Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Englands Euro 2016 squad and chances.

Comments

• My guess is:

Hart
    Forster
    Heaton
    Walker
    Clyne
    Rose
    Bertrand
    Cahill
    Stones
    Smalling
    Wilshire
    Henderson
    Drinkwater or Delph or Lallana
    Milner
    Sterling
    Barkley
    Dier
    Alli
    Townsend or Rashford or Lallana
    Sturridge
    Kane
    Rooney
    Vardy

No a bad shout at all!

Agreeing with your own posts though isnt the best sign
  • MrLargo said:

Laddick01 said:

Rashford really? Gotta be at least 3/4 better options in terms of offering something different.

Waste of a space. Can't imagine Rashford will be used unless there's an injury crisis or to give him a run out if we're 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go. Would have preferred Carroll or Walcott, despite their various shortcomings.
    Provisional squad
  • My guess is:

Hart
    Forster
    Heaton
    Walker
    Clyne
    Rose
    Bertrand
    Cahill
    Stones
    Smalling
    Wilshire
    Henderson
    Milner
    Sterling
    Barkley
    Dier
    Alli
    Sturridge
    Kane
    Rooney
    Vardy

No a bad shout at all!

Agreed.
  • Think Antonio is unlucky to miss out. Also think Carroll would have provided something different.

So much for picking players in form Roy!
  • My guess is:

Hart
    Forster
    Heaton
    Walker
    Clyne
    Rose
    Bertrand
    Cahill
    Stones
    Smalling
    Wilshire
    Henderson
    Milner
    Sterling
    Barkley
    Dier
    Alli
    Sturridge
    Kane
    Rooney
    Vardy

No a bad shout at all!

Agreed.
    I agree with this.
  • Townsend, Rashford & Delph will be the 3 to get bombed.
  • edited May 2016
    Have a feeling it will be Rashford, Delph and Bertrand that will miss out. Purely because clyne can play left back and there are options to cover at RB
  • Have a feeling it will be Rashford, Delph and Bertrand that will miss out. Purely because clyne can play left back and there are options to cover at RB

I think most agree it'll be rashford and delph, but the other is quite a close call.
  • Sterling / Townsend / Delph are the three I'd like to see dropped as I'd love to see England use the ball rather than rely on pace (Hence the first two).

If not the above three then Sterling / Rashford / Delph are the ones I'd like to see dropped

Yet see it being Drinkwater / Rashford / Delph that dont make the squad
  • Sponsored links:

• Have a feeling it will be Rashford, Delph and Bertrand that will miss out. Purely because clyne can play left back and there are options to cover at RB

Can't see us going with just 1 left back. Bertrand won't be dropped. The 3 will be 1 of the strikers and 2 midfielders (assuming no injuries between now and then).
  • colthe3rd said:

Have a feeling it will be Rashford, Delph and Bertrand that will miss out. Purely because clyne can play left back and there are options to cover at RB

Can't see us going with just 1 left back. Bertrand won't be dropped. The 3 will be 1 of the strikers and 2 midfielders (assuming no injuries between now and then).
    Rashford, Delph and Townsend nailed on. Not sure why they're there in the first place. Taking Rashford over Defoe is mental imo.
  • colthe3rd said:

Rashford, Delph and Townsend nailed on. Not sure why they're there in the first place. Taking Rashford over Defoe is mental imo.
    I disagree. Good chance he will be a part of future squads so good experience. Defoe, whilst having had a decent season, is he better than the player who played just about ok for England 8 years ago?

As most agree barring any injuries Rashford won't go so why not just chuck him in the squad? I don't see the problem with it. Even if he did end up going to the tournament, he'd hardly play anyway.
  • Delph (who I commented about earlier) and Wilshere were both 1st choice in 2014/15, while Townsend also played regularly for England as well, so it's clear that Roy is prepared to give them a chance

Walcott will be gutted to not even make the provisional squad, but can't complain as he has had a very poor season.
  • Can't bloody wait for Rooney to retire. It will be a great day.

Yeah - bloody all time record England goalscorer.

Whats he ever done.
    Past it now imo plus he's already said he wants to play as a holding midfielder?? What's the sense in taking a striker that wants to play as a holding midfielder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRFerImV2zw
  • Can't bloody wait for Rooney to retire. It will be a great day.

Been playing really well for Man Utd in midfield getting quite a few assists. Will be interesting to see how he does there in the friendlies. Until then I wouldn't judge.
  • ChiAddick said:

Can't bloody wait for Rooney to retire. It will be a great day.

Been playing really well for Man Utd in midfield getting quite a few assists. Will be interesting to see how he does there in the friendlies. Until then I wouldn't judge.
    This is what I mean. He's a midfielder now but where does he fit in with the midfield we have? He doesn't imo.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36257891

Nice BBC quiz on former England squad announcements
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilshere? Glass ankles hardly played all season?
    Might get 10 mins out of him.
  • give rooney a whirl in the freindlies if he doesnt perform drop him but we all know that wont happen.
  • I actually like the squad, give Rashford some experience with the squad but he probably won't go so that's fine. A lot of central midfielders in the provisional squad to see how they do in the friendlies (where we have the most injury concerns) and only taking 3 cbs rather than a pointless 4th who would have been someone who has been terrible this season (Jagielka).
  • I would have had Defoe as the back up Striker over Rashford but just pleased it was not Carroll or Walcott.

A little nervous about only taking three CBs though.
  • I would have had Defoe as the back up Striker over Rashford but just pleased it was not Carroll or Walcott.

A little nervous about only taking three CBs though.

Dier can drop in if needed.
  • I actually prefer the prospect of Dier and Smalling as CB's rather than Cahill or Stones! The thought of either of them coming up against Griezmann/Bale/Muller/Lewandowski/Hazard/Church/Gudjohnsen scares me.
  • Can't really complain too much about the squad other than only taking 3Cbs.

Dier can play Cb but he's a starting midfielder and someone we need in his best position.
  • edited May 2016
    Bertrand also played in CB for Southampton, and was decent.

I think Walker, Delph, and Rashford will drop out (assuming Henderson is fit). Dier and Stones can play RB pretty naturally. Henderson has played there in an attacking role. Delph is a decent water carrying midfielder, can get up and back, can tackle, pass a bit, but Wilshere and Henderson both take up similar positions but are an upgrade on him. If Henderson isn't fit, he's a decent replacement in that hopefully neither will play much with a midfield of Dier, Wilshere, and Alli. As for Rashford, doesn't offer anything England don't already have, but one for the future. Kane, Vardy, and Sturridge are three very good, in form strikers to take to a tournament.

I know that the England squad is always met with a good whinge, but there are around 20 players in the squad that pick themselves on form and ability. It's a pretty decent looking, if somewhat young, team. Probably the strongest 23 England has taken to a tournament since Euro 2004.