Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    If he was prepared to take a cut in wages I'd have him back at the club. If Bowyer is in charge of the team he'd sort out the mental side of his game I'm sure.
  • Options
    How old is he? 21/2? Give him a year in the u23s. There is a player in there, not as good as he thinks/we thought but still a good player.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

How old is he? 21/2? Give him a year in the u23s. There is a player in there, not as good as he thinks/we thought but still a good player.

23.....and no, I'm not Poyet in disguise! :wink:
  • Options

Will be playing for Orient next season methinks.

Billericay....
  • Options
    Gravesend & Northfleet
  • Options
    That bloke at Billericay Town likes offering waifs and strays a gig.
  • Options

Will be playing for Orient next season methinks.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he ended up at Bromley.
    Could be a great move for both parties. And he's growing his hair again so may even get in the team.
  • Options
    One of the strangest hero to zero stories ever. Literally our best player in the champ.
  • Options
    Yep sad really - i wonder what he is thinking right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yep sad really - i wonder what he is thinking right now.

Probably sitting at home counting his money.
  • Options
    He looked like a Premier League ready player playing in the lower Championship. Really unbelievable to see how far he's fallen.
  • Options
    Bet he'll rock up at Sparrows Lane, and ask if he can train there...
  • Options

He looked like a Premier League ready player playing in the lower Championship. Really unbelievable to see how far he's fallen.

I disagree. Tony Blair said "Ask me my three main priorities for government, and I tell you: education, education, education." To plagiarise that, any Premier League manager would say "Ask me my three main attributes for players, and I tell you: pace, pace, pace". Even as a water carrier these days pace is number one in a player's skill set. In the PL, the only positions were you might get away with a lack of blistering pace are centre back and goalkeeper.

Poyet had insufficient pace to have a successful PL careeer: the days of Jan Mølby and Tomas Brolin are long gone.
  • Options

That's how he saw it.
    The reality is, if he had it in him he would have been playing regular football at a professional club.
    I liked him in his first stint we us, looked like he would be making a good living for many years in football but as we all know he's been found lacking where ever he's gone.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I disagree. Tony Blair said "Ask me my three main priorities for government, and I tell you: education, education, education." To plagiarise that, any Premier League manager would say "Ask me my three main attributes for players, and I tell you: pace, pace, pace". Even as a water carrier these days pace is number one in a player's skill set. In the PL, the only positions were you might get away with a lack of blistering pace are centre back and goalkeeper.

Poyet had insufficient pace to have a successful PL careeer: the days of Jan Mølby and Tomas Brolin are long gone.

Not true, obviously it helps but there's plenty of players of all positions. One who certainly doesn't have blistering pace is Kane and I would also put Ageuro in that group now as he has slowed in recent years. For Poyet's position I would put forward Shelvey who in the eyes of a lot of people (Not Southgate) has been superb this season.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know if he regretted moving to West Ham.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

He said recently he has no regrets.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

PopIcon said:

Thought he said no Rugrats. I'm told he hates cartoons.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

I never believe people when they say that. Everyone regrets at least one thing.
  • Options
    You don't need pace everywhere but if you are - like Poyet - a defensive midfielder then its hard if you are not speedy.

This is where the globalisation of football has changed everything, back in 1992 you could get away with being a chubby Steve Mackenzie - you can't now.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I've got no regrets too, 50p in a charity shop.
  • Options
    He absolutely bossed championship midfields. He was intercepting absolutely everything (with no pace, apparently), making through ball passes to start attacks from our own half and had incredible control of the ball. All in all, I can’t believe he was playing Cypriot first division football last year. Will take me a long time to get over that one - what happened?!
  • Options
    Sideways passing, too deep, Jordan Cousins did ALL the work for him yet he still walked away with player of the year after whatever it was 18-games? I’m wondering if he’s married to The lovely Debbie McGee now?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    cafcfan said:

He absolutely bossed championship midfields. He was intercepting absolutely everything (with no pace, apparently), making through ball passes to start attacks from our own half and had incredible control of the ball. All in all, I can’t believe he was playing Cypriot first division football last year. Will take me a long time to get over that one - what happened?!

Again, I disagree. Most of his passing was sideways. He was also playing so, so deep. Invariably in acres of space because the opposition knew he would do them no damage, so they couldn't be arsed to chase him down. He looked good solely because Jordan Cousins was doing all the hard work for him. Diego was a "fur coat but no knickers" kind of player.
    Watch Jacko's famous goal against QPR again. It came from a corner, which was made by an absolutely thunderous tackle made just outside the box by Poyet, the ball fell to Ajderevic, whose shot was tipped over the bar by Green. That doesn't sound "so, so deep"...
  • Options
    edited May 2018

No way was he just strolling around casually in his own space, while Cousins did all the work, that massively devalues his contribution

We were getting ripped to pieces through the middle that season so Poyet was brought in to play a very specific, deep lying role that worked well for us. It doesn't diminish his contribution to point out that almost no one else will ask him to play so deep and that being forced to play further up the field might have contributed to his rapid decline.