Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options

What annoyed me the most last night was when clive tyldesley said that Gudmundsson plays for us and then emphasised that we were relegated!!! What a tosser!

Clive Tyldesley is a man who without doubt washes his own car
  • Options

Yes, he was making the point to highlight how shit England were.

England or Charlton?
    Both - the point only works if people accept Charlton are shit - which I would imagine they do.
  • Options
    I was going to post this in the Italy v Spain thread but it’s more relevant here.

Italians tend to be better disciplined and are taught tactics from a young age. They grow up on 5 a side pitches and part of their development is classroom talks and lectures.

From 2010, and I doubt much has changed:
    Only 2,769 English coaches hold Uefa's B, A and Pro badges
    Spain has 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,790

If anyone can find more recent stats I’d be very interested in seeing them.

People with blinkers complain about Italy’s supposed negativity, but whose shoes would you rather be in? When did England last have a manager as astute Capello, Conte, Lippi, Ancelotti, Allegri, Ranieri, Sarri or Spalletti? They relish tactical battles and thinking of ways to outwit opposition.

I’m not an England fan but the inept and corrupt FA need to take a long, hard look at themselves. The managers and players aren’t the only problem. Nothing will change, though. The World Cup will come around, England will have qualified, people will get excited, bell ends like Clive Tyldesley will insult other teams, then the usual suspects will get in gear and England will be left in the same mess.

It’s okay though because Sky tell us we have the best league in the world.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I tried coaching my sons teams a few times in recent years. Their ability to listen, engage and try to learn in training was minimal. You have to keep drills too simple or just play a match as anything remotely involved and you are fighting against the tide! It can be done, my son also trains twice a week with the University of Hertfordshire football development centre - which used to be part of Norwich City and now unfortunately is part of Crystal Palace. They expect much more from the players and get it. They may play one competetive match a year - last year they beat Cambridge's academy in that only match! My son is a keeper, but I see what they do with the outfield players of course and it is impressive.

The problem with my son's current Sunday team and the one before that, is that they have been playing to win matches since they were young boys - it is all about the games, not making them better players in training. I have seen lots of potential miss-used and also decisions taken to win the team games rather than push a talented player in the right direction to improve.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

People with blinkers complain about Italy’s supposed negativity, but whose shoes would you rather be in? When did England last have a manager as astute Capello, Conte, Lippi, Ancelotti, Allegri, Ranieri, Sarri or Spalletti? They relish tactical battles and thinking of ways to outwit opposition.

I'm obviously not comparing ability wise but the closest we have and have had for a while is Allardyce yet no one wants him.

• Options
    It was a very poor performance, but I don't buy into the opinions of that they 'didn't try' or 'lacked passion'. That is nonsense. However, they lacked movement, they looked nervous and scared, and they seriously lacked ideas. Rashford actually ran at their defence and actually caused a few problems, as did Sterling parts, so I am very surprised Roy didnt bring him on. Kane looked woeful, but he is a good.player. Roy clearly wanted to play 4 3 3, but we just didnt have the players to do it. Square pegs round holes. Play to the players strengths!
  • Options
    Because of JBG I watched all of Iceland's games. The result last night was no surprise, and as has been said it was Iceland's easiest game so far.
    I have never seen JBG so disciplined and with such focus, he has made a great contribution to the Icelandic success, his decision making has been pretty good.
    I expect France to beat Iceland of course. However I had hopes for this young England team this time, but it was once again the same old same old.
    And it will probably be the same again next time.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    They passed the ball too much - they weren't playing Spain. A few more speculative attacking balls would have been fine as they invariably would have got the ball straight back. You do have to play the opponents - I honestly don't think Hodgson understood this! Too much trying to keep posession and allowing Iceland to close them down. Vardy is a player you can play more speculative balls to, but we needed somebody like Carroll in that team against a team like Iceland also!

Also, the tactic should have been no avoidable throw ins or corners against Iceland - a ball lofted into their half of the field would have always been the better option, even if it did find a blue shirt every time!

The reason there is the saying 'Horses for Courses', is because it is sometimes needed!
  • Options
    Danny Baker's tweets are hilarious.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I dont expect France to beat Iceland... I reckon the latter can more than hold their own and have the ability to attack with intent when possible... Dont forget this is a side that have beaten England and Holland twice whilst got a deserved draw against Portugal.

Wonder what Ronaldo will say if Iceland go further in the competition than them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not on twitter. Can anybody give us a laugh by linking Bakers twits.
  • Options
    Wow there is a lot of anger from Danny Baker at the moment... a lot of the F word being used
  • Options
    Stephen Henderson ‏@henderson_sf · 11h11 hours ago  Marbella, Spain

Well done @Gudmundsson7 , now get your head on Cheltenham away in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Made me chuckle!

Although, I'd like to know why Henderson is in Marbella rather than at the first day of training!
  • Options

I dont expect France to beat Iceland... I reckon the latter can more than hold their own and have the ability to attack with intent when possible... Dont forget this is a side that have beaten England and Holland twice whilst got a deserved draw against Portugal.

Wonder what Ronaldo will say if Iceland go further in the competition than them?

I personally think France will beat Iceland comfortably. We did not because we are a crap side. the French, Germans, Italy, Belgium will stroll past them.
  • Options

It was a very poor performance, but I don't buy into the opinions of that they 'didn't try' or 'lacked passion'. That is nonsense. However, they lacked movement, they looked nervous and scared, and they seriously lacked ideas. Rashford actually ran at their defence and actually caused a few problems, as did Sterling parts, so I am very surprised Roy didnt bring him on. Kane looked woeful, but he is a good.player. Roy clearly wanted to play 4 3 3, but we just didnt have the players to do it. Square pegs round holes. Play to the players strengths!

I agree, we had a lot of inexperienced players out there, but no leaders on the pitch to encourage them, and no leadership off the pitch.

As Dixon said, the marking for the first long throw after half time was exactly the same as that which led to the first goal, that's a major coaching failure.

The players went to pieces in the second half mentally, not helped by the shambles of a system, where nobody knew what he was meant to be doing.

The last 3 months have been a shambles for Roy, constant changing of the shape, just to fit Rooney into the team?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I personally think France will beat Iceland comfortably. We did not because we are a crap side. the French, Germans, Italy, Belgium will stroll past them.
    Dunno France didnt stroll past Albania or Ireland they even struggled against Switzerland who I'd put on a par with Iceland.

I dont think that Iceland will win the competition though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    just watched the highlights on iplayer mainly to see shearer and crews thoughts, u would think i would used to be disappointment now following charlton but its really fucking angered me also becoming a little tedious is the england exit europe twice in 1 week.
  • Options
    I'm always interested by this after an England loss. What do people mean by passion?
  • Options
    Shearer's remarks don't account for Wales being in the quarter finals!
  • Options
    I think everything has been covered here already and will continue to be covered over the next few days. My thoughts on it all:

Someone mentioned keeping it simple for 6 year olds and seemed to think this is wrong? It isn't. Young children have short attention spans so you need to keep things short and simple. It's not about teaching them the finer aspects of the game but building the foundations. FUN. MOVEMENT. TEAMWORK. Don't try and teach them to be professional footballers until they are older.

Watch Germany, Italy and France. They enjoy what they do, they are always moving to create space and passing opportunities. Italy were well organised but if you watch their build up play against Spain there were always 4 teammates available for a pass. Germany are the masters of it, just watch Müller and Özil for 5 mins in their next game for a masterclass in movement, or lack of at times, and creating and finding space. We don't do this and it's been a problem for years.

We lacked a coherent system, but the squad we brought with us painted us into a corner. We had one out and out winger. Rooney is transitioning to midfield and doesn't quite fit either role yet, although he wasn't the worst player in an England shirt yesterday, Wilshere is off the pace. I could go on. There were many issues with that squad and many options we didn't consider.

Mentally we had a Spurs moment in that game. Things went against us, we went into shock and we didn't have anyone to pull us out of the downward spiral. It's an indictment of our captain and vice captains who were the experienced players in that squad. They had to be leaders but I didn't see it.

Iceland have 79 professional players. One of those is Eidur Gudjohnssen. Their goalie has only been a professional for one or two years. You have to respect what they are doing at this tournament but considering the investment in each and every one of those England players any investor would be extremely pissed off with that sort of return. It's a game you have to win. Iceland were brilliant, they played their game to perfection, but we helped them do that.

I don't see a coach out there to be manager of England. No one jumps out as the guy you want in charge. Even if there was I'm not sure they would want to work with this England team. We've been stuck since 2008, and we don't seem to have an idea how to move forwards.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You have to make it fun but 6 year olds can start learning technique at a young age. look at Futsal and Brazilian soccer schools. Caring about whether they win games or not at that age is wrong.
  • Options
    The simple fact is our players are over hyped - we fail at tournament after tournament. The idea that it's simply down to the manager is laughable.
    Our players are deluded re their own ability - the Premier League just makes it worse. We have the same debate over and over again.
  • Options

You have to make it fun but 6 year olds can start learning technique at a young age. look at Futsal and Brazilian soccer schools. Caring about whether they win games or not at that age is wrong.

That's what I mean by foundations.
  • Options

Shearer's remarks don't account for Wales being in the quarter finals!

by beating another British team in fairness. Actually Michael O'Neill has done a great job for N.I. .......

• Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options

The simple fact is our players are over hyped - we fail at tournament after tournament. The idea that it's simply down to the manager is laughable.
    Our players are deluded re their own ability - the Premier League just makes it worse. We have the same debate over and over again.

Not a single league winning player in the starting line up and only one was it in the entire squad?