Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Englands Euro 2016 squad and chances.

Comments

• Think we'll win it
  • dizzee said:

Think we'll win it

hopefully shut the Leicester brigade up.
  • My eleven

Hart

Clyne
    Stones
    Smalling
    Rose

Dier
    Drinkwater
    Alli

Rooney
    Kane
    Vardy

Would prefer Sterling to Rooney, but it won't happen.

Options in Llalana, Walcott, Wilshere, Welbeck, Barkley.

• Squad us 24 now so no need for utility man Milner.

We know Roy likes a 433 or a 4231 so expect one of those. My squad would be

GK: Hart, Forster, Foster,

DEF: Rose, Walker, Clyne, Bertrand, Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Jagielka

MID: Barkley, Ali, Wilshere, Dier, Sterling, Lallana, Henderson, Drinkwater

STR: Welbeck, Sturridge, Vardy, Kane, Rooney

I think that is a a winger light but a) I have no clue who would go, Albrighton? Ox? Not sure..

b) they will end up playing Welbeck and Vardy out wide in a 433 /4231

I am tempted to leave Sturridge out for a winger as he wouldn't play out wide or behind the striker as Welbeck/Rooney can and Vardy/Kane are are ahead of him for the 'leading the line' role.

The only reason Wilshere is there as we need one more who can play the holding role/ proper CM role and we don't have anyone else. Shelvey?

I would line up:

Hart
    Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
    Dier Drinkwater
    Lallana Ali Welbeck
    Kane

Dier holding, Drinky doing box to box as he does for Leicester. Ali able to drop back if we want to go 433. Vardy as an impact sub.
  • With the lack of cover at CB, Dier may be used as a CB at some stage of the tournament. Either way the defence is our weak area, lets hope Joe Hart puts in some great performances!

In terms of tiredness, the Spurs players have played a lot of games, but Poch gets them supremely fit. The Liverpool players have played a few extra European games as well, but have been rotated a bit. Sterling doesn't play regularly, Welbeck had a long injury break, while the Leicester players have basically played just the 38 league games so should be fresh (and buzzing!)
  • Fifty years of hurt never stopped me dreaming....
  • Milner is a must for me in the squad. Think he's massively underrated. Another unreal delivery in open play just now for Liverpool.
  • Milner is a must for me in the squad. Think he's massively underrated. Another unreal delivery in open play just now for Liverpool.

He's been playing well these last few weeks.
  • Daniel Sturridge has scored 5 goals in his last 7 appearances for Liverpool across all competitions.

He's been playing well these last few weeks.
    Klopp keeping him central and making him skipper has worked wonders
  • Sponsored links:

• If Wilshere's fit he has to go. No other player offers what he does in that position and is the closest thing England have to a 'European' style player. The naysayers are just anti-Arsenal as opposed to being against Wilshere.
  • If Wilshere's fit he has to go. No other player offers what he does in that position and is the closest thing England have to a 'European' style player. The naysayers are just anti-Arsenal as opposed to being against Wilshere.

Because he likes a sneaky ciggie?
  • Hart Foster Forster
    Clyne Walker Cahill Smalling Stones Jagielka Rose Bertrand
    Dier Barkley Lallana Alli Drinkwater Sterling Oxlade-Chamberlain Welbeck
    Kane Vardy Rooney Sturridge

Hart
    Dier Alli
    Vardy Barkley Lallana
    Kane

Or

Hart
    Dier
    Alli Barkley
    Rooney
    Vardy Kane

In a midfield diamond, which Roy has used in a couple of recent games
  • out there for russia and wales cant wait. think we will get to qauters certainly our best chance for a long time.
  • Hodgson is a manager whose priority is safety first and setting up not to lose games - England to limp out of the group stage before being eliminated in the first knockout round
  • Looks like Welbeck wont be playing a part. Gutted.
  • It's unfortunate for him but I wouldn't actually mind if gambles on Rashford now..
  • edited May 2016
    Rumoured leaked squad for the Euros:

Rose and Walker only making the stand-by list is a mistake if true. Luke Shaw making the squad over them would be a terrible decision.
  • Can't see that being true - Luke Shaw would've needed at least a couple of games under his belt since the injury to be considered.
  • Defoe anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• No way will walker and rose only be on standby. And I would be amazed if Shaw is selected and indeed Noble on the Standby list.
  • No Welbeck! I'll drink to that! Let the worthy strikers play!
  • I'm sure I heard that the squads were now 24 not 23? Hence you can take 8 defenders so lose Shaw add Rose and Walker. Also no need for Utility man Milner so take a winger.
  • No Welbeck! I'll drink to that! Let the worthy strikers play!

Not worthy - 14 goals in 35 internationals, it's not a bad record to be fair
  • Hart

Walker cahill smalling rose

Dier

Milner wilshere

Alli

Vardy Kane

Would be my starting 11, Rooney to come off bench if needed
  • Assuming the leak is wrong
  • edited May 2016

We do better with Welbeck in the team - he's got the workrate and pace to defend and attack, that helps put pressure on the opposition and will give people like Alli and Kane more space and more of the ball.

We'll miss him if he is out.

Agreed. Don't rate him too highly at club level but for England he plays that left winger/forward role very, very well. He is also good in the air and can be an outlet on goal kicks (in case teams figure out that if you put pressure on the England CBs they make mistakes).

As Neil points out, his workrate, pace, and pressing of opponents is a real help. And while his touch and vision/passing aren't great, he can finish.

Rose missing out to Bertrand would be harsh for me. As for Walker, Stones can play as a RB, and Clyne is a far better defender. I've never been that impressed by Walker, not fully convinced he's not simply a slightly more technical Micah Richards--good physical attributes but not a great reader of the game or technical footballer.

As for taking Shaw, the upside to taking a player who has been out for so long, like Wilshere, is that they'll be fresh. I don't know where Shaw is in terms of fitness and recovery, but he'll have a couple warm-up games. If he's beein targeting this tournament, then he should be going through the equivalent of pre-season conditioning now, which could means he's pretty well fit.
  • Don't believe that leak. Saw somebody on twittter admitting it was him and was a wind up.

Can't imagine rose not being in squad. Actual squad announced on Thursday.
  • That 'leak' is total bollocks