Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options
    That was a horror show. No guts. No bottle. No passion. No intelligence. Must be the worst England performance ever and that's saying a lot. Can't say I'm surprised. We've been on the downhill slope for years now and continuing. Embarrassing though. We who invented the game. What a load of bollox.
  • Options
    For the first time in my life(as a born pessimist) I was optimistic and confident there was no way we would not win , worse case extra time and penalties would be required but that was unreal , pathetic
    I still can't believe it
    If I was still a gambling man I'd still be laying Leicester to win last seasons Prem, backing "remain" in EU and backing us to beat Iceland because that is buying money
    Unplayable
    My only slight worry before last night was how shit our defence would be once tested but I believed we could still out score them , wrong !
    I also found a particular irrational dislike of Spurs rising up in me due to the wankiness of their players in last nights performance
    Aaaaaaaah did that really happen , such a Charlton like let down
  • Options
    Momentum is important in football - after the Germany win we were on to something so promptly changed the side a few days later before we could lock down and identify what it was. After the second half against Wales we could say we had got into the tournament and had found something so promptly changed the side before we could lock down what it was.

It is strange that England managers seem to have a voice in their head telling them to do things that their experience and logic should prevent. Maybe it is because they are England manager, they feel they have to justify their role by being too clever.

I said before the Slovakia game that it was too important a game for us to make 6 changes. Hodgson did it because he lacked respect for our opponents, and because he felt sorry for his lads who might not get a game in the tournament if they didn't play in that one. When you are part of a squad, you accept you are used when needed, but Hodgson lacked that ruthless streak that you need. We shouldn't be calling the mistakes before they happen.

I think he has let the country down in three consecutive tournaments. The FA need to ask themselves how and why they constantly get these things wrong! Hodgson should have apologised to us in his post match speech yesterday. It sounded more like a winning speech - thanking the players etc...
  • Options

That's exactly what he done, he wanted to be uncle woy friend to them all,

His decision to bring Wiltshire and sterling summed that up hadn't played all season yet picked above players in form and who had done well

Dele Ali and harry kane I doubt will ever recover from this tournament and if I was spurs I'd be looking to sell them, especially kane he looked below a pub player

How can you even begin to say that kane takes corners and free kicks better than anyone else in that team when the player himself doesn't even agree with that or wish to take them

The fa caused this the writing was on the wall after the last two tournaments, yet they like woy diddery and doddery all shuffling along talking about jumpers for goal posts and how young this team is full of youthful exuberance

Then they put Southgate in charge of u21s a player average at best a shit mgr at villa and Boro in charge of being the link between u21 and full squad

Below him they put aidy boothroyd a notorious one dimensional coach wants athletes over footballers, not one progressive coach to be seen not one successful coach there, they bring the same shity old school backroom staff back room thoughts

It's comfortable it's easy and it will not change all the while we have the fa in its current guise

Good post that NLA.
  • Options
    embarassing, no passion can lay about all over the floor at the end of the match but we should of wiped the floor with them, fair play to iceland they outplayed us, too many fucking egos in that team, ive never seen a match where so many players under perform they treated it like a freindly, the way roy run down that tunnel the spineless prick, then handed his resignation he was gone anyway prat, the one thing i am even more ashamed of is the way the sun feel it necessary to put wayne rooneys son on the front page bunch of cockroaches.
  • Options
    The sun should have been closed down with the News of the World. I think there was passion, but we always channel it in the wrong way! Lee Dixon pointed out the danger from throw ins before the game - how to defend them should have been drilled into the players! If that was the case, it was the passion that got in the way. Same with the second - Hart broke the rules of basic goalkeeping technique that is taught to keepers very early. Why - because he channels his passion all wrong. It felt like I was the only person who spotted this weakness in the penalty shoot-out with Italy 4 years ago, when he was so pumped up, he was diving too soon for the penalties.
  • Options
    I new it was a bad game, because I kept getting woken up from my sleep with everyone swearing (and no, I'm not Joe Hart).
  • Options
    we lost because the players aren't good enough, English clubs have done dick all in Europe and that is despite being filled with foreigh stars, the actual English players in all of them teams are only bit part players.Harry Kane is one of the most over rated players I have ever seen.Let's see how good he is in the Champions league, what a shower of shit how the fuck did Sturridge stay on the pitch god help us.I have Championed Rooney , but when the team looked for him to step up last night he couldn't, I don't know what the answer is just we aint good enough.
  • Options
    Rob said:

That was a horror show. No guts. No bottle. No passion. No intelligence. Must be the worst England performance ever and that's saying a lot. Can't say I'm surprised. We've been on the downhill slope for years now and continuing. Embarrassing though. We who invented the game. What a load of bollox.

Exactly this. Utterly terrible performance. It was clear there was only one thing on the players' mind - how many £mns their investments had lost in value over the last couple of days. #blameleave.

As for that fat slow knackered Scouse wanker Rooney. Great penalty take but a total liability thereafter. He makes Johnie Jackson look pacey. If he was a horse he would have had a bolt through the head by now.

So, that "bonding" lion the players carried around worked well didn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've woken up this morning still apoplectic with rage. For what it's worth I've got a few thoughts. I agree entirely with Danny Baker's expletive laden Twitter rant. Well done Danny for actually giving them a full and frank assessment of the stark reality of the situation. The reality is they don't actually care, or haven't cared over the 4 games they've played. If they did care they would have done a lot more than what they've given us. They simply haven't worked hard enough.

For me, I think there should be a TOTAL boycott of any England friendlies home and away until the next tournament. The FA do not deserve any money spent on the national team until they show they are willing to put in place a plan to completely overhaul football in this country, and no that doesn't include appointing Gareth Southgate.

In the immediate aftermath, Rooney, Hart & Cahill should all offer to retire from intl football. All are at the other side of the slope in their careers. Do any of you truly believe they have anything left to offer. Their performances will only decline, and they are also part of sustained failure now. Rooney especially, he's been failing since 2006 in an England shirt.

The time has come to ask, what the f*** the FA actually does
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I've woken up this morning still apoplectic with rage. For what it's worth I've got a few thoughts. I agree entirely with Danny Baker's expletive laden Twitter rant. Well done Danny for actually giving them a full and frank assessment of the stark reality of the situation. The reality is they don't actually care, or haven't cared over the 4 games they've played. If they did care they would have done a lot more than what they've given us. They simply haven't worked hard enough.

For me, I think there should be a TOTAL boycott of any England friendlies home and away until the next tournament. The FA do not deserve any money spent on the national team until they show they are willing to put in place a plan to completely overhaul football in this country, and no that doesn't include appointing Gareth Southgate.

In the immediate aftermath, Rooney, Hart & Cahill should all offer to retire from intl football. All are at the other side of the slope in their careers. Do any of you truly believe they have anything left to offer. Their performances will only decline, and they are also part of sustained failure now. Rooney especially, he's been failing since 2006 in an England shirt.

The time has come to ask, what the f*** the FA actually does

It investigates crowd trouble at Charlton. Has no time for actually running a national team.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You can't have a game plan of have loads of possession and just hope a good chance opens up.

Absolutely zero movement, none whatsoever, so limited in tactics and genuine footballing intelligence.

Camping 30 yards out from goal and slowing the play down to pass backwards. No guts in making a run or even wanting to be on the ball in tight situations.

The pace was so slow, it was astonishing how easily the Iceland team could intercept and tackle. They were hungry, organised, passionate, tough and played like winners. Really happy they won.

Then when England are desperate they go long ball, to 2 centre halves who played like absolute trojans. If you are banking on mistakes then just walk off the pitch.
  • Options
    I'm still fuming at last night, Hodgson fucked up on so many levels.

The fact he took only 1 winger to the tournament.
    Playing Sturridge right wing.
    Subbing Sterling off for another striker when Sterling had actually looked a threat and it meant we had no wide players to get crosses into the box.
    Keeping Rooney on for 86 minutes.
    Bringing Wilshere on when we needed to open them up. Someone like Barkley would've probably been a better option.
    Keeping Kane on for the whole game.
    Letting Kane anywhere near free kicks.
    Giving Rashford 5 minutes at the end when he should've had at least 20-25.
  • Options
    The same people saying we should go for a more cohesive team are the same people who were calling Henderson shit whilst making us a more balanced faster moving midfield and demanding Sterling off despite being our 1 outlet to stick 3 strikers on...
  • Options

I am not sure why but I am truly stunned by that performance for all the wrong reasons.

I am not sure I have seen any side supposedly professionally coached show such little understanding of even the basic ability to break a side down.

There is a simple principle to the game of football - it is called pass and move and guess what when you have done that you pass and move again - and so and so on. Even if you move the ball 5 yards to the right or left quickly the defender will need to move even if you pass it back to where it came from.

I have never seen a side so static. It was almost surreal as time after time after time players just stood there looking at the player with the ball as if mystified as to what they were supposed to do.

It was if they suffered collective brain freeze. The lack of movement was if they had the players pretending to be cones in a practice match. It reminded me of games on a Sunday morning after a good few beers the night before with your mates almost pleading "please don't pass the ball to me, my head hurts".

That must have been the easiest game the Icelandic defence has ever had, we posed no challenge the entire game.

England players literally stood looking at each other - often standing behind or alongside a defender. After the penalty there was no attempt to drop off, pull away to drag defenders out opposition at all. We then seem terrified to put the ball into the danger area to let Kane, Sturridge or Sterling compete.

Much as I do not think Lallana provides the necessary goal threat at least he moves defenders around in tight and dangerous areas.

That was one of the most inept displays I have seen from any professional side let alone an international side. Brainless, unprofessional, undisciplined and lacking any cohesion whatsoever.

Not a football brain on display in a white shirt.

Congratulations to Iceland - they worked exceptionally hard, stuck to their game plan, could have scored twice more and deserved the victory.

For England that performance should be shown at every international training camp from now until eternity. Never again should we be embarrassed to such an extent.

I have had a great deal of time for Hodgson but Roy there was no need to write a resignation letter - your squad already wrote it for you.

Just this. Static. From the Russia game on, we refused to move and try to stretch the opposition defences to créate spaces. The frustrating thing was how obvious it was, and that the manager allowed it to continue. Rashford and Varney should have been on long before they arrived. As Grapevine says, that should ve stored away to show future England squads.
  • Options
    Great video that, plus I learnt about our new sports science guy from it :D
  • Options
    Listening to John Barnes on 5Live. He feels sorry for the players because they are inexperienced and too much was expected of them. He feels sorry for Hodgson because he had no one else to choose from!

Priceless.
  • Options
    Well, people did want out of Europe... They got there wish twice in 1 week !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Usually when England get knocked out im a bit down and gutted but last night as made me really angry.

The most below par performance I've ever seen from a football team led by a clueless manager that wants to be everyone's friend.
  • Options
    I was sort of expecting it
  • Options
    What annoyed me the most last night was when clive tyldesley said that Gudmundsson plays for us and then emphasised that we were relegated!!! What a tosser!
  • Options
    Yes, he was making the point to highlight how shit England were.
  • Options

England or Charlton?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Build a strong starting 11 and stick with them only changing the team through injury. Only tinker with one player at the time per match if necessary. At tournaments, the squad stays in England and only join up 2 days before the match and then return home. I say this because it seems that the squad lose focus when they stay away for tournaments and seem to treat it as a jolly.

I do not request any fee for this suggestion but if anybody feels they would like to contribute then please send payment to CARD or the Upbeats.

Thank you.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Build a strong starting 11 and stick with them only changing the team through injury. Only tinker with one player at the time per match if necessary. At tournaments, the squad stays in England and only join up 2 days before the match and then return home. I say this because it seems that the squad lose focus when they stay away for tournaments and seem to treat it as a jolly.

I do not request any fee for thus suggestion but if anybody feels they would like to contribute then please send payment to CARD or the Upbeats.

Thank you.

Not sure how that would've worked in Brazil...
  • Options

What annoyed me the most last night was when clive tyldesley said that Gudmundsson plays for us and then emphasised that we were relegated!!! What a tosser!

I didn't mind that as it highlighted the ineptitude of the shower of shite that is the England football team.

They should have emphasised that not only did he play for relegated Charlton, but also like pretty much all the team he was shit all season.
  • Options
    On a positive note, there's no better pre-season training as a Charlton fan than watching England at a major tournament.

I feel truly ready to watch Nicky Ajose be Charlton-ized in front of my very eyes.
  • Options

I was being sarcastic, its what supporting Charlton does to you.