.

Saunders fought well and wish him a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Yep. The only bad thing about it is Eddie Hearns chops all over the other videos at the bottom!