Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    He has to fight Zhang surely? Five years ago some of these fights would be good. Fury usyk will be shite is my uninformed opion. 
  • Options
    Joshua v Hrgović is basically guaranteed for the meaningless belt. Hearn protecting his asset. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    McBobbin said:
    He has to fight Zhang surely? Five years ago some of these fights would be good. Fury usyk will be shite is my uninformed opion. 
    I still have doubts that it happens 
  • Options
    I want to see it, but Fury usyk will be an awful fight regardless imo... fury is too clever to try to box him, itll be 12 rounds of him being ragdolled. He is probably the best technical boxer around, but the weight and size difference is way too big when someone knows how to use it
  • Options
    Wilder's post match interview indicated that that could have been his last fight .. Joshua looked decent, but how good was his opponent ?
  • Options
    What a joke this was.
    Only watched the Wilder fight as can't be doing with Joshua.
    I've seen better atmospheres in a dentists waiting room!
    The refereeing was a joke. Some of the things he was letting go was unbelievable!
    But I suppose if you are fighting with fluffy pillows on your mits it doesn't really matter.
    12 rounds of heavyweight boxing and neither of them had a mark on them!
  • Options
    edited January 5

Joshua still fighting cherry picks rather than real opponents. 
  • Options

Joshua still fighting cherry picks rather than real opponents. 
    Like 90% of boxers these day sadly.
  • Options
    And they wonder why interest in Boxing is waining
  • Options
    I'd imagine the path planned is now, Francis in March, hrgovich for the belt in September and fury next Xmas?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joshua hasn't ducked anyone to my knowledge. The challenging fights for him are Fury, Usyk and Wilder and none of those make sense in the next 4m. Why not take a fight like this for publicity 
  • Options
    Joshua has now joined the circus, not as if there isn’t any other good professional heavyweight fights out there, hope AJ gets knocked spark out
  • Options
    This is what happens when Saudis take over the circus. Millions of people, not purist boxing fans of which we are the vast minority, will gladly pay to watch. So with enough Saudi money it gets made. 

For me, the opposite should be true. The Saudi money should be getting fighters who haven't fought but should have fought into the fucking ring with each other. Everyone has a price and they seem keen to put these shows on in front of insipid, sycophantic crowds. Instead we get a circus event 
  • Options
    Monster Beterbiev v Callum Smith 

Ponderous first round from Smith, Beterbiev easily stepping inside his jab and landing bunches of shots. Callum Smith as a Gallagher fighter although I cant see Joe with him tonight is a jab, jab, jab shot round the guard fighter and this is just not going to work against Beterbiev who clearly wat hed the John Ryder fight or more likely is just doing what he does 

2nd round he has started a bit better (Smith)
  • Options
    I cant see Joe because Buddy McGirt is training  him and has been for a while. 

Smith boxing a lot better this round 
  • Options
    Beterbiev teeing off in round 3, Smith is tough but having his head rocked about here 
  • Options
    Smith not been able to put a dent in Beterbiev and he now badly needs to. I get the feeling Beterbiev might take a round off and starch Callum next round 
  • Options
    He didn't take a round off, he just peppered Smiths head. Smith needs to find something really big this round now. 5 in and Beterbiev 5 easy rounds up
  • Options
    Slightly better round from Smith but still managing to be using his face as target practice for Beterbiev. He really does need to stop staying in the pocket and use his jab at a distance 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smith boxed better that round again, he spent less time on the ropes and landed a couple of nice combinations but I get the feeling its like trying to cut a tree down with a spoon 
  • Options
    Smith down after a big barrage 
  • Options
    Smith down again and its over, Buddy must not have had a towel. Should have been stopped after the first knockdown 
  • Options
    Beterbiev is a monster. He has to fight Bivol next, and i'm sure the Saudi's will get it done.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Beterbiev in a different class to Smith.
    None of Smith's punches ever bothered Beterbiev. He just walked through them and marched forward like the terminator.
  • Options
    I've posed this question before. Beterbiev has a very heavy beard as do a lot of boxers if not as thick as Beterbiev's . A thick beard must act as a nice cushion, an absorber of punches, so how are boxers allowed to wear such heavy 'protection' ?
  • Options
    I've posed this question before. Beterbiev has a very heavy beard as do a lot of boxers if not as thick as Beterbiev's . A thick beard must act as a nice cushion, an absorber of punches, so how are boxers allowed to wear such heavy 'protection' ?

It is something an opponent can insist on that the other boxer shaves their beard. I have a feeling because of religious sensitivity this doesn't happen really anymore. A beard if not softened can scratch an eye, deflect slightly punches if greased up. In all honesty I think insisting on stuff like that is psychological and very marginal. Smith needed a baseball bat rather than a razor to use on Beterbiev last night
  • Options
    Ryder absolutely battered by Munguia. Dropped 4 times before a TKO in the 9th.
  • Options
    He looks the business doesn't he Munguia 

John Ryder is as hard as they come and I've always rated him and Munguia just walked through him. I hope John Ryder got paid really well for that. He has not ducked anybody and been on the wrong end of one of the worst judging decisions I've ever seen with Smith. Boxing has a nasty habit of not rewarding men like him where lots of actual boxing fans rate him and he is a relatable man but was operating in a time when a lot of British boxers clearly sold more tickets than him and had better little black books