Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst FTSE falls in history.

Comments

• Options
    redman said:

redman said:

Don't want to spoil things with any positives, but a weak pound means that the overseas earnings of UK companies, more than 65%, means their revenue increases (unless hedged).

Also, the increase in UK gilt yields means their pension fund deficits shrink because the higher coupon means less capital is needed to generate the same revenue stream to pay pensions. This means extra cash will be available to companies to invest in the business rather than pay into the pension fund.

Pension fund deficits have increased massively over the last few days with the collapse of the stock market. Businesses will have to spend capital to reduce those deficits.

The revenue streams from Gilts already held to pay monthly pensions will be unaffected by increased Gilt yields as those Gilts have already been paid for.

I think it is wrong that deficits have increased. In actuarial valuations liabilities would be discounted. When interest rates rise liabilities reduce and hence reduce deficits and required contributions. One of the reasons for such current high deficits is the very low current interest rates.

Having said all that I don't believe interest rates will increase once things settle down. Once there is a little more certainty about it our rating will be back up again.
    Investments for pensions due to start paying in 10 or more years time will be primarily invested in stock markets and property. I don't see how a collapse in stock market values does not mean that these pensions do not incur increased deficits.
    Because a deficit has 2 sides. It is the difference between assets and liabilities. Liabilities are pensions that have to be paid. If you are paying a pension in 10 years time it is discounted, generally by corporate bond yield rate. so assets could fall but liabilities fall more so deficits fall or maybe even become a surplus.

I think he was asking the question from the point of view of a self-invested personal pension rather than a company scheme.

Anyway, this very fresh article telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/18/pensions-timebomb-faced-by-uk-firms-is-frightening/ suggests that the pension deficit of the 6,000 largest schemes totals £296bn and went up £24bn last month. BT's pension scheme deficit amounts to a quarter of the company's stock market valuation.

Companies will have choices. Shut down the pension schemes, reduce benefits and/or pay more into them. The latter would have profound effects on dividend payments and thus stock market valuations. The former would drastically curtail the spending power of the grey pound. Whatever none of this is good news. Still, at least we've got that money we used to give to the EU, that will help.

Can leaving the EU do anything but exacerbate the situation I wonder? Many pension funds are heavy investors in (commercial) property. It is inevitable that such property will lose value if/when businesses like HSBC ship staff out of Canary Wharf and into Paris. Expect to see vast empty tower blocks coming to you soon. Mind you, converting the towers into accommodation could solve the housing crisis. Not that anybody would be able to afford them.
  • Options
    ockquote class="Quote" rel="se9addick">

Deadly serious it's like a breath of fresh air has been blown over the country

So many people scared of the unknown and if that's your way of viewing the world then I can see why you voted to remain

Me I voted to leave because I have faith and real belief that this will hurt at the beginning but be much more beneficial in the long run for me and my kids and as such I am really looking forward to the future with more zest and vigour than before,

My view is welcoming. In the new and banishing the old

It's not a ride at Chessington, "fear of the Unknown" is completely healthy when we're talking about our countries economic, political and social future. It's talk like this that makes me certain that many, many Brexit voters really don't grasp the magnitude of what they've done.
    Se9 can you tell me exactly what we've done then and where we will be in 3 years time.

• Options
    Well said NLA. This is one of the best posts I have read on this thread.
  • Options
    Some really interesting insights and comments on this thread from both sides, I almost find my view of this result changing with every post.
    I am still mostly unconvinced this has been the best result for this country, but I also think there is such a design flaw in the monetary union idea, that the EU will prove unsustainable in its present form. If that IS the case then dark days would probably be ahead of us whether we are in or out.
    I wonder whether when the dust has settled on this, that we don't end up with some fudging on both sides of the future negotiations between us and the EU so that ties and links are not severed quite as much as the Leave campaign would be expecting.
    Afterall, this is not a legally binding referendum, and behind close doors, views and deals may be quite different.
    But what do I know? That's the continuing problem with this referendum result, I never felt qualified or knowledgeable enough to be able to make a really informed judgement on this, and I think that applies to a lot of us.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

redman said:

redman said:

Don't want to spoil things with any positives, but a weak pound means that the overseas earnings of UK companies, more than 65%, means their revenue increases (unless hedged).

Also, the increase in UK gilt yields means their pension fund deficits shrink because the higher coupon means less capital is needed to generate the same revenue stream to pay pensions. This means extra cash will be available to companies to invest in the business rather than pay into the pension fund.

Pension fund deficits have increased massively over the last few days with the collapse of the stock market. Businesses will have to spend capital to reduce those deficits.

The revenue streams from Gilts already held to pay monthly pensions will be unaffected by increased Gilt yields as those Gilts have already been paid for.

I think it is wrong that deficits have increased. In actuarial valuations liabilities would be discounted. When interest rates rise liabilities reduce and hence reduce deficits and required contributions. One of the reasons for such current high deficits is the very low current interest rates.

Having said all that I don't believe interest rates will increase once things settle down. Once there is a little more certainty about it our rating will be back up again.
    Investments for pensions due to start paying in 10 or more years time will be primarily invested in stock markets and property. I don't see how a collapse in stock market values does not mean that these pensions do not incur increased deficits.
    Because a deficit has 2 sides. It is the difference between assets and liabilities. Liabilities are pensions that have to be paid. If you are paying a pension in 10 years time it is discounted, generally by corporate bond yield rate. so assets could fall but liabilities fall more so deficits fall or maybe even become a surplus.

I think he was asking the question from the point of view of a self-invested personal pension rather than a company scheme.

Anyway, this very fresh article telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/18/pensions-timebomb-faced-by-uk-firms-is-frightening/ suggests that the pension deficit of the 6,000 largest schemes totals £296bn and went up £24bn last month. BT's pension scheme deficit amounts to a quarter of the company's stock market valuation.

Companies will have choices. Shut down the pension schemes, reduce benefits and/or pay more into them. The latter would have profound effects on dividend payments and thus stock market valuations. The former would drastically curtail the spending power of the grey pound. Whatever none of this is good news. Still, at least we've got that money we used to give to the EU, that will help.

Can leaving the EU do anything but exacerbate the situation I wonder? Many pension funds are heavy investors in (commercial) property. It is inevitable that such property will lose value if/when businesses like HSBC ship staff out of Canary Wharf and into Paris. Expect to see vast empty tower blocks coming to you soon. Mind you, converting the towers into accommodation could solve the housing crisis. Not that anybody would be able to afford them.
    There is no difference between a personal pension scheme deficit and a company pension scheme deficit, apart from the fact that individuals are oblivious and don't measure it.

A company measures it because it has to fund it, individuals don't measure it because they assume they only have to maximise investment returns and ignore the interest rate risk.

It's like saving up for a retirement apartment in Florida and thinking you don't have to factor in currency fluctuations between the £ and the $.

If the value of the pension investments in equities goes up by 20% people think happy days my pension has got bigger. Little do they know that if gilt yields have fallen by 25% they have actually lost ground. The reverse is true when markets fall.

Deficits have arisen over the recent past because when equities have grown, gilts have fallen back by a greater margin. The absolute movement in the equity market is irrelevant, it's the relative movement against gilts.

Asset return only affects how much you need to contribute out of your pocket, i.e. what it costs to accumulate any given pension pot, it's interests rates that sit on the other side of the scales and determine what your pension pot delivers as an income. The day pension advisers understand that, the day might come when individuals receive proper risk based asset allocation advice and see an end to churning your money to chase illusory investment growth from illusory manager skills.

Then people might realise the futility of trying to read anything into market volatility because it should already have been factored into the portfolio, should not be a surprise and will understand how gilt yields in an orderly market will compensate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you know on Friday we were still up by 169 points in the FTSE100 from the start of last week? Also, you'll find the European Stock Markets suffered worse than our own markets. Of course, it was inevitable that the markets, share prices and the pound will take a hit because we are going through a un-certain change but long term we'll be ok. It's a good time to buy some shares at the moment!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If you are 10 years away from retirement you will have very little invested in gilts. Most of your fund will be invested in equities. So how are you affected by changes in gilt yields?
  • Options
    @Dippenhall another very good post.

Low central bank interest rates have crucified annuity rates and the size of the pot needs to be much bigger than 5-10 years ago to provide the same benefits.

During accumulation phase, a higher risk weighting is normally recommended because losses have historically always been recovered over time.

As individual pots get closer to retirement, moving to risk free or less risky becomes important to avoid the risk of the pot being crystallised just after a market fall.

As to what rate you can get on an annuity, it depends both on the underlying rate a provider can get investing in gilts and bonds and the riskiness of them. Higher central bank rates helps, higher credit spreads only helps a bit if at all.

As Brexit is likely to lead to lower or negative uk central bank rates, even if overall borrowing costs rise, it may not be beneficial to retirees unless the expectation is that the risk free yield curve steepens compared to before (risk free rates increase at quicker than was previously expected).
  • Options

Bought a few quids worth yesterday of Lloyds shares, ditto Barclays.

They may go down more over next couple of weeks so certainly haven't bet the house on them but they look quite cheap at the mo.

May I ask who your broker is? Some of the spreads I saw on Friday were ridiculous
  • Options
    Never invested in shares much. I opened an IG account to buy some Melexis shares to see if I could get to go to the next AGM.

Been using that account.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Deadly serious it's like a breath of fresh air has been blown over the country

So many people scared of the unknown and if that's your way of viewing the world then I can see why you voted to remain

Me I voted to leave because I have faith and real belief that this will hurt at the beginning but be much more beneficial in the long run for me and my kids and as such I am really looking forward to the future with more zest and vigour than before,

My view is welcoming. In the new and banishing the old

It's not a ride at Chessington, "fear of the Unknown" is completely healthy when we're talking about our countries economic, political and social future. It's talk like this that makes me certain that many, many Brexit voters really don't grasp the magnitude of what they've done.
    I know what I have done, I used my vote to influence change and improvement to my life and that of my family, you chose to do the same but we both wanted different things

Now more people wanted similar to me and less people wanted the same as you

Your belief is that the world is about to spin out of control

My belief is that we are more than able as a nation to over come the adversity and come out thriving

The big difference being those that voted out did so knowing there would be hard times ahead at the beginning but we're undeterred by that fact

This country has gone through extremely tough times whilst in the EU not because of it but whilst in it and still come through them

Being In the EU didn't stop those hard times materialising in the first place

So it is evident that being part of the EU doesn't stop recession doesn't stop housing crisis doesn't stop unemployment reaching record highs or assisting them then reaching record lows

This country coped it coped without being bailed out it coped due to the people within it

Those people are still here and Imo if we can do it whilst being part of the EU then we can do being out of it

We have had two real recessions during our time in the EU

And no doubt we will have to go through that again, but for the last 12months I have heard the words threat of recession on the news every night and that wasn't based on brexit happening but just the state of the world as a whole,

No doubt every bad thing that happens will be blamed on brexit at first but I would bey my last pound that it would probably have happened anyway
    Post of the thread so far, take a bow sir.
  • Options
    Cable 1.34 this morning further weakness against the dollar
  • Options

Cable 1.34 this morning further weakness against the dollar

Or strength of the Dollar as a safe(r) haven ?
  • Options
    FTSE 250 down 6.2% today. Lower than Friday and currently at it's 52 week low. Looks like it'll probably go below 15,000 today. Don't worry, everything will be fine we've got our independence.
  • Options
    Wonderful news, I guess I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a bounce back, tried that with RD and it didn't go well, can I sue?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1.3150 Cable
  • Options
    Below 15,000. 7% drop now.

Remember that small blip in 2008 when the world's economies crashed? The good old days.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

FTSE 250 down 6.2% today. Lower than Friday and currently at it's 52 week low. Looks like it'll probably go below 15,000 today. Don't worry, everything will be fine we've got our independence.

1.3150 Cable

I think we're below €1.19 too - what have we done ?
  • Options
    all the foreigners will now turn up cos it's so cheap in our country for them , better to have them holidaying here than living
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Can we have hourly updates please? This is getting exciting.

Can you start a new thread when it hits a five year low?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

1.3150 Cable

I think we're below €1.19 too - what have we done ?
    Flying on Thursday... Totes should've got my Euros a week early.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

colthe3rd said:

Can we have hourly updates please? This is getting exciting.

Can you start a new thread when it hits a five year low?
    Sure. How about a separate thread when your pension is worth 53p?
  • Options
    I am not too concerned, BoJo said the currency is stable and that the NHS would be getting the lions share of £350m that we won't have to keep giving away.

His non attendance in HoC today must be down to the fact that not much is going on in the world at the moment
  • Options
    Anyone use any good apps for share trading / tracking share prices?
  • Options

Everyone should be aware that markets don't like uncertainty and always fall in the short term.

This is always the time to buy and I've been trading since 9am.

How's it going catching those falling knives?
    I retired at 49, thanks to my sharedealing. Buy when everyone else is selling. So all good.