Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Holland

Comments

• Options

I find matches at Wembley to be devoid of atmosphere

Except in 1988
  • Options
    vff said:

The referee needs to be consistent. He has given a succession of soft free kicks against England. With all the soft free kicks that he has given for any near physical contact, he has to give the foul against the Dutch player in the build up. Not impressed with this referee. England don't deserve to be behind in this game.

England's attack has some pace but if they are going to get anywhere then they have to cut out the mistakes in defence. Quality teams will punish those. Happier watching an attacking England team with some defence frailty then one that is defensive extremely solid but doesn't look like scoring going forward.

Might have helped if he had options - don't remember seeing another England outfield shirt near him at the time of the slip.
  • Options

Wes Morgan is having a fine season at Leicester, shame he's already played for Jamaica otherwise he'd have a genuine shout for an Indian Summer with England. Not really ball playing, but as a reliable no-nonsense backup he'd be a good option.

Lets be honest, all thing going well your 4th centre back won't play so you just want someone reliable to step in in an emergency. Their ball playing ability is somewhat secondary to their ability to not fuck up.

And if it's someone who the experience will help in future, say a very promising 21 year old, then all the more reason to take them.
  • Options

Wes Morgan is having a fine season at Leicester, shame he's already played for Jamaica otherwise he'd have a genuine shout for an Indian Summer with England. Not really ball playing, but as a reliable no-nonsense backup he'd be a good option.

Lets be honest, all thing going well your 4th centre back won't play so you just want someone reliable to step in in an emergency. Their ball playing ability is somewhat secondary to their ability to not fuck up.

And if it's someone who the experience will help in future, say a very promising 21 year old, then all the more reason to take them.
    I'm not sure sitting in a hotel and then on a subs bench will teach Stones much. He'd learn more from playing with the U21s or maybe gain even more by getting a summer of rest.
  • Options

I'm not sure sitting in a hotel and then on a subs bench will teach Stones much. He'd learn more from playing with the U21s or maybe gain even more by getting a summer of rest.
    Not so sure - is used then to the tournament atmosphere, routines etc.
  • Options
    Just got back from the game, pretty dull first half, pleased Vardy scored again, thought Smalling played well when he was on the pitch, Danny Rose did well, wasn't particularly impressed with Lallana ,Milner, or Stones, Sturridge shows some nice touches, but doesn't make a lot of impact and got pulled off after about an hour as he has been for most of the season, didn't look convincing enough imo to go to the Euros, will he ever regain full fitness?

It looked like some dodgy decisions from the ref, but obviously I'm biased, will have to watch them back to see if they were right.

Would have loved to have seen Kane, Dier and Alli start, but that was never going to happen, I think there a shoe in barring injury anyway for the Euros,this match felt very much about trying things out, rather than trying to win a game , some things came off, much didn't, I'd be worried if it was our first eleven.

Huge numbers of school kids with their parents in the crowd, half term I guess probably affected the atmosphere we had a fantastic view on the half way line 4 rows from the front, was nice to be part of a bigger crowd, 82,000 I think,would love to go back and see a full strength England side play.

• Options
    Was a joke from the commentators... "Well the England team comes back down with a bang after the Germany game and a bit of perspective can be shown"

Erm its you lot the media that create the hype and yes it was a difference to Germany yet it was almost a completely different squad meaning we almost beat Holland with our "B" team but for the referee
  • Options

Was a joke from the commentators... "Well the England team comes back down with a bang after the Germany game and a bit of perspective can be shown"

Erm its you lot the media that create the hype and yes it was a difference to Germany yet it was almost a completely different squad meaning we almost beat Holland with our "B" team but for the referee

Tyldsley and Hoddle are pathetic.

Tyldsley kept going on about it being a humbling defeat..... In what way? Because we beat Germany and all of a sudden you and half the country think we're going to win the Euros? Does losing to Holland mean we won't get out of the groups

2 different teams fielded.

Just as I type this, the reporter on sky news "England brought back down to earth with a bang" - what bollocks.

It's actually quite embarrassing.
  • Options
    Whats worse Ricky is there are fans who will read / hear those comments from the media and just nod their head in agreement

They dont think about the fact that England fielded a completely different team to the two games (that wont happen in France) nor do they stop to realise that Holland's two goals were shocking refereeing decisions and that yes John Stones made a mistake in the build up to that goal yet it was a slip on a wet surface whilst under pressure so could have happened to anyone... Had it been a crappy pass or had he been tackled whilst bombing forward that would have been a mistake!!

Shame really because some of the goals we've scored along with the pressing / possession we've had in these two games have been excellent and why not concentrate on the positives for once, especially as our goal last night was a case of using Total Football against the true masters and creators of that idea.

One thing is for sure... they cant run the "England players treat friendlies as meaningless" tag anymore!!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Agree mate.

It's pathetic - I heard a comment in a phone in, from some absolute clown. It was about Butland being injured, said it was a massive blow and the team that England fielded against Getmany would have started the Euros. When politely reminded of Joe Hart, the caller was genuinely stumped and admitted forgetting about him. The same Joe Hart that has been number 1 for the last 5 years and has 57 caps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simply look at our record over recent Friendlies... We've beaten all the big nations over the last four / five years, yes we did terrible in Brazil but did anyone bother to look back at the fact we always do terrible in competitions when they're held outside of Europe!!
  • Options
    Goalkeepers: Hart .. Forster .. Heaton
    Defence: (LBs) Bertrand .. Rose / (RBs) Clyne .. Walker / (CBs) Cahill .. Smalling .. Stones .. Jagielka
    Midfield: Dier .. Drinkwater .. Sterling .. Alli .. Barkley .. Henderson .. Lallana
    Attack: Rooney .. Vardy .. Kane .. Welbeck .. Sturridge

Would be my team for the Euros yet the biggest question of the lot... After the emergence of Dele Alli into the England squad and with Jurgen Klopp taking over at Liverpool, would we have seen Joe Gomez playing for England this season?
  • Options

You should have been at Euro 96, plenty of atmosphere at the England games there.

Only comment to make is on the ref, Holland should have had a pen for Rose's foul early in the first half, the pen they did get was justifiable, he missed a clear foul in the build up to the winner. Pleased to see he isn't going to France in June.

• Options
    edited March 2016

I thought that was Holland's "C" team
  • Options
    Last night wasn't our strongest team. The "A" team should have Kane, Alli, Vardy and Dier not sure where Rooney fits in now, he has been a talisman but recent performances in competitions were not so great. I wouldn't pick him over Alli or even Barkley at the moment. Mind you knowing Woy he will probably think Gareth Barry may be worth another punt.
  • Options

You should have been at Euro 96, plenty of atmosphere at the England games there.

Only comment to make is on the ref, Holland should have had a pen for Rose's foul early in the first half, the pen they did get was justifiable, he missed a clear foul in the build up to the winner. Pleased to see he isn't going to France in June.

You see I didnt think their pen was justifiable and was a sign of another official who hasnt played the game... Rose used his arms to get himself off the ground so his arm was already out when the ball hit it, because of that its surely ball to hand rather than hand to ball (i.e. there was no movement from Rose's arm to stop the ball
  • Options

Defence: (LBs) Bertrand .. Rose / (RBs) Clyne .. Walker / (CBs) Cahill .. Smalling .. Stones .. Jagielka
    Midfield: Dier .. Drinkwater .. Sterling .. Alli .. Barkley .. Henderson .. Lallana

Would be my team for the Euros yet the biggest question of the lot... After the emergence of Dele Alli into the England squad and with Jurgen Klopp taking over at Liverpool, would we have seen Joe Gomez playing for England this season?

That looks like the final squad... at this stage!

Depending on injury recovery, Wilshere and Luke Shaw may be in with a shout.

Dier can be used as a CB also
  • Options
    Sorry wouldnt take either Wilshere or Shaw... By leaving them out it sends a message that if you play well and constantly before the Euros your in with a shout, injury or lack of form then your not going!!
  • Options

That looks like the final squad... at this stage!

Depending on injury recovery, Wilshere and Luke Shaw may be in with a shout.

Dier can be used as a CB also
    Good point regarding Dier. I'd personally leave Jagielka out and take Wilshire if fit. However including Him, Shaw, Walcott and Sturrige is a massive gamble - 3 of them appear to be made of glass.
  • Options

That would be my squad - although I'd probably leave Sterling out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For all his faults wilshere has been great in an England shirt over the last 18 months. He has glass ankles and drinkwater will come in when he gets injured stepping on to a blade of grass incorrectly but you have to take wilshere
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Except in 1988
    think you mean 1998...
  • Options
    Hart
    Walker .. Cahill .. Smalling .. Rose / Bertrand
    Dier
    Alli .. Rooney .. Henderson
    Kane .. Vardy

Would be my starting team for the match against Russia... Against Germany we were dangerous with pretty much that squad so would simply drop Lallana and replace him with Rooney, would at least try that against Turkey away (WHY are we playing them!!)
  • Options
    My head hurts!
  • Options

You see I didnt think their pen was justifiable and was a sign of another official who hasnt played the game... Rose used his arms to get himself off the ground so his arm was already out when the ball hit it, because of that its surely ball to hand rather than hand to ball (i.e. there was no movement from Rose's arm to stop the ball
    I can see what you mean FA, Rose would argue that he moved his arm to get out of the way of the ball. That said, I think if it were the other way around I would be (probably wrongly) miffed if it were not given. And it made up for the one that wasn't... :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2016

I can see what you mean FA, Rose would argue that he moved his arm to get out of the way of the ball. That said, I think if it were the other way around I would be (probably wrongly) miffed if it were not given. And it made up for the one that wasn't... :wink:
    Oh I think we can all hold our hands up and say that if Gudmundsson's cross hit a Defenders arm we'd be screaming for Handball whilst if a Striker got in that position and pushed the Defender off the ball we'd be saying it was a 50/50 lol!.

(Of course if it was Reza trying to shoulder barge someone like that, he'd probably end up in next week)
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Rose's arms were up because of jumping but there definitely was a little flick out towards the ball. He pulled his arm in then flicked the arm back out a bit.

http://gifcreator.me/download/20160329-16-TxsGavnZk9B5RP8C/www.GIFCreator.me_EABTGJ.gif
  • Options
    Yeah seeing that I hate to say the way that wrist is...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    My squad would be this:
    Hart, Butland, Forster
    EDIT - Forgot Butland out so would probably go for Foster, not sure Heaton is experienced enough.
    Clyne, Rose, Bertrand, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Smalling
    Dier, Henderson, Drinkwater
    Alli, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling
    Vardy, Kane, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

Final place going to either Wilshere or Milner, dependant on the formers fitness.
    Would only take 1 RB as Dier, Stones and Smalling have all played there, and don't think Walker is good enough anyway. Got 4 CBs plus Dier can play there. Sterling should be used as impact sub as his pace should worry a tired full back after 70 minutes.
    Team should be:
    Hart
    Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Rose
    Dier, Henderson
    Alli, Barkley
    Vardy, Kane

Then some really good attacking subs with Sturridge, Rooney, Welbeck and Sterling. Plus Lallana for Barkley as he can go missing sometimes.
    Think Shaw should forget about this tournament, has plenty of time in the future.
  • Options

Going to be annoyed when Milner makes the team instead of Drinkwater or Barkley.