Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2016 - The Football Thread

Comments

• Options

Who are their 'great' players though?
    Hazard - Been arguably shite all season
    Lukaku - Good Striker but Kenwyn Jones had a couple of outstanding seasons
    Benteke - Ditto above
    Feilani - Again arguably just above average Prem Midfielder last 2 seasons
    Be Bruyne - I would class him as a Very good Player, amongst a side of Superstars, possibly their one World Class Player IMO
    Cortois - Very good but wasn't outstanding last season, again, IMO wasn't in top 3 Prem Keepers last year.

Id love to be proved wrong but as per a few on here I believe they are overated.

Really rather depends what you have to do to qualify as 'great'. I'll flip the question back to you and ask you who you think are the great players at the tournament.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So who is getting out of the Groups then?

Group A... France ... Switzerland
    Group B... England ... Russia ... Wales
    Group C... Germany ... Poland
    Group D... Spain ... Turkey ... Croatia
    Group E... Italy ... Belgium ... Sweden
    Group F... Portugal ... Iceland ... Austria
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above
    Be Bruyne - I would class him as a Very good Player, amongst a side of Superstars, possibly their one World Class Player IMO
    Cortois - Very good but wasn't outstanding last season, again, IMO wasn't in top 3 Prem Keepers last year.

Id love to be proved wrong but as per a few on here I believe they are overated.

Really rather depends what you have to do to qualify as 'great'. I'll flip the question back to you and ask you who you think are the great players at the tournament.
    Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Mertens has been effective at Napoli and Nainggolan was one of Roma's stand out players this year. Carrasco has impressed a heck of lot of people in Spain.

Not saying they're top class but you're only considering players who play in England.
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale

Don't think I really need to add to that, however, nobody really rates Englands chances and IMO also are not an outstanding side, however, Id prob only take De Bruyne and Hazard and maybe Vetonghen to add to our side from Belgium.

Just my opinion mind.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
    Church
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
    So from that list:

Spain 5
    Germany 3
    France 2
    Austria 1
    Belgium 1
    Croatia 1
    Poland 1
    Portugal 1
    Sweden 1

Of the teams with 1 'great player' Belgium have easily the strongest squad imo, and a few other players that may well be in the French, German or Spanish squads if they were the right nationality. Don't see what's wrong with my assertion they are the best of the dark horses behind France, Spain and Germany who are the stand-out contenders (none of them without their issues, mind you).
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
    So from that list:

Spain 5
    Germany 3
    France 2
    Austria 1
    Belgium 1
    Croatia 1
    Poland 1
    Portugal 1
    Sweden 1

Of the teams with 1 'great player' Belgium have easily the strongest squad imo, and a few other players that may well be in the French, German or Spanish squads if they were the right nationality. Don't see what's wrong with my assertion they are the best of the dark horses behind France, Spain and Germany who are the stand-out contenders (none of them without their issues, mind you).
    I think the thing is mate that people have spoken about them as dark horses for about 6 years.

Not much come to fruition though, as per England.
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale

Don't think I really need to add to that, however, nobody really rates Englands chances and IMO also are not an outstanding side, however, Id prob only take De Bruyne and Hazard and maybe Vetonghen to add to our side from Belgium.

Just my opinion mind.
    Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld? The three of them have just had fantastic seasons for Spurs. The centre back pair in particular woul be a significant upgrade on Smalling/Cahil/Stones.

Much as I like Milner, Dembele is a better player than either him or Henderson.
  • Options
    The excitement is really kicking in now.

There really is an interesting narrative going into this tournament regarding France. The people are obviously still reeling after what they have been going through socially over the last year or so, and this tournament is being looked at as an opportunity for them to all be brought together again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I think England were 2 CHs away from being Tournament Favs in my eyes.
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
    So from that list:

Spain 5
    Germany 3
    France 2
    Austria 1
    Belgium 1
    Croatia 1
    Poland 1
    Portugal 1
    Sweden 1

Maybe this will be the tournament when it all comes together for them. A lot worse squads have won this tournament. Ive just never seen them play well.
  • Options

Benteke - Ditto above

Ronaldo
    Ibra
    De Bruyne
    Modric
    David Silva
    Muller
    Hummels
    Greizmann
    Pogba
    Neuer
    De Gea
    Pique
    Ramos
    Alba
    Iniesta
    Lewandowski
    Bale
    So from that list:

Spain 5
    Germany 3
    France 2
    Austria 1
    Belgium 1
    Croatia 1
    Poland 1
    Portugal 1
    Sweden 1

I think the thing is mate that people have spoken about them as dark horses for about 6 years.

Not much come to fruition though, as per England.
    Not really, they were first talked about before the last world cup, so 2 years ago. They didn't even qualify for Euro 2012 so can hardly have been talked about then. Most of the sensible punditry I heard about them last time centred on their potential but marked them out as being too young - for example Courtois and De Bruyne were 22, Hazard 23, Lukaku 21. They didn't really impress, I know, but they got to the quarter finals and only Netherlands and Germany went further from Europe and the Dutch aren't here this time.
  • Options
    One of the big boys usually crashes out too - I have a sneaking suspicion Germany are going to underperform badly for a change.
  • Options

Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld? The three of them have just had fantastic seasons for Spurs. The centre back pair in particular woul be a significant upgrade on Smalling/Cahil/Stones.

Much as I like Milner, Dembele is a better player than either him or Henderson.

Totally agree. IMO, All three of them would walk straight into the current England squad and likely starting XI.

Sorry, forgot to take off my kippah...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Can't bloody wait for tomorrow. I'm out in Marseille at the moment and got here on Tuesday. Pleasantly surprised would be an understatement, Really loved the city so far. Cannot wait for the football to get started now though! Going to our first game and it's a must win and I think we'll do it. Also got my mug on ITV this morning which was a laugh!

Was out there this time last year....agree lovely city the views from the hill with the church on it are well worth the walk....it was 80c+ when we were out there. Plenty of decent bars around the Vieux Port and the area called Le Panier is well worth a wander. If you get the chance (and have the time) Cassis is well worth the 20-25min train ride out from St Charles station.
    I bloody hope it wasn't 80c+ when you were there !

Sounds amazing, we'll end up in Marseille next weekend after visiting Nice & Lyon, can't wait to see it.
    According to BBC weather it's in the low 80's now....better pack some sun screen. Nice is a fantastic city...enjoy.
  • Options
    Maybe being biased here but you can certainly add Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli to that list of great players.

Italy will have the best defence at the tournament, having your goalkeeper and defence all playing for the same club is a massive advantage, given teams meet up maybe 10 times a year with ever changing defences, I'm surprised the media has declined to mention it so far. That said I'm really not sure how Italy will fare this year I think the Conte factor is what gives me some optimism but that huge advantage definitely shouldn't be overlooked.
  • Options
    Kane is definitely a great player. Certainly ahead of Silva and Hummels at least from that list.
  • Options

Maybe being biased here but you can certainly add Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli to that list of great players.

Italy will have the best defence at the tournament, having your goalkeeper and defence all playing for the same club is a massive advantage, given teams meet up maybe 10 times a year with ever changing defences, I'm surprised the media has declined to mention it so far. That said I'm really not sure how Italy will fare this year I think the Conte factor is what gives me some optimism but that huge advantage definitely shouldn't be overlooked.

Buffon and Chiellini are good shouts. Buffon is like a million years old, but still probably one of the three best keepers at the tournament and to have been at his level for so long makes him a genuine great imo.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Kane is definitely a great player. Certainly ahead of Silva and Hummels at least from that list.

If he has a really good tournament we might be able to add him to the list, but he hasn't justified the tag just yet. I wouldn't necessarily have Silva on the list either though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016

Buffon and Chiellini are good shouts. Buffon is like a million years old, but still probably one of the three best keepers at the tournament and to have been at his level for so long makes him a genuine great imo.

Buffon is the best ever.

Bonucci and Barazgli are underrated still in some circles those two along with Chiellini are easily the best centrebacks there.
  • Options
    After the season of utter crap we have gone though I can't frickin wait for some decent football to kick off. Got England, Slovakia and Slovenia in betting comps at work. Got a good feeling about our chances and feel we have plenty of attacking options within our ranks. Harry Kane for golden boot. Come On England!
  • Options
    Cannot wait for this
  • Options

Cannot wait for this

Snap.

Think this is the first time I've got excited about football for a few years. I hope that excitement lasts more than a few days as falling out of love with football, which has happened to me over the last few years, has left me pretty much with zero interests outside of watching occasional boxing and athletics.

I've a feeling the winner will come from either France or Belgium.

Unlike the poster above who thinks the lesser teams will pack defences, I'm hopeful the increase in teams and wider margins in ability will hopefully lead to more goals.
  • Options
    The Gazindex
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I come up with them players in about 30 seconds, I've definitely missed players off. It's not some sort of official list!!!!

You forgot your mate James Milner :wink:
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Benteke - Ditto above

Mertens has been effective at Napoli and Nainggolan was one of Roma's stand out players this year. Carrasco has impressed a heck of lot of people in Spain.

Not saying they're top class but you're only considering players who play in England.
    I think nainggolan will be one of the stand out players
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Cannot wait for this

Snap.

Think this is the first time I've got excited about football for a few years. I hope that excitement lasts more than a few days as falling out of love with football, which has happened to me over the last few years, has left me pretty much with zero interests outside of watching occasional boxing and athletics.

I've a feeling the winner will come from either France or Belgium.

Unlike the poster above who thinks the lesser teams will pack defences, I'm hopeful the increase in teams and wider margins in ability will hopefully lead to more goals.
    A chance for a name check from the great leader and all I get is misquoted and dismissed as "poster above".

I did say I think it'll be a high scoring tournament, it's just that several of the less fancied teams made it through qualifying mostly by not conceding many. Plus 3 draws may well get you out of the groups. Once some of the defensive teams are out of the way, I think the better sides are stronger in attack, so we might get a few high scoring knockout games.

I'm almost scared to put this up cos I'll probably get pelters off you lot for my terrible punditry, but the missus is running a sweepstake at work and most of her colleagues, being Canadians, ain't got a Scooby about who is who so she asked me to knock up a, hastily researched, guide, if anyone is interested in reading my ramblings.

• Options
    IAIA
    edited June 2016
    1StevieG said:

Got England, Slovakia and Slovenia in betting comps at work.

I've got Finland, San Marino and the Faroe Islands in mine. I'm feeling confident.