Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Head - New Chief Scout / Head of Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    cafc-west said:

They just played Walk on the Wild Side on Radio London.

Made me think of this appointment

Just played Communication Breakdown on Absolute Rock. Made me think of .... well all of it really ...
    Just the station name reminds me of Roland.
  • Options
    he's still not officially here yet, when on the OS etc etc
  • Options
    Is this an interim appointment? Or a permanent one (in which case we'll need to start looking for a replacement soon)?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Head of Scouting & Recruitment Steve Head recently helped the full England team with their World Cup scouting.

Steve was asked by Roy Hodgson, Ray Lewington and Head of Analysis Andy Scoulding – colleagues from their time together at Fulham – to watch international games on their behalf, an offer he accepted with the backing of Reading FC.

Steve said, “It was a pleasure and honour to work for England.

“I worked for Roy at Fulham as Head of Opposition Scouting for two and a half years, in that time we went to the Europa League final so he knew what I could produce. And like everyone I was delighted he got such a positive result by winning England’s group.

“I’m exceptionally grateful to Nick Hammond and the Manager for agreeing to it, it worked in the Club’s favour as well in terms of watching players.”

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/steve-head-england-291013-1142925.aspx
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Interestingly , he is/was at Wolves as head of international scouting - so fits into Roly's foreign players crap
  • Options
    Never heard of him. Head - did he get the job from Sue Parkes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Good thing his parents chose not to name him Richard
  • Options

Had never heard of him not that that means anything.

Seems to have worked for a lot of high profile teams and must have decent knowledge of players in England plus a lot of contacts.

Can't beat a third division part time manager working from Belgium but this bloke will have to do instead.

You can but you have to catch him first
  • Options
    To those that know him he's called 'Dick'
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Interestingly , he is/was at Wolves as head of international scouting - so fits into Roly's foreign crap players

Fixed that for you ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Can't see him staying, looks over-qualified for League 1. Expect him to leave before the start of the season when he gets to know the incumbents better.
  • Options

was told this a couple of days ago but that he would be announced after a new manager was appointed. Have I missed that bit of news?

Yes, I think the idea was for us to think it was an appointment agreed by the new manager. Nice try, Katrien.
    I wonder who and where they are looking for the new manager role now. I appreciate that a lot of players/managers will be on their holidays now, but it has all gone quiet. Given the mess we're in they don't have the luxury of time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feels like a prothero under slater/Jimenez move this
  • Options

Waiting for the 'Head's gone' title when he leaves...

Give him til Christmas.

That's blooming generous!

I was going to say September.
  • Options
    Head of Recruitment & Ticketing. Neither role big enough for a whole person.....
  • Options
    There's no one to type the contracts.

• Options

Probably better qualified for the role that he is being appointed to than any other single hire the club has made since RD rolled into town.

Putting aside, for one moment, that equally or better qualified people have been allowed to leave in the time, it is at least a step in the right direction.

Welcome Steve, hope you do well as the shite that has gone before is not your fault and if you do well it'll be good for the club.

My thoughts exactly, he looks like a good appointment.

Now we just need a manager and director of football to actually sign the players he recommends.
  • Options
    Is it official yet or has he resigned already?
  • Options

At the moment it's just a name in a role, proof will be in the outcome. We had an experienced Uk Head Scout with a strong network of contacts, and he left because he wasn't being listened to and the Club's lead on these things was decided in Belgium.

We've now replaced him five months later, with someone of a similar background and experience to the one who left.

Let's see what influence he gets allowed, and what impact that has

More like 9 months
    5 months is how long he'll be here.