Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options

No so sure he wouldn't get games at Hull - haven't they got about 6 players left?

Maybe they are buying for next season, still a risk
  • Options
    Talking of Hull is @JT 's brother still there?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Talking of Hull is @JT 's brother still there?

He went out on loan to York City a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

He's flopped in the Championship why would two prem clubs want him?

Although to be fair, Poyet was a great success in his first season in the Championship. Player of the Year and all that.
    He's got a good 1st touch, tackle, passing range, etc - so not really about his ability.

That he didn't do it in the Champs last season gives the impression it's more about application and what's going on in his head.
    If he wants a decent career, he's first got to sort that out.

• Options
    He'd get a game at either Hull or Swansea... providing he proved his ability in training. Maybe he'd be better off partnering up with JJ at Newcastle if travelling isn't an issue.

Their owner may just be mad enough to sign him.
  • Options
    Hull's midfield does look light with the sale of Livermore and injury to Mason
  • Options

I have said before, I see players who come through our youth system and use the clubs facilities, coaches etc as in debt to the club. As far as I know, the club does not charge for the privilege (and it is a privilege). They give these kids the best possible chance to become successful footballers.

To me, those that make the grade then owe the club and the 'repayment' is signing a contract which allows the club to benefit either from using them as a player or selling for a profit (ideally both).

This way, the club keeps open its youth facilities for future generations to benefit in the same way.

The ones that don't make the grade, bad luck, but they have been given an opportunity to fulfil their goals and, if the club is doing the right thing, have received an education along the way too.

In that way it is much like a university really, not every graduate goes on to be successful (and not everyone graduates).

To me, those that sign a contract then (and Poyet is included in that number) have done the honourable thing and fulfilled their commitment to the club. The criticism that Poyet gets is to be completely unfair. His few performances kept us up.

Far better payback than Kasey Palmer, Ryan Huddart, JLoyd Samuel and Defoe (I know we got decent money for the later two but only because of tribunals, not their own actions). The likes of the last 4 will see professional clubs close their academies and stop opportunities for future generations because of their selfish ways.

Who are these two please?
  • Options

HandG said:

Swansea and Hull are both being linked with him now.

Agent talk?
    Probably, but iv'e seen it reported a few times now.
    His agent bunnies more than Robinson then.
  • Options
    drewman said:

I have said before, I see players who come through our youth system and use the clubs facilities, coaches etc as in debt to the club. As far as I know, the club does not charge for the privilege (and it is a privilege). They give these kids the best possible chance to become successful footballers.

To me, those that make the grade then owe the club and the 'repayment' is signing a contract which allows the club to benefit either from using them as a player or selling for a profit (ideally both).

This way, the club keeps open its youth facilities for future generations to benefit in the same way.

The ones that don't make the grade, bad luck, but they have been given an opportunity to fulfil their goals and, if the club is doing the right thing, have received an education along the way too.

In that way it is much like a university really, not every graduate goes on to be successful (and not everyone graduates).

To me, those that sign a contract then (and Poyet is included in that number) have done the honourable thing and fulfilled their commitment to the club. The criticism that Poyet gets is to be completely unfair. His few performances kept us up.

Far better payback than Kasey Palmer, Ryan Huddart, JLoyd Samuel and Defoe (I know we got decent money for the later two but only because of tribunals, not their own actions). The likes of the last 4 will see professional clubs close their academies and stop opportunities for future generations because of their selfish ways.

Kasey Palmer stood out in a youth cup game v Chelsea a few years back while only an u16. Played central midfield and had plenty of pace, skill and energy. Chelsea signed him soon after that for minimal compensation due to the rules now in place. He's now on loan at Huddersfield.

Huddart's a goalkeeper that left us for Arsenal also when he was a similar age.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

drewman said:

Kasey Palmer stood out in a youth cup game v Chelsea a few years back while only an u16. Played central midfield and had plenty of pace, skill and energy. Chelsea signed him soon after that for minimal compensation due to the rules now in place. He's now on loan at Huddersfield.

Huddart's a goalkeeper that left us for Arsenal also when he was a similar age.
    Thanks, never heard of these two. Remember the other two though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Kasey Palmer and Joe Gomez played in the game against Chelsea both were the stand out players, we had a very young side out that run out of steam after leading 2-0 lost 3-2 against a team that including Nathan Ake for Chelsea.
  • Options
    Given Poyet was released by West Ham and hasn't been picked up by any clubs for months I think his sights need to be set a bit lower than the Premier league. Still he did say we wanted a new challenge
  • Options
    Reported he has joined an Argentinian club.
  • Options

reported where?
  • Options

reported where?
    Just posted link. Give a fella a chance. :p
  • Options
    I see that Godoy Cruz play in the "Estadio Malvinas Argentinas".
  • Options
    I imagine this'll be the start of a world tour living off his Dad's name. Not saying I wouldn't do the same but I'd be shocked if he made it back to playing in any of the top leagues in Europe.
  • Options
    20th in the Argentinian Premier division, which for some reason has 30 teams in it
  • Options
    However, his name still doesnt make it onto the clubs squad list on wiki.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just looking at there matches since he joined. I can only see him on the bench for one, and otherwise his name is my mentioned at all from what I saw. What went wrong?

Also seems to be an average of 2 red cards a game in that league.
  • Options
    CP would have picked him up as a free agent and got him back into shape.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

20th in the Argentinian Premier division, which for some reason has 30 teams in it

Wasn't that done so Boca Juniors didn't really get relegated when they actually did get relegated?
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Wasn't that done so Boca Juniors didn't really get relegated when they actually did get relegated?
    You're thinking of River Plate...I think. And the latest shake up had to do with TV money...also, I think. More below, and I also recommend The Football Ramble book as they have a good explanation of this. Well, as good as one can get.

http://www.thebubble.com/the-super-league-is-the-new-competition-model-for-argentine-football/
  • Options

CP would have picked him up as a free agent and got him back into shape.

Did not do much with him when on loan at Huddersfield, before West Ham called him back!
  • Options

He's not played a single game!

Nice stadium though.
  • Options

The longer it goes on the more it looks like he was just, outrageously, fortunate to have the team set up the way it was and to have the players that he had around him in 2014.

Unless I've missed something he has, literally, failed everywhere he's been since he left us. With this being the case there is an argument that moving to West Ham for the money was the cleverest thing he ever did. If he'd stayed with us and nosedived, like it appears that he has, he might have never made enough in football to retire, let along being a millionaire before he's twenty.

There's a fair bit of truth there. Poyet was playing so deep that he always had loads of time on the ball which must have made playing further forward in other teams a big shock. I'm sure he could have adapted if he really wanted but his personal wealth and lack of family hardship can't have helped his motivation.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

He's not played a single game!

Nice stadium though.
    Not if its raining.
    Or hot and sunny.