Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    That might look like a soft stoppage, but it's fair enough. Eubank was using him for target practice. Ref saved Smith there.
  • Options
    Can't argue with that stoppage 
  • Options
    Would never have believed that it could be so one-sided.
  • Options
    Looked a little early but would have come anyway so not a huge deal. He was getting battered 
  • Options
    Corner should have pulled at end of the last one. Smith had nothing left and was never gonna land a showstopper. 

Fantastic performance by Eubank, most disciplined I can remember seeing him box 
  • Options
    That might look like a soft stoppage, but it's fair enough. Eubank was using him for target practice. Ref saved Smith there.
    The only thing that I would say is that most punches, like earlier in the fight, missed.
    Not that Smith was throwing anything back.
  • Options
    Looks like the druggie is up next for Eubank. 
  • Options
    The only thing that I would say is that most punches, like earlier in the fight, missed.
    Don't disagree, but the state of Liam Smith's face in that interview, including a massive cut on his right eye, suggests a number of punches landed!

• Options
    He was landing around 30 scoring left jabs every round. For a bloke with a supposed tight defence he was eating jabs all night and never looked to address it 
  • Options
    Don't disagree, but the state of Liam Smith's face in that interview, including a massive cut on his right eye, suggests a number of punches landed!

Some certainly did. It was the lack of punches coming back that was the deciding factor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to Liam Smith for taking the fight he clearly wasn't fit, looked drained and nowhere near aggressive or sharp enough but still showed up and did not quit 

Eubanks footwork still makes me shudder but he did what he had to do 
  • Options
    Smith looked like he wasn’t ever going to throw a punch. Early on I assumed he had a plan, maybe to let Eubank punch himself out of the fight. If so then getting tagged ruined that plan. 
  • Options
    I always turn to this thread for big fight analysis.  This weekend we have Joe Joyce up against Zhilei Zhang in London.  Could be a humdinger?
  • Options
    Could be, I have a feeling it will be a repeat unless Joe Joyce has totally changed hiw he boxes in one training camp. His big cheat code strength was how he just marched forward relentlessly throwing levery jabs through the target. Zhang was the perfect attitude to that, checked and countered him and he can whack. If Joyce has a genuine plan B and has prepared in a totally different way then he could win but I cant see past a Zhang win 
  • Options
    Joyce somehow looks even worse with rhe added weight. So slow and so open 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Joyce somehow looks even worse with rhe added weight. So slow and so open 
    He looks beaten already
  • Options
    Looks terrible. No power in his punches
  • Options
    Poor night for competitive boxing
  • Options
    Brutal punch finishes it
  • Options
    Zhang should still be undefeated really. Never lost that Hrgovic fight. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was as sweet a punch as you will ever see 

Zhang the complete antidote to Joyce's style. Joyce shouldn't be down after that, he has fought everyone offered to him not taken mickey mouse fights and eventually ran into the immovable object 

He still mows down everyone at the level just below this and if he calls it a day I'll be glad I don't see his horrible style again but I love the bloke and his attitude but Zhang was all wrong for him and that come forward style 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Never attempt to have a large Chinese late on a Saturday night:

Superb right hand punch by Zhang who looked so confident from the first bell and did damage with both his left and right hand.

Always sad to see a boxer's decline and Joyce has no where to go now other than down.

Joe's a good guy and  not sure where his granite jaw has gone !
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Could be, I have a feeling it will be a repeat unless Joe Joyce has totally changed hiw he boxes in one training camp. His big cheat code strength was how he just marched forward relentlessly throwing levery jabs through the target. Zhang was the perfect attitude to that, checked and countered him and he can whack. If Joyce has a genuine plan B and has prepared in a totally different way then he could win but I cant see past a Zhang win 
    Thanks for that Carter.  On the ball as always.
  • Options
    Zhang was far to powerful for Joyce 
    He can hit with both hands with so much power hard to see anyone being able to beat him in the future
    I think Tyson will avoid to fight him knowing he would loss 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    He can hit with both hands with so much power hard to see anyone being able to beat him in the future
    Tyson is all wrong for Zhang, he would tie him in knots. He battered joyce as all joyce can do is walk forward. He probably beats most outside of Fury, Usyk and wilder. AJ vs Zhang would be a fantastic matchup. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Wellred said:
    Tyson is all wrong for Zhang, he would tie him in knots. He battered joyce as all joyce can do is walk forward. He probably beats most outside of Fury, Usyk and wilder. AJ vs Zhang would be a fantastic matchup. 
    I think he would smash Aj 
  • Options
    Zhang gets beat by mobility. Fury and Usyk win. Joshua and Wilder it would be more interesting. 
  • Options
    Wilder would tag him at some point as i dont think hes the type of boxer that can press forward enough to take wilder out. I think AJ can box more than he gets credit for and would probably be able to hide behind the jab and beat him on points. Would see that playing out similarly to the second ruiz fight, he isnt stupid enough to stand and trade with Zhang
  • Options
    Did anyone catch the Moses Itauma fight on the undercard last night, he’s only 18 and a super heavyweight fights out of Chatham, the uppercut that led to the stoppage was something to behold he has very quick hands but probably needs to fill out a bit, we’ll worth googling and certainly one to watch.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Did anyone catch the Moses Itauma fight on the undercard last night, he’s only 18 and a super heavyweight fights out of Chatham, the uppercut that led to the stoppage was something to behold he has very quick hands but probably needs to fill out a bit, we’ll worth googling and certainly one to watch.
    Yeah I watched it this morning, I know his coach. He has brothers who are also massive and decent boxers they all still live in the demilitarised zone of Chatham or at least 2 of them do. Given a small amount of time Moses will take over the world as a heavyweight ive genuinely never seen anyone as young as him have the tools he has at the size he is. 

Chatham has a good pedigree for boxing, produced England internationals, and a world champion in Johnny Armour, there's someone who was never in a boring fight. More recently Tom Dallas turned pro, flattened everyone he fought then had a stinker against Zack Page, got starched by David Price, stopped by Matt Skelton and Dave Allen among others and decided to pack it in.

Really decent second row for Lordswood though