Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options

cafcfan said:

He absolutely bossed championship midfields. He was intercepting absolutely everything (with no pace, apparently), making through ball passes to start attacks from our own half and had incredible control of the ball. All in all, I can’t believe he was playing Cypriot first division football last year. Will take me a long time to get over that one - what happened?!

Again, I disagree. Most of his passing was sideways. He was also playing so, so deep. Invariably in acres of space because the opposition knew he would do them no damage, so they couldn't be arsed to chase him down. He looked good solely because Jordan Cousins was doing all the hard work for him. Diego was a "fur coat but no knickers" kind of player.
    Watch Jacko's famous goal against QPR again. It came from a corner, which was made by an absolutely thunderous tackle made just outside the box by Poyet, the ball fell to Ajderevic, whose shot was tipped over the bar by Green. That doesn't sound "so, so deep"...
    it was that tackle that really made me think he would become a special player, almost exactly like steve brown's tackle at wembley, same area of the pitch etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Played a beautiful 40 yard ball to Marvin Sordell to put us 1 up at Wigan in his first game.

Surely can only be a confidence thing. It must be shot.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

He absolutely bossed championship midfields. He was intercepting absolutely everything (with no pace, apparently), making through ball passes to start attacks from our own half and had incredible control of the ball. All in all, I can’t believe he was playing Cypriot first division football last year. Will take me a long time to get over that one - what happened?!

Again, I disagree. Most of his passing was sideways. He was also playing so, so deep. Invariably in acres of space because the opposition knew he would do them no damage, so they couldn't be arsed to chase him down. He looked good solely because Jordan Cousins was doing all the hard work for him. Diego was a "fur coat but no knickers" kind of player.
    It wasn’t just keeping possession where he impressed, it me was also his tackling and intercepting. He’s probably not played as well since that run but he didn’t win POTY just by avoiding giving the ball away.
  • Options
    I thought he looked brilliant when he broke through, was gutted when he left and and am shocked by his complete lack of progress since. Guess it can happen to players where they never fulfil their early promise
  • Options
    Sam Allardyce: the man who taught Diego Poyet to not tackle...
  • Options

Sam Allardyce: the man who taught Diego Poyet to not tackle...

Quite right m8 he was dynamic off and on the ball but by the time he came back on loan was totally passive.

What a waste of a talent and maybe just over coached after he left us?
  • Options
    Has he signed for Bromley yet?
  • Options

No way was he just strolling around casually in his own space, while Cousins did all the work, that massively devalues his contribution

We were getting ripped to pieces through the middle that season so Poyet was brought in to play a very specific, deep lying role that worked well for us. It doesn't diminish his contribution to point out that almost no one else will ask him to play so deep and that being forced to play further up the field might have contributed to his rapid decline.
    Completely ignores the constant forward breaks he had that season.

I think people do devalue his contribution that season.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

No way was he just strolling around casually in his own space, while Cousins did all the work, that massively devalues his contribution

We were getting ripped to pieces through the middle that season so Poyet was brought in to play a very specific, deep lying role that worked well for us. It doesn't diminish his contribution to point out that almost no one else will ask him to play so deep and that being forced to play further up the field might have contributed to his rapid decline.
    Completely ignores the constant forward breaks he had that season.

I think people do devalue his contribution that season.
    People always try to rewrite history, Dazzler.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

Watch Jacko's famous goal against QPR again. It came from a corner, which was made by an absolutely thunderous tackle made just outside the box by Poyet, the ball fell to Ajderevic, whose shot was tipped over the bar by Green. That doesn't sound "so, so deep"...
    Loved that tackle, he absolutely smashed Nedim Onoura.
  • Options
    So has he just fallen off the map then? Thought he would get a contract somewhere.
  • Options
    Last i read he was linked with some Romanian side but i can't find anything about him actually signing
  • Options
    First saw him play when he was about 16, best player on the pitch by a country.... Thought he was going to be up there with Parker, still thought it when he went to WH, what a shame
  • Options
    Most of us suspected he'd hardly get a game at West Ham and would revert back to his level.
  • Options

Most of us suspected he'd hardly get a game at West Ham and would revert back to his level.

But he's now plunged down well below that level (which was at least a Championship player). It's not as if his decline has been injury related either
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Thought he was playing in Cyprus
  • Options
    Not listed in their current squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Not listed in their current squad.

Weird just fallen off the face of the earth!
  • Options
    Really fascinating interview and highlights a few things I don’t think many of us knew. Seems that he’s been a bit unlucky coupled with a few bad careeer choices. I have no doubt that there is at least a Championship player in there somewhere. I would think we will see him back in England soon probably at league one somewhere. I think he could do a lot worse than give Chris Powell a ring and get a trial. Think CP would be a superb mentor for Diego. Hope it goes well for him.
  • Options

Really fascinating interview and highlights a few things I don’t think many of us knew. Seems that he’s been a bit unlucky coupled with a few bad careeer choices. I have no doubt that there is at least a Championship player in there somewhere. I would think we will see him back in England soon probably at league one somewhere. I think he could do a lot worse than give Chris Powell a ring and get a trial. Think CP would be a superb mentor for Diego. Hope it goes well for him.

I think CP will be wary of him. When coach at Derby McClaren and Powell wanted Poyet and he agreed to go up for a trial but pulled out at the last minute, i think it was a really stupid reason. I think CP had put in a lot of effort to try and get the clubless Poyet there and was felt to have been let down.
  • Options
    Looked well out of his depth at Huddersfield and in his second spell with us.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Will Unwin (the Journalist) is the son of a friend of mine. He phoned me to discuss Diego and Charlton before the interview.
  • Options
    No idea what his wage demands are like (i'm sure they can't be that high if he was playing for a mid-table Cypriot side), but you'd have thought he could at least get an offer from a league one club.
  • Options
    Given we do not have a out and out defensive midfielder we should invite him back fot a trial.
  • Options
    DP won MOM the first three times he put on a first team shirt.
    Wasted talent.
  • Options
    Donny now winning