Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v. Iceland

Comments

• Options
    But there is quality there, whether people want to blame the Premier League or not, some of Spurs play this season from Ali & Kane has been incredible. Pottechino for a start plays Ali behind Kane because he knows how well they link up. So what does Hodgson do, plays Ali in a flat midfield three.
  • Options
    roy hodgson as people have said hasnt got a fucking clue what he was doing,

kane taking corners.
    sterling starting again when the whole of england want him banned from france.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

The simple fact is our players are over hyped - we fail at tournament after tournament. The idea that it's simply down to the manager is laughable.
    Our players are deluded re their own ability - the Premier League just makes it worse. We have the same debate over and over again.

Not a single league winning player in the starting line up and only one was it in the entire squad?
    I did see someone ask why Wes Morgan hadnt been picked.

Cant find the quote hence why I've quoted this one (As you mention Leicester)... Am afraid Morgan is Jamaican
  • Options
    I was hinting at we needed a decent midfielder alongside Alli or Rooney as I didn't feel they played that well together, whilst both having o.k tournaments... despite Alli screwing the ball high on every shot!

I feel Drinkwater would have been better than some of our other options, young, decent and willing to fight for a win.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

The simple fact is our players are over hyped - we fail at tournament after tournament. The idea that it's simply down to the manager is laughable.
    Our players are deluded re their own ability - the Premier League just makes it worse. We have the same debate over and over again.

Not a single league winning player in the starting line up and only one was it in the entire squad?
    I did see someone ask why Wes Morgan hadnt been picked.

Cant find the quote hence why I've quoted this one (As you mention Leicester)... Am afraid Morgan is Jamaican
    .....as was explained to 'Arry before the Euro's when he was bemoaning his lack of inclusion in the England squad.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

3 in the starting lineup, 4 in the squad.

Unless you meant only from the season just gone?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Dazzler21 said:

I did indeed mean the season just gone. I.e those on a champions high.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Looking at our constant failure in international football over the last 50 years it can't all be down to the manager. We have the same debate after every tournament.

It seems that we're just not very good however you dress it up. Joe Hart who has played at the top level in the Prem is overhyped - we have a few half decent players and a crap team ethic.

We build up kids in England way beyond their ability and their egos run rampant - a bit of humility and maturity might help. The Icelandic team worked together and outlassed us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Looking at our constant failure in international football over the last 50 years it can't all be down to the manager. We have the same debate after every tournament.

It seems that we're just not very good however you dress it up. Joe Hart who has played at the top level in the Prem is overhyped - we have a few half decent players and a crap team ethic.

We build up kids in England way beyond their ability and THEIR EGOS RUN RAMPANT - A BIT OF HUMILITY AND MATURITY MIGHT HELP. The Icelandic team worked together and outlassed us.
    This is the team that had special grass seed flown in for the pitch at their training camp because the French grass wasn't good enough and who, despite staying in a five star Michelin hotel, had their own food imported. We are not as good as we like to think we are. The 'best league in the world' is only any good because of all the foreign players and managers. You are right, we need a bit of humility and maturity.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Theres a video doing the rounds on facebook of a Charlton fan at the game going mad. Im trying to link the video but it doesnt seem to be working.

https://www.facebook.com/barry.platts.90?fref=nf&pnref=story

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=989354824519213&id=332479200206782
    Lol, If I could lol that twice I would
  • Options
    Someone should've reminded him JBG is a Charlton player.
    Might have cheered him up...it has me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If you break a football side into seven components - its manager, its goalkeeper, its defence, its midfield, its attack, its discipline and its effort, you would be pushed to say any of those categories scored above 5. The only thing we didn't do was get a player sent off so that we had even less chance.

I don't know if it was over-confidence, an off day or what. We looked less organised than previous games and less functional. The idea of Sturridge and Sterling out wide up front made things much worse. It left Rooney to cover far too much of the midfield and no one keeping up any momentum.

Make no mistake, Iceland played well. They bottled up Walker and covered Deli Alli's runs. They also broke quickly and exposed what I consider to be a weak defence. Walker and Rose are very ordinary defensively and Smalling and Cahill are not in the same class as some of the centre backs we have been lucky enough to have in the past.

As for our goalkeeper, well, he's had a terrible time, but he shouldn't shoulder all of the blame.

Perhaps, losing means we have averted a 5-0 defeat to France, which would have been worse - or, at least, we can bask in the thought that the result was one of those things. I am not sure it was. I am not so sure we are that good. Roy had to make the most of what he had. He may not reached the maximum possible, but the team isn't in the same class as other more talented or more disciplined teams in the tournament.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Someone should've reminded him JBG is a Charlton player.
    Might have cheered him up...it has me.

Until he is sold before the season re-starts.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

But there is quality there, whether people want to blame the Premier League or not, some of Spurs play this season from Ali & Kane has been incredible. Pottechino for a start plays Ali behind Kane because he knows how well they link up. So what does Hodgson do, plays Ali in a flat midfield three.

It's not very often I agree with you VG but this is the nail on the head for me.

Why did Hodgson persist with 4-3-3 when no other team in the PL use 4-3-3?! When has anyone played 4-3-3 in the PL?!

Alli has fed Kane all season long playing in the no.10 role with Dier and Dembele mopping up after him and shielding the back four in a 4-5-1 with Lamela and Eriksen in there too with Rose and Walker bombing on, there were options everywhere.

Given Smalling and Cahill were the only viable option at CB due to Stones' poor form, it was crying out for two holding midfielders in front of them as they have playing for their respective clubs (Man Utd pick 2 of Carrick, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger and Chelsea use Matic and Fabregas mainly) in a 4-5-1 as well. Dier fits the bill then although Leicester tend to play 4-4-2, Drinkwater is more than capable of sitting in there. A fully fit Wilshire would be good. (Hmm, thinking about it, if Hoddle gets the nod from the FA, dont be surprised to see Huddlestone come into the fray again!)

That would have allowed 3 of Alli, Stirling, Lallana, Rooney, Barkley to play in behind Kane.

Last night sort of reminded me of AVB's time at Spurs. An insistence on using inverted wingers. Everytime we go in behind their back four last night on the right, Sturridge checked back onto his left foot. Absolute bloody shambles.

Edit: Of course, there are other options than Kane to consider, you know what I mean!
  • Options

Ross said:

Theres a video doing the rounds on facebook of a Charlton fan at the game going mad. Im trying to link the video but it doesnt seem to be working.

I hope he's okay at going viral? Its currently about 187,000 views at the moment. I know the language is bad but honestly he had me howling in the street to the point that people started looking.

• Options

Recognised him from the pubs whilst watching it and was happy as larry when he confirmed he was charlton. I'll give the lad a pat on the back when I see him next. Funny as fuck!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Ross said:

I hope he's okay at going viral? Its currently about 187,000 views at the moment. I know the language is bad but honestly he had me howling in the street to the point that people started looking.
    Are you a dog?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    John Barnes talking out his arse this morning about the fact this young inexperienced team should not be expected to be as successful so soon. Cobblers John. They were young enough and good enough to clean sweep the qualifying stages against lesser experienced teams than Iceland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

hahahahah .. so funny and so true .. and people think that I have an anger management problem .. good on you Barry, tell it like it is
  • Options

From quite a knowledge of Icelandic football - I would pack out the width, rather than squeeze it in the middle. I'd play Clyne in behind Walker on the RW who would tear them to shreds - they have weak links but they can get away with these when everything is pressed. Great crosses and runs from deep will undo them. Their keeper has only been professional for 2 years, they all rate him over there but I think he's a liability and a mistake waiting to happen (as we've seen in their first few games)

Absolutely speechless at the fact Rose and Walker barely got in behind to put a cross in - and Sturridge trying to help out Walker was completely useless. Complete mess start to finish, by the end the formation and players on the pitch was a complete mockery of those watching.

Their keeper and defence was their for the taking, they are very well drilled and we played into that drill. Pathetic.
  • Options

There is some quality there. I said before the tournament started I worried about the lack of depth we have. There are some undoubtedly some very talented players in that squad but likewise we are missing quality in defensive and wide areas. Apart from strikers you look at the bench and there's not a lot there you'd be confident would actually change much when they came on. Look at Wilshere. He shouldn't have gone but the problem is there's a real lack of alternatives to him.

That said the balance of the squad he picked was all wrong. I don't necessarily think he's that good but Townsend would have given at least an alternative to Sterling. Drinkwater should have gone, there was no one else there to take over from Dier and tbh even though playing another holding type player may have seen more defensive, I think if he had done that instead of playing Rooney it would have allowed Alli more space to operate who was clearly crowded out by Rooney or bypassed completely when he played another Hollywood ball.
  • Options
    The second we had the ball in defence they needed to move it up, we could almost skip 6 of their players at some points, atleast 5, with a well placed pass but we were scared. So we went sideways and let them return to their shape.
  • Options

Warning - extreme language from this Charlton fan

Superb -Shakespeare would have been proud.
  • Options
    Is this anyone on here ? It's a Charlton fan going off at the game yesterday.. If you are on FB dig it out, he's great value

• Options
    shine166 said:

Is this anyone on here ? It's a Charlton fan going off at the game yesterday.. If you are on FB dig it out, he's great value

Just realised I'm a bit late lol
  • Options

Warning - extreme language from this Charlton fan

Top man.