Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IF you could change one rule/law in football what would it be?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    This isn't an in-game rule of football, but if a player simulates injury after minimal contact, they can be given an automatic 1-game suspension by a neutral panel of ex-pros after the game

EDIT: Addick In SW16 got there first, BUT it can be incredibly hard to enforce this as referee - much better to do so after the match looking at replays
  • Options

-

When did the kick off rules change? I always thought the ball had to go forward at KO? Or is it just this tournament?

Only just started.
    Good job Henderson don't take the Kick off......... could take a while. ;)
  • Options
    Just like rugby

Id honestly have a sound at the end of injury time to acknowledge time is up, the game then stops the next time it goes out of play.

Would stop all the arguments about whether or not you can take a corner after times up, or wait and see if a goal is still scored whilst teams on the attack.

This is a must for football and wouldn't be surprised if it's in the next world cup.

It makes so much common sense.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, football needs to borrow everything from rugby, of course. Fucked up during the game? Here - drink some vomit out of a sock while braying chauvinist rotary-club airheads call you gay.
  • Options

1) The rule that a player treated for injury has to go off after treatment. It's crazy that a team (where no foul has taken place) may lose a key player for a corner or dangerous free kick

that's semi-changed for next season. players can now be treated on the pitch and stay on if a foul results in a card
  • Options
    Leuth said:

This isn't an in-game rule of football, but if a player simulates injury after minimal contact, they can be given an automatic 1-game suspension by a neutral panel of ex-pros after the game

EDIT: Addick In SW16 got there first, BUT it can be incredibly hard to enforce this as referee - much better to do so after the match looking at replays

no need to bring ladies of the night in to it :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2016

When did the kick off rules change? I always thought the ball had to go forward at KO? Or is it just this tournament?

Rules changed from the 1st June and so far as I'm aware we'll maybe see it at Charlton

Wonder if we'll see someone attempting to score from kick off
    We'll have to get a player who can kick if more than 10 yards first.
  • Options
    Charlton to start with a 3 nil lead to give us chance of a least getting a point
  • Options
    I'd love to see the 10 yard rule like they have in Rugby. Argue with the ref and the free kick moves forward by 10 yards.

Soon shuts the moaning gits up.

Obviously if we signed another 'Johnny Robinson' I'd want this law abolished.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

I'd love to see the 10 yard rule like they have in Rugby. Argue with the ref and the free kick moves forward by 10 yards.

Been done before but it didn't last more than a season or two. Not sure why?
  • Options
    I would have a minimum of 5 UK players in starting line up to try and improve national team.
  • Options
    I'd also add that failure to beat the near post defender when taking a corner should be a hanging offence
  • Options
    rina said:

1) The rule that a player treated for injury has to go off after treatment. It's crazy that a team (where no foul has taken place) may lose a key player for a corner or dangerous free kick

that's semi-changed for next season. players can now be treated on the pitch and stay on if a foul results in a card
    That's an improvement, but where there is an injury without a foul being committed, you can still be seriously penalised if you lose a CB for a corner
  • Options
    I would have no substitutions in the last 10 minutes unless there's an injury approved by ref.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Didn't this come in play for a while a few years back?
  • Options

That no matter where you sit there is a loud mouthed ignorant twat sitting behind you.

Stop sitting on his lap then
  • Options
    edited June 2016

I would have no substitutions in the last 10 minutes unless there's an injury approved by ref.

What happens if there's an injury the ref doesn't approve of?

You might find one who's really keen on broken legs, but only broken legs....
  • Options
    Not so much football, per se, but I'd be delighted if certain "pundits", starting with Jim Beglin and Robbie Savage be banned from providing "expert summaries" of the game.
  • Options

What happens if there's an injury the ref doesn't approve of?
    That's what assistant refs are for, what I mean if the consensus is player must come off then a substitution can be made if any are left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing that's been introduced for certain competitions is having 5 officials.
    But can anyone tell me the benefit of the traditional linesman running the left back line and the goal line linesman running between the goal and the left back corner flag?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Didn't this come in play for a while a few years back?
    Yes . As I said above. I can't remember why they scrapped it though.
  • Options
    I would bring in similar sanctions for linos as exist for players. If during a match (or afterwards by video evidence) a lino prevents a goal scoring opportunity (yellow card) or a goal by flagging wrongly for offside (red card).

Too often goals are prevented or disallowed due to linos getting marginal or close decisions wrong. Decisions where brain/eye coordination is just not up to getting it right often enough to make it any better than guesswork. The result will be more goals. Linos will soon learn to be more careful when they put their flags up.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I would bring in similar sanctions for linos as exist for players. If during a match (or afterwards by video evidence) a lino prevents a goal scoring opportunity (yellow card) or a goal by flagging wrongly for offside (red card).

Too often goals are prevented or disallowed due to linos getting marginal or close decisions wrong. Decisions where brain/eye coordination is just not up to getting it right often enough to make it any better than guesswork. The result will be more goals. Linos will soon learn to be more careful when they put their flags up.

This is the most brilliantly mental thing posted this week, including on the Brexit thread
  • Options
    For corners, anything goes until the ball leaves the penalty box. There's so much shirt pulling and petty fouling that we should do away with any laws of the game until the ball has left the area. So punching, elbowing and kicking is all actively encouraged.
  • Options
    I take it back
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Also on time wasting. Running the ball into the corner should be banned.

Currently the ref or assistant give the throw/goal kick to the defending team anyway, while some twinkle toed forward gets booted from all angles.

It would stop negative play, and stop potentially dangerous play.

Hold onto the ball by all means, but not by running into the corner flag and backing into any defender that tries to get it.

Agree with this, have always hated it, even when we do it (and even when Tony Watt did it brilliantly). If you want to wind the clock down, do it through possession, keeping the ball moving. Not sure how you could enforce, unless it was at ref's discretion, which creates its own issues.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

wasn't this trialled and then scrapped in the early 90s?
  • Options

Time wasting.

You get X number of seconds to take the following else it reverts i.e.

- Goal Kick becomes a Corner or Corner becomes a Goal Kick
    - Throw-In if not taken quick enough is given to the opposition.
    - Free-Kick becomes a Goal Kick

I like this. Similar with kicking the ball away or holding onto the ball. Players do it all the time but are only penalised when it is absolutely booted in the opposite direction. To me, doing anything with the ball that isn't passing it back to where it needs to restart from should be punished.
  • Options

Time wasting.

You get X number of seconds to take the following else it reverts i.e.

- Goal Kick becomes a Corner or Corner becomes a Goal Kick
    - Throw-In if not taken quick enough is given to the opposition.
    - Free-Kick becomes a Goal Kick

I love that first idea - I think it would be a massive improvement. However...

...what if two teams needed a point each to avoid relegation. At half-time, it's 0-0. In the first minute of the second half, one side concedes a corner. The opposition fail to take it. So it becomes a goal kick. And the defending team fails to take it. So it becomes a corner...

We could end up with 45 minutes of watching an increasingly knackered ball boy running the ball between the corner flag and the six-yard box!

(On second thoughts, even that would be more entertaining than some matches...)