Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

1261262263264265267»

Comments

• Options
    Also thought Wardley was lucky not to have a point deducted for the continued back hand slaps that he was throwing. 

Even in a poor HE environment, it’s unlikely that either of them will be eating at the top table.  
  • Options
    Anyone watch the Whittaker fight? I planned to, but by the time I switched over it had already happened! Know he won. Was he up to his usual tricks?
  • Options
    Anyone watch the Whittaker fight? I planned to, but by the time I switched over it had already happened! Know he won. Was he up to his usual tricks?
    He couldn't afford to get up to his usual tricks as his opponent was quite decent. 
    He won on points but boxed far more conventional than he has in the past.
  • Options
    Superb performance from Ryan Garcia. 
  • Options
    I didnt quite make it to stay up and watch it live, watched it back this morning without knowing the result and am really glad I did. 

Garcia just not being cowed by Haneys actual boxing ability. Knowing he had the power to hurt Haney is one thing but hitting him is another. What a performance 

If he comes out now and says all the social media lunacy was part of a plan then he is a very sharp and sneaky operator. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I didnt quite make it to stay up and watch it live, watched it back this morning without knowing the result and am really glad I did. 

Garcia just not being cowed by Haneys actual boxing ability. Knowing he had the power to hurt Haney is one thing but hitting him is another. What a performance 

If he comes out now and says all the social media lunacy was part of a plan then he is a very sharp and sneaky operator. 
    One of the first things he said in his post-fight interview was "come on, you really thought I was crazy?"

Personally i do think he is a bit loony, but clearly some of the stuff he did was just mind games. For example downing a beer on stage at the weigh in that he said later was apple juice.
  • Options
    Haney should have refused the fight - Garcia had no intention to make the weight 
  • Options
    Those who know a bit about boxing, how much heavier would the boxers be when they enter the ri their weight at the weigh in ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Those who know a bit about boxing, how much heavier would the boxers be when they enter the ri their weight at the weigh in ? 
    They didn't advertise it last night but let's say Amir Khan when he fought at light welterweight which is 140lbs, he would easily put on a stone between weighing in and getting in the ring and would look massive, even when he fought at featherweight. Some fighters insist on rehydration clauses now so that they can only put on a certain amount. Its a balancing act, some of these blokes have eaten next to nothing for weeks and boiled down to the weight so eating a full English breakfast will just make them sick. 

Then you have someone like Carl Froch who I got the impression would maintain a weight around 12 stone and fight at 168lbs so I doubt was killing himself to make weight and didn't pack weight on between weigg in and fight but then George Groves is a big man and would have been living off water and the occasional grape but when in the ring would look enormous 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Haney should have refused the fight - Garcia had no intention to make the weight 
    Its 3lbs, that won't make a difference in real terms. They will have fined him and the belt was immediately taken off the table. I cant remember exactly who it was, someone like Castillo, Corrales, Cotto or maybe Marquez but they weighed in over, was given the opportunity to weigh in later and they had put on weight, and it was more substantial than a few pounds and ounces. Just wanted to hurt the other guy that badly. I'm thinking the opponent was Margharito because of the plaster in his hand wraps but it could have been one of Corrales and Castillo 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Referee was terrible in the fight and felt he gave Haney way too much protection in those later rounds to hold. 

Think fights like this will give boxers the idea of coming in overweight for advantages. People don't call off fights anymore so what's the point of sticking to the rules? Garcia is listed as the winner, there's no asterisk next to it. 
  • Options
    Referee was terrible in the fight and felt he gave Haney way too much protection in those later rounds to hold. 

Think fights like this will give boxers the idea of coming in overweight for advantages. People don't call off fights anymore so what's the point of sticking to the rules? Garcia is listed as the winner, there's no asterisk next to it. 
    I thought that years ago but the fines just have to go up to stop it dead in its tracks. Boxers aren't into fighting for free 
  • Options
    Carter said:

I thought that years ago but the fines just have to go up to stop it dead in its tracks. Boxers aren't into fighting for free 
    Commissions are too scared of being left out of the biggest fights so essentially give the fighters everything they want. 

The only reason Garcia paid a fine is because him and Haney agreed before the fight that it would happen. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Its 3lbs, that won't make a difference in real terms. They will have fined him and the belt was immediately taken off the table. I cant remember exactly who it was, someone like Castillo, Corrales, Cotto or maybe Marquez but they weighed in over, was given the opportunity to weigh in later and they had put on weight, and it was more substantial than a few pounds and ounces. Just wanted to hurt the other guy that badly. I'm thinking the opponent was Margharito because of the plaster in his hand wraps but it could have been one of Corrales and Castillo 
    Garcia and Haney had previously agreed 500k per 1lb over. Haney has already said he has paid up $1.5mil. 

Amazing performance by Garcia, Haney couldn't deal with his speed and that left hook. Some huge fights on the table now, Pitbull or Teo would both be great scraps if he can make weight. If he steps up the conor Benn fight would sell well and would be a good warm-up for Boots down the line
  • Options
    Agree there are some massive fights to make and like Haney last night, no shame in any of them losing to each other at all. I just hope they make the fights rather than treading water. They are all ready and up to scratch especially tank who was a prospect 10 years ago now he needs to pull his finger out and be a bit flexible to make these fights 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Carter said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Garcia and Haney had previously agreed 500k per 1lb over. Haney has already said he has paid up $1.5mil. 

Amazing performance by Garcia, Haney couldn't deal with his speed and that left hook. Some huge fights on the table now, Pitbull or Teo would both be great scraps if he can make weight. If he steps up the conor Benn fight would sell well and would be a good warm-up for Boots down the line
    Yeah I'd heard about the bet over the weight, and agree with whoever it was says the commissions and promoters won't want to cancel the bouts so the only lever realistically left is big, really big fines by the comissions and sanctioning bodies. 

• Options

If this is true it's gold and Ryan is a genius