Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Englands Euro 2016 squad and chances.

Comments

• Options

good point this

To which Sean Crossey adds: “Surely it’s dangerous to only take one recognised Defensive Midfielder to a tournament? Especially as it’s a position very vulnerable to picking up bookings and suspensions. If that happens to Dier or he gets injured not having Drinkwater is a huge oversight.”

Trouble is Roy sees Wilshere as being good enough to play there. It doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Barkley is very lucky being in ahead of Drinkwater and Townsend.

Apart from that I don't disagree with it much.

Still think we'll get through the group but struggle afterwards - the defence is the issue.
  • Options

Simon Church has made the Wales Squad for the Euros.

Only on the basis that he's Welsh. Churchino and Bale up front.
  • Options

CAFCdamo said:

Cannot believe Wilshere is going and Drinkwater isn't. Crazy decision based on league performance and fitness, which are pretty much the only things we have to go on!

Must be joking? A 50% fit Wilshere is still one of our best players.
    I think he's a decent player but he has not played much this season and is still just recovering from injury so doesn't deserve to go ahead of someone who played a huge part in Leicester winning the league. Drinkwater has been better than Wilshere, Henderson and Barkley this season and thus deserves to go. Do you really think Wilshere deserves to go ahead of Drinkwater?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

A coward? I think he's a traitor. Leaving out a Leicester player - sack him now before he does it again, and throw him in the Tower just to be sure

Easy way out for him. Ignores the form, goes with the reputations.

That makes him a coward.
  • Options
    It isn't about who deserves to go. It's about who the manager thinks will offer the best options. Does Danny Simpson deserve to go coz he won the league?
  • Options

Simon Church has made the Wales Squad for the Euros.

He'll probably come off the bench against England and score the winner!
  • Options
    Anyway, I think Drinkwater might have been harshly done by, sure, but there's a reason the manager picks the squad, not the newspapers or some infernal national ballot poll
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCdamo said:

CAFCdamo said:

Cannot believe Wilshere is going and Drinkwater isn't. Crazy decision based on league performance and fitness, which are pretty much the only things we have to go on!

I think he's a decent player but he has not played much this season and is still just recovering from injury so doesn't deserve to go ahead of someone who played a huge part in Leicester winning the league. Drinkwater has been better than Wilshere, Henderson and Barkley this season and thus deserves to go. Do you really think Wilshere deserves to go ahead of Drinkwater?
    I agree drinkwater has had a good season and wilshere has been out for most of it, but as a player wilshere is streets ahead of drinkwater. He looked fit and class in the games at the end of the season and the friendlies so for me its a no-brainer taking wilshere.
  • Options
    CAFCdamo said:

CAFCdamo said:

It's not just this season that he hasn't played much though, he was out for lots of the 2014/15 season too.
  • Options
    Same old, ignore form and fitness and go for the name.

Townsend, Defoe and Drinkwater were in hot form before the end of the season and they are cut for players struggling with injury, playing time and form.

That defence....ouch
  • Options
    I'd venture to say that Henderson and Wilshere might have had decent seasons with Kanté next to them. Drinkwater has been excellent sure but it's not like this is a particularly stupendous omission
  • Options
    And yeah, I'd have picked him
  • Options

Leuth said:

It isn't about who deserves to go. It's about who the manager thinks will offer the best options. Does Danny Simpson deserve to go coz he won the league?

Who mentioned winning the league???

Danny Drinkwater has been the best English holding midfielder in the Premiership for the last 9 months.
    Wasn't Kante Leicester's holding midfielder? Drinkwater is more in the Henderson mould, the all round midfielder.

Defence looks weak, the lack of a 4th CB still looks a weakness, but I'm struggling to think of someone who deserves to go. Jagielka has had a poor season, similarly Shawcross and Phil Jones.
    Scott Dann?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    We have got to be the only nation out of the so called top European sides who take players who have only played 3 games in a season and not someone who has been one of the best midfielders in the league

Any other nation would be laughing at us for this and would be going mental if they done the same thing.

People will argue about Wilshere's natural ability but the fact is he hasn't done it for ages due to injuries and not playing.

What's the point in taking Barkley when you have Alli, Rooney, Lallana and even Sterling to play in that role.

When he get knocked out of the Euro's because we will have conceded too many goals and because we would've taken players who aren't in form and haven't played much in the last year, it'll be down to Roy.

Roy is a coward.
  • Options
    Well at least we have 7 players who can play in full back positions. Should be sorted there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defence looks weak and will concede goals. If we get out the group we will get knocked out in the last 16 as always.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Anyway, I think Drinkwater might have been harshly done by, sure, but there's a reason the manager picks the squad, not the newspapers or some infernal national ballot poll

This was the same attitude I had from the ages of 5-16 about football.

"Can't criticise too much as they know best".

Since then I have seen Karel Fraeye play things such as the 3-1-6 formation and I feel comfortable criticising now.

Danny Drinkwater not going to the Euros, yet Barkley going, is a complete load of bollocks and Hodgson has f*cked that up.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sage said:

We have got to be the only nation out of the so called top European sides who take players who have only played 3 games in a season and not someone who has been one of the best midfielders in the league

Any other nation would be laughing at us for this and would be going mental if they done the same thing.

Germany are taking Schweinsteiger, who hasn't been fit for two months. Wilshere is coming back into fitness, whereas Schweinsteiger....

There was a mention of Spain taking Aduritz and not Diego Costa. Aduritz scored in the March friendlies, and generally looked like he linked up well within the team. Spain aren't overly blessed with center forwards, especially with Alcacer out injured. The team has never looked comfortable with the Brazilian Costa up front, his style of play is far too different to the rest of the team. So yes, in some ways it's picking on form (though Costa finished the season decently), but it's more picking on who fits into the squad and style of play. Wilshere and Henderson, for their strengths and weaknesses, fit in to the style of play more than Drinkwater. What it takes to succeed in the Premier League, notable hitting long diagonals to Jamie Vardy, is not the same as what it takes to do well at international level.

Also, Drinkwater is a holding midfield, but not a defensive midfielder. as mentioned above, he's a bit more similar to Henderson (though with a better range of passing) than he is to Dier.

This is a very good, young, England squad evidenced by the fact that the argument surrounds a couple players who may not make it off the bench. Calling Hodgson a coward is ridiculous.

All this said, I'm still unconvinced by the 4-4-2 diamond. Admittedly it was poorly executed against Australia with a hodgpodge of players, but I fear it makes the team too narrow, makes is difficult to press, and bunches the players in possession, meaning they brick it a bit and more often to lose the ball.
  • Options

I'd have kept Drinkwater and Townsend ahead of Barkley and Sterling.

Dont think there is a place in the Squad for Barkley as Alli / Rooney / Lallana can all do the role of No.10 better.

Same with Sterling... On recent performances I reckon that Townsend / Rashford / Vardy have all been better than him!!

On the other hand the Holding Midfielder role isnt that secure... You've got Dier (Could be forced to drop into Defence) / Wilshere or Henderson (Neither are fully fit)... By taking Drinkwater he'd have been backup but would be the safe bet over injury concerns, especially as it Defensively where we seem the most fragile at the moment

1000% THIS. We get an injury at centre half and Dier has to play there, Drinkwater MUST play. Best in his position this year in the Premiership. Has an indifferent game at left midfield of a diamond against Australia and he gets dropped. Compared to Sterling and Barkley who have done NOTHING for the last six months!
  • Options
    Drinkwater CAN'T play as he wasn't selected.

Dier's decent cover for the centre halves. He scored a lovely diving header last week.
  • Options
    I can understand the likes of Drinkwater being left out. Underdogs always underperforming in the Euros. Apart from Greece of course. Oh, and Denmark...
  • Options

Defence looks weak and will concede goals. If we get out the group we will get knocked out in the last 16 as always.

Sadly I just don't think we have any better at the moment.
  • Options
    Drinkwater looked pretty poor in the friendlies. Yes he played well and winning the league was a fantastic achievement but take him out of the Leicester team (and most particularly remove Kante from the equation) and he's just not good enough to be picked.
  • Options
    Drinkwater was very solid in his first friendly, struggled in the second. Compared to Barkley and Sterling who are going, in positions we have plenty of cover, he's been unlucky to be left out!