Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options
    No, I think he's a good striker, rubbish on the wing.

Still one of many rubbish initiatives.
  • Options
    The manger must never compromise on the attributes he needs - If I was manager, at least one of my centre backs would know where the goal is. Two of my midfielders too. I would want pace and height and those attributes would determine the team I develop.
  • Options
    Let's face it, English managers are shit.
  • Options
    The only thing that made me smile after the England penalty was seeing the Charlton flag with Roland out on it
  • Options
    The one things that confuses me is we played all these pre tournament friendlies and looked generally quite good in the 4312.
    3 games in a row Hodgson played 433 and we looked toothless. I'm not disputing Rooney has been a good servant for England over the last 10 or so years , but if it comes down to shoehorning him into our teams and failing, or leaving him out then I know which one I Chose.
  • Options
    It is wrong to blame Rooney IMO.
  • Options
    He deserves as much blame as anyone else though.
  • Options
    Huge congrats to Johann and Iceland they played brilliantly... I hope that Charlton get to the FA Cup final seeing everyone wanted that above any England success!!

Absolutely devistated myself
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2016

I get angry because he has to take the blame. If we pat the loser on the back, we will never improve. We have to sniff out these losers early!

That team looked terrified tonight - you could tell they were already starting to worry about the mauling they were going to get when they got home if they didn't manage to find a way to win. England fans have been getting angry with their team or 50 years and the team has just got a bit shitter at every tournament.

If you think creating a climate of fear around the England team helps... it doesn't.
    Bullshit - they've had incredible support out there. How can you even think about making excuses for that!?
    The support out there has been great, and the players have been shit, I'm not making excuses for anyone, but having them scared of the reaction if they lose, and I'm talking about the reaction from fans and media back home - explain to me how that will ever help.

That is part of England's problem. Certainly not all of it, but a small part. Muttley suggested getting angry would help filter out the losers... well it won't, it'll just help to turn more decent players into losers.
  • Options
    Not blaming Rooney, He is a class player when played correctly. I was just raising the point that we prepared in a fair few of our games in a formation without Rooney. It's just confusing why he then changes the team To accommodate him after this success.
  • Options
    Benetiz cometh
  • Options
    Still something to feel good about. Johann and Churchy still in the Euros. I'm feeling a sense of pride :relieved:
  • Options
    Cod knows what England's plan was---try to plaice the ball in the Iceland net?
    Trawly awful.
    Glad I'm a Haddock.
    Just can't stand to see the Welsh gloating.
    Good to see JBG though doing his bit for a team with drive,a perfect game-plan and a will to win for their country.And a manager with great tactical nous.Good luck to them against France.
    Hope our players are thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But of course they won't be--they've earned another £1/2-1 million each from their clubs since they've been out there.What do they care?
  • Options

I get angry because he has to take the blame. If we pat the loser on the back, we will never improve. We have to sniff out these losers early!

That team looked terrified tonight - you could tell they were already starting to worry about the mauling they were going to get when they got home if they didn't manage to find a way to win. England fans have been getting angry with their team or 50 years and the team has just got a bit shitter at every tournament.

If you think creating a climate of fear around the England team helps... it doesn't.
    Bullshit - they've had incredible support out there. How can you even think about making excuses for that!?
    The support out there has been great, and the players have been shit, I'm not making excuses for anyone, but having them scared of the reaction if they lose, and I'm talking about the reaction from fans and media back home - explain to me how that will ever help.

That is part of England's problem. Certainly not all of it, but a small part. Muttley suggested getting angry would help filter out the losers... well it won't, it'll just help to turn more decent players into losers.
    Are they scared of the reaction back home? Really? That would imply they give a shit. Other Countries players have to face just as much pressure back home and don't buckle like ours.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

The one things that confuses me is we played all these pre tournament friendlies and looked generally quite good in the 4312.
    3 games in a row Hodgson played 433 and we looked toothless. I'm not disputing Rooney has been a good servant for England over the last 10 or so years , but if it comes down to shoehorning him into our teams and failing, or leaving him out then I know which one I Chose.

It was all looking good, a great qualification, wins over France and Germany, but in the last 2 friendlies, the systems went all over the place, and we've never recovered
  • Options

My husband has suggested we start a petition to play the game again.

Haha my son suggested the same at half time before falling asleep.
  • Options
    The poster who said the 6 changes against Slovakia changed the direction was 100% right. It was a callous neglectful indulgent act and a lot of us called it right before we saw the results. For that reason, Hodgson deserves ridicule.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Sorry lads I feel I let the side down. England have never won a knock out Euro game away and we never win When it's on ITV & I'm watching in O'Neil's Bromley.

So I left at half time and went to the Swan & watched four different TV's in there to no avail.

I gave it my best shot.

Console yourselves, that England are like Charlton, when push comes to shove we nearly always **** up.

Charlton 'til I die.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know the whole team were abject but for the third time since he picked his 23 can i say Roy Hodgson is a Cockwomble.
  • Options
    Just when you think a season couldn't get worse.
  • Options

Let's face it, English managers are shit.

And so have been the foreign managers we've had. Far bigger problems with our game and players than the managers.
  • Options
    Poor players, poor manager, no footballing intelligence. Embarrassing.
  • Options
    Belgium are going to win this tournament now! FFS!
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

The FA need to grow a pair here. Don't want to see Gary Neville. They need to go big on a younger manager. Eddie Howe is the choice for me. If Pardew gets in I'm off the fucking Australia.

Laddick01 said:

The FA need to grow a pair here. Don't want to see Gary Neville. They need to go big on a younger manager. Eddie Howe is the choice for me. If Pardew gets in I'm off the fucking Australia.

If the FA had a pair, we would have kept Terry Venables in charge. Graham Taylor would have had paid to watch England along with the other fans. Ffs. The same as Charlton. What do they look for on a CV? Hodgeson won.....well what exactly. The old boy network will see Southgate in, and when we beat Cyprus 2-0 in a friendly, the tabloids willsay we have turned a corner...till we get into the groups in Russia.
    We had players to go further this time. So we make six changes against Slovakia. You do that against Turkey in a friendly you clown.
  • Options
    Sorry but Rooney was atrocious. This idea that he's world class is a lie. He's racked up a goal tally on the back of piss poor teams at qualifying stage.
    Time to retire from international football and let Rashford take his place.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It is wrong to blame Rooney IMO.

No particular player should be blamed for the tournament but he was the 2nd worst player on the pitch after Kane today, well close with Hart I suppose.

Rooney was one of our better players in the early games but he is slow and ponderous and one of the types of players we kind of need to move on from whether he retires or not.

I've got a lot of lols for my posts saying Henderson should play but he is the exact sort of player that Italy would put in their team ahead of a technically better player because of his work rate, pressing and movement. We need to do the same thing.
  • Options
    In this modern world of football it is a sad fact that there is no English manager good enough to to win a major tournament and the next coach must be foreign. When you consider the English rugby team under Stuart Lancaster in the World Cup they were awful and as much an embarrassment as the team this evening; Eddie Jones transformed the same players into world beaters. The talent is there whoever is the manager, the major problem is how to manage that talent.
  • Options
    He was awful in the second half. Alli and Kane were terrible throughout! I think they are good players though and will learn a lot from it.