Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017
    se9addick said:

Yes, I thought the SL loan story to be very convenient for the player and those that wanted to blame he club for everything.

I believe it was pure greed and ambition that led him to refuse to sign with us, and I can't blame the player for either. The only thing I would fault him for is lying about his reasons - and the promise to tell all then refusing to follow through. I think he made himself look a bit of a dick, truth be told.

Quite different things when football is concerned surely ?

Ultimately he had a contract with Charlton, he fulfilled his contract to us and was offered better terms elsewhere.

I don't recal anyone calling Simon Church greedy when his contract expired and he went somewhere else.
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

I'm not sure you can compare Church to Poyet. Not only was Church not offered a new deal with us but he hardly started and he didn't move up a division or increase his wages multiple times.

There is nothing wrong with not signing a new contract, not is there anything wrong with chasing the league position or the money. However, you make out as though he didn't leave Charlton when we wanted him to stay and that couldn't be further from the truth.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think the point is Poyet is vilified for leaving at end of his contract whereas no one gives a toss when it is the club who decide enough is enough when a players contract ends.

I guess because if we choose to sell X Player we can usually use the funds to buy a replacement... You cant really do that when a player sees out his contract
  • Options

Yes, I thought the SL loan story to be very convenient for the player and those that wanted to blame he club for everything.

I believe it was pure greed and ambition that led him to refuse to sign with us, and I can't blame the player for either. The only thing I would fault him for is lying about his reasons - and the promise to tell all then refusing to follow through. I think he made himself look a bit of a dick, truth be told.

the above.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Ultimately he had a contract with Charlton, he fulfilled his contract to us and was offered better terms elsewhere.

I don't recal anyone calling Simon Church greedy when his contract expired and he went somewhere else.

I'm not sure you can compare Church to Poyet. Not only was Church not offered a new deal with us but he hardly started and he didn't move up a division or increase his wages multiple times.

There is nothing wrong with not signing a new contract, not is there anything wrong with chasing the league position or the money. However, you make out as though he didn't leave Charlton when we wanted him to stay and that couldn't be further from the truth.
    Why should he stay once his contract is up just because we want him to ? What about all the players who want to stay when their contracts up but we don't want them to ?

I really don't see any problem with Poyet leaving once his contract was up.
  • Options
    I agree with most of that pist @Athletico Charlton . Poyet had to look out for himself. He played a great part in our staying up, but the contract ran out because of both parties, not just him (we could have offered a better contract sooner, but we only woke up when he became important in the first XI). Poyet made a big mistake regarding his future, but it was his to make. Besidez, he could probably see exactly what these idiots were doing behind the scenes, and moving on is what most normal employees would do.
  • Options

I agree with most of that pist @Athletico Charlton . Poyet had to look out for himself. He played a great part in our staying up, but the contract ran out because of both parties, not just him (we could have offered a better contract sooner, but we only woke up when he became important in the first XI). Poyet made a big mistake regarding his future, but it was his to make. Besidez, he could probably see exactly what these idiots were doing behind the scenes, and moving on is what most normal employees would do.

Just ask Huskaris!
  • Options

I have said before, I see players who come through our youth system and use the clubs facilities, coaches etc as in debt to the club. As far as I know, the club does not charge for the privilege (and it is a privilege). They give these kids the best possible chance to become successful footballers.

To me, those that make the grade then owe the club and the 'repayment' is signing a contract which allows the club to benefit either from using them as a player or selling for a profit (ideally both).

This way, the club keeps open its youth facilities for future generations to benefit in the same way.

The ones that don't make the grade, bad luck, but they have been given an opportunity to fulfil their goals and, if the club is doing the right thing, have received an education along the way too.

In that way it is much like a university really, not every graduate goes on to be successful (and not everyone graduates).

To me, those that sign a contract then (and Poyet is included in that number) have done the honourable thing and fulfilled their commitment to the club. The criticism that Poyet gets is to be completely unfair. His few performances kept us up.

Far better payback than Kasey Palmer, Ryan Huddart, JLoyd Samuel and Defoe (I know we got decent money for the later two but only because of tribunals, not their own actions). The likes of the last 4 will see professional clubs close their academies and stop opportunities for future generations because of their selfish ways.

The way Parker left us was shabby but at least we got a massive amount of money for him. I'd much rather that than him letting his previous contract run down and leaving us for nothing or peanuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who cares. Greedy bastards.
  • Options
    True. Parker was the reason for some of my favourite moments watching Charlton. Some of the absolute highest highs. Then left when the biggest moneybags in world football came along and threw money at him, having established himself as one of the best in England.

Lookman left after 49 odd games in League One / Championship and Gomez after, what, 20 games.

Very different scenarios although I would be careful about glorifying the later ahead of Parker as they were playing for the club in completely different scenarios and times.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Why should he stay once his contract is up just because we want him to ? What about all the players who want to stay when their contracts up but we don't want them to ?

Nor do I. I never said he had to. I said that I thought his motivation was greed and ambition. I also said that I didn't have a problem with that.

For the record, I thought the West Ham move was clever (at the time) and thought he would break into their side.

All the sh1t about 'spilling the beans' was immature - and even though he was young, he should have had someone advising him not to tweet things like that.

He, ultimately, made a mistake. His career has, probably, been put back years, and may never recover. On that basis his greed and ambition has probably reduced his total career income and might prevent him from ever being as successful as he might have been had he stayed for another season or two and enabled Charlton to benefit from a bigger transfer fee.

Ironically, a larger transfer fee often motivates the manager to play someone as he feels the need to justify he money he's spent.

So he had every right to choose to leave, and I don't have a problem with choosing to do so. I just think I it has massively backfired on him.
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Nor do I. I never said he had to. I said that I thought his motivation was greed and ambition. I also said that I didn't have a problem with that.

For the record, I thought the West Ham move was clever (at the time) and thought he would break into their side.

All the sh1t about 'spilling the beans' was immature - and even though he was young, he should have had someone advising him not to tweet things like that.

He, ultimately, made a mistake. His career has, probably, been put back years, and may never recover. On that basis his greed and ambition has probably reduced his total career income and might prevent him from ever being as successful as he might have been had he stayed for another season or two and enabled Charlton to benefit from a bigger transfer fee.

Ironically, a larger transfer fee often motivates the manager to play someone as he feels the need to justify he money he's spent.

So he had every right to choose to leave, and I don't have a problem with choosing to do so. I just think I it has massively backfired on him.
    Completely agree with all of that.
  • Options
    Wasn't Poyet joining San Lorenzo in Argentina yet missed the cut off period around August time?

Wonder why that hasn't happened again now (Unless they dont have a January Transfer Window)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

centurion said:

RedChaser said:

It must be a bit of a depressing period for the Poyet household. His dad has just been sacked for a second time in a year... Both of them are now jobless...

Don't fret for them Jessie they'll have plenty of money in the bank :wink: .
    Isn't Gus working in China now Jessie?
    A bit harsh, I've been called a few things but never a Jessie :disappointed:
    Haha. All these quotes inside quotes just too complicated for me.
  • Options
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but does anyone know where Diego is training?
  • Options

I'm a Charlton fan and if I'd been him I couldn't have gotten out the door quick enough .
    We were clearly and still are a basket case of a club and I'd say what has come out since re that c**t Roland and his minions interfering justifies getting out asap from the freaks experiment

I wish you would stop sitting on the fence Oohaah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not forgetting he then went on to slag off the club after his loan period. He was not good enough, Riga did not play him, he should have gone away and proved the club wrong. Instead I here he turned down a trial at Derby despite both McClaren and Powell trying to persuade him to.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Not forgetting he then went on to slag off the club after his loan period. He was not good enough, Riga did not play him, he should have gone away and proved the club wrong. Instead I here he turned down a trial at Derby despite both McClaren and Powell trying to persuade him to.
    Turned town a trial at Derby?! What an absolute bell.

After his performances for MK and us last year he should have snapped their hands off.
  • Options
    Swansea and Hull are both being linked with him now.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

His next decision is critical. At both Swansea and Hull he is unlikely to get games. The last thing he needs is another period of not playing football and slipping further down the chain. Far better for him to go to a club where if he applies himself he will establish himself as a first team regular and start to rebuild his career.

I do wonder exactly what's gone wrong with him. He certainly had the ability. Perhaps it all came a bit to easily early on and his name helped him beyond that ability.
  • Options

Agent talk?
  • Options
    HandG said:

Agent talk?
    Probably, but iv'e seen it reported a few times now.
  • Options

His next decision is critical. At both Swansea and Hull he is unlikely to get games. The last thing he needs is another period of not playing football and slipping further down the chain. Far better for him to go to a club where if he applies himself he will establish himself as a first team regular and start to rebuild his career.

I do wonder exactly what's gone wrong with him. He certainly had the ability. Perhaps it all came a bit to easily early on and his name helped him beyond that ability.
    Is it money or football games, he has to decide
  • Options
    Swansea seem like a better club at the moment although both have issues and look likely to drop (please one of you stay up and send the other lot down) but it does read like agent talk.

He's flopped in the Championship why would two prem clubs want him?

Sure someone will take a risk on him on a short term deal if his wages demands are too silly.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Not so sure he wouldn't get games at Hull - haven't they got about 6 players left?