Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Englands Euro 2016 squad and chances.

Comments

• Options

Townsend, Rashford & Delph will be the 3 to get bombed.

Agree with this. Can't understand the fuss being made by some people over him not picking Defoe. The guy is 33 and won't get a kick anyway. Hodgson is clearly only going to take 4 strikers (Rooney, Vardy, Kane and Sturridge) to the Euro's so there's no harm at all in giving Rashford some experience of the senior squad.

Only question mark i'd raise is how you can pick Delph over say someone like Noble who's been in great form this season. And yes i know Wilshere has barely played too but you have to take him as he's definitely one of our best midfielders.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

See that makes no sense. If you are justifying Wilshere then it justifies Delph. Delph has been excellent in the England games he has played. Personally I'd rather have neither. Wilshere is massively overrated and has started 1 game this season and Delph hasn't played enough either. However, when the answer to these problems is Mark Noble then it shows the depth of quality for English players is very thin at the moment.

I wouldn't have Noble within 1,000 miles of the squad, but ahead of him you have Dier, Wilshere, Henderson, Alli, Barkley, Drinkwater, Delph, Lallana, Milner, Ox, Shelvey. It's not a bad amount of depth.
  • Options
    How Defoe has not got in the squad is beyond me. Having a laugh with Delph , Townsend and Wilshere too.
  • Options
    One International class defender in Smalling, the rest are average/inexperiened/ better at going forward than defending. A shame because we look good in midfield & attack.
  • Options
    Wilshere is not match-fit and so has no place in the squad; Delph and Townshend aren't International standard; Sterling shouldn't even be in the squad on form.
    Quarter - finals at best, then the usual capitulation.
    In vino veritas
  • Options

Weakest England defensive squad in living memory?

Rio World Cup part 2..Wales and Russia to qualify from our group after some nice football from England results in only two score draws but we are unlucky to concede a 94th minute penalty against the Welsh after a frustrated Rooney chops down Bale in the penalty box.

Roy is subsequently re-appointed for another 15 years to continue the pretty & pointless football project and Rooney is retained as Captain because of his superb leadership skills and ability to inspire others.

Absolute joke.
  • Options
    I think we have a chance of both doing well and badly. You can make an argument both ways - but a lot will depend on the form we take into the tournament and the refereeing.
  • Options

Rio World Cup part 2..Wales and Russia to qualify from our group after some nice football from England results in only two score draws but we are unlucky to concede a 94th minute penalty against the Welsh after a frustrated Rooney chops down Bale in the penalty box.

Roy is subsequently re-appointed for another 15 years to continue the pretty & pointless football project and Rooney is retained as Captain because of his superb leadership skills and ability to inspire others.

Absolute joke.

You realise we can still qualify third dont you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is if Kane and vArdy are allowed to play - the rest, barring possibly Ali, I'd the usual array of not quite good enoughs when it comes to the business end of an international tournament - reality will see Rooney shoe horned in and that will b that - home after the group stage
  • Options
    Probably a waste of time speculating as everyone will get bombed to smitherines by Isis
  • Options

Absolute joke.

You realise we can still qualify third dont you?
    Ah..good point..sorry...England struggle through in third place but after Rooney is sent home after being sent off against Wales, the young England Lions find their roar and play without fear, storming to a classic final against Germany, recreating the famous fixture from fifty years ago.

Come one boys..this can be our year etc etc (yawn.. when does the snooker start?)
  • Options
    pass the rope...
  • Options
    Spain have left Diego Costa, Juan Mata and Fernando Torres out of their squad
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    SDAddick said:

colthe3rd said:

See that makes no sense. If you are justifying Wilshere then it justifies Delph. Delph has been excellent in the England games he has played. Personally I'd rather have neither. Wilshere is massively overrated and has started 1 game this season and Delph hasn't played enough either. However, when the answer to these problems is Mark Noble then it shows the depth of quality for English players is very thin at the moment.

I wouldn't have Noble within 1,000 miles of the squad, but ahead of him you have Dier, Wilshere, Henderson, Alli, Barkley, Drinkwater, Delph, Lallana, Milner, Ox, Shelvey. It's not a bad amount of depth.
    You're just naming midfielders there and not even ones that play in the same position as Noble. Just because someone is English and plays in the PL doesn't necessarily mean they are International standard. My point still stands. The midfield (along with practically the whole squad) picks itself, purely based on the fact that there isn't the required depth (see Wilshere and Delph being in there when had a similar level player who had been playing well all season would have been included instead).

I'm not intentionally being negative about England, in fact I am quite excited about this summer. There are some exciting young/new talents in there. I don't necessarily think we will go deep in the tournament based on the lack of depth we have but I think there will be some enjoyable moments.
  • Options

Think we have a great chance. I'm German btw.

Ahhh so your Ricky Otto von Bismarck?
  • Options
    I'd like to see Danny Drinkwater in the holding midfield role. Unfashionable because he plays for Leicester but he's been the best player in that position all season. I'm sure Jack Wheelchair will play instead though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weakest squads I have seen at a big tournament in a while. Spain looks like some strange selections have been made.

France and Belgium squads look good.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Due to injuries Italy have no Verratti, Marchisio, Darmian or Perin. That's them ruled out then.
  • Options
    Always been quite impressed with Mark Noble when I have seen him this year, certainly unlucky not to be in ahead of Delph, who hasn't performed all year.

Was listening to some journo's talk about Carroll, and they all seemed to agree that the main thing holding him back was that the feeling among the coaching staff is that international referees don't like players like him, in that they are forever blowing up for fouls against them.

Apparently that is one of the reason's why Crouch struggled so much for selection, despite his good record - he gave away more fouls than the centre backs!

I had never really thought about it that way before, but it kind of makes sense.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Due to injuries Italy have no Verratti, Marchisio, Darmian or Perin. That's them ruled out then.

Tbf their preliminary squad doesn't include any Juve or Milan players at the moment. They still have quite a bit of talent available so I wouldn't necessarily rule them out of anything.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Weakest squads I have seen at a big tournament in a while. Spain looks like some strange selections have been made.

France could actually field 2 separate XI's and both would have a strong chance of winning it, some amazing talent in their squad.

And they haven't even picked the likes of Benzema, Valbuena, Lacazette, Schneiderlin, ben Arfa, Gameiro, Rabiot, Zouma (injured), Nasri.
  • Options

dizzee said:

France could actually field 2 separate XI's and both would have a strong chance of winning it, some amazing talent in their squad.

And they haven't even picked the likes of Benzema, Valbuena, Lacazette, Schneiderlin, ben Arfa, Gameiro, Rabiot, Zouma (injured), Nasri.
    I'm not sure that playing Valbuena and Benzema in the same team would be such a good idea.
  • Options

dizzee said:

I'm not sure that playing Valbuena and Benzema in the same team would be such a good idea.
    Oh the French national team and their lack of French names is hilarious!
  • Options

I prefer Duke of Lauenburg.
  • Options

I prefer Duke of Lauenburg.
    Would someone please sink this now!!