Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Quelle surprise..
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Boxing in absolute bollocks shocker. Why do people still bother with this sport. So corrupt
  • Options
    Didn’t watch it. Wouldn’t watch it. 
    Fury is the best of a bang average bunch. 

Have never understood the hype. 

• Options
    What a load of bollocks. How on earth has Fury got that? The judge that gave him it by 3 rounds is on crack.
      Or a night in the Suite of the prince's palace tonight with 50 virgins! 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    Been saying it for ages. Fury wants no part of Usyk and I'm sure some more ducking will ensue.
  • Options
    The way Ngannu is reacting in his interview, you have to wonder if there was some pre-arranged agreement that he couldn't win on points? He seemed to know what was coming as soon as they lined up for the decision.
  • Options
    Don't see Fury v Usyk happening before Christmas.
  • Options
    Didn’t watch it. Wouldn’t watch it. 
    Fury is the best of a bang average bunch. 

Have never understood the hype. 

He just didn’t train and took the piss.

absolute joke 
  • Options
    Don't see Fury v Usyk happening before Christmas.

Fury was beat tonight but given the win
    So Usyk fight could still go ahead to much money in it for it not to
    & your right it won't happen this side of Christmas it's going to take him at least a month to get over tonight 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Fury-Usyk definitely won't happen before christmas, if it even ends up happening at all. Fury will claim he's got some kind of injury and won't be ready. 

He went from shouting from the rooftops pre-fight that Usyk has to fight him 23 December or he'll be sued, to in his post-fight interview saying no idea when it'll be i leave that up to the promoters.

But i wouldn't read too much into last night and i think he stills beat Usyk. He has the size advantage, he clearly didn't bother training much for Ngannou and it will probably give him a wake up call and renewed focus.
  • Options

This whole clip is great, but the first few minutes do enough to explain why no one should view Fury as one of the greats of the game 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

This whole clip is great, but the first few minutes do enough to explain why no one should view Fury as one of the greats of the game 
    & it was plain to see last night's fight was rigged & he was well & truly beaten 
    They will granny it off but after watching the fight everyone knows the truth 
    I bet he wouldn't take a rematch 

• Options
    Fury-Usyk definitely won't happen before christmas, if it even ends up happening at all. Fury will claim he's got some kind of injury and won't be ready. 

He went from shouting from the rooftops pre-fight that Usyk has to fight him 23 December or he'll be sued, to in his post-fight interview saying no idea when it'll be i leave that up to the promoters.

But i wouldn't read too much into last night and i think he stills beat Usyk. He has the size advantage, he clearly didn't bother training much for Ngannou and it will probably give him a wake up call and renewed focus.
     Ngannou looked like the fighter many hoped Joshua would be. Plenty of grit and controlled aggression.
    Focus will be the big issue for Fury. I really don't think he's had much since the second Wilder fight. I'm not sure he cares too much about the money these days and I really think Usyk poses a big risk to him.
    He'll probably have a bash at Joshua and call it a day I reckon.
  • Options
    Fury won the fight on points pretty clearly so I don't understand the 'robbery' talk. Yes it was a single point but the rounds were pretty easy to score. 
    I’m with you here. I had it 6-4 to Fury. He was exposed and put in a tough battle against someone who no one expected to perform they way they did - and naturally we tend to root for the underdog and that can make us more bias in our view.

I would have loved it if Francis won. But ultimately Fury ‘did more’ across the fight to just knick it, and the compubox stats show that as well.

Talk of it being disgraceful and controversial are just part of typical overreactions that we have to almost anything these days. 

• Options

Ngannou looked like the fighter many hoped Joshua would be. Plenty of grit and controlled aggression.
    Focus will be the big issue for Fury. I really don't think he's had much since the second Wilder fight. I'm not sure he cares too much about the money these days and I really think Usyk poses a big risk to him.
    Never know with him, he's so up and down. One day he'll say he wants to be unified champ and will fight for free, the next day he says he'll only fight if he's paid 100m.

Ultimately though (anyone who has seen the Fury Netflix show will know this) he massively struggles in life with bipolar, anxiety, depression etc and needs a routine and a fight to train for. I do wonder how he'll cope with life when he actually has to properly retire. 
  • Options
    For what its worth I thought Fury did enough to win the rounds. Carl Frampton and Richie Woodhall are very good boxing commentators but I think they were going a bit over board on Francis. Its one thing being a counter-puncher but the way Ngannou was set up last night he would have always had to knock out whoever he was fighting to get a win as there is a lot to be said for judges scoring fights on who is pushing the tempo and that was Fury. Francis did not once look to dictate the tempo and in my opinion that will have cost him if I was a judge 

I will agree Fury stank last night, he was clearly undercooked, not ring ready and I won't be surprised if the rumours of him having an injury are true. I will also sympathetically hear any opinions on boxing being corrupt because it is. Ticket sellers ALWAYS get the close calls but in terms of a robbery that wasn't one. Rematch the Jack Catterall v Josh Taylor fight if you want and example of that or Ricky Burns v Ray Beltran, John Ryder v Callum Smith was a shocker too and I'm never popular for saying this but Hatton v Collazo I think was a rotten one as well 

• Options
    Spot on Carter and SELR
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Frank Warren said Fury won by 3 rounds while Eddie Hearn said Ngannou had a 2 round advantage !

'Stand by your man' by the Queensbury and Matchbox promotors 😁

All part of the circus with Frank hoping Tyson gets in Shape by March and Eddie still wanting AJ to earn mega bucks by fighting the "Gypsy King" before it's too late.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw the highlights so can not comment on the actual points decision. I would comment on the fact I loved it when that fucker fell to the floor. 
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/67255102

Exactly like I said.
  • Options

Never know with him, he's so up and down. One day he'll say he wants to be unified champ and will fight for free, the next day he says he'll only fight if he's paid 100m.

Ultimately though (anyone who has seen the Fury Netflix show will know this) he massively struggles in life with bipolar, anxiety, depression etc and needs a routine and a fight to train for. I do wonder how he'll cope with life when he actually has to properly retire. 
    I think Tyson doesn't see 50 unfortunately 
  • Options
    I can't see how anyone could watch that  think Tyson won 
    In fact I think he was so far behind he needed a KO from the 7th onwards 

• Options
    Wellred said:

I mean that's actually objectively wrong - certainly he was dreadful and it was a whole lot closer than it ever should have been but take the emotion out of it and he probably did actually edge it.

The knock down (while deeply satisfying) probably colours perceptions unduly. Fury was up again with very little problem. He was complacent and lazy but not actually ever in real difficulty.
  • Options
    Wellred said:

https://www.boxingscene.com/amp/tyson-fury-vs-francis-ngannou-compubox-punch-stats--178829

Fury landed more punches and more accurately.

He had a tough time against someone he was not expected to, but that does not mean he lost the fight. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:

https://www.boxingscene.com/amp/tyson-fury-vs-francis-ngannou-compubox-punch-stats--178829

He had a tough time against someone he was not expected to, but that does not mean he lost the fight. 
    Plenty of people boxers alike think Tyson lost if Tyson won it like you say 
    Surely it wouldn't have had the response it has had it wouldn't have even got a mention 

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:

Plenty of people boxers alike think Tyson lost if Tyson won it like you say 
    Surely it wouldn't have had the response it has had it wouldn't have even got a mention 

People are looking at the fight subjectively after expecting Tyson to blow Francis away. 

If you forget how good you think they 'should' be, you can score more objectively. Fury won. 

Used to happen all the time with Mayweather fights too. People always claim robbery when the 'favourite' gets tested, but still wins. 
  • Options
    It was a really shit performance and a really close fight, but i had tyson by 1 after watching it back, potentially even 2
  • Options
    Honestly the post above is correct, because everyone, me included expected Fury to do the 10 rounds dancing round and landing at will we were surprised it was not the case as Francis did a lot better than anyone expected.  Thats where the objectivity usually goes out the window, the comparison to Mayweather fights where, like the Maidana first fight people were screaming robbery, it wasn't but Maidana did a hell of a lot better than anyone expected. As far as Mayweather robberies go, there is an argument for the De La Hoya fight and possibly the Zab Judah fight but even then, they were just close fights

A lot of those in boxing screaming robbery and saying Francis won have skin in the game of saying contrarian and disingenuous things for the tragedy of click and like collecting on social media to appear in some way relevant. An extreme case of this is Hearn if you ignore the fact he needs clicks and likes as much as I need another graduate, expensively educated, privileged dick to rock up as my next manager