Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    He won't be the last player to leave a club thinking the grass will be greener. Purely from a football perspective, it's a shame that someone with such a bright future ahead of him failed so quickly at West Ham !! He could have been quality at Charlton. BUT, with the likes of Meire and Dutchalet running the club as they were, I cannot blame him for wanting out. When he came back to us on loan I was gobsmacked at how quickly his form had dropped. Did he decide to go or did his agent look at cashing in ? Just another scar on the club left by the RD/KM regime...
  • Options
    Given the way this lads career has gone, maybe it wasn’t such a bad decision not to offer him big money to stay? If we’d given him 5 years and he’d downed tools, like he has done, it would have been a financial disaster! This was obviously more by luck than judgment though!
  • Options
    He was dreadful in his second spell here.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

Given the way this lads career has gone, maybe it wasn’t such a bad decision not to offer him big money to stay? If we’d given him 5 years and he’d downed tools, like he has done, it would have been a financial disaster! This was obviously more by luck than judgment though!

Difficult to know if not playing regular first team football against better opposition resulted in a dip in form (reserve team football isn't anywhere near as competitive or challenging) ? He was quality when he was brought in to the first team mate. Look at what happened to Darren Bent when he left us for Spurs. Once he wasn't king pin his form dropped dramatically.
  • Options
    He was a decent young player who wanted a big pay rise totally ignoring the development the club had given him, very easy to blame others and circumstances. Simply if he continued to play well Roland would want him the English shop window not in Belgium, another young player unfortunately turned by money and look how his career has bombed, no one to blame but himself.
  • Options

He was a decent young player who wanted a big pay rise totally ignoring the development the club had given him, very easy to blame others and circumstances. Simply if he continued to play well Roland would want him the English shop window not in Belgium, another young player unfortunately turned by money and look how his career has bombed, no one to blame but himself.

Not sure how you can make that assumption ? I certainly couldn't blame him for wanting out under what was and remains "a toxic and uncertain Charlton".
  • Options
    Spanish, proof is in the pudding his career has bombed, Jacko stayed as did others, he got greedy with delusions of grandeur, shame because he was a talent, I detest Roland but he is not the only reason a young man (Poyet) threw a very promising career away.
  • Options

Spanish, proof is in the pudding his career has bombed, Jacko stayed as did others, he got greedy with delusions of grandeur, shame because he was a talent, I detest Roland but he is not the only reason a young man (Poyet) threw a very promising career away.

agreed it's the risk he took. But Shelvey, Elliott, Gomez, they are all doing a lot better than having stayed.

Poyet's career has not turned out well so far but to say that's because he left is ridiculous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not contesting his career nose-diving amigo, just that we will never know the exact reason why he left. I for one couldn't blame him for leaving us. The only issue I had with him, he gave it loads that he would tell all once he left, he shouldn't have said that if he wasn't going to go through on that promise. Young and naive.

Undoubtedly a real shame that his career fell away however. Possibly tho, being told where he'd be playing under RD's supposed instruction for less money that he thought he was worth, a merry-go-round of managers and apparent club going in the wrong direction... who could possibly blame him for wanting out ?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Morrison was surely forced out?

But that was a few months after Poyet had left. Indeed Morrison signed a new contract around the time Poyet left
  • Options

agreed it's the risk he took. But Shelvey, Elliott, Gomez, they are all doing a lot better than having stayed.

Poyet's career has not turned out well so far but to say that's because he left is ridiculous.
    So you're saying players choices don't make an impact? Opinion only I know but I'm almost certain he would be doing better than playing a bit part role for some average team from Cyprus had he stayed.
  • Options

I'm really surprised at the blame Poyet is getting. I think he was stupid to think West Ham would be successful after just 20 games for us.

But come on. Do we really think, at a time when loads of our best players were being offered shit contracts or being sold, that the same didn't happen to him? Roland has had no respect for our club from day one, and clearly had no respect for the fan favourite players. Offering him a loan spell at Standard Liege highlights Roland's lack of understanding around the future of Poyet's career.

He was one of the most promising talents I've seen at Charlton, and to be honest, more promising than some that went on to do quite well in the Premier League. He has clearly made some awful decisions for his career. But I don't think leaving Charlton was one of them.

No players were forced out. Players may have moved on, but they're hardly victims, they make a career choice, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bournemouth for example offered Yann a better deal than we did. We should have offered him a better deal (a terrible decision), but it's worth noting the horrendous losses Bournemouth were incurring around this period, the following season their wages of £30m were over double their turnover of £13m, resulting in a FFP fine of £7.6m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

Bournemouth gambled everything on promotion, paying players wages they couldn't afford. It could all have gone horribly wrong.
    Bournemouth have a billionaire owner, so I think they were ok with both the fine and spending double their turnover.
  • Options

Really unfair IMO. Poyet signed a pro contract with us and was a big reason for us not being relegated in the few games he played.

For me, if you come through our youth, you owe us to sign your first pro contract with us as long as we don’t take the piss. Poyet did that. We should maybe have given him 3 years instead of two, then we would not have ended in the situation we did and his first pro contract would have been relatively low wages.

Save your ire for the likes of Defoe, Palmer, Huddart, JLSamuel etc who happily lapped up a free footballing education then paid us back by running to another club without signing a contract or playing a game for us at all. That is selfish behaviour and ultimately puts at risk a clubs entire academy structure and the chances of many young lads in the future IMO.
    That Is the nail on the head moment in this thread

The lad owed us fuck all his comments about the truth will come out was the annoying bit but I hoped he would excel and have a fantastic career

I thought he was good but not great although I witnessed him have great games, I genuinely thought there was something missing from his game that I couldn’t put my finger on

Class is permanent form temporary unfortunately for Diego he was in form at cafc
  • Options

CP would have picked him up as a free agent and got him back into shape.

That's "SCP" to you, son.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Hardly setting Cyprus alight is he? 13 starts (pulled off in 4 of those) plus eight sub appearances. Last five games: not on the bench for two, unused sub for one and came on at 55 mins and 90+2 in the other two. (And, natch, no goals in a career total 99 games.)

So not all bad then.
    Depends who by.
  • Options
    Contrast him with Carl Jenkinson who I think left when out of contract but insisted we get a decent fee. Ok he’s now on loan at Birmingham but he had plenty of opportunities at Arsenal. Could though have been too much too soon for him. My point tho is there are ways of doing things loyalty wise. Jenkinsons fee funded our promotion from League 1.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Hardly setting Cyprus alight is he? 13 starts (pulled off in 4 of those) plus eight sub appearances. Last five games: not on the bench for two, unused sub for one and came on at 55 mins and 90+2 in the other two. (And, natch, no goals in a career total 99 games.)

Blimey I only used to get half an orange at half time
    You should attribute quotes when you use them. That's Rodney Marsh's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He turned rubbish as soon as he cut his hair. Coincidence?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He turned rubbish as soon as he cut his hair. Coincidence?

Why? Why? Why?
  • Options
    razil said:

Contrast him with Carl Jenkinson who I think left when out of contract but insisted we get a decent fee. Ok he’s now on loan at Birmingham but he had plenty of opportunities at Arsenal. Could though have been too much too soon for him. My point tho is there are ways of doing things loyalty wise. Jenkinsons fee funded our promotion from League 1.

Maybe, although when Poyet left RD was in charge. Why would a young player forgo their money for it to be paid to us as a fee when the richest man in the history of the club is in charge and would just use it to pay down his own debt for a while. Not sure how genuine the Jenkinson story was either tbh.
  • Options
    I was told that Deuchbag/Meyer made him the offer of being the top top earner at the time, £13k a week to stay on, but West Ham offered more than double. Also heard from people that met the young man that he’s a bit of a cock!
    Waste of opportunity and talent, still he will never be on the dole will he!
  • Options

When you are very young, break into a team and get voted player of the year, it should be a no brainer to stay with that team rather than go somewhere where you have to establish yourself. The team for the next season would probably have been built round him. I don't understand why he didn't get better advice from his father. Maybe he was just too confident in his ability, but irrespective of it being Charlton he left, it was a recklessly stupid personal decision.

I thought it was said Guys wanted him to stay with us. He may have given him good advice, doesn’t mean he listened to it.
  • Options

I was told that Deuchbag/Meyer made him the offer of being the top top earner at the time, £13k a week to stay on, but West Ham offered more than double. Also heard from people that met the young man that he’s a bit of a cock!
    Waste of opportunity and talent, still he will never be on the dole will he!

That's pretty much how I have heard it, including him being a bit of a cock. It was also said that RD offered him to go on loan to Standard, which actually would have been one of RD's less absurd deployments of the "network". But Poyet wasn't interested, despite Standard being in Europe at the time.

I think on this one, the club did as much it could. I am much more pissed off about how they seemingly arranged an advance deal with Liverpool for Gomez for a ridiculously low fee.

• Options
    Back in England

Return maybe, TBH if he knuckles down and tries he could be brilliant for this league,

But think alot of fans would take alot of winning over

• Options
    Will be playing for Orient next season methinks.
  • Options

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he ended up at Bromley.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he ended up at Bromley.
    I think he'll be playing for a conference club too.