Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russell Slade

edited May 2016 in General Charlton
Rumor has it Charlton could appoint a manager as soon as today, and that Slade is favorite. Did a good job at Leyton Orient on a small budget, but never won anything.

Known for his "man management and rousing team talks." Cardiff fans felt his football was dour. Had to cut budget drastically at Cardiff, although I'd argue that they underachieved with the players they had over the last couple years.

Genuinely have no idea what this regime is on about. I don't know why they have this obsession with old school (and I'd say archaic) British managers. If we have any chance of keeping some of our good players (Tex, Bauer, Cousins), a manager like this will not be the one to do it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/06/cardiff-city-manager-russell-slade-head-of-football

Looking forward to two banks of four and lumping it up to a newly signed Kenwyne Jones or some other big man.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Russell Slade... You say? - Never heard of him... ;)
  • Options

Russell Slade... You say? - Never heard of him... ;)

I think an in-form Russell Slade is better than an in-form Jose Mourinho
  • Options
    Not the worst appointment if true but strange how we go from unknown network managers to a proper journeyman english manager, there just seems no sense to any of it.
  • Options
    Rather have Noddy Holder
  • Options
    If and its a big if slade was appointed manager and roland and bitchface took a back seat ( or better got sacked) and let him get on with things,. we won the league next season would that be an acceptable repair?.
  • Options
    In normal circumstances, considering our league status, this would be a good appointment. But, it all hinges on how much control of player recruitment, and the interference from the squirrel, as to how well it will go.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Rumor has it Charlton could appoint a manager as soon as today, and that Slade is favorite. Did a good job at Leyton Orient on a small budget, but never won anything.

Known for his "man management and rousing team talks." Cardiff fans felt his football was dour. Had to cut budget drastically at Cardiff, although I'd argue that they underachieved with the players they had over the last couple years.

Genuinely have no idea what this regime is on about. I don't know why they have this obsession with old school (and I'd say archaic) British managers. If we have any chance of keeping some of our good players (Tex, Bauer, Cousins), a manager like this will not be the one to do it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/06/cardiff-city-manager-russell-slade-head-of-football

Looking forward to two banks of four and lumping it up to a newly signed Kenwyne Jones or some other big man.
    And who would be the manager that would do it? baring in mind they would have to be willing to work for this regime.

You're living in the clouds if you think any decent manager would work under this lot, it is what it is and it's better than some belgian no mark.
  • Options
    in the club's present state, I couldn't give a flying if the football is 'dour' as long as we start winning again.
  • Options
    The next muppet
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    he's 55, looks 75 and has the air of a big cuddly teddy bear or an avuncular uncle .. he must have an iron fist in a teddy bear glove though because he keeps getting decent jobs ..
    never played pro football, he's an ex schoolteacher as evidenced by an incident when he managed Grimsby Town .. Town were top of division 2 and went to Lincoln for the Lincs Derby .. at 1/2 time they were down 4-0 ..
    Slade decided to teach his team a lesson, kept the players on the pitch during the break, sat them down on the grass, brought out a whiteboard and markers and lectured them on tactics in front of the jeering Lincoln fans ..
    to say that this incident lost him the dressing room is an understatement .. Grimsby slid to finish fourth and eventually lost the promotion play off to Cheltenham Town ..
    Slade moved on to Yeovil soon after ..
    incidentally, Phil Brown did the same thing to the Hull players a few years later with similar results .. the moral of the stories ? .. DO NOT PUBLICLY HUMILIATE YOUR PLAYERS ..

BUT all in all .. we could do a lot worse than Schoolmaster Russ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why start a new thread, when the manager thread has been going for weeks ?
  • Options
    Powell to Bolton..
  • Options
    Slade is a fan of Tony Watt so not all big lumps up front
  • Options

Not everyone opens those long threads, at least I don't anyway.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I'd much rather have an old school British manager than some flashy name (or network unknown) from abroad. He did a very good job at Leyton Orient - look what happened to them after he was removed. 8th this season with Cardiff is pretty decent too, considering the financial restraints they're operating under now

• Options
    I know we were hardly a great place to head to anyway, but I get a feeling we are now beginning to come across as being a bit desperate, linked to anyone from the C-list of managers who happens to be disgruntled or available.
  • Options
    Would be happy with Slade, even more so if JJ is given a coaching role.

Still want the regime gone, but he is a huge step up from the post Powell lot.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be impressed if they appoint Slade. He is a nearly man who hasn't actually been able to get a team promoted. I guess it's as much as we can hope for with this lot in charge. I know some people seem happy about this, but personally, I think it would be a poor appointment.
  • Options
    Would obviously be a much better choice than anyone we've had since Powell left (though that's not hard) - slim chance he'd be able to get TWWW back on board as well? - impossible to get excited about any managerial changes while this lot are still in charge though...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Because we had a separate one for Nigel Adkins and I heard that it was the sticking point in the Contract talks between Charlton and Slade (i.e. He wasnt getting the recognition he deserved on CharltonLife)
    Through back channels I heard that Slade threatened to walk if he didn't get the CL recognition he deserves.

I didn't think of it at the time, only that we had Adkins and Wilder threads.

I've been accused (not necessarily wrongly) of living in cloud cuckoo land for thinking we could get a half decent manager, but I'd argue that anyone who thinks Roland and Katrien will give a manager full control over transfers is equally as deluded.

That said, tearing this squad apart completely, because as previously mentioned, I struggle to see any of our current players aside from Solly and JJ wanted to play under someone like Slade (or Wilder or the like), will be incredibly expensive. We have players on the books now who are far too talented for League One. But if you bring in a manager and have him overhaul the squad completely, what happens when that doesn't work? And who out there is going to join us who is better than Bauer and Tex at CB? Do you really think Diarra will want to work under a Allardyce type given how his time at West Ham went? I'd far rather have him stick around as a player coach than JJ (with all due love and respect to the man).

Instead of building from our strengths we seem to be playing to our weaknesses. It's in no way surprising, just infuriating.
  • Options
    He needs to get down and get with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

I wouldn't be impressed if they appoint Slade. He is a nearly man who hasn't actually been able to get a team promoted. I guess it's as much as we can hope for with this lot in charge. I know some people seem happy about this, but personally, I think it would be a poor appointment.

Quite. But which team & season(s) were it, that he should have got promoted and underperformed ?

I ask because I can't recall one. Surely he's always been in charge of teams with little hope of promotion ?

Orient, Cardiff, Yeovil, Brighton, Grimsby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Slade
  • Options

he's 55, looks 75 and has the air of a big cuddly teddy bear or an avuncular uncle .. he must have an iron fist in a teddy bear glove though because he keeps getting decent jobs ..
    never played pro football, he's an ex schoolteacher as evidenced by an incident when he managed Grimsby Town .. Town were top of division 2 and went to Lincoln for the Lincs Derby .. at 1/2 time they were down 4-0 ..
    Slade decided to teach his team a lesson, kept the players on the pitch during the break, sat them down on the grass, brought out a whiteboard and markers and lectured them on tactics in front of the jeering Lincoln fans ..
    to say that this incident lost him the dressing room is an understatement .. Grimsby slid to finish fourth and eventually lost the promotion play off to Cheltenham Town ..
    Slade moved on to Yeovil soon after ..
    incidentally, Phil Brown did the same thing to the Hull players a few years later with similar results .. the moral of the stories ? .. DO NOT PUBLICLY HUMILIATE YOUR PLAYERS ..

BUT all in all .. we could do a lot worse than Schoolmaster Russ

I'm sure Curbishley did the same when we lost 5-0 away at West Ham.

• Options

Quite. But which team & season(s) were it, that he should have got promoted and underperformed ?

I ask because I can't recall one. Surely he's always been in charge of teams with little hope of promotion ?

Orient, Cardiff, Yeovil, Brighton, Grimsby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Slade
    see my post above .. I still think he'd do a good holding job for us though
  • Options
    Russell Slade is on a very short list of managers that I've taken against for no rational reason whatsoever. The other is Brian McDermott. I just don't like them.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    cafcfan said:

Russell Slade is on a very short list of managers that I've taken against for no rational reason whatsoever. The other is Brian McDermott. I just don't like them.

That's exactly how I feel. I can't stand Russell Slade - completely irrational. He looks like your favourite uncle, the sort of person you would call to unblock a toilet or something like that.

I suppose considering the about of shit hanging about the club he could be ideal.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the poor sod. He's going to be cannon fodder for when it all goes tits again.
  • Options

I feel sorry for the poor sod. He's going to be cannon fodder for when it all goes tits again.

Which is probably why he fits the bill. I can just see it now "well the fans wanted an English manager" blah blah blah.