Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Englands Euro 2016 squad and chances.

Comments

• Options

Agree about Sterling. The game seemed to come so easy to him a season or two ago.

A real slog for him now. Looks a lame duck to me. Leave him at home.

Totally forgot about Sterling, says a lot to be honest. All they keep going on about is he runs with the ball but there's never any real end product. Unless we are to play on the break the whole time, he doesn't add as much as he used to. Maybe a break and come back refreshed to push on next season will be best?
  • Options
    I would leave Drinkwater and Sterling out of the 23.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2016
    England more entertaining to watch than usual due to attacking verve, but quality teams will expose the poor defence. It is possible to enjoy the games and victories without getting caught up in the usual pre competition hype 'England have a chance of winning the whole competition' then it can still be an entertaining competition to watch.
  • Options
    Sterling is the only natural left midfielder in the squad, you have to take him for that reason alone. None of the rest have even played left midfield more than 5 times this season.

Barkley, Sturridge and Delph would miss out for me.
  • Options
    I believe that Delph is already out?

Barkley is a definite out for me, as he has been poor for the last few months, and I am never sure what kind of player he is trying to be? Is he a genuine midfielder, a guy that plays wide and drifts in or is he a number ten that plays off the front?

To me he is the kind of player that looks good when you are 2-0 up at home, but is generally ineffective when its going the wrong way.

I would take Drinkwater over Wilshere or Henderson, simply on the grounds of fitness and form. However given that Roy is an uber conservative coach, I expect Drinkwater to miss out entirely.
  • Options
    If Delph is one of the players already out then I'd remove both Barkley and Sterling.

We talk about players being on Form and we talk about the fact that Wilshere has barely played this season yet since coming into the squad he's barely put a foot wrong... On the other hand Barkley and Sterling have been dreadful and maybe leaving those two out wouldnt be a bad thing for the future, it would be a kick up the backside for their development to prove to them that they're not a shoe in for the squad.

On the other hand Townsend came on against Australia and looked impressive.
  • Options
    Much as I'd like to see Drinkwater make it the squad doesn't need all four of him, Dier, Wilshere and Henderson. Dier is nailed on and Hodgson is not going to drop either of the other two. So, sadly I think Danny boy is a goner. Assuming Delph is gone it's one of Townsend, Barkley, Sturridge, Rashford or Sterling. I personally don't think Rashford is ready for this but. I suspect Barclay may get the boot. Probably deservedly as he's been rubbish this season. Mind you, so has sterling. Hmmmm.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SDAddick said:

I'd hate to see it be Sturridge, he's so talented, and he has the quality to change a game with his sheer ability.

I would have said Rashford up until recently, but I'm somewhat intrigued by playing him on the left in the Wellbeck role. The wank-a-thon that was Friday's match was all way too over the top for me, and I'm still not entirely convinced by him, but I think he has a decent case. Would take a half fit Sturridge over him in a heartbeat.

Personally, I'd drop Townsend and Walker, as previously stated. I thought Drinkwater was dreaful playing on the left side of a diamond against Australia. That being said, it's not a natural position for him.

Walker wont get dropped... Who do you put at Right-Back if something happens to Clyne...?

We dont have enough Defenders for the cover as you'd be forced to play either Stones or Smalling out there which means all three Centre-Backs will be playing and if one of those then gets injured we'd be screwed.

Hodgson hasn't taken enough Defenders for any to be dropped whilst I reckon his decision on Rashford going was dependant on whether he scored against Australia... Because he's done that we'll now either take five Strikers or Sturridge will be dropped if he's not fit enough
  • Options
    Can't believe I've read that someone would drop Walker!!!!!

Madness.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sterling has played pretty well in both friendlies he'll definitely be in the squad.

I'd leave out Delph, Barkley and if Sturridge is fit then Drinkwater.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would leave out Delphe, Barkley & Sturridge, but I think he will leave out Delphe, Barkley & Drinkwater
  • Options

Can't believe I've read that someone would drop Walker!!!!!

Madness.

I just don't rate him very highly! Would put Stones or Dier at RB if something happened to Clyne. Drinkwater could come in to the center of midfield in that set-up, of Cahill into CB. Henderson played there against...Slovenia(?) and did a solid attacking job as well. But FA, I agree, Roy won't drop him, and I can't say I blame him. Me, I'm a fiery, take no prisoners type manager, the English press will eat me alive when I get the job.*

As said above, unless Sturridge is actively injured, I would take him. He is a special player who can change a game with 15-20 minutes. Would really like to see him and Kane start up front with a midfield diamond (Dier, Wilshere, Henderson, Alli) against Portugal. For as much as Henderson is maligned at times, and not wrongly, he plays that shuttling role very well, and would be a natural fit on the right side of a diamond.

I suspect Rashford will go, if nothing else than to make up the numbers with five strikers. If he can play the Wellbeck role on the left, then he's a great addition and might end up starting games or getting off the bench more frequently. I'm not convinced he can, which means he'll be behind some combination of Vardy, Kane, Sturrdige, and potentially Rooney for the striker/left attacking role.

Sterling wasn't great against Australia, but he started up front with Rashford, with Lallana in the #10 role and a very mediocre midfield diamond behind them. That's not a team we're likely to see again.

In the end it'll be Townsend and Drinkwater I suspect. Dinkwater probably had to unseat Henderson or Wilshere, either through fitness or form in training/friendlies. He looked lost on the left side of the diamond, not necessarily his fault given that's not his natural position. Hodgson clearly feels Dier can play as his holding midfielder, and I guess sees Wilshere as cover there (though he was dreadful against Australia, constantly getting sucked out of position).

Interesting read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/30/daniel-sturridge-england-euro-2016-squad
  • Options
    Drinkwater and Townsend left out. Rashford in.
  • Options
    Do we know what sort of time it is getting announced?
  • Options
    Cannot believe Wilshere is going and Drinkwater isn't. Crazy decision based on league performance and fitness, which are pretty much the only things we have to go on!
  • Options
    Said before and I stand by my statement. I will support England this summer of course but I have lost respect for Roy, what's the point in players playing well all season to get left out for players who have more of a well known name in the game?

Wouldn't have taken Rashford and definitely would've taken Drinkwater at least.

People will be moaning if Wilshere gets injured against Russia for example, he should've taken Drinkwater.

In my opinion, ridiculous decision.
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

Cannot believe Wilshere is going and Drinkwater isn't. Crazy decision based on league performance and fitness, which are pretty much the only things we have to go on!

Must be joking? A 50% fit Wilshere is still one of our best players.
  • Options
    I'd have kept Drinkwater and Townsend ahead of Barkley and Sterling.

Dont think there is a place in the Squad for Barkley as Alli / Rooney / Lallana can all do the role of No.10 better.

Same with Sterling... On recent performances I reckon that Townsend / Rashford / Vardy have all been better than him!!

On the other hand the Holding Midfielder role isnt that secure... You've got Dier (Could be forced to drop into Defence) / Wilshere or Henderson (Neither are fully fit)... By taking Drinkwater he'd have been backup but would be the safe bet over injury concerns, especially as it Defensively where we seem the most fragile at the moment
  • Options
    Gutted for drinkwater what the f*ck more has a man got to do?! Pure snobbery. If he had played for Arsenal this season he would be first choice. Hodgson has got it wrong for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love the quote from Sky I've just read:

Drinkwater, who enjoyed a sensational season with Leicester, has not done enough to secure a place in the final 23-man squad.

Yeah sorry mate... You were one of the main reasons that Leicester won the title in what is the biggest underdog story ever to have happened yet you needed to do more to ensure your place at the Euros... I mean how the hell can you do more than that???
  • Options
    I think Barkley is very lucky to go. I would have definitely taken Townsend who offers something different. Tough on Drinkwater as well after the season he has had, but I can understand why he has been left out.
  • Options
    How has Barkley gotten into the squad? Such an overrated player. Was dreadful in the friendlies too.
  • Options
    Agree with taking Rashford, gives us options in the absence of Wellbeck. If DW had been fit no one would even have been having the 4vs5 forwards discussion.

Disagree on Drinkwater. Think he's a better player than Henderson regardless of fitness and Wilshire's fitness is now a huge concern with limited cover for him.

I'd have taken Townsend too. Not a world beater but a genuine winger which we lack.

I'd have left out Henderson or Wilshire on fitness grounds and Barkley on form.
  • Options

How has Barkley gotten into the squad? Such an overrated player. Was dreadful in the friendlies too.

His issue is like Tony Watt... the idiots dont look up enough to pick a pass!!
  • Options
    Taking nothing away from Rashford... I think he deserves to go
  • Options
    The 1-11 squad numbers are possibly significant: 1 Hart 2 Walker 3 Rose 4 Milner 5 Cahill 6 Smalling 7 Sterling 8 Lallana 9 Kane 10 Rooney 11 Vardy.

i really hope that isnt out starting line up.
  • Options
    Gutted for Drinkwater, what more can you do to be picked for your country? Sit on your ass all year like Wilshere and stroll in.

Would of left out Sterling, Sturridge, Wilshere, Henderson and on current form Barkley before I dropped Drinkwater and Townsend
  • Options
    good point this

To which Sean Crossey adds: “Surely it’s dangerous to only take one recognised Defensive Midfielder to a tournament? Especially as it’s a position very vulnerable to picking up bookings and suspensions. If that happens to Dier or he gets injured not having Drinkwater is a huge oversight.”