Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Head - New Chief Scout / Head of Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    Hasn't RD said in some video online that he likes to constantly rotate/have new managers in place. Is this just a continuation of this? Head has done as much as he is going to, get shot and get someone new.

What was all the talk of "Slade's man"? Is he the replacement?
  • Options

Hasn't RD said in some video online that he likes to constantly rotate/have new managers in place. Is this just a continuation of this? Head has done as much as he is going to, get shot and get someone new.

What was all the talk of "Slade's man"? Is he the replacement?

I think it's going to be Nobby Holder or Dave Hill
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Certainly didn't look happy at the rkc waalwijk friendly!
    Meire didn't even mutter a word to him.

No one looked happy at the roc waalwijk friendly!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    If he is gone I'd suggest it's a good thing. Slade has got his man!
    Or is that too simplistic?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

If he is gone I'd suggest it's a good thing. Slade has got his man!
    Or is that too simplistic?

It's too simplistic : - )

Why was he appointed in the first place then and why has he gone so soon? We still need a chief scout.

Though even Rick is only speculating. WIOTOS
  • Options
    In addition to that @Henry Irving, how many employees in the past two and a half years have been hired and left within a very short amount of time. It's got to be some kind of record.
  • Options
    I don't know if it was him or Slade who identified Louis Thompson and seemingly no one else for six weeks of the transfer window but whoever it was, yeah I don't rate their scouting abilities either.
  • Options
    Wasn't he here before Russ?

Maybe Slade doesn't rate him and has proven to the club he knows what he is talking about and are letting him have his man.

Maybe we'll never know but Redhenry stated Slade wanted his own man and hopefully this is part of it.
  • Options
    If Mowgli is choosing the players coming in using football manager 2016 and Brussell has his own scout doing the opposition assessments, then there is no point to his role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Slades been trying to bring his own man in. He's an upgrade on Head and is the man behind most of our signings.

Let's hope he gets him then
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Mmm... A bitter ex-employee now then?

Reckon he'd be up for casting some light on ol' Mowgli? (Thomas Driesen) Surely as the Chief Scout / HoR he'd know about Thomas?

I thought there was a separate thread somewhere on Thomas Driesen but I can't find it now.

Anyway, once again some of the best insights into how the club is being run and how those in charge perceive their Role (e.g. Katrien Meire in L'Echo last year) comes from Belgian sports magazines and journals. So the snippet from a Belgian sports magazine copied to Stickleback blog may have appeared before and there is something in SLP - but.............

And Thomas Driesen? He is the mysterious “network scout” that Luzon spoke of. The man who, based on statistics and videos, gives the green light (or red light) to the signing of any player.

Out of nowhere, Driesen sent Duchatelet an email pointing out all the things Standard (Liege) had done wrong, and Duchatelet made him his "sporting oracle"

So Duchatelet, (as he did with Meire) made a significant judgement on the basis of receiving an e-mail. Perhaps Driesen is a footballing man but his use of what is described elsewhere as 'Playstation scouting' sounds suspicious and I really, really hope that this Thomas Driesen is not the Thomas Driesen based in Brussells who works for a marketing agency.

In any event, Slade would no doubt eat him for breakfast but the story does once again expose the dangerously cavalier attitude to football that Duchatelet exhibits and his penchant for plucking people out of thin air and putting them in positions where they can wield enormous power - if the stories are to be believed then managers prior to Slade had to get the seal of approval from Driesen for players that they had identified rather than Driesen.

Apologies. if this has all been aired elsewhere.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Slades been trying to bring his own man in. He's an upgrade on Head and is the man behind most of our signings.

An upgrade on someone who scouts for the national team? Hmmm
  • Options
    Are u Head? :smiley:
  • Options
    @Redhenry

What is this new guys name? Seems odd that we can't be told.

But if he is a step up from Steve Head then why and how?

Is he a better scout?

Is he a better negotiator?

If he is negotiating the deals what does KM do?

If he is so good why hasn't he been appointed and announced?
  • Options
    So Katrien has been arguing with Slade about giving Head a go at the club, but instead, Slade wants his own man?

Each to their own...

;-)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I don't know if it was him or Slade who identified Louis Thompson and seemingly no one else for six weeks of the transfer window but whoever it was, yeah I don't rate their scouting abilities either.

Names speculated about on Charlton Life does not necessarily equal the shortlist of transfer targets held by the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    He's a scout. Don't know much more. Was told that he is better thank Head
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Names speculated about on Charlton Life does not necessarily equal the shortlist of transfer targets held by the club.
    True though things were echoed by Rich Cawley and others in the local media. It felt like, as an outsider looking in with limited information, our scouting and player choices in central midfield were incredibly limited.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

True though things were echoed by Rich Cawley and others in the local media. It felt like, as an outsider looking in with limited information, our scouting and player choices in central midfield were incredibly limited.
    Mainly due to Roland not wanting to be pay the going rate.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

He's a scout. Don't know much more. Was told that he is better thank Head

Wow he must be good ;)
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Mainly due to Roland not wanting to be pay the going rate.
    Quite possibly.

It's really hard to judge this transfer window. I'm quite underwhelmed when taking a holistic perspective. I think we're terrible lopsided, lacking pace, and our central midfield is...yeoman like at best. And that's before you consider the talent of the players we've lost (which is to be expected to some extent with relegation). But I also don't know the budget Slade had to work with.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm not overly impressed with Slade and that I think he's a bit out of his depth. But I also don't know what he's working with behind the scenes. I personally see little value in the English game when it comes to transfers, no so much because of fees at this level, but because of the inflated wages that have been effected by Premier League money. As such I would much rather have had one or two (at least) players coming in from abroad to potentially add a bit of technical quality that I think we're lacking. But again, whether or not that was feasible, I don't know.
  • Options
    Laptop Larry, c'mon down!
  • Options
    Any update on this @Airman Brown @Redhenry ?
  • Options

Not from me.
  • Options
    Not at the mo
  • Options

Not at the mo