Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:

dizzee said:

I'd like us to sign Diego back up

I wouldn't. Didn't want hm last time as I did not believe he would perform for us ... and he didn't.
    Sadly this.
  • Options
    KR seemed to speak very highly of him when he was at MK Dons - given he seems to strongly prefer to sign players he has worked with before, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back.
  • Options
    He could also flourish in KR's preferred formation. Eventual replacement for Crofts maybe
  • Options
    Roland will get him back to sell again
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Haven't we already tried that ?
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

He never sold him in the first place, Poyet let his contract run down!

His second spell with us was shocking, especially when it was Riga who had managed him successfully first time round. I can't see him returning for a 3rd spell soon
  • Options

kentred2 said:

His second spell with us was shocking, especially when it was Riga who had managed him successfully first time round. I can't see him returning for a 3rd spell soon
    We did get a development fee from Westham which we negotiated directly with them rather than letting it go to a tribunal.
  • Options

kentred2 said:

We did get a development fee from Westham which we negotiated directly with them rather than letting it go to a tribunal.
    True, but it wasn't as if we wanted to sell him (not for a measly development fee).

The contract situation RD inherited from the spivs wasn't good, with several players with contracts about to run out in the summer
  • Options
    If he actually wants to play and has kept himself fit he would walk into any League1 or lower ranked English club or any club in Scotland, he'd just need to have realistic earnings expectations. The failed move to Argentina, especially for someone part Uruguayan, was an odd one.
    He's loads better suited to playing next to Crofts in KR's current lineup than Ezri Konsa for example. Don't see it happening but given that KR preferred a less talented player to him in their recent spell together at MK, can't see them being interested in working together again now.
    We've got a pretty good idea how fond DP is of Charlton's current regime. His return would represent Roly's plan in reverse: premier league star turning out for the baby farm club.
    But what do I know - I'm just an unintelligent activist who doesn't have d cloob's interests at heart?
  • Options

kentred2 said:

True, but it wasn't as if we wanted to sell him (not for a measly development fee).

The contract situation RD inherited from the spivs wasn't good, with several players with contracts about to run out in the summer
    Agreed, and to be fair the club have been much better about signing up young players to lengthy deals since RD took over. Previous regime was awful for it.

Poyet as that defensive midfielder, with Konsa or JFC beside him and Aribo or JFC in the 10 role would be a very, very good L1 midfield IF Poyet performed. But we all know there's no guarantee of that. I'd of course take the 2014 version of him, but I'm not convinced players can switch it on and off like that. I suspect the young man needs to eat some humble pie, maybe lower his wage demands and up his work rate. It seems ridiculous that he can't find a club.

I also don't think coming back here for a third time would do him any good. We know that we're toxic, that he's hated by quite a dew here, and I just don't see us as being the ones to help him turn his career around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was rumoured to be going to Rangers in November but doesn't seem to have happened?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

dizzee said:

Haven't we already tried that ?
    We've essentially done that with Watt as well
  • Options
    KR cut short his loan spell at MK, that's why he came back to us on loan.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Addicted said:

kentred2 said:

If Katrien negotiated it we probably got a replica West Ham kit and some of Brady's second hand training cones Rampant Rabbits
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Had Potter and I think Carruthers and Powell ahead of him if memory serves. He was probably on high wages for a team with MKD's budget so if he wasn't automatic first choice he probably wasn't worth it. That said, Potter is a very decent lower league player but if you're not at least pushing him and Powerll/Carruthers for a spot then...well if shows how far he's fallen.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

PopIcon said:

Had Potter and I think Carruthers and Powell ahead of him if memory serves. He was probably on high wages for a team with MKD's budget so if he wasn't automatic first choice he probably wasn't worth it. That said, Potter is a very decent lower league player but if you're not at least pushing him and Powerll/Carruthers for a spot then...well if shows how far he's fallen.
    Diego played far more regularly for MKD than he did for us! MKD ran a very tight financial ship last season, so KR presumably felt that with his limited funds he didn't need someone in a position where he was well served (I think Potter had previously been injured)
  • Options
    Up his own backside.....a lesson for all young lads out there....don't be a greedy money grabbing xxxx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1967CAFC said:

Up his own backside.....a lesson for all young lads out there....don't be a greedy money grabbing xxxx

Or if you are, grab so much so quickly you never have to work again.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

MrOneLung said:

he fulfilled his contract.

Parker Gomez and Lookman fucked off during the course of their contracts.

Didn't hear sympathy for all the academy players and the likes of Church who the club let go once their contract was up.

Gomez and lookman were inevitable. They both signed decent contracts in order to guarantee us a decent fee but both the player and the club knew this was the best course of action for everyone concerned

Parker spat out his dummy and refused to play that's very different.

Poyet was somewhere in between the two. Of the four of them I suspect poyet has the most regret

Didn't someone on here post at the time that poyet would have been sent on loan to standard if he signed a new contract which is why he let it run out and join West Ham?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

MrOneLung said:

he fulfilled his contract.

Parker Gomez and Lookman fucked off during the course of their contracts.

Didn't hear sympathy for all the academy players and the likes of Church who the club let go once their contract was up.

Gomez and lookman were inevitable. They both signed decent contracts in order to guarantee us a decent fee but both the player and the club knew this was the best course of action for everyone concerned

Parker spat out his dummy and refused to play that's very different.

Poyet was somewhere in between the two. Of the four of them I suspect poyet has the most regret

Didn't someone on here post at the time that poyet would have been sent on loan to standard if he signed a new contract which is why he let it run out and join West Ham?
    Not sure if someone posted that or not but I'm sure he used managerial change as a reason for leaving which would rule out the loan to SL theory
  • Options
    Yes, I thought the SL loan story to be very convenient for the player and those that wanted to blame he club for everything.

I believe it was pure greed and ambition that led him to refuse to sign with us, and I can't blame the player for either. The only thing I would fault him for is lying about his reasons - and the promise to tell all then refusing to follow through. I think he made himself look a bit of a dick, truth be told.
  • Options
    I thought I heard that KM had a new contract ready for him and RD refused to sign it off
  • Options

Yes, I thought the SL loan story to be very convenient for the player and those that wanted to blame he club for everything.

I believe it was pure greed and ambition that led him to refuse to sign with us, and I can't blame the player for either. The only thing I would fault him for is lying about his reasons - and the promise to tell all then refusing to follow through. I think he made himself look a bit of a dick, truth be told.

Quite different things when football is concerned surely ?

Ultimately he had a contract with Charlton, he fulfilled his contract to us and was offered better terms elsewhere.

I don't recal anyone calling Simon Church greedy when his contract expired and he went somewhere else.
  • Options

Who knows

I've sometimes thought that SL might have been good for him, as his patient style of football feels more suited to the continental game than the more frantic British game...
  • Options
    Remember Poyet said I'm sure the stories will come out when he left, but he's never come out and told them, and I'm sure if the club dicked him about that much he wouldn't have come back here on loan.