Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst FTSE falls in history.

Comments

• Options
    Cable 1.33 after reaching a low of 1.3122 values not seen since 1985

Atm Ftse due to come in 70 up around 6050 ish
  • Options
    Stick to the £ oohaah.

The FTSE is strictly col's territory.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Acquire stock by selling out of the money Puts. That way you not only get the premium for selling the put, but in addition, you only actually buy the stock if it drops to an even lower level. If you do acquire the stock, then sell an out of the money Call, another premium + the capital growth if your stock moves higher beyond your strike price, win, win. I use Interactive Brokers, great trading platform and cheap trades.
  • Options

Did this ever happen when we were in the EU

Hmmmmmm

Not to hard to find that out,some of you really do need to man the fuck up

Pretty sure it happened in 2008 and everyone banged on about what a bunch of tossers bankers were/are for causing it. Now it seems that those that voted 'Leave' caused it we should all 'man the fuck up' rather than be upset about their selfish motives?

Interesting how people's perspectives change I guess.
    The difference between then and now is the bank's weren't solely to blame for the crash but we took it on the chin, accepted things needed to change and got on with doing so and made a lot of money in the process. Now, we have a scenario where we've got a referendum outcome that has unintended consequences for those sections of society that voted out because they see themselves a victim of some real or perceived injustice or other and they thought things will be better if the UK is out. The reality is that like 2008, those that were doing nicely before the crash were the ones to get on with it and do nicely out of the changing regime. I suspect those Sunderland, Margate etc Brexiters who voted out because they had a grievance with immigrants, benefits, the NHS etc are going to find nothing is going to get better for them (because eventually when the dust has settled, nothing will basically change, in or out) and those that get on with their lives and take whatever opportunities arise will do nicely.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just had a look to see where it's best to go on holiday in the summer. There's one country where the pound is worth 10% more than this time last year.

Iceland.

That explains why Mum goes there
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Just had a look to see where it's best to go on holiday in the summer. There's one country where the pound is worth 10% more than this time last year.

Iceland.

They probably love it when they see the English have got Sterling
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Covered End, have you used any apps before you recommend to trade shares / track prices, also how does it work these days, do you still get a paper share certificate, or do you get a certificate by email?

How much does it roughly cost to trade, any advice much appreciated!

I use Halifax sharedealingonline & they hold the shares in nominee names, so you have no faff with share certificates.

I often use Legal & General for things like ISA'S as their tracker fund fees, for say the FTSE All Share Index is low.

• Options

Hmmmmmm

The whole point is that - had we voted the other way - the economy would have been booming today. Pound soaring, and FTSE flying high.

Its not about ifs, buts or maybes. You are still in pre result mode. This is real life.

It is tanking BECAUSE of the choice the nation voted. You may as well have ticked a box that said 'economy tank from tomorrow please'.
    Rome wasn't built in a day. We won't see the benefit for 5-10 years, but hopefully it will be a lot better for our children, who may find a decent paid job and be able to afford somewhere to live.
    Bugger the people that are struggling now then. There is a chance that one day in the future things might, potentially, if all goes to plan, best case scenario, be a bit better off than now. I mean they'll get to continue to pay back the deficit which is larger than it is now so there is that too, but 10 years further down the line people might be in a better position.
    That's not what I said & it's certainly not what I meant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would the markets be higher at 9:30AM this morning had we stayed? Yes - thats about the only sure fire thing so far.
  • Options
    If only his charlatanism was restricted to economic matters.
  • Options

Hmmmmmm

Pretty sure it happened in 2008 and everyone banged on about what a bunch of tossers bankers were/are for causing it. Now it seems that those that voted 'Leave' caused it we should all 'man the fuck up' rather than be upset about their selfish motives?

Bit different - it would probably be argued that the bankers had caused it through actions linked to personal financial gain.
    Where as leavers have voted democratically for something they believe in and which they believe (rightly or wrongly) will be of benefit to our Country.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

A scathing article from a paper who's not championed Brexit or Remain - the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/opinion/this-is-just-the-start-of-the-brexits-economic-disaster.html

With economic opportunities stunted, everyone will suffer for Leave voters wrongly blaming hard-working, taxpaying European migrants for everything they dislike about modern Britain and wrongly trusting economic charlatans like Mr. Gove.

"Economic charlatan". I like that.

Philippe Legrain does have his own agenda though and he is the author of that article.

His new book/research advocates welcoming refugees as 1 euro spent on a refugee equates to 2 euros gained over 5 years....

He is a former adviser to the European Commission too.

I read the article this morning on the rattler and had steam coming out of my ears at two of the paragraphs.
  • Options

Hmmmmmm

Bit different - it would probably be argued that the bankers had caused it through actions linked to personal financial gain.
    Where as leavers have voted democratically for something they believe in and which they believe (rightly or wrongly) will be of benefit to our Country.
    There will be some Brexit voters (no idea how many) who will be happy to reduce or stop immigration, even knowing that it'll reduce GDP. Japan is a bit like that, an ageing and shrinking population, but wanting to maintain its own homogeneous culture.

Indeed, if Britain had done a deal with Hitler to let him have the rest of Europe, we'd have been better off financially. Money isn't everything
  • Options

Hmmmmmm

Not sure I entirely agree. Most voters vote on the basis of what they think is right for them personally not necessarily the country collectively. Plenty of posts on this forum have shown that.

It could be argued that bankers got carried away with a general feeling of no boom and bust as even confirmed by our PM at the time and took risks because they thought they were indestructible without any expert advisors to guide them away whereas we had plenty of experts predicting recession should we leave the EU but people chose to ignore that advice.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of tosser bankers but I just find it interesting that people are very quick to blame when it is not them and quick to find deflection if there isahance it may be them.

No matter, it is massively early days in all this and with luck the market will settle and find a new equilibrium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:

Cameron has added to that uncertainty. He should be put against a wall and shot. He originally promised a referendum and said he would respect the vote. If he hadn't campaigned in the fantasy way he did he could have stayed on for a period of time so we rapidly could enter and conclude terms of Exit. He has added to the panic.

Personally thought he should have stayed neutral so that he could then deliver the verdict. By being so passionate about remain and so anti-leave, he shot himself in the foot. Osborne has had to make a huge u-turn too after some of the pitiful threats he made. He has lost a lot of respect from many people.

• Options
    I think the politics will play out like this:

Tory Leadership contest - Boris Wins
    Labour Leadership contest - Tom Watson / Angela Eagle (or someone else to do with golf) wins
    Parliament votes on Bexit - loses - Brexit on hold.
    General Election - Hung Parliament
    Coalition Government - Referendum called on Brexit
    Brexit canceled.
    Politicians on all sides say "don't blame us for the chaos - we didn't win the General Election outright"
  • Options

redman said:

Cameron has added to that uncertainty. He should be put against a wall and shot. He originally promised a referendum and said he would respect the vote. If he hadn't campaigned in the fantasy way he did he could have stayed on for a period of time so we rapidly could enter and conclude terms of Exit. He has added to the panic.

Personally thought he should have stayed neutral so that he could then deliver the verdict. By being so passionate about remain and so anti-leave, he shot himself in the foot. Osborne has had to make a huge u-turn too after some of the pitiful threats he made. He has lost a lot of respect from many people.

What u-turn? What pitiful threats?
  • Options
    Interesting article Grapevine

We're at the top of the market. The world economy slowed down when the USA tapered off their qe. Government and personal debt in the developed world is at the highest levels ever recorded. Whilst I've not seen many major productivity increases across the board since 2008: I believe it's a lower increase than predicted in nearly every developed country. Any crash/price fall that sustains is due to underlying economic fundamentals, not to the shock that started the markets testing themselves.

Leavers remind me of Dr.Pangloss, but without any phillosophy behind their statehood. It does amuse me when they say we shouldn't be told by anyone how to run our borders/country by European bureaucrats and undemocratic legislating. But upon exit those lovely German car manufacturers won't allow any bar to free trade. Don't worry elected representatives will do the right thing when forced to by unelected big business. Yeah neo liberals free marketarians will have your back. Managed decline.
  • Options
    Anyone got the current price of Cable?
  • Options
  • Options

It will extend to every household who will pullback from the planned investment in the new house, the new car (with my modest resources I personally will no longer commit to this planned purchase for the forseeable future), the new television, the same holiday etc., etc.,

Grapevine, why won't you be buying a car as planned ?
  • Options
    Grapevine

Great post and very interesting well balanced view as normal

I found the brexit referendum a real thought provoking and proactive situation, the responsibility of the way the path can be changed placed upon the people of our country, now I knew from the very beginning that there would be so much made on immigration yet I hoped and I still believe that the vast majority of people who voted would do so with a balanced and non bigoted way,

I hoped that many would do research not be afraid to ask questions but still have a broad enough mind to make their decision on what they have discovered in the context of what that meant to them not from the point of view of the person explaining or answering questions,

I also knew that this decision will have a negative effect in the short to mid term, but the magnitude of the opportunity to decide on the whole member non member vote compelled me to think longer term and what my children may have more control over and be governed by,

I really don't like free movement I have said why enough times the pros do not outweigh the cons for me and that's a big part for me not immigration I don't mean that part of it, I do not like the way that there's no controls between countries there should be Imo especially in the time of world we live in

I also believe long term and it may be incorrect but that financially we will come through stronger long term

I never really felt European I have always felt British we are part of Europe and still will be, I am well traveled I am not by any means narrow minded or little Englander and I think that as a nation we are a great country we have a lot to offer and yet I feel that the EU turned it's back on us and left us with mo choice